[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799252 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1225 on: July 10, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
Missed the first half and, after golf, the beer was flowing, but it seemed to me that the Dutch were the better side and had more of the possession and created many more chances than Argentina.  If so, the better side is playing for third place and the luckier side is through to the final.  Agree?

I don't know.  I only saw the last 20 minutes. 

I think Germany is going to win this.  An extra days rest and a much easier semifinal.  (I wish they would play both semis on the same day.)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Missed the first half and, after golf, the beer was flowing, but it seemed to me that the Dutch were the better side and had more of the possession and created many more chances than Argentina.  If so, the better side is playing for third place and the luckier side is through to the final.  Agree?

The beer clouded your cognition.

The Netherlands didn't have a shot on goal until the 95th minute. Robben was invisible until extra time (and even then he wasn't transcendent). I'm not even sure Van Persie played in the match. Their standout performer was a defender. Sneijder's service was awful.

That said, it was a match for tactic-heads and technical twerps. Both did a great job neutralizing the other's most dangerous threat. Both suffered from periods of abject sloppiness. Both were poor in the final third. Difference was Argentina's GK kept his head whereas the Dutch GK became a massive douchebag and tried to win through silly antics.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »

The Netherlands didn't have a shot on goal until the 95th minute. Robben was invisible until extra time (and even then he wasn't transcendent). I'm not even sure Van Persie played in the match. Their standout performer was a defender. Sneijder's service was awful.

That said, it was a match for tactic-heads and technical twerps. Both did a great job neutralizing the other's most dangerous threat. Both suffered from periods of abject sloppiness. Both were poor in the final third. Difference was Argentina's GK kept his head whereas the Dutch GK became a massive douchebag and tried to win through silly antics.

Explain?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »

I don't know.  I only saw the last 20 minutes. 

I think Germany is going to win this.  An extra days rest and a much easier semifinal.  (I wish they would play both semis on the same day.)

It has been played on the same day twice in the modern game (last 30 years or so) but unsure as to why only those two times had them featured on the same day.

In those competitions where the Semi-Finals are played on two separate occasions the team who wins the second Semi generally goes on to win the Cup. Go figure.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
Explain?

Cillessen started with walking the ball up to Messi for a hand over and embraced his left shoulder. Cillessen then employed the same tactic Krul used against Costa Rica which was the slow stroll on the six yard line and general delay for Garay. Finally, Cillessen worked a different delay on Aguero and Maxi by repeatedly complaining the ball wasn't properly on the spot even though the Turkish referee was standing next to the ball and its proper placement.

All silly gamesmanship antics to where the referee felt a need to have a discussion with the GK about it. In the end, he probably harmed himself the most.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »
I know I don't know much, but I always thought Krul was a pretty good GK in the EPL.  Cillessen has barely played in a lower quality league.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
Missed the first half and, after golf, the beer was flowing, but it seemed to me that the Dutch were the better side and had more of the possession and created many more chances than Argentina.  If so, the better side is playing for third place and the luckier side is through to the final.  Agree?

The Dutch certainly had the ball more, particularly in the 2nd half, but a lot of that was because they were content to just hold onto it at midfield for long periods of time before attacking.  Argentina was more aggressive whenever they got the ball, but usually their attacks were snuffed out quickly.  Argentina did have the better scoring chances, but not many of them.

My wife was born and raised in Argentina and moved to the States for good when she was 15.  Her family is big into this and I try to enjoy it with her, but my biggest problem with the sport is a game like yesterday's where both teams were far, far more concerned with preventing goals than with scoring them.  You could feel that 0-0 tie coming 20 minutes into the game.

May be tactically smart, but not too exciting to watch.  Again, I am a novice to the sport, but that was my take.  I've watched more soccer in the past three weeks than I had in the 50+ years preceding them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:00:40 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »
As the Men in Blazers said yesterday, "Sometimes, football is just a bit crap." Just like any sport, there will be ugly games.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: July 10, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »

My wife was born and raised in Argentina and moved to the States for good when she was 15.  Her family is big into this and I try to enjoy it with her, but my biggest problem with the sport is a game like yesterday's where both teams were far, far more concerned with preventing goals than with scoring them.  You could feel that 0-0 tie coming 20 minutes into the game.

Which is why sudden death OT after the standard OT period would be great for elimination games.  You have to score to win not by silly penalty kicks.  For each OT period, they can allow another substitution on top of the 3 max.  And if teams drag out OT by being far more concerned with preventing goals than with scoring then that's your penalty by tiring your team out with longer play time for the next game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
My wife was born and raised in Argentina and moved to the States for good when she was 15.  Her family is big into this and I try to enjoy it with her, but my biggest problem with the sport is a game like yesterday's where both teams were far, far more concerned with preventing goals than with scoring them.  You could feel that 0-0 tie coming 20 minutes into the game.

I think this stuff happens more in international matches.

My observation is that the offense clicks a lot more during club matches so defenses can't just sick back and play for the tie. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1235 on: July 10, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1236 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »

Agree 100%.  Robben seemed to take one touch too many every time he was close to a dangerous position.  And I don't know what got into Sneijder, but I can't remember one ball on target from him.  One after another too high over the top.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1237 on: July 10, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
The Dutch did not deserve to win yesterday, though not sure either team really did much.  Not a fun game.

