collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788001 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1250 on: July 14, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
Kramer said he can't remember any of the first half from yesterday. Sounds like FIFA needs some concussion protocol.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
Messi with the golden ball? eh...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1252 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
Kramer said he can't remember any of the first half from yesterday. Sounds like FIFA needs some concussion protocol.

Just ask Taylor Twellman.  FIFA is playing with fire in a lot of cases.  Hurray for them that they are starting to gardner attention in the US market....but wait for some of the American press to decide there are eyeballs to be had by investigating FIFA.  The media fire will get hotter on them if they don't figure out the concussion, corruption, and Qatar WC stuff.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: July 14, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: July 14, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
Very few in the "Soccer World" felt that Argentina was the better side yesterday.  Messi was obviously not himself in the tournament and the Argentines could hardly match position by position with the Mannschaft .

Honigstein, Balague, Cross, Hunter, et al. These are soccer writers of various nationalities. All made mention of Argentina's performance last night being better then Germany, whether in totality or for the regulation 90 minutes. Mentioned both on ESPN coverage and beIN Sports coverage that Argentina put in a counter-attacking performance that was top rated and the chances they created being better.

As for your positional argument, I disagree. And I suspect so would Mascherano and Zabaleta and Demichellis and Lavezzi and Messi.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
I was rooting for Argentina as my wife was born there and cared a great deal about the game.  

Sure, Americans admire defense in "their" sports", but in American Sports, no matter how good your defense is, you have to score while playing the actual game, pretty much always more than once, to win.

Nobody would like baseball if all the games were 1-0 or went 12 innings with no score and then a home run derby decided the winner.  Same with football if all the games were 3-0 or 7-0 or 7-3 and a field goal kicking contest decided the winner after an overtime tie.  Defense is admired in American sports because it takes great defense to stop Mike Trout or Peyton Manning or Kevin Durant.  Not the same in soccer.  

You even made the point yourself.  The US defense was pretty porous against Belgium, but Belgium still didn't score in regulation.

It's a can't win position. There were people who thought the NFL overtime set-up was unfair. They changed it and now other people think it's unfair. There are people who find college football overtime a joke. Hell, even hockey went to a soccer-style shootout so they wouldn't have ties. As for baseball? Well, no one likes baseball anymore with its five hour and 29 minute game possibilities. They tried a sudden death in soccer and it was derided because the bracing halt of the game felt unfair. Is there ever a right way to end a game?

We'll disagree about defense in soccer. I've watched hundreds of bad teams play "pack it in" defense and pray. Only in the rare instance do they not get punctured at least once in 90 minutes, even it comes in the 89th. To watch a pure catenaccio style, in the vein that Argentina played yesterday, is to watch a thing of beauty tactically speaking. And it was precisely their good defense that stifled a nation who handled most everyone else with ease in this competition. Part of that was Romero as the GK is always a part of the defense (as shown expertly by Neuer's sweeper keeper routine and Howard's shot stopping).

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #1256 on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
Because their defense was outstanding.

The Argentines absolutely shut down a Belgian outfit that abused your country with offensive chances. The Argentines absolutely shut down a Netherlands squad that embarrassed the greatest generation of a national team in history. The Argentines went toe to toe with Germany, whom many consider the most offensively potent nation in the world at the moment.

Defense wins titles. Americans love to trot out that cliche when it comes to "their" sports. Why can't that be the case in the world's most popular sport? Also, there is a major difference between what Argentina did and sitting back to absorb pressure while hoping not to lose. Argentina had chances in all three of the matches you cite. In fact, some in the soccer world felt they were the better team yesterday. However, despite the intractable opinion of some, no team deserves to win on performance alone. You deserve to win when you score more than the opponent.

Well said about Argentinas defense, and while their offense did sputter they do not have the depth of a Germany.  In fact what team does?, Argentina loses arguero and Di MAria, no different than all teams but 1 and their offense is gonna be stuck in low gear.  I felt Di Maria and Mascherano were Argentinas two best players in the tourney, maybe followed by Zabaleta before Messi.

