[Today at 02:29:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 798353 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1400 on: April 07, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Count me in the group of people getting disenchanted with the Klinsmann experiment. I'd hate to lose the recruiter, but the tactics and team identity are a hot mess. Of course, let's see what happens in the Gold Cup.

====

After a rough start, the Fire have won two in a row. I'm reasonably optimistic about the team and the players.

Excellent point about the Gold Cup. All that matters this year is qualifying for the Confederations. As long as we do that, it's mission accomplished for the year. I'm trying to be patient, but I feel like I'm watching the same mistakes over and over again. Though admittedly, it sometimes felt that way under Bradley too, just usually on the attacking end (Ugh...remember Conor Casey?)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1401 on: April 15, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
I HATE when the USSF plays USAvMEX in any southern state. Might as well play our "home" games in Azteca. Pick a midwest, northeast or northwest arena.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1402 on: April 15, 2015, 09:03:39 PM »
The pitch is a bad joke.   Mexico looked better in the first half. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1403 on: April 15, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
Unfit players? That's awful. But risking injury on a crapty field? That's perfectly fine.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1404 on: April 15, 2015, 09:30:32 PM »
I have a question... what's the deal with Jordan Morris (or any other college athlete), taking freebies (like shoes) from the national team sponsor? Is that allowed?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1405 on: April 15, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »
Welcome to the show young Mr. Morris.

As for your question, I'd imagine he probably has to wear his Stanford gear, outside of the jersey and whatnot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1406 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »
Why did they play this outside a FIFA window?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1407 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1408 on: April 16, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
This is a pretty good recap of the game.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/04/15/armchair-analyst-dos-cero-and-legacy-jurgen-klinsmann-three-things

Nice article. Last night felt mixed for me. The first half we showed some real positives, but for stretches were on the back foot. They did better than I expected holding possession, but when was our first actual shot on goal? Seemed like we could control the ball, control the game in the middle third, but just had no sense of cohesion when it came to producing chances. Even on the few set pieces we had, it didn't feel like we presented much of a threat.

Second half was obviously better. Great run by Morris, more chances created, and nice to see Agudelo score. Neither was a full squad, more like B vs B squads, but nice to see a win against Mexico and no goals conceded late. Yarbrough looked a bit shaky at times. Few of the defenders really stood out as negatives, which was definitely a positive. Yedlin is better going forward than going back, but he had a few nice defensive plays as well. Still not sold on Shea as a LB, also a guy better going forward (no surprise).

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1409 on: April 17, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
MLS related... here is a neat graphic of the number of homegrown players per each MLS team. It speaks to the growth of young, academy driven talent into the (mostly) US pool. Of course, nice job, Canadian teams.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1410 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »
By the way, MU Soccer alum Calum Mallace is playing in the CONCACAF Champions League Final tonight for Montreal Impact. Game is on Fox Sports 2 at 7 pm Milwaukee time.

Montreal picked up the road goal last week as the first leg went 1-1. If Montreal gets the result tonight and the victory, they would be the first ever MLS team to win the CCL under the current format.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:28:48 PM by Henry Sugar »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1411 on: April 29, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »
Still just cant get into the MLS. Give me European soccer any day of the week.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1412 on: April 29, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
By the way, MU Soccer alum Calum Mallace is playing in the CONCACAF Champions League Final tonight for Montreal Impact. Game is on Fox Sports 2 at 7 pm Milwaukee time.

Montreal picked up the road goal last week as the first leg went 1-1. If Montreal gets the result tonight and the victory, they would be the first ever MLS team to win the CCL under the current format.

I know very few people outside of the MLS really care about the CCL. And I'm not even convinced the MLS cares.

That said... I love how the Fire are coming together this season. Dare I say they finally hit on a few DP players finally??!?!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1413 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:01 AM »
I know very few people outside of the MLS really care about the CCL. And I'm not even convinced the MLS cares.

That said... I love how the Fire are coming together this season. Dare I say they finally hit on a few DP players finally??!?!

This is really only the first year I've paid attention to the CCL, and most of that is because of the Impact's crazy run... which sort of imploded last night. The only reason I posted it is because of the MU connection. Also, I generally agree that MLS doesn't really pay more than lip service to the competition.

