collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I hope the administration doesn't get any bright ideas...  (Read 13309 times)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
I hope the administration doesn't get any bright ideas...
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I know MU is a private institution and has more liberty to do as it pleases...but I really hope they don't start getting ridiculous.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/brainwashing_jOCNScyOQlR1alPfjmiLeL

GGGG

• All American
Re: I hope the administration doesn't get any bright ideas...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »
MU has run similar programs in the past. 

http://www.marquette.edu/orl/rha/blindfold.shtml

Same basic thing.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:26:31 PM »
MU has run similar programs in the past.  

http://www.marquette.edu/orl/rha/blindfold.shtml

Same basic thing.

As an RA for 2 years, I was REQUIRED to participate in this program, as well as NUMEROUS other "diversity" oriented programs. I can say with no amount of exaggeration that they were very anti-male, anti-white, etc. We were bussed to the LGBT Center on MLK Drive as part of our "sensitivity training," and it was intimated that anyone whose personal beliefs contradicted their agenda was backward and bigoted.

This stuff is all over in MU's administration. As an openly Evangelical Christian, there were numerous times when I was made to feel that my beliefs were not acceptable within ORL. The ironic thing about the PC movement is that everyone's beliefs are acceptable unless you disagree with them...

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
As an RA for 2 years, I was REQUIRED to participate in this program, as well as NUMEROUS other "diversity" oriented programs. I can say with no amount of exaggeration that they were very anti-male, anti-white, etc. We were bussed to the LGBT Center on MLK Drive as part of our "sensitivity training," and it was intimated that anyone whose personal beliefs contradicted their agenda was backward and bigoted.

This stuff is all over in MU's administration. As an openly Evangelical Christian, there were numerous times when I was made to feel that my beliefs were not acceptable within ORL. The ironic thing about the PC movement is that everyone's beliefs are acceptable unless you disagree with them...

When did teaching diversity and treating everyone with dignity and respect become a "PC movement"?  Now, I don't know the extent of some of these programs, however I really don't understand when people get upset about organizations trying to teach others about different cultures.

Especially with all the sexual assault crimes occuring at MU (or at least it being in the news) - maybe these programs should be done more often.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:59:32 AM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
So Mayor McCheese will have no problem if Jam Chowder and his Evangelical friends set up an event and ORL requires every single student employee to participate and celebrate their religious practices. Good to know.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »
When did teaching diversity and treating everyone with dignity and respect become a "PC movement"?  Now, I don't know the extent of some of these programs, however I really don't understand when people get upset about organizations trying to teach others about different cultures.

Especially with all the sexual assault crimes occuring at MU (or at least it being in the news) - maybe these programs should be done more often.

I think Jam Crowder's point was that in the name of treating people with dignity and respect, they were not being respectful of his beliefs.  Learning about other people and cultures is a good thing.  Being told that your beliefs and cultures are unacceptable because they differ from those that you are learning about is not.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »

But you weren't required to be an RA.  I imagine in your contract you signed, something like participating in this was in it.  And the very fact you went back for a second year signals something as well. 

Have fun with your faux outrage.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
I think Jam Crowder's point was that in the name of treating people with dignity and respect, they were not being respectful of his beliefs.  Learning about other people and cultures is a good thing.

Well, while I understand what Jam is saying, the fact that he put diversity in quotes IMO shows that he might not be fully on board with even the value of teaching diversity.

Let's face it...the world is much more diverse in almost every way than most MU students have had experience with so exposing them to different things isn't bad.  And I have had experience with these types of program that are actually very positive.  When they border on oppressing other beliefs though (as Jam states) they do more harm than good.

For instance, this play has come to my campus a couple of times.  It really does a good job of getting the point across without being preachy.  (And anything that gets both neo-Nazis and the NAACP upset can't be a bad thing right?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/#$%^&*_Wetback_Chink:_The_Race_Play

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »
So Mayor McCheese will have no problem if Jam Chowder and his Evangelical friends set up an event and ORL requires every single student employee to participate and celebrate their religious practices. Good to know.

I'm pretty sure Jam wasn't require to "participate and celebrate" others' religious practices.
Discussing others' values and beliefs, even when that - gasp! - run counter to your own isn't the worst thing in the world.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Sounds like it was a little more than a discussion. It was forced participation. I'm sure you would run in horror if the ORL required students, as a condition of employment, to attend Catholic Mass or some Protestant, evangelical celebration. Particularly since such participation would "run counter" to your own "values and beliefs." Hypocrite.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Sounds like it was a little more than a discussion. It was forced participation. I'm sure you would run in horror if the ORL required students, as a condition of employment, to attend Catholic Mass or some Protestant, evangelical celebration. Particularly since such participation would "run counter" to your own "values and beliefs." Hypocrite.

