[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Blue Ribbon Marquette Preview  (Read 3468 times)

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Blue Ribbon Marquette Preview
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7120404/blue-ribbon-2011-12-college-basketball-preview-marquette-golden-eagles

COACH AND PROGRAM

Fans of the Marquette Golden Eagles are a skittish bunch with regard to their coach -- and with good reason.

After years of off-season rumors that had Tom Crean leaving Marquette to go here and go there, the architect of the massive rebuilding project that culminated in the Golden Eagles' Dwyane Wade-led Final Four appearance in 2003 finally did leave.

That was in April of 2008, when Crean departed for perhaps an even more daunting rebuilding project at Indiana.

His replacement, native Texan Buzz Williams, certainly didn't seem to fit the profile of a Big East coach at a small, Catholic school in the Midwest. There were questions galore regarding his age, approach and acumen -- all of which seemed legitimate at the time, considering the Hall of Fame-caliber coaches he'd be facing on almost a nightly basis in the Big East.

Yet in each of his first two years, Williams led Marquette to double-digit wins in league play and then the NCAA Tournament despite a glaring lack of size and depth.

It was exactly the type of coaching job that caught the eye of various athletic directors at other major institutions looking for an architect to help rebuild their program. And exactly the type of scenario that Marquette fans feared would happen again, just as they'd realized they'd hit the jackpot with another young, energetic, winning coach.

Ultimately, Williams stuck with Marquette, receiving a sweetened deal to do so. End of story, right?

Wrong.

The Golden Eagles were en route to their deepest advancement in the NCAA Tournament since 2003 when the coaching carousel began spinning again. And this time, the job openings seemed to make a whole lot of sense for Williams, whose deep recruiting ties in the Southwest, both on the high school and junior college circuits, were an obvious perk.

First, reports had Arkansas as a possible destination. The Razorbacks, though, wound up luring former Nolan Richardson assistant Mike Anderson back from Missouri.

Then, Oklahoma entered the fray. Having jettisoned Jeff Capel, the Sooners were looking to rebuild a program expected to be hit hard for NCAA rules infractions. They were in the Big 12, had money to burn and offered Williams the chance to flourish over time in an area in his recruiting wheelhouse.

Yet five days after Marquette's 81-63 loss to North Carolina in the Sweet 16 in Newark, N.J., Williams agreed to another sweetened deal with Marquette. A rollover contract, this one would pay him $2.5 million a year to remain in charge of the Golden Eagles.

"I wanted to handle it as transparently as possible," said Williams, a rarity in the college game in that he handles his own negotiations and doesn't utilize an agent. "We played relatively late in the season. There was a lot of speculation. I don't think that my focus ever changed. I probably handled it in an immature way in that I just tried to tell everybody the truth. I'm not trying to pull any punches; I just say what I believe. I never want the program to be about me, what I'm doing, who's talking to me. I think it should always be about the players."

Crisis averted, in the eyes of Marquette fans. Until early May, that is, when Gary Williams' abrupt retirement at Maryland started the carousel spinning again.

This time, Texas A&M's Mark Turgeon headed to Maryland, leaving Texas A&M -- the same school at which Buzz Williams rose to prominence as a recruiter for Billy Gillispie not all that long ago -- in the market for a replacement.

As expected, the Aggies did their due diligence. Williams was likely their No. 1 target, but his re-worked deal with Marquette also included a massive buyout that made him untouchable. Billy Kennedy wound up as the Aggies' choice, and finally, by mid-May, Marquette fans could finally breathe easy knowing they'd have their coach around for the 2011-12 season -- and probably much longer.

"I've been so nomadic in my career that I guess I haven't spent enough time anywhere to think that would be the dream job," Williams said. "I think Texas A&M's a really good place. I admire what it's built on, what it's about. I think Billy Kennedy's a really good coach. It's a different job today than it was when I worked there."