Loved how MAsherano played.  I have always loved his game and have been more than a bit miffed about how guys like Hudson have been piling on him for Barcas recent defenseive weaknesses.  I contest that he is not the problem its the guys around him and if it were not for MAscerano it would be horrible.  My guess is we will seem Hudson change his tune and swoon all over Masherano after his world cup performance...we will see if he acknowledges that maybe he has been wrong??
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:38:59 AM by River rat »

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #1257 on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
meanwhile on the Dodds board Dodds is ripping on Soccer.  That guy has always seemed extremely odd to me. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: July 22, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
This has been such a fantastic transfer window so far. Keeps things lively in between the world cup and the start of the season. Also, the Colombians are getting PAID.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »
Well said about Argentinas defense, and while their offense did sputter they do not have the depth of a Germany.  In fact what team does?, Argentina loses arguero and Di MAria, no different than all teams but 1 and their offense is gonna be stuck in low gear.  I felt Di Maria and Mascherano were Argentinas two best players in the tourney, maybe followed by Zabaleta before Messi.

Loved how MAsherano played.  I have always loved his game and have been more than a bit miffed about how guys like Hudson have been piling on him for Barcas recent defenseive weaknesses.  I contest that he is not the problem its the guys around him and if it were not for MAscerano it would be horrible.  My guess is we will seem Hudson change his tune and swoon all over Masherano after his world cup performance...we will see if he acknowledges that maybe he has been wrong??

Not strange at all that in the aftermath of the loss most people have incorrectly focused on Messi not being good enough in the Final whereas the focus should be on a team that not once played a full squad yet still found a way to the Final. Aguero was never healthy coming off the injury that kept him out of City at the end of the season and playing virtually the entire QF as well as the SF and Final without a presence like Di Maria was such a blow to Messi's ability to attack.

Agree with you on Mascherano. Amazing to think that he's been forced to play CB in Barcelona for majority of last two seasons due to their ignoring that position during transfer activity. This Cup reinforced that Mascherano is truly one of the better defensive midfielders in the world.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: July 23, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
This has been such a fantastic transfer window so far. Keeps things lively in between the world cup and the start of the season. Also, the Colombians are getting PAID.

And two years from now, half of those teams that signed those Colombians are going to be asking "why did we spend this much for this guy?" 

Happens every World Cup.  Remember when Inter signed Diego Forlan to replace Samuel Eto?  Eesh....

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1261 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

And two years from now, half of those teams that signed those Colombians are going to be asking "why did we spend this much for this guy?" 

Happens every World Cup.  Remember when Inter signed Diego Forlan to replace Samuel Eto?  Eesh....
Arsenal with Arshavin

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: July 23, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »

Yeah, but that was a full year after the WC.  And I think that was more to do with Forlan being well past his prime and less with buying hype.

I would agree that Real is probably overpaying a bit for Rodriguez, but he's young, just had a really good season with Monaco even before the World Cup and was solid with Porto.  I dont think he should have went for more than Suarez, issues and all, but I think he's a budding superstar

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: July 23, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »
Yeah, but that was a full year after the WC.  And I think that was more to do with Forlan being well past his prime and less with buying hype.

I would agree that Real is probably overpaying a bit for Rodriguez, but he's young, just had a really good season with Monaco even before the World Cup and was solid with Porto.  I dont think he should have went for more than Suarez, issues and all, but I think he's a budding superstar

Madrid was smart to get James right now. That left knee of Ronaldo's is chronic. It's going to affect him very much going forward with the way he plays the game and, at 29, he can't afford that. It seems like a cluster right now, especially with a guy like Isco who's either going to be invisible in Madrid or gone in five weeks, but I think a year down the road it all clears up and gives Madrid a true talent they can market globally once Ronaldo starts to flare down. They can't get that with Bale. They can't get that with Benzema. They can't get that with Kroos.

Every one is afraid of Madrid's 11 right now but they haven't played yet. They'll really miss Di Maria. He was the catalyst for their stellar play and he was the reason they won the European Cup.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: July 23, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »
Im not just talking about James. But also Ospina to Arsenal and Cuadrado to Man U. I think Cuadrado will be an absolute steal to whoever gets him.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »
Here's a pretty cool article about a MU Alum (1982) who recently started a pro soccer team in Indy. Guy seems to have had a very nice career.

https://medium.com/we-are-marquette/life-goals-54ea0759897
Bring back FFP!!!

