Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: '13 PG - Bronson Koenig down to two  (Read 16058 times)

GGGG

• All American
'13 PG - Bronson Koenig down to two
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
According to Mark Miller it is between North Carolina and Wisconsin.  And he "likes Wisconsin's chances."

Canadian Dimes

• All American
Re: '13 PG - Bronson Koenig down to two
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
who cares ...another in along line of hinterland stiffs that will flame out playing basketball in a  whole other world than what they are used to.

Give me kids from Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, NYC, Prep school etc. that have actually played against anyone else who will play beyond high school.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
who cares ...another in along line of hinterland stiffs that will flame out playing basketball in a  whole other world than what they are used to.

Give me kids from Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, NYC, Prep school etc. that have actually played against anyone else who will play beyond high school.

Thanks Dimes - Got a good laugh out of your post...and tend to agree...but there have been a few successful ones - Diener, Pieper.  Koenig seems pretty highly regarded...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:24 AM »

If Duke, Kansas, and UNC have all offered him, I think he might be a decent player.  Maybe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
If Marquette signs a big for this fall and then the need shifts to a point guard to go with Burton in the 2013 class. Buzz would have been very happy to have Koenig as the 2013 point guard.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
I think Koenig is Wisconsin's to lose.No. Carolina got a commitment from Marcus Paige, top rated PG in 2012. Badgers pulled offer to a guy named Harris. Koenig isn't that good. Will fall by the wayside. But, who cares. Go MU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
I think Koenig is Wisconsin's to lose.No. Carolina got a commitment from Marcus Paige, top rated PG in 2012. Badgers pulled offer to a guy named Harris. Koenig isn't that good. Will fall by the wayside. But, who cares. Go MU

Honestly I think people who say these things are out of their minds.  Buzz wanted the kid.  Roy wants the kid.  Coach K wants the kid.  Bill Self wants the kid.  You really have a better grasp at evaluating high school talent than those guys?  You can tell who is going to be a good player and who is going to be a bust in college than those guys can?  If Kansas, Duke, and UNC (not to mention Marquette) want those guys, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance he'll be a very nice college basketball player.

COULD he be a bust?  Sure.  But to say matter-of-factly that he will "fall by the wayside" is a joke.  Maybe if Bo was the only high major coach to offer him, and the rest of his list was Creighton, Tulsa, East Carolina, etc. then sure, I guess you could say that.  But look at the list of schools that want him.  He could pick and choose just about anywhere in the country.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:26:45 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »

He is down to UW or UNC and he is not that good?  Roy Williams made an early offer to him, which is highly unusual for him and he is not that good?  Consensus top 100 and he is not that good?

If so, then I think Buzz would love to have guys that are not that good.

He would be a really nice pick-up for Bucky.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
I like North Carolina's chances.

If he goes to Wisconsin, it's because he knows UNC will get better players while he's there.
SS Marquette

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
Honestly I think people who say these things are out of their minds.  Buzz wanted the kid.  Roy wants the kid.  Coach K wants the kid.  Bill Self wants the kid.  You really have a better grasp at evaluating high school talent than those guys?  You can tell who is going to be a good player and who is going to be a bust in college than those guys can?  If Kansas, Duke, and UNC (not to mention Marquette) want those guys, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance he'll be a very nice college basketball player.

COULD he be a bust?  Sure.  But to say matter-of-factly that he will "fall by the wayside" is a joke.  Maybe if Bo was the only high major coach to offer him, and the rest of his list was Creighton, Tulsa, East Carolina, etc. then sure, I guess you could say that.  But look at the list of schools that want him.  He could pick and choose just about anywhere in the country.

I am not denying those coaches want him...clearly they do.

What i am saying is there have been a ton of other so called superstars from the hills of wisconsin that never played against a kid that wasnt white or wasnt taller than 5'10 that obtained a high ranking and flamed out when they played against exponentially better competiton.

Good for Bucky...good for UNC...I hope they get him.  Every year or two for the last 30 years there has been some scandanavian great white hope and most have been flameout busts. 

Diener and Peiper are the best examples of kids that have done well in the last 30 years?  Um Ok i'll give you diener. Peiper was solid but one would expect better for the all time leading scorer.

If over the last 30 years the best two examples you can give me are Diener and Pieper then i will rest my case.

Koening should go to UW they play more of a schoolboy HS type of style and he can find his niche, if he goes to UNC he will be completely outclassed and neverplay.

There is a reason Wisconsin, sans the last 10 years, has been so historically woeful in the Big 10.  it is becuase Koenig is the prototypical player from Wisconsin that has populated Buckys roster....simply not that good. 

Sorry if that hurts some peoples provincial feelings, but Wisconsin produced maybe 1-2 major D1 players a year and in some years not even that.  The number of those players not from SE wisco or Madison that have been successful at that level has been almost non existant.  I saw Scott Christopherson run around and not even be able to dribble with his left hand, i almost lost my lunch. Simply a basketball vaccum.  Maybe they play hockey I dont know...just saying i would not bet on any of them.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
He is going to Wisconsin. It's not even a question. As Mark Miller said a few weeks back, this is the worst kept secret of the summer.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
This recruitment is almost a reversed version of Bobby Frasor a la 2004.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Dimes you seem to have the wrong scouting report on this kid. He is not some slow unathletic kid. He has played against plenty of good competition in AAU ball.

Just as an FYI Koenig is from a mixed race family I believe.

Just love people who come to conclusions without ever seeing a kid play.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »
Roy wants him, K wanted him, Bo will kill to get him.   This tells me just about everything I need to know about a player without ever seeing him.    Good luck to him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »
According to Mark Miller it is between North Carolina and Wisconsin.  And he "likes Wisconsin's chances."

Well, Bronson and Bucky, GOOD FOR YOU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »

What i am saying is there have been a ton of other so called superstars from the hills of wisconsin that never played against a kid that wasnt white or wasnt taller than 5'10 that obtained a high ranking and flamed out when they played against exponentially better competiton.

Good for Bucky...good for UNC...I hope they get him.  Every year or two for the last 30 years there has been some scandanavian great white hope and most have been flameout busts. 

Diener and Peiper are the best examples of kids that have done well in the last 30 years?  Um Ok i'll give you diener. Peiper was solid but one would expect better for the all time leading scorer.

If over the last 30 years the best two examples you can give me are Diener and Pieper then i will rest my case.

Koening should go to UW they play more of a schoolboy HS type of style and he can find his niche, if he goes to UNC he will be completely outclassed and neverplay.

There is a reason Wisconsin, sans the last 10 years, has been so historically woeful in the Big 10.  it is becuase Koenig is the prototypical player from Wisconsin that has populated Buckys roster....simply not that good. 

Sorry if that hurts some peoples provincial feelings, but Wisconsin produced maybe 1-2 major D1 players a year and in some years not even that.  The number of those players not from SE wisco or Madison that have been successful at that level has been almost non existant.  I saw Scott Christopherson run around and not even be able to dribble with his left hand, i almost lost my lunch. Simply a basketball vaccum.  Maybe they play hockey I dont know...just saying i would not bet on any of them.

Did any of those players ever get recruited by Roy, Coach K, or Bill Self?  If they did, then I guess you have a point, they were flameouts after having their choice of what school to go to.  This is a very different player, and the list of schools that have offered is all you should need to understand that.  If LeBron James was playing at St. Thomas Aquinas I suppose he would be a college flameout too.  Ridiculous.

Are you talking about the same Scott Christopherson who was All Big-12 as a junior?  Interesting.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »
Just remember, the best player out of a Wisconsin high school the last 50 years may be Joe Wolf, who played at Class C Kohler High School.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
Thanks Dimes - Got a good laugh out of your post...and tend to agree...but there have been a few successful ones - Diener, Pieper.  Koenig seems pretty highly regarded...

Lest we forget: Terrel Schlundt!!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
Just remember, the best player out of a Wisconsin high school the last 50 years may be Joe Wolf, who played at Class C Kohler High School.

Can we extend that to the last 60 years and say Don Kojis?
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
Dimes you seem to have the wrong scouting report on this kid. He is not some slow unathletic kid. He has played against plenty of good competition in AAU ball.

Just as an FYI Koenig is from a mixed race family I believe.

Just love people who come to conclusions without ever seeing a kid play.

The Koenig you're thinking of would be the Koenig whose final two choices are North Carolina and Marquette.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »

Canadian....kids today are not scouted as much during their High School seasons anymore. They get their reps and rankings from the AAU circuit. Last I checked when playing AAU ball they are playing against the best of the best from Chicago, New York and all the prep schools. Koening has earned his ranking and rep.

You sound like a stupid UW fan talking about MU's recruits. Just my opinion.

15 to 24

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »
That's a fallacy that Joe Wolf is the greatest player to come out of Wisconsin in the last 50 years. MU's Jim Chones played in a much, much tougher conference with St. Catherine's and was highly recruited. How many games did he lose at MU and who was more important to their college team? He had at least as much pro success, maybe a little more. Kurt Nimphius of South Milwaukee played on a great D1 High school team and had one of the greatest state tournaments ever. He was a good player at Arizona State and again about as good as Wolf in the pros. And then there is Fred Brown who teamed with the also very talented Clarence Sherrod on great, great Milwaukee Lincoln teams. He starred at Iowa and what he did in the pros with the Supersonics dwarfs Wolf's pro career. Wolf just received more publicity when recruiting was starting to be studied closer by the media and the fans. Being recruited by North Carolina at that point of time also increased his legend.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »

(cough, cough)  Latrell Sprewell (cough cough)

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »
I'll agree I missed Chones, but I'd still take Wolf over Nimphius and Sprewell who I both saw in high school and over Sherrod and Brown as high school players. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
To denigrate Koenig is to not know basketball. Cat can hoop.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback