[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Alumnus Jim Foley Held Captive in Libya - Sign Petition for His Release  (Read 27459 times)

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Jim Foley, 1996 Graduate of Marquette University, was working as a freelance journalist in Libya when he was taken captive by forces loyal to Gadhafi. Here is a link to the most recent Boston Globe article on Foley's story:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/04/11/agency_hopeful_on_release_of_reporter_in_libya/

Stories like these are the kind that fill the newspapers and in the course of our days we don't give much thought to the people behind the stories. But now it is one of our own. Jim graduated from Marquette in 1996 and is a huge hoops fan (Marquette and Boston Celtics). Please take 1.5 minutes and fill out the petition linked below. Jim has been held since last Tuesday, first by the Gadhafi loyalists, then by the Libyan military, and now it appears by the Libyan state. The goal of the petition is to present it to those assisting with the diplomatic efforts to demand Jim's swift release.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/free-captured-American-journalists/

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=200999243274404&id=1171142639&ref=notif&notif_t=share_reply#!/FreeFoley

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:53:52 AM by Mike_Marquette »

beercanindasky

• Walk-On
petition link is not going to a petition.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Fixed. Thank you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Shouldn't this petition go to Obama and not Libya?

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
It goes to the US State Department, which is the specific diplomatic entity within the United States government responsible for working to facilitate Jim Foley's release from Libya. 

Please don't hijack this thread and turn it into a political one. This is about a fellow Marquette alum who needs help, even in the small form of signing a petition or keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Petition or no petition, I fear that Jim is in for a long stay.  I'm sure that Gadhafi's crazy enough to think that this gives him leverage over the U.S.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
There have been some assurances (by Gaddafi's son) that Foley and the other journalists would be released. There have been indications that there will be a press conference soon in Libya about the journalists.

Our hope is that Libya will release these journalists swiftly and treat them well while they are captive in an effort to show the world their civility. They recently did this with some reporters from the New York Times.

In any event, 1.5 minutes of your time can complete the petition and show the world that people do care and are paying attention. Thanks.

BrewCity83

• All American
I did it. 

I just hope Gaddafi doesn't come after me know that he has my address.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
It goes to the US State Department, which is the specific diplomatic entity within the United States government responsible for working to facilitate Jim Foley's release from Libya. 

Please don't hijack this thread and turn it into a political one. This is about a fellow Marquette alum who needs help, even in the small form of signing a petition or keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. 

I'm not hijacking it.  I'm glad to see it's going where it needs to go.  At one point I thought you were directing this thing to Ghadafi's camp which was going to get you nowhere.  I'm sure Mrs. Clinton and Department of State are doing what they can.  I hope it works out where he and the others can come out safely.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Just signed the petition, I'm signature #1000. 20% of the way to the goal :)
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Avenue Commons

• All American
I knew Jim Foley at Marquette. He's a great guy. Please sign the petition. It is a simple thing to help support a fellow Marquette alum in an obvious time of need. 
We Are Marquette

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Thanks to everyone who has responded by signing the petition. Before I put up this post on the message boards there were only a few hundred signatures, and now there are over 1000. No doubt the Marquette community stepped up big. There are over 1000 page views on both of the boards and, hopefully, lots more emails, tweets, Facebook posts, etc to your Marquette connections. Thank you.

Here's a great article from the Concord Monitor on Jim Foley's work as a war reporter in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya and the importance of these reporters during a time of war: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/250832/journalist-reminds-us-whats-at-stake

NersEllenson

• All American
Signed.  Jim is a great guy and as a friend of his from MU - appreciate the support of those who have participated/signed the petition.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
FWIW - we just put it out there via the Cracked Sidewalks FB page and twitter feed.  Whenever we get off our lazy butts and do a media update it'll be included too.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Will sign and pray for him, but would Libya really care what 5,000 US citizens care about? I'm sure our government is doing their best to get him back whether or not some alumns sign this petition. Feel this should be a support page instead of some petition.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Petitions are a symbolic and historic way of communicating a group's concern to the government. Petitioning is a large part of how and why the First Amendment came to so broadly protect freedom of speech in the Bill of Rights. A petition, unlike a support page, therefore has a historic weight that an online support page would not.

Similarly, the Federal and many State Governments often pass "resolutions" which have little to no weight legally. However, in much the same way as a group of citizens present a petition, a resolution shows that the governmental arm wishes to voice its support/opposition to a subject in a formal and recognized manner.

The bottom line is that Jim Foley will obviously not be released because of a certain number of citizens' signatures alone. But the petition will show our support of our fellow Marquette alum and demonstrate that people do care about Jim Foley and the other journalists working to expose light on a part of the world where it otherwise would not shine. Please sign the petition as it shows the world that you are one of the people that care. Thanks. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Can we move this to the Superbar?  Joe Fulce's new mixtape had more to do with MU bball than this.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Can we move this to the Superbar?  Joe Fulce's new mixtape had more to do with MU bball than this.

Wow.

What it has to do with Marquette basketball is that a Marquette alumnus, who is a huge Marquette basketball fan and a fan of basketball generally, has been taken captive by the Libyan government. This captivity was a result of his following his passions and beliefs, many of which were formed at Marquette University, to do what he can to help others in need and to live a life of principle and faith.

I hope that basis is sufficient enough for you.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Wow.

What it has to do with Marquette basketball is that a Marquette alumnus, who is a huge Marquette basketball fan and a fan of basketball generally, has been taken captive by the Libyan government. This captivity was a result of his following his passions and beliefs, many of which were formed at Marquette University, to do what he can to help others in need and to live a life of principle and faith.

I hope that basis is sufficient enough for you.

Nothing personal, it's just not basketball.  Plus, there's already a thread in the Superbar about it started 4 days before this one:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26712.0

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
Filled it out and Facebooked it.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Shameless bump.

The story of Jim Foley's captivity, as it hits Day 14, has started to get lots of media attention and vigils in New Hampshire in Chicago all made the local news. Please visit www.FreeFoley.org for links to media mentions and info on what you can do to help a fellow Marquette alumnus. People in Milwaukee, please keep your eyes open for a WTMJ story on Foley tonight.

Ring Out Ahoya and AMDG.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Marquette is having a prayer vigil for Jim Foley on April 26th. Please also keep Jim and his family in your thoughts and prayers over the Easter weekend. Details below:

http://www.marquette.edu/faith/

Prayers for James Foley
The Marquette family is praying for James Foley, Arts '96, alumnus and freelance journalist, who is being held by the Libyan government along with three other journalists. The thoughts and prayers of the Marquette community are with James, the other journalists and their families.

A prayer vigil is scheduled at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26th in the Chapel of the Holy Family in the Alumni Memorial Union, 1442 W. Wisconsin Avenue.

To learn more about what you can do, visit www.freefoley.org, or send a Prayer Request via this website.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
his story made the Madison news tonight.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
Jim's parents were just on Good Morning America.

WildBill77RT

• Scholarship Player
  • I know where the Superbar is
Bump.

Prayer Vigil for Foley at the Union Chapel tonight (Tuesday, Apr 26) @6pm  if you're in the area.
\\\oo///

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Today's Marquette Tribune reports on a small, yet much-needed bit piece of good news:

Detained Alumnus Gets Call Home
Link: http://marquettetribune.org/2011/04/26/news/libya-tdz1-tw2-dac3-captive-journalist-foley-granted-minor-luxuries/

While there's still a ways to go, that "one phone call" you're given after being arrested - the chance to simply hear a loved one's voice again - can make all the difference in the world.

drewm88

• All American

96warrior

• Team Captain
AWESOME. Thanks for posting the update.

reinko

• All American
According to @BreakingNews it just happened in the last hour or so.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/liveblog/libya

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Thank you to everyone who signed the petition, spread the word, or even just said a prayer for our fellow Marquette alumnus, Jim Foley. The amount of support was wonderful. I'd also like to share that the Jesuits, through their outpost in Malta (one of the few countries with an embassy in Libya) were working to help facilitate Foley's release. No action was too small, and the sum total of all those efforts did have an effect. Thank you again, on behalf of Jim's Marquette friends, for everyone who did anything no matter how small of an action.

By the way, earlier in this thread the question was asked "what good would a petition do." I wanted to share this article, and in particular, this segment on the effectiveness of grassroots efforts:

"Social media and petitions do work. At Care2 we've see them work every day to create real change in the world. You linked to the four journalists detained in Libya that might be released this week. Care2 worked with the friends and families of those journalists to create a petition, spread the word and continue to keep pressure on the U.S. State Department and other more friendly governments in an effort to get James Foley, Clare Gillis and the two others released. Without this grassroots momentum and sites like FreeFoley.org being used to organize vigils and keep the issue relevant to U.S. and international media, the phone calls home, visits from third-party and their release would not be happening. Almost 35,000 have signed the petition on Care2 to bring the journalists home. (http://www.bit.ly/freefoley)."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/dorothy-parvaz-care2-syria-facebook-twitter-hashtag-2011-5#ixzz1Mr6etkIn

http://www.businessinsider.com/dorothy-parvaz-care2-syria-facebook-twitter-hashtag-2011-5

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
Final post on this subject. For those of you who following Jim Foley's story, here is a video of Jim describing the situation in his own words. Thanks again to all who did anything to support Jim.

http://www.globalpost.com/video/5647280/james-foley-recalls-his-captivity-under-gaddafi

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

By the way, earlier in this thread the question was asked "what good would a petition do." I wanted to share this article, and in particular, this segment on the effectiveness of grassroots efforts:

So you take a back-patting press release's word that internet petitions work from an internet-petition company?

