[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799147 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1800 on: May 03, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »
I do not know what I should think about Arsenal.  On the one hand, their track record of consistency is very impressive.  OTOH, their continued under-performance is an issue right?

Actually, Arsenal follows a quite clear pattern: whomever is the best player in the squad from August-November (Cazorla in '15; Ozil in '14; Ramsey in '13, etc.) will get a long term injury putting him on the shelf for three or four months in which time the club slowly oozes out of relevancy sometime around the second week of March. It's a miracle they never finish lower then fourth.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: May 03, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
I'm sure people will try to copy them, but it will be a fool's errand. The seasons Vardy and Mahrez had were ridiculous. Vardy more than quadrupled his goal tally from last year while Mahrez scored more this season than in his entire senior career combined (5 years). It would be like OJ Mayo and Khris Middleton both putting up MVP seasons for the Bucks next year. You just can't mimic that.

I agree that this may be Vardy's best season for the rest of his career, but Mahrez is the real deal. Still only 25 I think he has a lot left in the tank. Also, very unlikely he plays for Leicester next season.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: May 26, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
Decent showing last night for the USMNT even though it was just a friendly.  They played much, much better in the second half after Klinsmann moved Bradley into a deeper role (shocker).  The back 4 looked in good shape, Yedlin looked much better defensively and I thought Birnbaum played pretty well, though I'd like Cameron to take that sport back once he's healthy.

Pulisic, Wood, and Nagbe all had great showings after being subbed on.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: May 26, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »
Decent showing last night for the USMNT even though it was just a friendly.  They played much, much better in the second half after Klinsmann moved Bradley into a deeper role (shocker).  The back 4 looked in good shape, Yedlin looked much better defensively and I thought Birnbaum played pretty well, though I'd like Cameron to take that sport back once he's healthy.

Pulisic, Wood, and Nagbe all had great showings after being subbed on.

I, too, agree they played better as it went on. However, I saw Birnbaum as not so good with the ball and oftentimes reckless with his passing. He is good in the air so going forward for a starved offensive team he may have a role as a late sub specifically for set pieces.

Also though the defense was poor for the first 25 minutes. Only reason they were allowed to settle is because Ecuador had more interest in making their dinner reservation than playing the game. Yedlin is much better off for having to play with offensively challenged Sunderland. It allows him an easy transition to the National Team.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: May 26, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
I, too, agree they played better as it went on. However, I saw Birnbaum as not so good with the ball and oftentimes reckless with his passing. He is good in the air so going forward for a starved offensive team he may have a role as a late sub specifically for set pieces.

Also though the defense was poor for the first 25 minutes. Only reason they were allowed to settle is because Ecuador had more interest in making their dinner reservation than playing the game. Yedlin is much better off for having to play with offensively challenged Sunderland. It allows him an easy transition to the National Team.

Agree that Birnbaum made some mistakes passing the ball, but I thought defensively he was pretty solid.  Overall, I thought he had a decent game considering this was his first international match against decent competition.  He's kind of come out of nowhere for DCU and only had two previous appearances against Iceland and Guatemala.  I was expecting him to make more mistakes than he did.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: May 26, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Agree that Birnbaum made some mistakes passing the ball, but I thought defensively he was pretty solid.  Overall, I thought he had a decent game considering this was his first international match against decent competition.  He's kind of come out of nowhere for DCU and only had two previous appearances against Iceland and Guatemala.  I was expecting him to make more mistakes than he did.

In this regard, more than fair assessment. As reckless as some of the passes were there was nothing there to disqualify him from further consideration. And I don't think the set piece positive he brings can be understated. Most important, the position on both sides seems to be a quite open competition.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: June 02, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »
Here's my lineup tomorrow if I'm running the show...

Fabian - Wood - Dempsey
Jones - Bedoya
Bradley
Castillo - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin
Guzan

You could also talk me into dropping Dempsey and putting Nagbe in the middle with Bedoya wide.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: June 02, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »

Fabian - Wood - Dempsey
Jones - Bedoya
Bradley
Guzan

You could also talk me into dropping Dempsey and putting Nagbe in the middle with Bedoya wide.

Vsmos Colombia. Even though half the normal colombian team isnt playing, the US is gonna have a tough time with Cuadrado and James on the wings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:07:47 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: June 02, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
If I had to guess the lineup for the Colombian team tomorrow (its honestly anyones guess at this point) it would be something like this.

Bacca

Cardona
James                                                  Cuadrado
                                Sanchez

Fabra          Zapata             Murillo            Arias

Ospina

It's a very interesting team. I would argue Ospina is the best keeper in the tournament. The back 4 is about a wash versus their world cup team, Murillo and Arias are very talented but very young and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 3 in the back at some point. Sanchez is so solid in the CDM role. Obviously Cuadrado and James are absolute studs. Cardona is extremely talented just raw and Bacca just finds ways to score.