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #1266 on: July 24, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Here's a pretty cool article about a MU Alum (1982) who recently started a pro soccer team in Indy. Guy seems to have had a very nice career.

https://medium.com/we-are-marquette/life-goals-54ea0759897

Peter Wilt led the charge for several years to land an MLS team in Milwaukee.  I'm still disappointed it didn't work out.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #1267 on: July 25, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »
meanwhile on the Dodds board Dodds is ripping on Soccer.  That guy has always seemed extremely odd to me.  

Well, you can't spell Dodd without "odd".

Peter Wilt led the charge for several years to land an MLS team in Milwaukee.  I'm still disappointed it didn't work out.

Think it's still possible?

An MU/UWM/UW pipeline would be awesome.

Plus, beer and soccer go hand in hand.

I hope it happens for Milwaukee and US Soccer's sake.
SS Marquette

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »
Think it's still possible?

An MU/UWM/UW pipeline would be awesome.

Plus, beer and soccer go hand in hand.

I hope it happens for Milwaukee and US Soccer's sake.

Seriously doubt it. At least not anytime soon. MLS has many, many other cities higher up on the list.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1269 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »
Seriously doubt it. At least not anytime soon. MLS has many, many other cities higher up on the list.

Agreed. No way does Milwaukee get an MLS franchise any time soon.

However, has there been any discussion of a NASL or USLPro team for Milwaukee?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1270 on: July 25, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »

Milwaukee use to have a pro outdoor team, Milwaukee Rampage, but I think they moved to Iowa.  I think it was an A-League team.

Stream of consciousness post here.  Bucks are looking to build a new stadium, MSOE wants to build a nice new soccer stadium, convention center is too small and semi-in the wrong place.  Does it make too much sense to build a combined NBA arena, convention center, multi-use outdoor stadium(with emphasis on soccer) near Water st/4th street?

Certainly help getting a lower level team and maybe an MLS team
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #1271 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
I think we lost a golden opportunity that won't be coming back.  Wilt's group had a heck of a time trying to find support from the City.  I believe it was the DCD Commissioner, Rocky Marcoux, who even said something to the effect that Major League Soccer would be coming to Milwaukee over his dead body.  Wilt's group tried to find stadium sites for a 20,000 seater by the Italian Community Center in the Third Ward, and on the vacant Park East land.  The Bradley Center and Frank Gimbel of the Wisconsin Center district threw fits over the downtown locations, so those were shot down.  I remember a last ditch effort was made to have the field on a tray that could be pulled up to the grandstands at the Milwaukee Mile with modular seating on the other sides.  By that point, the economy was going in the tank, and the proposal died.  The City didn't want to set up a TIF for a stadium as it was.

Long story short, like jesmu mentioned, there are many other cities that have replaced Milwaukee on the list of potentials.  Even if we tried to get a relocated franchise after the expansion era is over, the appetite for a publicly-financed stadium just wouldn't be there.  Now if the Bucks happen to leave, maybe that would be a different story.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #1272 on: July 25, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »

The Milwaukee Outdoor Pro Soccer Alliance wants to attract a lower tier team but they sound like a very loose group at the moment.  The article link discusses it a bit.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257016861.html

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1273 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
The Milwaukee Outdoor Pro Soccer Alliance wants to attract a lower tier team but they sound like a very loose group at the moment.  The article link discusses it a bit.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257016861.html

Well, it's certainly a start, but that just reinforces the idea that pro soccer in Milwaukee is a long way away.

Tangent, promotion/relegation is as far away from North America as an MLS franchise is from Milwaukee, but that sure would be a lot of fun. Related to that... several of the NASL/USLPro teams get amazing fan support. Of course, many more NASL/USLPro teams have crazy ownership and are unstable.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: July 26, 2014, 01:33:54 AM »
DROGBA RETURNS! I know this is off topic from the MLS talk but I couldnt tell you the first thing about MLS expansion of who were even in the playoffs last year. Now La Liga and the EPL on the other hand...