[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz says yet again that he isn't leaving  (Read 7365 times)

tower912

• All American
Buzz says yet again that he isn't leaving
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
http://www.insidemilwaukee.com/Article/1182011-BelievingBuzzWilliams

Something huge is going to have to happen for MU to lose this guy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Buzz says yet again that he isn't leaving
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
There are around 6-9 programs that might be able to take him from us.  Let me know when someone like: Texas, UNC, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Arizona, or UCLA come calling.

Everything else is a lateral move.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
Does that include competing in the reincarnation of Conference USA?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Could everyone please, please stop the Chicken Little Great Midwest Horizon Conference USA Redux crap?  The following teams are NOT leaving the Big East, nor were they EVER in the much feared Mid-Major hell holes some of these posters are so worried about: Nova, St. John's, Georgetown and ND.  Add Memphis (they have no problem recruiting) and Temple and keeping Rutgers, Cinci, Prov, Seton Hall, SF and DePaul.....yeah, real lackluster conference with no appeal.  THEN, go after the Zags and Butler and give the one finger salute to all the defector knuckleheads getting the snot beat out of them day in and day out in the rugged ACC.   ::)
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:56:17 PM »
There are around 6-9 programs that might be able to take him from us.  Let me know when someone like: Texas, UNC, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Arizona, or UCLA come calling.

Explain "lateral move."

MU is not simply right behind those schools in terms of prestige or success. UConn, Michigan State, Ohio State, Florida, Maryland and several others are definitely well above us.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
 Maryland? When did Gary Williams come back? Maryland is on the decline, Ohio State hasn't done too much with their high seeds lately. I think Marquette is a top 15 program. With the money they pour in and the dedication to the program the coach should feel honored to be here.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »
Maryland? When did Gary Williams come back? Maryland is on the decline, Ohio State hasn't done too much with their high seeds lately. I think Marquette is a top 15 program. With the money they pour in and the dedication to the program the coach should feel honored to be here.

The best thing that happened to Maryland in many years is the retirement of Gary Williams. He admitted that he hated recruiting...yet his program still won. The new coach is taking advantage of the fact that Maryland is near strong high school programs and he is doing really well froma  recruiting standpoint. They arent on the way down...they are on the way up. There is no reason Maryland shouldnt be a national power.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »
http://www.insidemilwaukee.com/Article/1182011-BelievingBuzzWilliams

Something huge is going to have to happen for MU to lose this guy.   

The guy survived something huge over the last six months and hasn't budged.

He knows his power.

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
Is it just the fact that it's early morning, or did the writing in this article make you pause too many times? I found it uncomfortable to read.
I'm Ron Burgundy?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
Explain "lateral move."

MU is not simply right behind those schools in terms of prestige or success. UConn, Michigan State, Ohio State, Florida, Maryland and several others are definitely well above us.

I want to see what happens to UConn, Cuse and Michigan St once their coaches are done. I dont think those programs can simply grab whoever they want, and instead will probably end up hiring from within the first time. Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina are the only true blue-bloods. After that Indiana, UCLA and Duke, and then another drop off to the big  state schools with strong bball commitment like Texas, Florida, Arizona, Syracuse, UConn, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, etc. Buzz will not leave for just everyone of those schools, but he could leave for a few. Whenever any of those schools goes looking, I would start to sweat a bit.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
Is it just the fact that it's early morning, or did the writing in this article make you pause too many times? I found it uncomfortable to read.

I actually thought the article was funny, and informative.  It is written in a casual style, but I liked the humor. 

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
I thought the article was pretty solid.  I liked how it referenced Buzz's answer to Boston Globe's Bob Ryan press conference question.

I know that there's a link to the text of the interview, but was curious if anybody has the audio/video format somewhere? 

I remember watching off of Syracuse's website (which I always thought was odd), but can't find it on YouTube or anywhere.

Despite being arguably one of the most long-winded answers in press conference history (I thought Bob Ryan said in all his years of reporting, it was the most genuine, in-depth answer that he's ever received from a question), it should be archived somewhere for MU fans.

RyanConroy

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
Why do even many of you refuse to believe him? I think UNC could come calling at the end of this season and he wouldn't be interested.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
I thought the article was pretty solid.  I liked how it referenced Buzz's answer to Boston Globe's Bob Ryan press conference question.