The 2010-11 season was a rollercoaster in many ways for Williams and his Golden Eagles, coaching rumors aside.

Marquette went into the Big East season lacking in any sort of marquee wins, having dropped a pair of games to Duke and Gonzaga at the CBE Classic in Kansas City, a home game to Wisconsin and a game at Vanderbilt in which the Commodores scored in the final seconds thanks to a blown defensive assignment by the Golden Eagles.

A 79-74 victory over West Virginia on New Year's Day started the ball rolling. That was followed by a hard-fought win at Rutgers.

Marquette suffered an 89-81 loss at Pittsburgh, then bounced back two days later with possibly its most complete game of the season, a nationally televised 79-57 whipping of Notre Dame.

Then, five days later, the roof caved in. Up by 18 points at Louisville with 5:44 remaining in the game, and having already sent a fair number of Cardinals fans to the exit, the Golden Eagles suffered a collapse for the ages. Another blown defensive assignment in the closing seconds allowed Kyle Kuric to score the winning basket in a 71-70 loss that was crushing at the time but in many ways wound up being a watershed moment for the team.

Marquette went on to lose five of its next eight games, with its first-ever win over Syracuse as a member of the Big East highlighting that span. A win over Seton Hall evened the Golden Eagles' record at 7-7 to set the stage for a showdown with Connecticut at the XL Center in Hartford.

The Huskies, who'd eventually go on to win the NCAA title, had won in Milwaukee a month earlier. And they threatened to run away and hide in the rematch as well. But Marquette never folded, hit some big shots down the stretch and eventually pulled out a 74-67 overtime victory.

Williams believes the loss at Louisville helped set the stage for that win.

"Losing at Louisville, and the way that game played out, I think the memory and the scars of that loss was hard to deal with," Williams said. "But I also believe that if it wasn't for those scars, and our growth from those scars, I don't know that we would have had the wherewithal to do that without experiencing some hurt before that."

The NCAA Tournament appeared to be a foregone conclusion with the Golden Eagles having upped their record to 9-7 heading into a manageable close to their schedule -- at home against Cincinnati and at Seton Hall.

Marquette played awfully in both, leaving itself in a tough position: needing to win at least one, and probably two, games in the Big East Tournament to have a real shot at the NCAAs.

"We were in a great spot. One at home, one on the road, and we did nothing. We completely peed down our leg, me included, the last week of the season," Williams said. "The only tournament we were assured of playing in was the NIT at that point."

But Marquette did just enough to make the field of 68, beating Providence and West Virginia in its first two games at Madison Square Garden, and entered the NCAAs as an 11th seed in Cleveland.

A first-round win over Xavier was an upset in seeding only, as the Golden Eagles had little trouble in dispatching the Musketeers. Their second-round win over Big East brethren Syracuse was a different story completely, sparking an emotional impromptu celebration on media row between Williams and his family afterward at Quicken Loans Arena.

Winning that one allowed Marquette to punch its ticket to the Sweet 16, where it faced North Carolina in the very same building -- the Prudential Center -- in which they'd nearly seen their NCAA tournament hopes dashed with the loss to Seton Hall.

The Golden Eagles' magical run ended at the hands of the Tar Heels, in a game that threatened to end as embarrassingly as their Final Four game against Kansas in 2003. Only a strong second half allowed Marquette to close the final deficit to a respectable 81-63 by the final horn.

Considering all that had transpired in the months before, the NCAA run was an exciting way to end the season, the first-half showing against North Carolina aside.

"It was gratifying," Williams said.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Re: Blue Ribbon Marquette Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
PLAYERS

PG - Junior Cadougan (6-1, 205 lbs., JR, #5, 4.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.2 apg, 19.8 mpg, .442 FG, .152 3PT, .638 FT, Christian Life Center Academy/Humble, Texas/Toronto, Ontario). Cadougan is about as pure a table-setting point guard as Marquette has had in awhile, a guy who very rarely hunts for his shot -- especially from the perimeter.

