[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788047 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1525 on: July 01, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »

You seem hellbent on discrediting the US performance. How come?

Maybe he can't stand the thought of the US Women's team being way better than the Men's.
Have some patience, FFS.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1526 on: July 01, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »
By the way, in case you've ever wondered how the US got so good at Women's soccer

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/why-is-the-u-s-so-good-at-womens-soccer/

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: July 01, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
US quite fortunate. They've had an easy run in which they've been able to underperform and caught the best team in the world coming off an emotionally exhausting victory over (what they perceived) their toughest competitor.

--Played the best 45 all Cup but due to Morgan's terrible finishing they got no reward in the first half.

--Germany regrouped during halftime and was clearly the better team in the second half culminating in the deserved penalty in the 60th.

--Shocking decision by the referee to allow Johnston to remain in the game. Clear as day red card for her.

--Surprising decision by the referee to allow Solo the blatant delay of game tactics prior to the Sasic penalty.

--Shocking decision by the referee to award the USA a penalty when fat guy on the couch could see Morgan was well outside the box.

--Neid was clueless what to do after the US penalty since her ace up the sleeve turned her ankle against France. US dodged that bullet.

--The second goal was an exquisite pass from Lloyd but the German defending was absolutely shocking in its incompetence.

Others have gone point by point.  I'll just say simply that the better team won last night.  Oh, and if one happens to miss their country's first PK in Cup history..... It was curtains from that moment on.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:56 PM »
Listen, referee decisions cut both ways.  A German defender should have gotten her second yellow in the 33rd minute of the game and been sent off....that would have changed the game as well.

The US played solid and had a break or two more than Germany....but more importantly took advantage of the breaks they got.

Certainly do go both ways. Both countries lucky not to finish with only 10 players.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: July 01, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
--Germany was better for the first 15-20 of the second half. Overall, not so sure.
--Lack of a yellow for Solo was a little surprising, but what difference would it make?
--The US penalty should have been outside the box, but it was immediately outside, not well outside. I've been surprised a few times by questionable penalty/direct kick decisions this tournament. Feels like it skewing towards penalty when I'm used to seeing anything that's even questionable being placed outside the box.
--O'Hara got her leg in front of the defender's. It was poor defending, but not incompetent, much less absolutely shockingly incompetent.

You seem hellbent on discrediting the US performance. How come?

--I wrote that Germany was better in the second half culminating in the penalty, meaning, they were the better side up until their penalty.

--The lack of yellow on Solo just showed that in the big moments the official wasn't locked in. Big moment in first when Germany should be down a player. Big moment in second when the US should be down a player. Official got them all wrong. I pointed out Johnston because she was last defender and denied a clear opportunity. On each, it's an automatic red. Combined, it's a no brainer red.

--When I write "well outside" it means that everyone associated with the game -- fans, media, players -- can see that the contact wasn't near the line nor anywhere near being inside the box. If you watch the game enough, we all know when a player is fouled in the box as opposed to outside it. I didn't even shrug since I knew it'd be a free kick too close to the goal to have an impact. The point to the spot was shocking. Even some US players were stunned.

--The incompetent defending didn't come from O'Hara's mark. The incompetent defending came from both the right sided German defenders stepping up and leaving Lloyd alone in the box to receive a routine soft entry pass and acres of space to place the pass. At that point they likely knew their Cup was over but to concede a goal with such a mental error, especially being a German, was shockingly incompetent.

--Finally, "hellbent" is well off the mark when this.....Played the best 45 all Cup but due to Morgan's terrible finishing they got no reward in the first half......was the first point I wrote in my original thoughts.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1530 on: July 01, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
Penalties given to all four semifinalists in one World Cup? That has to be unprecedented. Though both penalties in the Japan/England game were shockingly poor decisions by the referee.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1531 on: July 01, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Wow, so England didn't want to wait for the near inevitable heartbreak of losing on penalties, easier to deal with the heartbreak of the 93rd minute own goal?

Too bad, England in the final would have been fun. Japan, less so.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: July 01, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »
I don't know where Golden Avalanche is from, or exactly where his allegiances lie, but I can tell you it isn't with the US when it comes to soccer (at least). I can't remember if it was World cup talk or gold cup or qualifying, but he was TEARING the USMNT to shreds and outwardly said he doesn't cheer for the US but another country (I think south american).

So, no surprise how he's portraying the US women.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:53 PM »
I don't know where Golden Avalanche is from, or exactly where his allegiances lie, but I can tell you it isn't with the US when it comes to soccer (at least). I can't remember if it was World cup talk or gold cup or qualifying, but he was TEARING the USMNT to shreds and outwardly said he doesn't cheer for the US but another country (I think south american).

So, no surprise how he's portraying the US women.

Sure you weren't thinking about me? Or maybe combining the two? Ive never torn the US teams apart but I don't actively cheer for them. Have 3 Colombian jerseys and another 2 t-shirts in my closet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: July 01, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »
That is a brutal way to lose.   I hope that young woman is able to recover.    I have to hope the Brits are kinder to her than the Colombians were after the 1994 World Cup. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:39:34 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1535 on: July 02, 2015, 06:12:48 AM »
That is a brutal way to lose.   I hope that young woman is able to recover.    I have to hope the Brits are kinder to her than the Colombians were after the 1994 World Cup. 