I'm ok with penalty kicks, the OT games for a Golden Goal can take forever.  The guys are already so dead tired.  My two cents.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1238 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
Maybe they need a shot clock to make the matches more interesting.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: July 10, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
Just saw a story on the Popes World Cup final.  Francis v. Benedict

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #1240 on: July 10, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
Germany is the best team in the world by a large margin.  They should win on Sunday handily, its a game so we will see but the quality and talent they have at every position is unmatched.  I felt they were the second best team in 2010 , but we too young at the time.  4 years later they are playing at their prime.  Would have loved to see this team with Reus, i am not sure the casual fan realizes how good he is.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1241 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:25 AM »
Germany is the best team in the world by a large margin.  They should win on Sunday handily, its a game so we will see but the quality and talent they have at every position is unmatched.  I felt they were the second best team in 2010 , but we too young at the time.  4 years later they are playing at their prime.  Would have loved to see this team with Reus, i am not sure the casual fan realizes how good he is.

My head says Germany wins, especially with Di Maria out and Aguero not fit. My heart roots for Argentina.

One thing Germany does not have, however, is arguably the greatest player of all time in his prime (bolded for emphasis).

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1242 on: July 11, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »

Agree Germany is the best team by quite a bit.  Frankly, I thought they were the most talented team in 2010 too, but as you said, they lacked experience.  The only wild card, as Henry points out, is Messi.  Even though Germany is more talented overall, you just never know when a player of his caliber goes off for two or three goals.

For those who think the extra day of rest benefits Germany...recall that Spain won in 2010, despite playing a day later than the Netherlands in the semis.

jesmu84

• All American

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »
Last part of 30 for 30's US Soccer video series. Shot during/after Belgium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTRGGeuGY5w

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: July 14, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »
Argentina did not score a goal in their last 322 consecutive minutes of game "action" (3.6 regulation games worth of time), covering their quarterfinal, semifinal and championship games.  Despite this, they were thisclose to having a 50/50 chance of winning via penalty kicks the most prestigious soccer tournament in the world.  How is this the world's most popular sport again?

I will say the winning goal was the result of wonderful offensive play, rather than a blunder by the defense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: July 14, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
Argentina did not score a goal in their last 322 consecutive minutes of game "action" (3.6 regulation games worth of time), covering their quarterfinal, semifinal and championship games.  Despite this, they were thisclose to having a 50/50 chance of winning via penalty kicks the most prestigious soccer tournament in the world.  How is this the world's most popular sport again?

Well I would say that high level club soccer is better, because offenses are better.  (Probably because they play together nine months out of the year.)  You can't win just by sitting back and defending constantly like you can in World Cup games.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: July 14, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
Argentina did not score a goal in their last 322 consecutive minutes of game "action" (3.6 regulation games worth of time), covering their quarterfinal, semifinal and championship games.  Despite this, they were thisclose to having a 50/50 chance of winning via penalty kicks the most prestigious soccer tournament in the world.  How is this the world's most popular sport again?

I will say the winning goal was the result of wonderful offensive play, rather than a blunder by the defense.

Because their defense was outstanding.

The Argentines absolutely shut down a Belgian outfit that abused your country with offensive chances. The Argentines absolutely shut down a Netherlands squad that embarrassed the greatest generation of a national team in history. The Argentines went toe to toe with Germany, whom many consider the most offensively potent nation in the world at the moment.

Defense wins titles. Americans love to trot out that cliche when it comes to "their" sports. Why can't that be the case in the world's most popular sport? Also, there is a major difference between what Argentina did and sitting back to absorb pressure while hoping not to lose. Argentina had chances in all three of the matches you cite. In fact, some in the soccer world felt they were the better team yesterday. However, despite the intractable opinion of some, no team deserves to win on performance alone. You deserve to win when you score more than the opponent.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:43:50 AM by Golden Avalanche »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
Very few in the "Soccer World" felt that Argentina was the better side yesterday.  Messi was obviously not himself in the tournament and the Argentines could hardly match position by position with the Mannschaft .

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
Because their defense was outstanding.

The Argentines absolutely shut down a Belgian outfit that abused your country with offensive chances. The Argentines absolutely shut down a Netherlands squad that embarrassed the greatest generation of a national team in history. The Argentines went toe to toe with Germany, whom many consider the most offensively potent nation in the world at the moment.

Defense wins titles. Americans love to trot out that cliche when it comes to "their" sports. Why can't that be the case in the world's most popular sport? Also, there is a major difference between what Argentina did and sitting back to absorb pressure while hoping not to lose. Argentina had chances in all three of the matches you cite. In fact, some in the soccer world felt they were the better team yesterday. However, despite the intractable opinion of some, no team deserves to win on performance alone. You deserve to win when you score more than the opponent.

I was rooting for Argentina as my wife was born there and cared a great deal about the game.  

Sure, Americans admire defense in "their" sports", but in American Sports, no matter how good your defense is, you have to score while playing the actual game, pretty much always more than once, to win.

Nobody would like baseball if all the games were 1-0 or went 12 innings with no score and then a home run derby decided the winner.  Same with football if all the games were 3-0 or 7-0 or 7-3 and a field goal kicking contest decided the winner after an overtime tie.  Defense is admired in American sports because it takes great defense to stop Mike Trout or Peyton Manning or Kevin Durant.  Not the same in soccer.  

You even made the point yourself.  The US defense was pretty porous against Belgium, but Belgium still didn't score in regulation.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:07:30 PM by CTWarrior »

feedback