But there he was, wide-open a few steps behind the three-point line at the XL Center on Feb. 24 taking, and making, just his second career three-pointer with the shot clock winding down. Darius Johnson-Odom's drive with 5.3 seconds left sent the game into overtime, where Marquette eventually hung on to win.

It was a gutsy play by a gutsy guy, who battled back against all odds to play the final 12 games of his freshman year after rupturing his right Achilles' tendon in preseason workouts. And with the starting point guard spot now all his, Cadougan's charge will be to keep improving his offense while also running the team the way Williams needs it to be run.

"For him to even catch it, knowing, 'This is my shot,' is just as much a sign of his confidence level to me, that he was confident enough to shoot it," Williams said. "I love Junior. I'm inspired by his spirit as a human being. I've learned as much from him in two years as I have maybe than any player I've been around as a person."

SG - Darius Johnson-Odom (6-2, 215 lbs., SR, #1, 15.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.4 apg, 30.0 mpg, .433 FG, .364 3PT, .708 FT, Hutchinson CC/Hutchinson, Kansas/Wakefield HS/Raleigh, N.C.). After two seasons of playing the Robin to others' Batman, the left-handed Johnson-Odom will have to flip-flop roles as a senior and become the Golden Eagles' go-to guy.

Offensively, there's little question he can do it. After a slow start to his junior season, "DJO" finally found his range from the perimeter, which in turn opened up his ability to drive the basketball more consistently.

His 71 three-pointers helped him finish seventh in the Big East in scoring en route to being chosen second-team all-league, and he comes into this season as the second-leading returning scorer behind only Pittsburgh's Ashton Gibbs.

"If he is a first team all-conference selection from the other 15 coaches' perspectives, the only way that happens is if he becomes a lock-down defender," Williams said. "If he's going to be that guy, and we're going to be that team, we're going to need him at times to guard [the opposing team's] DJO. He's willing to, but he's got to produce and prove, 'I can do that.'"

With no established backup behind Cadougan, Johnson-Odom might also be asked to run the point from time to time. He can do so, but it also takes away from his primary strength, which is obviously scoring the basketball.

SF - Jamil Wilson (6-7, 220 lbs., SO, #0, 4.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.0 apg, 16.9 mpg, .427 FG, .281 3PT, .741 FT in 2009-10, Horlick HS/Racine, Wis./University of Oregon). Wilson was one of the most highly rated prep prospects to come out of Wisconsin in a decade when he signed with Oregon rather than stay closer to home.

Marquette and Wisconsin both recruited him, but the interest was somewhat tepid, as Wilson developed a reputation as a moody and inconsistent player who relied too much on his natural ability rather than work at his game.

The measurables were tempting enough for then-Oregon coach Ernie Kent to roll the dice and bring Wilson into the fold. While he probably played better than the average freshman, Wilson didn't set the world on fire for the Ducks, either, and had fallen out of the rotation by the end of the 2009-10 season.

Not long thereafter, Kent lost his job. With no interest in playing for a new coach so far away from home, Wilson quietly began exploring transfer options. Marquette, only about a 30-minute car ride north from his hometown of Racine, seemed to be a perfect fit.

The major question was, how would Wilson adapt to Williams' style of coaching that, at times, can overwhelm players? As it turned out, player and coach got along just fine in Wilson's redshirt year.

Now, Wilson will be counted upon to play a major role in his first year of eligibility for the Golden Eagles. And while plenty will need to shake out between the open of practice and the first game, it would appear as though Wilson will slide into the small-forward role that has been filled by Matthews and Butler in recent years.

Some program insiders have said athletically speaking, Wilson is the best the Golden Eagles have seen since Wade. With a year of conditioning and indoctrination, he'll be expected to make a major impact right out of the gate.

"I've held Jamil to the fire as a redshirt, but haven't had the opportunity to do so with him wearing a uniform," Williams said. "From Labor Day last year to Labor Day this year, he's made huge strides. I think his talent is unquestionable. He's a lot tougher. He's grown up a lot."

PF - Jae Crowder (6-6, 235 lbs., SR, #32, 11.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.6 apg, 27.6 mpg, .485 FG, .359 3PT, .616 FT, Villa Rica HS/Villa Rica, Ga./ Howard College/Big Spring, Texas). Crowder turned out to be another junior college gem for Williams, just as Johnson-Odom has.

A season after leading Howard College to the NJCAA national title and being chosen the NJCAA player of the year, Crowder stepped into a prominent role from the get-go for the Golden Eagles and by the start of the Big East season was one of Williams' three most indispensable players.

Crowder made his Big East debut with a career-high 29 points in a New Year's Day win over West Virginia, and then scored 25 in the Golden Eagles' first win over Syracuse. And while his burly frame allowed him to lead Marquette in rebounding, he also proved to be a good enough three-point shooter to knock down 34.5 percent of his tries -- a few of which in crunch time helped the Golden Eagles avoid an upset at South Florida.

Crowder will be expected to be even better this season while playing much the same role. Defensively, his biggest challenges remain being able to guard opponents who sometimes stand four inches taller and outweigh him by a good deal in the paint, as well as avoiding the foul trouble that led to him sitting out large chunks of games.

Not surprisingly, Marquette often didn't fare well with Crowder sitting on the bench for long stretches.

"He was so critical to our success from the day he got here," Williams said. "He's such a linchpin to what we're doing offensively and defensively. What we have to have from him this year is his maturity has to continue to increase. His spirit and engagement in what's going on every single day is where we need to help him continue to grow. His IQ, instincts, toughness and skill set are good, but he's got to become the guy that everybody can count on every day -- not just physically, but mentally and emotionally."

C - Chris Otule (6-11, 265 lbs., JR, #42, 5.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 17.6 mpg, .553 FG, .000 3PT, .583 FT, Fort Bend Bush HS/Richmond, Texas). Otule has grown in every way possible since arriving at Marquette.

He's bigger, stronger and, perhaps most important, much more confident in himself and his game after spending two injury-marred years as a classic big-man project.

Otule, who has only one eye because of a childhood bout with glaucoma, won't ever become a post scorer extraordinaire at Marquette. But with capable scorers all around him, he doesn't need to, either.

What Williams wants from Otule is a consistent 20-22 minutes per game, in which he'll rebound and block shots effectively, be able to guard ball screens capably and just be the type of post player that can hold his own for long stretches in the ever-physical Big East.

"If he can continue to grow at the pace that he has since he's been here, the back end of his career will be special," Williams said. "I think that will impact our team in a way that any of our teams have been impacted thus far, to have a guy that big. He won't ever be the best player on the floor, but he's learned to work hard enough to have a chance to be the best player. Very few guys understand that."

G - Vander Blue (6-4, 200 lbs., SO, #2, 5.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.6 apg, 19.0 mpg, .394 FG, .160 3PT, .608 FT, Madison Memorial HS/Madison, Wis.). Blue arrived at Marquette last season as one of the most highly rated recruits since the early 1980s.

Because of his background, having grown up in Madison and reneged on a verbal commitment he made as a high school sophomore to play for the Wisconsin Badgers, the spotlight was that much brighter.

By the time all was said and done, though, Blue's freshman season could be described no other way than as a huge disappointment.

While he earned plenty of playing time because of his advanced ability to defend, as well as play multiple positions, offensively Blue was a lost cause. His perimeter game was non-existent, and because of that opponents backed off him and dared him to drive to the basket.

The results often weren't pretty, and he scored in double figures just once in 18 Big East games, while failing to score in 11 others (including postseason).

This figures to be a pivotal season for the sophomore.

"There were times when he was really, really bad. And there were times when he was good, and he helped us," Williams said. "I think he will be a swing vote for our team because of his ability not just physically, but because of his ability to be a leader. He's a phenomenal athlete, he plays really hard and he's not soft by any stretch. I think the natural progression like most freshmen to sophomores have is really going to help him."

F - Davante Gardner (6-8, 290 lbs., SO, #54, 4.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.3 apg, 9.0 mpg, .576 FG, .754 FT, King's Fork HS/Suffolk, Va.). Whereas Blue arrived at Marquette with all kinds of fanfare, Gardner arrived under the radar and well north of 300 pounds on the scale.

As a sophomore, Gardner has become one part of the Golden Eagles' two-headed monster at center. And he's about 30 pounds lighter with increased athleticism -- the result of a strict diet and workout regimen that's helped make him a surprisingly effective low-post scorer.

His ability to get a basket when Marquette needs one is valuable, as is his penchant for drawing fouls, and allows Williams to mix and match him with Otule depending upon what the situation calls for at the time.

His playing time will continue to be limited by the fact he's still a below-average defender.

"He has had a phenomenal spring and summer with regard to his body and his motivation," Williams said. "The key is, now that we add basketball to that, we continue to make basketball a priority. He's the first pick in any YMCA league, 33 and over. When he catches the ball, he's like, 'I'm scoring, or I'm passing to lead directly to a score.' He does things with the ball you can't coach."

F - Jamail Jones (6-6, 210 lbs., SO, #22, 1.5 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.2 apg, 6.1 mpg, .310 FG, .250 3PT, 1.000 FT, Montverde Academy, Montverde, Fla./Atlanta, Ga.). Physically, Jones passes the eyeball test.

Unfortunately for him, there's a whole lot more to playing at the high-major level than that, though, which is why he struggled to see the floor much as a freshman.

Jones has the ability to fill it up from long range, and can also score around the basket because of his frame and athleticism. But until he begins to show he can defend consistently, his playing time is more than likely going to continue to be spotty.

Just getting into the regular rotation as a sophomore is a realistic goal to shoot for as a sophomore.

"He really struggled with the intensity of what it is to be a student-athlete at Marquette, just the totality of it," said Williams. "I think that he now understands how hard you have to work to have a chance. His work ethic was never bad; it was just ill-prepared for what this was. Now, I think his physical talent will be able to be shown more."

F - Juan Anderson (6-6, 210 lbs., FR, #10, 16.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 5.0 apg, Castro Valley HS/Castro Valley, Calif.). The story isn't all that unfamiliar: Williams attends an AAU tournament to watch another player, sees Anderson, falls in love with his potential and offers him a scholarship.

What's unusual is that he beat out a pair of Pac-10 schools -- Arizona State and California, which is right in Anderson's backyard -- in order to bring the versatile wing to the Midwest, so he can play in the Big East.

Anderson has the frame and skill set that Williams craves, and in time he should become a valuable member of the Golden Eagles' rotation. But he'll need to add considerable strength and more bulk first.

"That's a long way, from Milwaukee to Oakland," Williams said. "There's a lot of schools you have to fly over, a lot of temperature changes, league changes, cultural changes. I just loved his spirit. I think he'll end up finding ways to help us win games. Maybe not initially, but he's been gifted with knowing how to work."

G - Derrick Wilson (6-0, 215 lbs., FR, #33, 17.0 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 6.0 apg, 4.0 spg, The Hotchkiss School/Lakeville, Conn./Anchorage, Alaska). The son of a military man, the native Alaskan comes to Marquette after carving a name for himself not only at the prep school level but also as a member of the famed New York Gauchos AAU team.

A former football star, Wilson has the frame and strength to be able to contribute right away. And, with no true backup to Cadougan heading into the fall, the opportunity figures to be there for him from the get-go.

"I've proven I'm not scared to play guys who can play the point," Williams said. "His leadership qualities and body readiness may be the best we've had for an incoming freshman. I don't think he's the best player. If any of these guys are wondering where or when they're going to play, Derrick probably has more of a conclusive answer prior to a workout than any of them."