Speaking of the Fire, I am cautiously optimistic. After the first three games, they've been solid. The trend of opponent red cards cannot continue forever, however. They need to do a better job of getting shots on target instead of just shots. This weekend's match with SKC will be a big test. If they get a result, my optimism levels will start to go much higher.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:14:06 AM by Henry Sugar »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: April 30, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »
This is really only the first year I've paid attention to the CCL, and most of that is because of the Impact's crazy run... which sort of imploded last night. The only reason I posted it is because of the MU connection. Also, I generally agree that MLS doesn't really pay more than lip service to the competition.

Speaking of the Fire, I am cautiously optimistic. After the first three games, they've been solid. The trend of opponent red cards cannot continue forever, however. They need to do a better job of getting shots on target instead of just shots. This weekend's match with SKC will be a big test. If they get a result, my optimism levels will start to go much higher.

Agreed. Accam and Maloney have shown real success so far, and I think with time and getting more adjusted, will prove even better. Shipp is continuing his success from last year - only a matter of time till he gets called into a USMNT camp. But I really wish he was 21-22 instead of 24-25. Polster has been a revelation for a rookie - doing exactly what he needs to do and not over-extending himself. Kennedy is a great late game sub. Jones has been better than expected as well. We really need a RB. And I think Sean Johnson departs sooner, rather than later.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1415 on: May 21, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »
"He's got loads of his mates watching in bars in Chicago and Milwaukee.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPWA5wXXeg

9 years ago, Wisconsin's own Jay DeMerit sent Watford to the Premiership.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1416 on: May 21, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
"He's got loads of his mates watching in bars in Chicago and Milwaukee.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPWA5wXXeg

9 years ago, Wisconsin's own Jay DeMerit sent Watford to the Premiership.

Had to be one of the biggest moments ever for an American playing in Europe. At the time they credited that goal as being worth £25 million. While maybe not as spectacular as Dempsey's goal against Juventus, that DeMerit goal was immense.

If anyone is ever looking for a good movie to watch, definitely check out Rise & Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story. Jay pretty much gave up his entire life for a shot at big time soccer, and went from not being offered a contract in America to playing pick-up games in England to the Premier League with Watford to the World Cup. Amazing story.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1417 on: May 24, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
Liverpool down 5-0 at halftime in Steven Gerrard's sendoff game. My Lord Brendan Rodgers sucks.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1418 on: May 26, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
Liverpool down 5-0 at halftime in Steven Gerrard's sendoff game. My Lord Brendan Rodgers sucks.

With nothing to play for other then pride, it's more an indictment on the players Liverpool employs than its manager.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1419 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
With nothing to play for other then pride, it's more an indictment on the players Liverpool employs than its manager.

Are you saying that a guaranteed spot in the Europa League group stage wasn't sufficient motivation?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1420 on: May 26, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
Are you saying that a guaranteed spot in the Europa League group stage wasn't sufficient motivation?

Teal?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1421 on: May 26, 2015, 09:12:06 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1422 on: May 26, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »

The way Rodgers has consistently found new ways to lose with Liverpool, I think he's the problem. Though I may be biased after he tried his darndest to get my beloved Reading FC relegated. He's a moron. Absolute tool of a manager. But I suppose he's a good fit for Liverpool...they are the Cubs of the EPL. Fans forever loyally turning out, team forever missing out on that coveted league crown.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1423 on: May 26, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
The way Rodgers has consistently found new ways to lose with Liverpool, I think he's the problem. Though I may be biased after he tried his darndest to get my beloved Reading FC relegated. He's a moron. Absolute tool of a manager. But I suppose he's a good fit for Liverpool...they are the Cubs of the EPL. Fans forever loyally turning out, team forever missing out on that coveted league crown.

Except for the eleventy trophies they've won in the last century, it's a great analogy.

I've never been convinced of this idea of him being a good tactician. He tinkers too much, and hasn't been able to build a decent defense in the 3 years he's been on Merseyside.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1424 on: May 26, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
Except for the eleventy trophies they've won in the last century, it's a great analogy.

I've never been convinced of this idea of him being a good tactician. He tinkers too much, and hasn't been able to build a decent defense in the 3 years he's been on Merseyside.

That times 50.  He has his flashes, usually mid-season, and as a result there will be a scoring output, but there is just too much inconsistency.  I think he's a decent rebuilder, but is not a long-term solution.  His inability to put together a team with depth has been infuriating as well.

I don't think they get rid of him unless they are sure of a solid replacement waiting in the wings.  I keep hearing chatter about Klopp, but color me very skeptical.