'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 204356 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: 20 years ago today...
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
...Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?

Sorry...that's the first thing that came to mind.

This is outstanding!!!

Death on call

chapman

• All American
Re: 22 years ago today...
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »
This past summer however, I had the good fortune to watch some real golden eagles doing their thing from atop the bluff at Devils Lake and realized that these are some pretty cool, impressive animals, not at all 'lame'.

We need to be the first team to just use a real photograph of the mascot.  The cartoon Southern Miss rip-off makes it lame.

mu-rara

• All American
Re: 21 years ago today...
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
As a recent alum, I am happy with Golden Eagles. Would Warriors be cooler? Yeah. But it's never happening and that's our own fault. Shouldn't have made a mascot as racist as Willie Wampum.

It's long past time to move on. When your leader makes a decision you don't like (provided its not unethical) you swallow your pride, move on, and try to make the best of it. Continuing to gripe and moan just makes us look bad.
nm
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:41:33 AM by mu-rara »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
It is kind of funny to hear announcers like Greg Gumble, Bill Raftery and Gus Johnson still refer to us as the Warriors.  Makes it hard to move on when you have iconic announcers still bring up the glory days of the past.

You don't "move on."  You build.  You should always remember who you are and that starts with where you came from.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »

You don't "move on."  You build.  You should always remember who you are and that starts with where you came from.

Let's go back to Hilltoppers (I'd actually prefer it over Golden Eagles).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
Let's go back to Hilltoppers (I'd actually prefer it over Golden Eagles).

Hey that would be OK with me.  At least it has roots in our past and is somewhat unique.  "Golden Eagles" was uninspiring and "Lightning" was very XFL-ish. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »

HMMMMM.... sounds like branding to me

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
Re: 18 years ago today...
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Yep, Bring back the WARRIORS, the good days, not  Freakin' Golden Eagles. WARRIORS WARRIORS WARRIORS WARRIORS WARRIORS WARRIORS WARRIORS, GOT IT! IT'S NOT THE
NAME OF A TRIBE. NEVER HAS BEEN.

What he said

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »
Not again???!!!!!

The Warrior has been banished. He's too male, too belligerent and too non-PC for today's world. I'm surprised we still play basketball, as it is a contest and not a love-in. It unleashes emotions and causes us, at times, to have belligerent feelings about other groups of people (our opposition).

We needed to go to a Golden Eagle. The eagle elicits none of these feelings. She just preys on fish and other miscreant animals because she has not learned the joy of consuming vegetables, yet. She's a proud bird, which may result in problems with the PC crowd because we're not supposed to be prideful.

Anyone for a sparrow as a mascot?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
IT'S STILL WARRIORS, WARRIORS, WARRIORS, FREAKIN' EGOLDEN EAGLES IS A kitten NAME.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
To me, we will always be the Warriors.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
TO GOOOO MARQUETTE---   WE ARE MARQUETTE1

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
We need to be the first team to just use a real photograph of the mascot.  The cartoon Southern Miss rip-off makes it lame.

+1

Sucks that we ripped off their name/mascot.

I suppose the only thing that would make the situation worse is if Southern Miss changed their name to Warriors.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
+1

I suppose the only thing that would make the situation worse is if Southern Miss changed their name to Warriors.

I might have shared this before, but my family may be the only one in the U.S. that has alums from three D1 schools whose nickname is the Golden Eagles. If I can only convince one of my nieces to go to Oral Roberts, we would have all of them covered.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »
One more year closer to everyone moving on
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
You spelled "passing away" wrong.

I've said it before and i'll say it again...i have friends who refer to MU grads as either Warriors or Golden Eagles depending on how the grad is perceived (Warrior > GE). 

As an '88 alum and Warrior i'm one year closer to moving on...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:04 PM »
A golden eagle isn't even the coolest bird called an "eagle."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
+1

lol  Just conjuring up the prospect hurts.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »

One thing I think some people don't understand.  It really wasn't just about the name.

It really was about a University administration that let not just the basketball program wither on the vine due to neglect, but also the University itself.  And then when Kevin O'Neill came in to resurrect the program, the past was almost white-washed away.  As if they were apologizing for something that didn't need to be apologized for.

It is not an understatement that the late 80s and early 90s were the darkest days in the University's history - the basketball was bad, enrollment was struggling, the neighborhood was closing in.  Raynor was a great man who stuck around too long.  DiUlio was a complete disaster.  The Golden Eagles debacle was the capstone on that putrid era. 

Due to Father Wild and his team, the University has grown from that time.  The basketball is good.  The academics are much better.  Student demand is great.  The Warrior name is the one mistake that hasn't been corrected.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »
A golden eagle isn't even the coolest bird called an "eagle."

Enlighten us.  I recall a video (perhaps earlier in this thread... I didn't check) posted by Chick showing a pretty bad ass golden eagle taking down (literally) some prey with malicious intent.

EDIT:  Ah ha... found it. 
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/XafAdkZIYKA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/XafAdkZIYKA</a>

BTW - How has a student not CGI'd a badger or bulldog into this video by now?  All the hack videos out there, and nothing from our future of society?!?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:47:05 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
Oh hell.... why not.

http://www.oddee.com/item_96800.aspx

Enjoy.  Be thankful.  And next time MU allows us to choose a mascot, let's have some fun with it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »

One thing I think some people don't understand.  It really wasn't just about the name.

It really was about a University administration that let not just the basketball program wither on the vine due to neglect, but also the University itself.  And then when Kevin O'Neill came in to resurrect the program, the past was almost white-washed away.  As if they were apologizing for something that didn't need to be apologized for.

It is not an understatement that the late 80s and early 90s were the darkest days in the University's history - the basketball was bad, enrollment was struggling, the neighborhood was closing in.  Raynor was a great man who stuck around too long.  DiUlio was a complete disaster.  The Golden Eagles debacle was the capstone on that putrid era. 

Due to Father Wild and his team, the University has grown from that time.  The basketball is good.  The academics are much better.  Student demand is great.  The Warrior name is the one mistake that hasn't been corrected.

Probably your best post.

Bring back the Warriors.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

Ahhhh...my era at Marquette.  And yours, too.  And Chicos.  And quite a few others on this board.  Amazing we still have fond memories of the university and remain engaged.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2015, 09:26:51 AM »

Ahhhh...my era at Marquette.  And yours, too.  And Chicos.  And quite a few others on this board.  Amazing we still have fond memories of the university and remain engaged.

My era also.