[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN: MU Still In  (Read 10111 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
ESPN: MU Still In
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
On Sportscenter tonight, they had the updated last in and first out.  We aren't on the list.

Last 4 In:
Michigan State
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Colorado

First 4 Out:
Alabama
Georgia
USC
Baylor

Gotleib's Panic Meter:
Virginia Tech 10 (must win next game)
Georgetown 7 (10 if not healthy for tourney)
Villanova 7 (lost last 4 games)
Michigan State 6 (Izzo doesn't get them in, tough non conference schedule will get them in)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: ESPN: MU Still In
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »
Just saw this too. While we're not in an optimal position, we're still doing okay in terms if getting a bid.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »
Would agree, probably still in but not optimal.  Glad Texas won tonight.  Of course, how many upsets this week are going to be key.  I don't think anyone here would argue that Tuesday is a must win.

Or maybe that's not the case...anyone think we can lose Tuesday and make it into the NCAA Tournament?  I'm not one of those folks

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
Would agree, probably still in but not optimal.  Glad Texas won tonight.  Of course, how many upsets this week are going to be key.  I don't think anyone here would argue that Tuesday is a must win.

Or maybe that's not the case...anyone think we can lose Tuesday and make it into the NCAA Tournament?  I'm not one of those folks

Yes, I do. But I plan to make that argument tomorrow. The simple answer though is yes, most likely as a 12 seed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
Where did you see this? Tv or online?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:29:57 PM »
TV.

If we lose Tuesday I'll definately worry but even with a loss it all depends on what the other bubble teams and small conference tournaments do.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »
Lunardi didn't even mention us.  They just interviewed him on college basketball final.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »
Yup. He has Boston College in. Look at their resume and tell me that they are even close to us. I think a win on Tuesday and we are in with a 10 seed.

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »
Does this mean we are in? Or next for out? Or out?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »

We loseTuesday and this team is toast.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
Lose Tuesday and we are still better than BC.  I will be freaking out though.

Also a funny moment when they pixelated Pitino's mouth in the UL highlight.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »
This might sound asinine, but I kinda like right where MU is at. This way they sneak into the tourney as a 10, 11, or 12 with a win or two(gotta at least get that first one though of ocurse). Now, I know they aren't playing the best, however, all you have to do is get there and anything can happen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »
Yup. He has Boston College in. Look at their resume and tell me that they are even close to us. I think a win on Tuesday and we are in with a 10 seed.

This is where it gets scary in the room.  As I mentioned to you guys before, different people use different criteria.  Elgin stated that it's really up to each member to determine what is most important to them.

If someone is totally into the RPI, you could make the Boston College case rather easily....and that's the dilemma.  What will the committee members use.

As an example:

Boston College RPI is 41
Marquette RPI is 68

See what I mean?

Boston College strength of schedule is 18
Marquette strength of schedule is 31

BC is 18-11.  MU is 18-13

BC has wins over Texas A&M, Bucknell, California, Maryland, Va Tech twice.  Nothing great aside from the A&M victory.

I would agree that MU's wins are better but who knows what the committee is going to look at, and that's the scary part in my opinion. 

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »
lunardi has 11 from big east going-we must win first game of tourney or we become the bitch points of everyone replacing mich. state and izzzo pop

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
This is according to Lunardi from 1:44 am Eastern time

Here is Joe Lunardi's latest Bracketology update. Check back Sunday night for another update in the Nation blog and then again on Monday for Lunardi's full bracket.

TOP SEEDS

East: Ohio State
Southwest: Kansas
Southeast: Pittsburgh
West: Duke

CONFERENCE BREAKDOWN

Big East (11)
ACC (6)
Big Ten (6)
Big 12 (6)
SEC (4)
Atlantic 10 (3)
Mountain West (3)
Pac-10 (3)
Colonial (2)
Horizon (2)
West Coast (2)

LAST BYES (avoid First Four games in Dayton)

Butler
Richmond
Michigan
Clemson

LAST FOUR IN

Michigan State
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Colorado

FIRST FOUR OUT

Alabama
Georgia
USC
Baylor

NEXT FOUR OUT

Washington State
Memphis
Nebraska
UTEP

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
I can't really "freak out" if we lose Tuesday.  Frankly, if we lose to PC we don't really belong.  It wouldn't be a great injustice if we were left out.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 07:24:42 AM »
I can't really "freak out" if we lose Tuesday.  Frankly, if we lose to PC we don't really belong.  It wouldn't be a great injustice if we were left out.
totally agree-tuesday we make our bed

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »
MU needs two wins in the BET to get their mojo back. With the attitude and energy the team is playing with right now, they'll lose the first game in the NIT. If they don't, do you really think they deserve to be in NCAA tourney?

This team plays like it has ADD -- loses interest for extended periods. Even in victory, the final 10 minutes can be difficult to watch.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
Going into the UC game, I thought they needed to win one more, to avoid losing three straight to end the year. I still think so, although I would no longer be shocked if they made it regardless.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »
CBB is spot on - best to win 2 and take away any opportunity for the Committee to even make us part of the bubble discussion.  Tuesday is a MUST WIN game for sure. A loss then and it's over.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 09:22:41 AM »
Hoping to dance of course but have a deep dark feeling something is wrong. Had primo seats in Hartford and the kids' energy was great. Cinch looked like a sleepwalk and was at last night's game and felt very let down. The defense was it's usual lousy and no one save JFB looks like they care on offense. Is it fatigue, of body or of mind? Frankly, it looks like you could stick a fork in 'em.

As an aside, is there any sense to Buzz's sunning pattern? I know some are the offense/defense kind but it seemed that there wasn't a stoppage of play where 1 or 2 changes were made - appeared somewhat chaotic.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
This might sound asinine, but I kinda like right where MU is at. This way they sneak into the tourney as a 10, 11, or 12 with a win or two(gotta at least get that first one though of ocurse). Now, I know they aren't playing the best, however, all you have to do is get there and anything can happen.

Aw shucks, a girl can dream, can't she?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »
If Michigan and Michigan State are in at 9-9 in the Big Ten, we HAVE to be in. Neither of them beat anyone all year, we have 4 top 25 wins. Just goes to show you how critical it is to close the year out strong.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
This makes me feel a little better... sorr if it was already posted...

http://espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/24921/passing-out-some-saturday-awards

"Most determined to stay on the bubble no matter what: Virginia Tech, Marquette (tie). The aforementioned Hokies share something in common with Marquette: Both teams seem to love the bubble drama. Like Tech, Marquette looked ready to punch its tournament ticket after last week's win at Connecticut. Like Tech, Marquette promptly lost its final two games in conference play, the latest of which came in blowout fashion at Seton Hall Saturday afternoon. Yours truly happens to think Marquette's resume is probably enough to get it in the tournament, especially compared with the other ugly profiles littering the at-large landscape. But that prospect was no doubt damaged by this loss. You have to feel for fans of the Golden Eagles and the Hokies both: For yet another year, their teams seem determined to make their respective fans as nervous as possible on Selection Sunday."

romey

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
If we lose Tuesday, I don't know if we're still in, many of you have given strong arguments as to why we would be, so I won't get into that.  BUT, if we lose to Providence, we enter the Big dance on a three game slide, and depending on how we lose to Providence, I definitely fear that we have not shown anything in the last three games that would lead me to believe it will not be a one and done in the tournament.  So, perhaps we don't HAVE to win Tuesday, but we need a confidence booster and a little mojo to get back to where we need to be entering the dance!