Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: New Jerseys?  (Read 104760 times)

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
Re: New Jerseys?
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
I completely agree with everything that is being said. I had high hopes for these but I feel as though the drawing is almost cartoon-ish...plus you can't see Al's face!  They should have stuck with what we know best, Marquette Hall or maybe the Marquette seal would have been both better options than this.  I'm curious to see how the design looks on the different colored unis.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
What a bunch of negativity.

Honestly, I think the stuff on the back of jerseys is a little silly, but man...it's just a jersey!  Of course, I am hoping for a black alternate with ridiculously obnoxious neon gold (to debut at the Kohl Center), loved Maryland's uniforms last night, and generally like what Oregon does.  The flashier the better.  I want people talking about them.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:24:51 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #277 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
I agree Sultan, the flashier the better, kids now a days love this stuff, and DJO loves them as well:

KingMe_DJ1 Darius Johnson-Odom
We will have the coldest uniforms in college this year!!! #factz
13 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #278 on: September 06, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
LOVE IT!!  This is the future of uniforms.  When can I buy one??
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #279 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
What a bunch of negativity.

The flashier the better.  I want people talking about them.

I'm still looking for this flash. I can see it in other areas other than the picture. Even something like Dukes back would look better. Not a fan. I hope this is a joke. Last year we (IMO) no doubtably had the best uniforms, now we no doubtably dont.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
The flashier the better

This is flashy, for someone in grade school.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
Like a lot of others, I'm not a big fan of the graphics on the back of jerseys.  I can't believe that I'm saying this (particularly in light of the fact that I was one of the ones hoping they'd use this Al image), but I think that they almost hit this one out of the park.  Remove the Al image and I think that this is a great, under-stated design.  But I think the Al image just screws it up.

Maybe I the reason I feel this way is because I just don't like these graphics, and if you took out those out-stretched arms, this graphic would pretty much disappear under the name/number/logo and it would just look like pattern of perforation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
That would be pretty awesome in theory, I wonder if it could be pulled off without looking dumb though.

So, what do you think?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
Al's face will not be covered on a 2 digit jersey, like #32.  

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:32 AM »
It was nice of them to tell us what color the jersey is in place of the player's name on the back.  I assume the home jerseys will say "WHITE" and the roads will say "NAVY".  

Also, I'm happy to see that we will once again have the baby blues.  
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
I'd give it a B-... the vision is there, but the final product simply lacked execution.

However, I'm willing to give MU a pass on this one.  If the players are stoked about the new design (which apparently at least one is), that's all that matters.  After all, the uniforms are not designed for the fans, they're designed for the people wearing them, and as long as they have street cred, that's good enough for me.  Think of the uni's as a recruiting tool, not a revenue source.

So who cares what we think about it.  Jerseys are for the kids... all we should be discussing is the 2011 re-design of the MU sweater-vest.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »
OK, where can I get a baby blue sweater vest with the MU ghost design on the back?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »
Al's face will not be covered on a 2 digit jersey, like #32.  

But then his arms will be covered.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
The flashier the better.

That must be why schools like Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas are having trouble attracting top football recruits.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »
So, what do you think?

I think it's weird that they chose to release it to us with a single digit number when the design is clearly catered toward double digits (open space on the sides and Al being in the middle).  That being said, I like it.  I think it will look much better with a double digit number since Al's face will be peeking out and only parts of his arms should be covered.  Also, it won't have as much negative space on the edges that make the middle look as cluttered as it does now.  I think they did the smart thing by not including any Golden Eagle related things so as to not give alumni another thing to complain about as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »
Certain schools rely on flash...certain schools rely on tradition.  MU has a history of unique and flashy uniforms.  We should embrace that.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
As someone who has long disliked the ghost image on jerseys, these are pretty tame.  They're not too busy.  I'm happy that Al's on there, but the designers should have taken into account that his face would be covered by single digit unis.  
I like that they have Latin on there, causes people to take a second and look it up and possibly learn a bit about the Jesuit mission.  

All in all, I'd give it a 8.5.  I really like the other changes - shoulders and stripes - enough that this is a positive than the previous.  And it will be a matter of time before a lot more schools go with this design.  I know we will see some truly awful ghost graphics on jerseys in the near future.  

I'd be interested to see a 0 uniform number, if Al's face falls right in the middle of it.

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Whats the point of having images like these on the back of the Jersey if the player's number is just going to cover up half of the details?  The fact that Al's face is squarely under the #2 is pretty silly.

his face is under the number 2, but it will be visible on any double digit jersey.
We Are Elite

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
I tend to agree with T-Bone's assessment.  It's OK, and I'm much happier about changing the shoulder-strap thing.  The back graphics provide a lot of opportunity to screw it up, and this is relatively benign.  We can gripe about Al getting covered, but overall, it could have been worse.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I hate you so much sometimes, Marquette. I really do. I just don't understand you.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
His face won't be covered. If you get rid of the idiotic circle design with the MU on the back which is entirely unnecessary I think it looks great. The 1881 and the Cura Personalis look fine without the circle, and everything else IMO is awesome.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
Actually, if you bumped Al up on the design and the number down just a bit, I think you could get Al's head above the number and make his outstretched arms look like they're embracing the player's name.  Which would be a slight improvement - though it would depend on how low the number actually went, might be weird.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
I believe Jim Graebert is the culprit. FIRE HIM.

http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/graebert_jim01.html

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
I'm with the crowd that thinks the idea of the back graphic is a bit off, but if we were going to do it, it could've been much worse. I like what was selected, and even if a bit cluttered, it is a pretty nice Marquette cross section.  The only thing I might have liked incorporated was the "We're Uptown People" sign from the championship run. But thats picking nits to the extreme.

A larger point for me is that can this please signal the end of the chicken hawk?  The university bascially had its chance to put any number of logos, symbols, sayings, etc on the back of the jersey and whether it was Nike, its lack of popularity, or whatever other reason, it didnt even make the cut.  Hopefully the powers that be PLEASE get the message that if the hawk couldnt be squeezed in amongst 4 other symbols, it shouldnt be the main logo on anything and that no one wants it

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »
The seal would have looked damn good in that circle.