Again, he was not forced, he CHOSE to be an RA, and freely accepted to do it, an actually returned a 2nd year as an RA, knowingly that he woul go through similar training.  FREE CHOICE, isn't that what you people are obsessesed with???

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
While I think reinko is speaking the truth here, there are some things that ORL does that would never, ever be permissible at public university.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »

Gee, you know me so well.
Remind me, what's my stance on the debt limit again?
Oh, and my favorite color. I'm always forgetting.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
While I think reinko is speaking the truth here, there are some things that ORL does that would never, ever be permissible at public university.

Such as ....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »

+1

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 01:02:28 PM »
I always thought diversity at Marquette was forced and done in a way that cared more about the University looking good than actually creating better people. It's hard to explain, but these programs never seemed real. They take a drastic approach trying to shock you into some kind of action, but from my experiences in life, it is way more complex than the white-male holding them down.

Plus the whole idea of diversity training goes against my general view of treating everyone the same.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »
It seems as if many of these diversity programs seek more to punish and castigate rather than celibrate what is unique and positive in all of us. At some point we must recognize the features that make our civilization a magnet for millions rather than the poster boy for oppression  and subjigation.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
I really love this dodge of "he chose" to go back. What is your point? If he had to attend mandatory training that told him that gay sex was a sin and demanded that he report any suspicious activity to the administration (which would indeed be outrageous), people here would lose their cookies.

Try to defend the actual mandatory nature of the training, not the fact that this guy (or girl) chose to try to slice a dime off his (or her) $40,000/year education by being an RA for another year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
Plus the whole idea of diversity training goes against my general view of treating everyone the same.

That *should* be the point of diversity training right?  To treat everyone with respect and understand their view point.  Unfortunately many programs are very poor in this area.

Try to defend the actual mandatory nature of the training, not the fact that this guy (or girl) chose to try to slice a dime off his (or her) $40,000/year education by being an RA for another year.

Diversity training should be mandatory for RAs.  I am not defending the nature of any specific program, but I think it is important that they receive training to handle situations that arise of this nature.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
But you weren't required to be an RA.  I imagine in your contract you signed, something like participating in this was in it.  And the very fact you went back for a second year signals something as well. 

Have fun with your faux outrage.

Haha, I was waiting for something along these lines to come up. I'm not outraged. I can only vouch for my own experience and interpretation of the programming we were a part of, and I was simply stating that my experience of the MU administration as an RA largely validated the conclusions in the article. Sorry for sharing?

I personally felt that the point of much of the "diversity" training we went through was not to celebrate cultural differences (what I feel diversity should be about), but to communicate guilt about white privilege, etc.

I totally understand the necessity of such training, especially in a job like the RA position. I totally get it and have no problem with programs celebrating diversity or teaching sensitivity. i just think the approach that was used during my tenure in ORL was flawed.

I am not complaining about being an RA. I loved it, and returned because of the strong friendships I made with other staff and residents. The fact that I returned doesn't mean that there weren't things I disagreed with, and I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing that. If you disagree, that's cool too.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
Let's face it...the world is much more diverse in almost every way than most MU students have had experience with so exposing them to different things isn't bad.  And I have had experience with these types of program that are actually very positive.

I totally agree. As a white kid from small-town Wisconsin, MU was full of new situations and experiences that I had never come in contact with before. Diversity training can absolutely be a great resource, and my experience on staff in the dorms VALIDATED the necessity of being sensitive to peoples' situations.

To clarify: my issue wasn't that diversity was taught, my issue was what was taught, and how it was presented. Diversity can be defined in different ways; some are positive, others aren't. It's beneficial to teach that all people are different, that we need to recognize, respect, and celebrate differences, etc. It's damaging to teach that white people should feel guilty for being born into better socioeconomic situations or that anyone who has a different set of morals is bigoted.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
The area in which universities should most celebrate diversity - thought - is often the one where they teach, practice and encourage bigotry.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
The area in which universities should most celebrate diversity - thought - is often the one where they teach, practice and encourage bigotry.

"Often?"  Hogwash.   Occasionally is a better term.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
It's damaging to teach that white people should feel guilty for being born into better socioeconomic situations or that anyone who has a different set of morals is bigoted.

I have a hard time believing that someone stood up in front of a roomful of Marquette students and stated either of those things.

Although - and I'm not suggesting this is the case for you - certainly there are people who use the cover of "morals and values" to justify their bigotry (see: people burning Korans, holding up "God hates f*gs" signs at funerals).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:10:51 AM by Pakuni »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »

...but to communicate guilt about white privilege, etc.

I had not heard this term. What does it mean?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

feedback