Yeah, I'm sure that Libya was saying, "Man, if this petition hits 35k people we'll *have* to release him!"  What a joke!

GBMU

• Walk-On
So you take a back-patting press release's word that internet petitions work from an internet-petition company?

Yeah, I'm sure that Libya was saying, "Man, if this petition hits 35k people we'll *have* to release him!"  What a joke!

we get it.  You didn't care.  A MU bball fan was in a put in a position that your daily hum-drum life could never even come close to and some people that cared about him asked for support.   If that really works you up that this quasi non-bball post was put up, how about you just stop clicking on the thread?  You just sound like such a jaded, bitter person.   Even after such a terrible story had a happy resolution, you still have to get a few more jabs in.   

Hope you find happiness somewhere, obviously it's not on a MU basketball website....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

we get it.  You didn't care.  A MU bball fan was in a put in a position that your daily hum-drum life could never even come close to and some people that cared about him asked for support.   If that really works you up that this quasi non-bball post was put up, how about you just stop clicking on the thread?  You just sound like such a jaded, bitter person.   Even after such a terrible story had a happy resolution, you still have to get a few more jabs in.   

Hope you find happiness somewhere, obviously it's not on a MU basketball website....

You should create an online petition for my happiness.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
To Skatastrophy's point, I neither signed the Foley petition nor would I sign the Skatastrophy Should be Happy petition, not because "I don't care" as GBMU puts it, but due to their phenomenal lack of potential effectiveness.

Thinking a petition won't change an outcome isn't "jaded" or "bitter."  Libya shoots people who disagree.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Yeah, sorry for being glib.

Donating money to lobbyists is the only way to affect real political change in the US.  I avoid online petitions because, for the most part, they are put together for the sake of gathering up personal information to sell to 3rd parties for marketing purposes.  Care2 says they don't do that though, which is great nice of them :)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The Free Jim Foley facebook page devolved into spam.  I had to unlike it, but felt guilty.

Glad that's off my chest.  Also that he's free.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GBMU

• Walk-On
To Skatastrophy's point, I neither signed the Foley petition nor would I sign the Skatastrophy Should be Happy petition, not because "I don't care" as GBMU puts it, but due to their phenomenal lack of potential effectiveness.

Thinking a petition won't change an outcome isn't "jaded" or "bitter."  Libya shoots people who disagree.

I agree with you and skat's general overall view to online petitions (Is it sad that we are now discussing the functionality of petitions).  I don't sign 'em, I don't like 'em.   My point was you don't need to go out of your way to dump on a thread that some people, particularly the person who started it, found it important and you have to come back to just to bring people down.   Like I said, a terrible situation had a positive ending - leave it at that.  Whether or not it had anything to do with certain people's efforts doesn't matter.  You just had to throw your two cents in and try to discredit someone who was just trying to do something positive.   I thought there might be a better use of your time.  I guess you use your leisure time to turn positive things into negative.   now I wasn't an English major so there might be a better adjective, but I just went with bitter/jaded

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
For the same reason you spent your time calling us out for being jaded, we spent time calling a petition website out for being proud of an action that it had not one iota of influence on the outcome.

Let's call it even.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
The "Free Foley" public relations campaign was awarded the Silver Anvil Award of Excellence by the Public Relations Society of America this week. The public relations campaign was greatly helped by people throughout the Marquette community. Administrators, alumni and current students all were critical in the success of the public relations campaign. Special thanks goes to Marquette alum Peter Pedraza (a/ka/ "ppp_098" on the boards) for his PR expertise during a critical time.

A year later we are all still thankful for everyone's help and amazed at the power of passion, friendship and faith. I wanted to again thank everyone here who helped by signing the petition. Ring Out Ahoya.

-Mike Keating, BusAd '97

Read/Watch Jim Foley's story and Marquette's involvement: http://diederich.marquette.edu/Default.aspx?itemID=127

http://www.prsa.org/awards/silveranvil/silveranvilresults/archive/2012%20silver%20anvil%20results.pdf

Bocephys

• All American
Another successful scoop letter writing campaign!

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
not another midnight express??  our prayers are with ya jim!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Another successful scoop letter writing campaign!

Post of the month.

BrandonA

• Walk-On
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:23:29 PM by BrandonA »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
It's really terrible.  I read about on USA today.  It makes you sick and very mad.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Kinda confused what happened here? I mean all the posts till the bump were all positive "he's gonna be freed" stuff.
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
Kinda confused what happened here? I mean all the posts till the bump were all positive "he's gonna be freed" stuff.

That was the first time he was held captive.

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle

He was released in 2011. Later, he was held in captivity a second time – the latest by ISIS.

feedback