G - Todd Mayo (6-3, 190 lbs., FR, #4, 23.0 ppg, 6.0 apg, Notre Dame Prep/Fitchburg, Mass./Huntington, W.Va.). If the last name seems familiar, that's because it is. Mayo is the younger brother of O.J. Mayo, the former USC star who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA. Todd Mayo is a little shorter and lighter, but he proved he can be a big-time scorer while playing at a big-time program in Notre Dame Prep.

"Offensively, I think he's really gifted," Williams said. "But before we get to that, he'll have to figure out how to adjust to the intensity and culture of what we do. Todd is Todd. I don't know his brother. I got to know his mom and dad, and we recruited him like we recruit everybody else. And I think that somewhat separated us in a way that was almost refreshing for that family.

"He may end up being a great player. He's the kind of guy that wants to be coached every day. I think he'll end up finding a role on our team as a freshman."

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: B+
BENCH/DEPTH: C+
FRONTCOURT: B+
INTANGIBLES: C

Because there are a number of newcomers and inexperienced returnees who will need to play roles this season, predicting what the Golden Eagles are going to do this season figures to be an inexact science.

Based on physical attributes, athleticism and versatility, though, this is probably Marquette's deepest and most talented roster in quite some time. Players such as Johnson-Odom, Wilson and Crowder can create matchup headaches, and for the first time in almost a decade it appears as though the center spot is going to be a plus rather than a liability with the way Otule and Gardner came on last season.

The non-conference portion of the season for Marquette will be a challenging one -- more so than in recent years -- and every tough game aside from the Vanderbilt matchup will come on the road or at a neutral venue. So the Golden Eagles will be hard-pressed to get off to a good start.

If they can, there's no telling what could happen in the Big East. Connecticut, Louisville and Syracuse should all be good again, but each has significant question marks as well. Marquette probably doesn't have the overall talent to challenge for the regular-season title.

But a finish in the top third is absolutely attainable. And with eight returning letter winners from last season's Sweet 16 team, the experience and hunger to return bodes well for a Marquette team that continues to be on the uptick with a coach that keeps coming back for more.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:05:24 PM by MisterDMU »

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
Thanks for putting this up. Its a really in depth preview of the team with some history. They really do great research 
on all the Beast teams, but the author spent a lot of time on Marquette.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »
A good read, indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:11:02 AM »
I didn't see any of the media day coverage, but I like what I'm seeing Buzz say about the new comers

JW

some program insiders have said athletically speaking, Wilson is the best the Golden Eagles have seen since Wade

He's a lot tougher. He's grown up a lot  (it was a concern of mine when we were initially recruiting him)

JA

he's been gifted with knowing how to work

DW

His leadership qualities and body readiness may be the best we've had for an incoming freshman

TM

He's the kind of guy that wants to be coached every day

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
Wow.   Somebody not directly tied to MU actually did a fair amount of digging and homework.    Even has pertinent info on the transfer and the freshmen.   Nearly unheard of.    Well done. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »
I get the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook every year.  They do a great job with inside info on teams because they use local reporters.  The MU article was written by Todd Rosiak, we are going to miss him greatly this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:04 AM »
So next year's preview will be two paragraph and probably include the phrase "as told to".
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
I do not get the grading analysis.  The have Rutgers rated B's across the board... Yet we are ranked and recieved two C's.   I tried looking through the book to figure out the grading system...and definition of Intangibles...found nothing.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »
I was nearly over this:

Then, five days later, the roof caved in. Up by 18 points at Louisville with 5:44 remaining in the game, and having already sent a fair number of Cardinals fans to the exit, the Golden Eagles suffered a collapse for the ages. Another blown defensive assignment in the closing seconds allowed Kyle Kuric to score the winning basket in a 71-70 loss that was crushing at the time.....

Ludum habemus.