collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU alum detained in Libya. Please pray for his safety.  (Read 3941 times)

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
MU alum detained in Libya. Please pray for his safety.
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/war/conflict-zones/110407/libya-globalpost-journalist-arrested-gaddafi

Journalist James Foley reporting for GlobalPost from Benghazi, Libya in mid-March. Foley, along with three other foreign journalists, was detained by forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Tuesday afternoon. (GlobalPost)
BOSTON — Forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have taken prisoner James Foley, a freelance contributor to GlobalPost, and three other foreign journalists.

Peter Bouckaert, director of emergencies for Human Rights Watch, who is based in Geneva, informed GlobalPost of the detentions early Thursday morning. He said the journalists had been taken on Tuesday afternoon while they were reporting on the outskirts of Brega.

But Thursday evening Libyan government sources in Tripoli told Western journalists that the four journalists have been located and are on their way to Tripoli where they will be released. The Libyan sources did not say where the journalists are being held or when they would be released.

GlobalPost and other news organizations are continuing to work to gather additional information about the journalists' condition and whereabouts and to secure their timely release.

(Read more about journalists targeted in Libya.)

The initial information that the capture of the journalists came in an email to Bouckaert from New York Times reporter C.J. Chivers containing eyewitness accounts at the scene. Those witnesses said that the van Foley was travelling in with the other journalists had been stopped by an indirect fire strike and that Gaddafi forces took the journalists prisoner and released the driver. It is believed that, along with Foley, Clare Morgana Gillis, an American freelance journalist; Manu Brabo, a Spanish photographer; and Anton Hammerl, a South African photographer; were also detained.

GlobalPost has been in contact with James Foley’s family and is working with all of the organizations involved, including the U.S. State Department, Human Rights Watch, and the Committee to Protect Journalists, to gather information and secure the journalists’ release. GlobalPost CEO and President Philip S. Balboni released this statement:

“Requests have been made to the Libyan foreign media office for the release of James Foley and the other journalists detained by government forces. We appeal to the Libyan authorities for the immediate and safe release of these journalists. Our thoughts are with Jim’s family and with the families of the other journalists.”

(Watch videos and read stories from James Foley in Libya and Afghanistan.)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: MU alum detained in Libya. Please pray for his safety.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
Is he any relation to Jim Foley, former SID of MU, color announcer for Houston Rockets?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
Is he any relation to Jim Foley, former SID of MU, color announcer for Houston Rockets?

Or Matt Foley, motivational speaker?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I know this is serious stuff).
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »
You, Houwarrior, are a lazy fool and dead wrong, as you often are on your rambling posts here.
If you'd take the time to research this you could have learned Foley has ties to NH
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110408/GJNEWS_01/704089860
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:09:04 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 10:11:35 AM »
You, Houwarrior, are a lazy fool and dead wrong, as you often are on your rambling posts here.
If you'd take the time to research this you could have learned Foley has ties to upstate  New York
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110408/GJNEWS_01/704089860

hey hey hey.  no personal attacks
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
Or Matt Foley, motivational speaker?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I know this is serious stuff).

Isn't Matt Foley a Marquette alum too?

In seriousness, will definitely keep him in my prayers.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
Isn't Matt Foley a Marquette alum too?

Yes.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
hey hey hey.  no personal attacks
I claim an exception---I personally attacked myself, which I reserve the right to do with regularity

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
Jim is a friend of mine and the original poster here...he's a 96 alum of MU and a great dude.  One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.  He and his family are in the thoughts and prayers of his close circle of friends from MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
Yes.

Is the Matt Foley you refer to now a priest....and was a close friend to Chris Farley?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
I wonder if God will allow me to *bump* my prayer from 18 months ago.

It feels like praying for a smoker who didn't quit smoking after his first lung transplant and now needs another.  It's still a human life at stake, but come on... did you think about what you'd be putting friends, family & loved ones through when you decided to put yourself in a position for this to happen all over again?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
I'm all for a free press and rights of journalists, but come on.  This cat is either unlucky as all hell or really good at getting caught by terrorists.

feedback