Here's where the problem is though with this Colombian team. They have zero depth, especially at striker and the central midfield. If any of those guys in the middle of the pitch go down, there's gonna be some serious issues.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:44:10 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1810 on: June 02, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »
Flying up tomorrow for the game.....anyone from Scoop going to be there? 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: June 03, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »

Fabian - Wood - Dempsey
Jones - Bedoya
Bradley
Guzan

I really don't understand parts of this lineup.  Dempsey on the wing?  Castillo at LB?

Based on the last two friendlies, I'd be very surprised if the lineup wasn't:

Wood-Dempsey-Zardes
Jones - Bedoya
Bradley
Fabia - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin

Barring injuries or a big lead, Pulisic and Nagbe are set as subs, with the third being a wildcard depending on score, performance, or change in tactics.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: June 03, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
Flying up tomorrow for the game.....anyone from Scoop going to be there?

Heading to the American Outlaws bar here in Manhattan to watch the game tonight.  Flying to Chicago tomorrow morning to be at the game Tuesday.  In Philly next weekend for the Paraguay match.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1813 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »
Heading to the American Outlaws bar here in Manhattan to watch the game tonight.  Flying to Chicago tomorrow morning to be at the game Tuesday.  In Philly next weekend for the Paraguay match.

Safe travels.  Go Merica

At the airport last night, a bunch of folks coming off planes wearing Columbia kits.  I assume they are on the way up to San Jose tonight.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:06:07 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:53 AM »
Safe travels.  Go Merica

At the airport last night, a bunch of folks coming off planes wearing Columbia kits.  I assume they are on the way up to San Jose tonight.

I didn't know there was a team in South Carolina

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1815 on: June 03, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
I didn't know there was a team in South Carolina

New entrant

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: June 03, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »
I really don't understand parts of this lineup.  Dempsey on the wing?  Castillo at LB?

Based on the last two friendlies, I'd be very surprised if the lineup wasn't:

Wood-Dempsey-Zardes
Jones - Bedoya
Bradley
Fabia - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin

Barring injuries or a big lead, Pulisic and Nagbe are set as subs, with the third being a wildcard depending on score, performance, or change in tactics.

Dempsey on wing because he's not a target man. Hes better on the ball playing other players through and finding passing lanes. If US is in a 4-4-2, dempsey is up top.

Castillo because there's no other better LB option on the roster. Fabian is more successful on the wing as his club season demonstrated.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: June 03, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »
Will be at the Argentina vs. Panama match next week. Really hoping Messi is healthy for it.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: June 03, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »
Dempsey on wing because he's not a target man. Hes better on the ball playing other players through and finding passing lanes. If US is in a 4-4-2, dempsey is up top.

Castillo because there's no other better LB option on the roster. Fabian is more successful on the wing as his club season demonstrated.

The problem is Dempsey can't play defense.  And Klinssman's system needs the wingers to come back on D.  Klinnsman isn't playing Dempsey as a target man in the 4-3-3 but more as a false 9.

I know Fabian is a better midfielder than defender, but the problem is Castillo is crap.  And playing Castillo at LB and Fabian at LW means removing another talented player off the field.  Fabian will still have plenty of chances to get forward playing LB.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: June 03, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
The problem is Dempsey can't play defense.  And Klinssman's system needs the wingers to come back on D.  Klinnsman isn't playing Dempsey as a target man in the 4-3-3 but more as a false 9.

I know Fabian is a better midfielder than defender, but the problem is Castillo is crap.  And playing Castillo at LB and Fabian at LW means removing another talented player off the field.  Fabian will still have plenty of chances to get forward playing LB.

And especially against Colombia you don't want a weak left back. Cuadrado would abuse him. How much pace does Fabian have?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1820 on: June 03, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »
And especially against Colombia you don't want a weak left back. Cuadrado would abuse him. How much pace does Fabian have?

Probably second fastest behind Yedlin.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: June 03, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
Probably second fastest behind Yedlin.

Then you absolutely play him. Colombia very succeptable to counters so if you can get someone to run with Cuadrado and than move it the other way that bodes well for the US. Especially since Arias loves to push up from right back.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: June 03, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
That, and having Fabian at LB allows Zardes to come in on the wing, where he can use his pace to attack but also track back on defense.  I'm not a big Zardes fan, but I think he is someone the USMNT absolutely needs against Colombia's athleticism.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1823 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
That, and having Fabian at LB allows Zardes to come in on the wing, where he can use his pace to attack but also track back on defense.  I'm not a big Zardes fan, but I think he is someone the USMNT absolutely needs against Colombia's athleticism.

I thought about this, but I'm really down on Zardes' first touch and I think possession is going to be critical...or at least not giving up possession on the defensive half any way.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: June 03, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »

Well, I think we're definitely playing Dempsey. I was thinking that I would prefer he not even start, to be honest. But here we are. And I think Wood is more valuable as a non-wing. Bedoya/Bradley/Yedlin can cover that side of the field.

The problem with Fabian at LB is he is AWFUL at tracking back once he gets forward. Watch the last few US losses. He was responsible for at least a couple goals (one against Mexico stands out to me) lately.