I know that there's a link to the text of the interview, but was curious if anybody has the audio/video format somewhere? 

I remember watching off of Syracuse's website (which I always thought was odd), but can't find it on YouTube or anywhere.

Despite being arguably one of the most long-winded answers in press conference history (I thought Bob Ryan said in all his years of reporting, it was the most genuine, in-depth answer that he's ever received from a question), it should be archived somewhere for MU fans.
It is an absolute tragedy that Buzz's answer to that question could be found on the Syracuse website and not MU's.  Buzz laid down 8 minutes of GOLD.  Seeing the video was almost moving - reading it in print doesn't do it complete justice.  MU should be using that as a primary recruiting tool - and have it featured prominently on the GoMarquette site.  As the article was titled in the Houston Chronicle:  If you don't like Marquette coach Buzz Williams now, you will after reading his story."

It is this type of omission that gives me virtually ZERO confidence in the administration/athletic department - with regard to anything: conference realignment, how it handled the allegations of sexual impropriety, the name change, the ridiculous press conference with Broeker and Buzz on the allegations...basically...you name it...MU administration fumbles/bungles a lot.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »
It is an absolute tragedy that Buzz's answer to that question could be found on the Syracuse website and not MU's.  Buzz laid down 8 minutes of GOLD.  Seeing the video was almost moving - reading it in print doesn't do it complete justice.  MU should be using that as a primary recruiting tool - and have it featured prominently on the GoMarquette site.  As the article was titled in the Houston Chronicle:  If you don't like Marquette coach Buzz Williams now, you will after reading his story."

It is this type of omission that gives me virtually ZERO confidence in the administration/athletic department - with regard to anything: conference realignment, how it handled the allegations of sexual impropriety, the name change, the ridiculous press conference with Broeker and Buzz on the allegations...basically...you name it...MU administration fumbles/bungles a lot.

Really.  Really.

The fact that Marquette failed to post a link reaffirms the fact you ZERO confidence in them. Just making sure.  The same administration that hired Buzz in this first place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
Well, I do think that it does speak to some ineptitude in the SID office...which I have spoken about here repeatedly.  Their work is not impressive at all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
Well, sure, it's easy for him to say these things now. But what it a big job opens up in Big 12 country?
Oh, wait ....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
I agree with others that it is terrible that the video of "Buzz's press conference" is not permanently posted on GoMarquette.com. If anyone does know where to find the video of that, please do post it. It is a gem. After making a few of my non-MU buddies listen to it, they immediately fell in love with Buzz.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
If folks are so desperate to see it on GoMarquette.com, pickup the phone and call the athletic department.  Good grief.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
Does anyone know the link to watch the interview where he answers Bob Ryans question?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
Don't mess with happy. Just about sums it all up.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Don't mess with happy. Just about sums it all up.
;D
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »

It's Indiana!  It's Indiana!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
No one else kind of thinks that posting the video on gomarquette.com would look a little pathetic?

"LOOK! LOOK! WE'RE A REAL PROGRAM! OUR COACH EVEN SAYS HE DOESN'T WANT TO LEAVE!"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »
Well, sure, it's easy for him to say these things now. But what it a big job opens up in Big 12 country?
Oh, wait ....

If a school like Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Texas A&M called, he'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Seriously, though, I think this summer showed Buzz isn't going anywhere. Call me crazy, but I honestly think that if Coach K retired and Duke called up Buzz to be his replacement, he might just turn them down. What does Buzz really need? A high salary? He's got that. A place where he can recruit at a high level? Getting guys like Blue, Jamil, Juan, and Steve Taylor proves he's getting there. Great facilities? He's got them. Job security? He has more here already than he'd have at any school he went to. A good place to raise his family? Sounds like he has that too.

Maybe he's a great con artist and just has me fooled. But from what he's said, from the force with which he's said it, and from meeting him, he's got me convinced. He'll be here as long as we'll have him. I really truly believe that. And I don't think there's any "It's Indiana, It's Indiana", or "It's Kansas, It's Kansas", or "It's North Carolina, It's North Carolina", or even "It's Texas, It's Texas" coming from this guy. I honestly don't think there's a program in the country he'd leave here for.

As muwarrior69 quoted, "Don't mess with happy".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.