[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788392 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1200 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
+1. Makes hockey and soccer results much more random (crapshoot) than other sports. Glad you've seen the light.

Three of the top five ranked teams in the world (Germany #2, Brazil #3, Argentina #5) made it to the semifinals.  Hardly random....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: July 08, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
Three of the top five ranked teams in the world (Germany #2, Brazil #3, Argentina #5) made it to the semifinals.  Hardly random....

Be careful. Some posters here do not believe in those rankings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
I would not want to be a member of that Brazilian team for a while.   I don't know if the fans tonight are going to be angrier at their side for packing it in or the Germans for running roughshod, but I think medium and long term, the anger will be turned inward.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1203 on: July 08, 2014, 06:13:40 PM »
I would not want to be a member of that Brazilian team for a while.   I don't know if the fans tonight are going to be angrier at their side for packing it in or the Germans for running roughshod, but I think medium and long term, the anger will be turned inward.   

The Brazilians spent billions of dollars on these stadiums and infrastructure with a lot of people very pissed off about it. As long as they won the thing, some would justify it.  Now, it will be interesting to see the reaction.  In some ways, I'm glad it was a totally wipeout.  If it was a close loss, you might see rioting in the streets.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: July 08, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »
 Could it be that emotions were so high that they just couldn't focus? They  never organized in the back and were totally unable to regroup after the two goals. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1205 on: July 08, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
Could it be that emotions were so high that they just couldn't focus? They  never organized in the back and were totally unable to regroup after the two goals. 

It felt like MU in 2003 or MU two years ago against Syracuse.  It happens, even to the supposed best team in the world.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: July 08, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
They missed Silva more than Neymar.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: July 08, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
Germany just scored again. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: July 08, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: July 08, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
There is literally nothing in the history of US sports that can compare to what happened. No singular sport means enough to our country to have any serious comparison to what Brazil and their soccer team went through today. It's really incredible.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: July 08, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »
Seattle-Denver Super Bowl?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Seattle-Denver Super Bowl?

Big loss? Yea. Upset? Maybe. But that only really affected one team's fans. Plus, I don't think Denver/Colorado has nearly the history that Brazilian soccer does. Nor the expectations on such a ferocious scale.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1212 on: July 08, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
There is literally nothing in the history of US sports that can compare to what happened. No singular sport means enough to our country to have any serious comparison to what Brazil and their soccer team went through today. It's really incredible.

It is major.  Perhaps if the dream team would have lost in basketball, but too many people in the states don't give a shyte about basketball.  It's not in our fabric.

A few fun conspiracy theories today, so I went to the extreme with mine.  Hey, if you're going to have a conspiracy theory, go big.

My Conspiracy theory:

The Brazilians knew they were cooked a few games ago as they have not played particularly well the entire tournament.  With the latest injury knocking Neymar out and red card situation putting their captain on the bench, they had a very small chance to win.  That said, they could have played a tough enough game and packed it in defensively to keep it close.  If they were to lose, however, by one in a close game that some would blame on the refs or Germany, mass rioting in Brazil was possible.  The Brazilian gov't was already under immense pressure because of the amount of money spent to put this party on when a good chunk of their population is in poverty and residents that used to live near these stadiums put in tent cities when rents went up so much they could no longer afford to live there, well a win was an absolute must.  Anything that was close would bring the population to a boil.

So the Brazilian gov't paid off the players to make it a total destruction, one that left mouths agape, so beyond explanation to numb the populace.  If they lose by a ton, no one can blame the refs or some other action, the anger turns to sorrow and people drinking themselves silly and sleeping it off.

Go big I say.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1213 on: July 09, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RLZUKqpXYzU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RLZUKqpXYzU</a>

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:04 AM »
It is major.  Perhaps if the dream team would have lost in basketball, but too many people in the states don't give a shyte about basketball.  It's not in our fabric.

A few fun conspiracy theories today, so I went to the extreme with mine.  Hey, if you're going to have a conspiracy theory, go big.

My Conspiracy theory:

The Brazilians knew they were cooked a few games ago as they have not played particularly well the entire tournament.  With the latest injury knocking Neymar out and red card situation putting their captain on the bench, they had a very small chance to win.  That said, they could have played a tough enough game and packed it in defensively to keep it close.  If they were to lose, however, by one in a close game that some would blame on the refs or Germany, mass rioting in Brazil was possible.  The Brazilian gov't was already under immense pressure because of the amount of money spent to put this party on when a good chunk of their population is in poverty and residents that used to live near these stadiums put in tent cities when rents went up so much they could no longer afford to live there, well a win was an absolute must.  Anything that was close would bring the population to a boil.

So the Brazilian gov't paid off the players to make it a total destruction, one that left mouths agape, so beyond explanation to numb the populace.  If they lose by a ton, no one can blame the refs or some other action, the anger turns to sorrow and people drinking themselves silly and sleeping it off.

Go big I say.   ;)

As far as consipracy theories go thats a pretty good one and logical but knowing how much the world cup means to Brazil I doubt the players would have bought into that.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »

not even the 1972 US vs. USSR mens Olympic Bball?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: July 09, 2014, 08:48:16 AM »
not even the 1972 US vs. USSR mens Olympic Bball?

I don't think so.  Basketball doesn't mean the same thing to Americans as soccer does to Brazil.  It is part of their national identity. 

Watching the complete destruction of their national team, on their home soil, the team that supposedly plays "the beautiful game."  Chicos is right.  It seriously could have a long term impact on their national psyche.  They spent all that money, and basically got nothing but embarrassment in return.

Now let's see what happens with the Olympics in two years.  Not going to be pretty.  Political unrest could be massive...revolutionary even.  The rise of Hugo Chavez like figure isn't out of the question.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1217 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »
Brazil still talks about losing in 1950 on their home soil.

There is no American equivalent. That's because America is the best.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: July 09, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
It will be REALLY interesting to see what happens with the 3rd place game. ESPECIALLY if they play Argentina.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
Argentina in the final. Brazil humiliated. Things probably couldn't get much worse for that country.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: July 10, 2014, 07:02:08 AM »
I really hate the penalty kick tie-break in elimination games.  Can they please just play a sudden death period instead?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
I really hate the penalty kick tie-break in elimination games.  Can they please just play a sudden death period instead?

The problem is that when you are going on to two hours, no one is trying to score.  If you watched the extra time of that game, it was brutal.  Argentina had a couple decent chances and that's about it.

I think soccer would benefit if it had more extensive substitutions.  But that's just an outsider commenting on a sport that he doesn't understand all that much.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »

The problem is that when you are going on to two hours, no one is trying to score.  If you watched the extra time of that game, it was brutal.  Argentina had a couple decent chances and that's about it.

I think soccer would benefit if it had more extensive substitutions.  But that's just an outsider commenting on a sport that he doesn't understand all that much.

Missed the first half and, after golf, the beer was flowing, but it seemed to me that the Dutch were the better side and had more of the possession and created many more chances than Argentina.  If so, the better side is playing for third place and the luckier side is through to the final.  Agree?

feedback