I'm confident she'll be treated better than Andres Escobar.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1536 on: July 02, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
Sure you weren't thinking about me? Or maybe combining the two? Ive never torn the US teams apart but I don't actively cheer for them. Have 3 Colombian jerseys and another 2 t-shirts in my closet.

Perhaps. I'd have to go back and look at post history. If so, my apologies.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: July 02, 2015, 11:45:17 AM »

Very tough to see it end that way.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1538 on: July 02, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
Michael Bradley was named captain of the USA Men's team today. Could easily see him keeping the armband 5 years.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
Perhaps. I'd have to go back and look at post history. If so, my apologies.

How's that post history research coming along?

You wrote something wildly inaccurate about me because you can't remember who writes what in this forum (or, looking at the time code, you post when you're drunk). That seems stupid and you should do better. Next time, there's no need for the "if so, my apologies", just be a smarter person and do the research first.

It is fascinating to know that even with my travels to Germany for the World Cup in 2006 and with my travels to South Africa for the World Cup in 2010 and with my travels around the States for various World Cup Qualifiers and with my travels around the States for various Gold Cup matches I can be portrayed as anti-American in my soccer interests. Thanks for the reality check, jesmu84!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: July 03, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »

Really rooting for the Lionesses as have spent the last two weeks watching BBC and following their progress and enjoying the interviews.
Losing by an own goal is worse than by shootout, in my opinion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: July 04, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »
USA men's team looked bad on defense against Guatemala.   Guatemala missed a couple of point blank open looks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: July 04, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
USA men's team looked bad on defense against Guatemala.   Guatemala missed a couple of point blank open looks.

Agreed. But I would argue that most of those chances were after Gonzalez, Johnson, and Brooks were subbed out.

Also think subbing mix out had a bit to do with it as he is strong on the ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1543 on: July 04, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
Guzan also wasn't as sure handed as you'd like to see. Part of that was Guatemala players piling into him, but as a keeper you need to fight through that and still come up with the ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »
All four semi-finalist nations received a dubious penalty. That trend continued into last night with England's victorious dubious penalty award during extra time in the third-place match.

Unfortunately, going like this, the match tonight won't be decided by the players. Regardless of how stingy both the US and Japanese defense has been one team (perhaps both to even things out) will be awarded a dubious decision as a direct result of the substandard officiating. Remains to be seen if that will be the only criterion for a World Champion to be crowned.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1545 on: July 05, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
All four semi-finalist nations received a dubious penalty. That trend continued into last night with England's victorious dubious penalty award during extra time in the third-place match.

Unfortunately, going like this, the match tonight won't be decided by the players. Regardless of how stingy both the US and Japanese defense has been one team (perhaps both to even things out) will be awarded a dubious decision as a direct result of the substandard officiating. Remains to be seen if that will be the only criterion for a World Champion to be crowned.

I'll be cheering for the women tonight (though unfortunately watching on DVR), and would celebrate any win (even if it's under questionable circumstances), but this WWC has really underscored how much this is a second-rate competition in FIFA's eyes.

Artificial turf, poor refereeing, the FIFA president not attending the final (though that may be more to fear of arrest), all things that show FIFA doesn't have a huge vestment in this.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
I'll be cheering for the women tonight (though unfortunately watching on DVR), and would celebrate any win (even if it's under questionable circumstances), but this WWC has really underscored how much this is a second-rate competition in FIFA's eyes.

Artificial turf, poor refereeing, the FIFA president not attending the final (though that may be more to fear of arrest), all things that show FIFA doesn't have a huge vestment in this.

Add in the rigging of the draw to allow Canada an easier path whilst at the same time ensuring France/Germany met well before the Final. It also allowed the US to avoid a QF with either of those teams, ensuring their path to the late rounds, which FIFA needed as the US is the only nation that consistently draws a large audience.

In the end, FIFA wins since they get an attractive Final storyline with the US-Japan revenge rematch.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1547 on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
Well, the only thing dubious was Japan's defending in the first fifteen. Carli Lloyd with a great hat trick. That third goal was absolutely world class. There may have been complaints about the team and Ellis (I had plenty myself) but I do believe the best team is winning this tournament. The defense was suffocating right yup until they had a 4-0 lead in the final.

Three stars deserved.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: July 06, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Rare to see a nation play so free and loose in the late rounds. Germany did it to an amazing level last year against Brasil and the US women were right on the heels of that performance with their first 16 minutes last night.

I thought it was interesting that everyone assumed the US would use their physicality to an advantage on set pieces and bomb it in the air but they reversed the psychology on that and Japan was caught well off guard by the worm burning corner and free kick that led to the first two goals. Once those went in, the Japanese keeper was rattled to the point of being useless the rest of the match.

Holiday's goal was just as technically brilliant as Lloyd's third. And Brian was outstanding last night and against Germany but that will be overshadowed by Lloyd's emergence. Brian is the future.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: July 06, 2015, 09:23:39 AM »
That third goal was absolutely world class.

It could be said that everyone's performance last night on the U.S. team was world class....seeing as it was a winning effort in the World Cup finals and all.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback