collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 797708 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1500 on: June 25, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
I like Ian Joy, but I don't get how Pirlo doesn't fit Kreis' system.  Kreis uses the 4-4-2 diamond in which one of his major components is a deep-lying playmaker.  Pirlo is potentially one of the best deep-lying playmakers in the world.  I heard Ian Joy's comments on it, but just didn't feel that was completely accurate.  The one DP that I don't think quite fits Kreis' system is Lampard.

Pirlo will be at NYCFC max for a year and a half I'm sure.  I'm not too sure there were other players that would have made a better DP signing right now.  I do get the marketing point, I will definitely say this is a grand slam for that, tapping into the Italian market and generating additional instant interest in a team in its first season, but I really do think its much more than that.

The other aspect of this entire thing is the MLS parochialism. Joy is new to it in a sense since he's spent most of his TV days on beIn but I'll bet there are a ton of "expert" commentators who were just waiting for NYC to make the signing(s) that didn't originate from Kreis' mind but originated in Manchester just so they have the ability to bemoan NYC as only an extension of the Citeh brand (in their viewing).

This is a weird one since Pirlo is a guy anyone following the game the last 15 years have enjoyed immensely whether in Milan, Turin, or the national program. Having him in the States will be great to watch and, selfishly, I think it's tremendous for us that Mix can spend time with such a master. You just wonder how long Kreis is down for the gig when he knows his input as manager is not the utmost consideration when acquiring players.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »
The other aspect of this entire thing is the MLS parochialism. Joy is new to it in a sense since he's spent most of his TV days on beIn but I'll bet there are a ton of "expert" commentators who were just waiting for NYC to make the signing(s) that didn't originate from Kreis' mind but originated in Manchester just so they have the ability to bemoan NYC as only an extension of the Citeh brand (in their viewing).

This is a weird one since Pirlo is a guy anyone following the game the last 15 years have enjoyed immensely whether in Milan, Turin, or the national program. Having him in the States will be great to watch and, selfishly, I think it's tremendous for us that Mix can spend time with such a master. You just wonder how long Kreis is down for the gig when he knows his input as manager is not the utmost consideration when acquiring players.

Yep, agreed.  I'm sure there have been several writers waiting to write that narrative.  And again, I think the Pirlo move was CFG's idea, but I don't think it was the power play many writers are making it out to be.

The one item that I very much wonder about, is the loans from MCFC and how those are delegated.  Right now, NYCFC has taken a couple, and one of them playing very well (Facey) with another coming in July with high hopes.  I wonder how those loans are decided (does MCFC tell Kreis who he is taking? or does Kreis choose and ask?) as well as what kind of discussions there may be around playing time expectations.

Also, agreed on the development of Mix.  He's only 24 and now gets the opportunity to learn from Pirlo, Lampard, and David Villa.  Its gotta be a big positive for his development from a USMNT standpoint as well.

Golden Avalanche

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1504 on: June 27, 2015, 06:03:28 AM »
The women's team beat China 1-0 to earn a semi-final date with #1 Germany. Despite the scoreline, this was the best the US has looked. Dominant in possession and created a ton of chances. With better finishing it could have been 3 or 4. Germany came from behind to win on penalties. Should be a good match Tuesday, hope it's slow at work.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: June 29, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
Despite the improved play the problem remains that the US team cannot finish chances to kill off a game. China was slow, unskilled, unambitious, and more than happy to lose by only 1-0. Germany and France would have destroyed that Chinese team if put in that position. It will be interesting to see what happens if two world powers can sleepwalk through the Cup only to find themselves having a replay of the 2011 Final. That is likely the only lose-lose scenario possible for the women's game.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1506 on: June 29, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
Despite the improved play the problem remains that the US team cannot finish chances to kill off a game. China was slow, unskilled, unambitious, and more than happy to lose by only 1-0. Germany and France would have destroyed that Chinese team if put in that position. It will be interesting to see what happens if two world powers can sleepwalk through the Cup only to find themselves having a replay of the 2011 Final. That is likely the only lose-lose scenario possible for the women's game.

They did miss some great chances, no doubt about that, but my real hope is that Ellis is going to adapt a bit more attacking mentality now. Getting Rapinoe back for Germany will help, and the team created a ton more with Wambach coming in off the bench rather than being the focal point of a long-ball offense.

Players like Rapinoe and Heath are better when they can attack up the wings, and I was much happier with the forward combination of Morgan and Rodriguez. This team has fast playmakers that need to be allowed to play that way. I don't think we'll be able to possess nearly that well against Germany, so those quick attacks are essential to creating chances, as playing hoofball to Wambach more often than not will lead to turning over possession.

For me, the biggest problem with this team is the manager. As good as the defense has been, this is the most lackluster I can ever remember a USA attack looking. Too often the team is content to hope to just nick that one goal and hold on. I guess when you have a 423 minute shutout streak, that seems like a sound strategy, but I can't see that lasting against the Germans. This team will need to attack to get to the final. The China match was at least encouraging in that it seemed attacking was once again part of the arsenal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1507 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
Heading down to Chile later this week for the Copa championship.  Was really hoping Peru would pull it off tonight and I could cheer for my former home.  Oh well, having Chile in the final is going to be insane with the crowd down there.

jesmu84

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: June 30, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »
US women caught a break when Sasic missed the PK, but then they finished strong.   Great clincher in the final minutes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1510 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »
Saw about 2 minutes of the first half (the last 2) and the last 20 minutes starting after Lloyd's goal. Was fortunate enough to be on a call when Germany got the PK and the patient had it on in the house, so we watched that bit with them.

But all in all, I can't evaluate the performance at all, didn't see near enough. But I'll take a 2-0 win and Final appearance any time  8-)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1511 on: June 30, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
Also, definitely cheering for England tomorrow. I just think USA v England would make for a more entertaining final.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #1512 on: June 30, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
Saw about 2 minutes of the first half (the last 2) and the last 20 minutes starting after Lloyd's goal. Was fortunate enough to be on a call when Germany got the PK and the patient had it on in the house, so we watched that bit with them.

But all in all, I can't evaluate the performance at all, didn't see near enough. But I'll take a 2-0 win and Final appearance any time  8-)

Where, oh where, has this team been the last three weeks?  Watched them in Winnipeg in a lackluster tie against SWE, but today....ZOWIE!!!  And against Germany, no less! 
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:20 AM »
Where, oh where, has this team been the last three weeks?  Watched them in Winnipeg in a lackluster tie against SWE, but today....ZOWIE!!!  And against Germany, no less! 

Jill Ellis has been hiding them in a 4-4-2.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: July 01, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
Also, definitely cheering for England tomorrow. I just think USA v England would make for a more entertaining final.

USA vs England in Canada --- There's some kind of irony there!?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: July 01, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »

Yes, this was a great win.  Really should have scored a few more if Morgan was able to finish.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
US quite fortunate. They've had an easy run in which they've been able to underperform and caught the best team in the world coming off an emotionally exhausting victory over (what they perceived) their toughest competitor.

--Played the best 45 all Cup but due to Morgan's terrible finishing they got no reward in the first half.

--Germany regrouped during halftime and was clearly the better team in the second half culminating in the deserved penalty in the 60th.

--Shocking decision by the referee to allow Johnston to remain in the game. Clear as day red card for her.

--Surprising decision by the referee to allow Solo the blatant delay of game tactics prior to the Sasic penalty.

--Shocking decision by the referee to award the USA a penalty when fat guy on the couch could see Morgan was well outside the box.

--Neid was clueless what to do after the US penalty since her ace up the sleeve turned her ankle against France. US dodged that bullet.

--The second goal was an exquisite pass from Lloyd but the German defending was absolutely shocking in its incompetence.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1517 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
USWNT has not allowed a goal in 513 minutes of play.

Put another way, since allowing a goal in the 27th minute of the first game, women's opponents have not scored in eleven halves of play.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: July 01, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »
USA vs England in Canada --- There's some kind of irony there!?

On the 4th of July I believe as well.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: July 01, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
US women caught a break when Sasic missed the PK, but then they finished strong.   Great clincher in the final minutes.   

Was anyone else disappointed after hearing her name pronounced, and then seeing how it was spelled?  It would have been the perfect German last name!
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1520 on: July 01, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »
US quite fortunate. They've had an easy run in which they've been able to underperform and caught the best team in the world coming off an emotionally exhausting victory over (what they perceived) their toughest competitor.

--Played the best 45 all Cup but due to Morgan's terrible finishing they got no reward in the first half.

--Germany regrouped during halftime and was clearly the better team in the second half culminating in the deserved penalty in the 60th.

--Shocking decision by the referee to allow Johnston to remain in the game. Clear as day red card for her.

--Surprising decision by the referee to allow Solo the blatant delay of game tactics prior to the Sasic penalty.

--Shocking decision by the referee to award the USA a penalty when fat guy on the couch could see Morgan was well outside the box.

--Neid was clueless what to do after the US penalty since her ace up the sleeve turned her ankle against France. US dodged that bullet.

--The second goal was an exquisite pass from Lloyd but the German defending was absolutely shocking in its incompetence.

Listen, referee decisions cut both ways.  A German defender should have gotten her second yellow in the 33rd minute of the game and been sent off....that would have changed the game as well.

The US played solid and had a break or two more than Germany....but more importantly took advantage of the breaks they got.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: July 01, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »
On the 4th of July I believe as well.

Close, the game is on Sunday the 5th

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: July 01, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Listen, referee decisions cut both ways.  A German defender should have gotten her second yellow in the 33rd minute of the game and been sent off....that would have changed the game as well.

The US played solid and had a break or two more than Germany....but more importantly took advantage of the breaks they got.

Seriously, did Golden have $$ on the German ML?  The German team got very frustrated and chippy to end the first half and received very little negative impact from the referee for it.  Johnston's foul in the box looked far worse in slow motion and in real time was as questionable as a red as Maier's blatant late tackle and knee to the back of Rapinoe when she was already on a yellow.

I disagree that Germany was clearly better all second half.  They absolutely outplayed the US the first 15-20, but then the US settled down and continued to torch Germany on the flanks.  O'Hara's goal was a brilliant pass for Lloyd and also a clever run from O'Hara on fresh legs and still was marked.

US was the better team most of the game, and was very much deserving of the win.  If Morgan hadn't been awful on the ball in the first half, it could have been over by halftime.  The German wingbacks had absolutely no answer for Rapinoe, Heath, and Lloyd's balls/runs up the middle.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: July 01, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »

Disagree Germany was the better team in the second half.  The only real chance they had all game was the penalty.  I think the stats showed one shot on goal for the whole game?

Disagree it should have been a red on Johnston.  Her hand came back naturally when she went to play the ball.  Was it a penalty? Definitely, but not a red.

Agree on the Morgan penalty, not a penalty at all. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1524 on: July 01, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

--Germany was better for the first 15-20 of the second half. Overall, not so sure.
--Lack of a yellow for Solo was a little surprising, but what difference would it make?
--The US penalty should have been outside the box, but it was immediately outside, not well outside. I've been surprised a few times by questionable penalty/direct kick decisions this tournament. Feels like it skewing towards penalty when I'm used to seeing anything that's even questionable being placed outside the box.
--O'Hara got her leg in front of the defender's. It was poor defending, but not incompetent, much less absolutely shockingly incompetent.

You seem hellbent on discrediting the US performance. How come?

feedback