Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Conflicting stories on McNeal...  (Read 7869 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Conflicting stories on McNeal...
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:07:50 PM »
Per ESPN...

MILWAUKEE -- Marquette guard Jerel McNeal will miss the first round of the NCAA Tournament because of an injured right thumb.

The sophomore has been sidelined for Marquette's last three games and won't play in the Golden Eagles' game against Michigan State on Thursday, associate athletic director Mike Broeker said Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2797567
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Conflicting stories on McNeal...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 08:10:17 PM »
Rosiak has changed his eralier posting...

TUESDAY, March 13, 2007, 3:57 p.m.
By Todd Rosiak

MU's McNeal out this weekend
Marquette will be without starting guard Jerel McNeal for this weekend's NCAA tournament games. coach Tom Crean confirmed this afternoon.

"There is now way he is going to be able to play," Crean said Tuesday afternoon. "I know he wants to play, but there is no way he can."

McNeal has been sidelined since suffering an injury to his right thumb in practice the day before the regular-season finale against Pittsburgh.

MU is holding out hope that McNeal might be ready if the Golden Eagles advance past the second round.

Marquette plays Michigan State at 6:20 p.m. Thursday in the first round of the tournament.

McNeal averaged 14.7 points for the Golden Eagles this season.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=3/13/2007&id=20538

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
This is ridiculous.

But let's be perfectly clear right now...if McNeal plays on Thursday after all these pronouncements from Crean, it will be a major problem for Marquette.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »
This is ridiculous.

But let's be perfectly clear right now...if McNeal plays on Thursday after all these pronouncements from Crean, it will be a major problem for Marquette.

and why is that?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Yea lets always look at the negative.  Why don't you at least wait until McNeal plays on Thursday before you say something like this.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:55 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Outside of the gambling community and his best friend, who has anything to say about it? This isn't the NFL. He is under no obligation to say anything.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:19:17 PM »
First of all, let's hope that Jerel's injury isn't serious and that he's to be able to play soon and get ready for next season.  Secondly, ESPN & MU is only saying he's out for Thursday.  While they may be witholding info, let's hope that if we win on Thursday, he's ready for Sat.  Talk about a huge boost for the time going into our biggest game of the season!!   :o
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »
Worst. News Releases. Ever.

Not sure where to point the finger.  Did Rosiak misunderstand what they were telling him?  Did MU prance around the verbiage so much, Todd didn't get the message?   Sigh.  Huddle up guys.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:55:58 PM »
clearly this is the biggest PR gaffe since Gold.   ::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 09:11:26 PM »
I noticed the conflicting stories too.  I found it strange after reading Rosiak and seeing on ESPN that he would be out for the tournament that Sportsline's story said he was out for the first round.  Then ESPN changed their Bottomline story to say he was out for Thursday, and Rosiak also changed his blog.  I guess there's hope if we make the Sweet Sixteen without him...or if you believe what Sportsline and ESPN are reporting there's hope if we win on Thursday.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 09:27:46 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Last I checked, this isn't the NFL where teams are required to give accurate injury reports (to satisfy gamblers, obviously). Crean is under no obligation to say anything, nor is he under any obligation to be The Amazing Kreskin in regards to a young man's thumb. If he's intentionally lying, I'm sure some would be upset. But I'd be stunned if he's trying to rope-a-dope a good friend like Tom Izzo.

But you've got me curious? What kind of trouble would Marquette be in, and from who? Are Vinnie and Rocco going to pay the Rev. Wild a visit for Tom Crean's messing with the spread?

(note: I apologize to anyone whose heritage I may have just offended)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:29:50 PM by Pakuni »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 09:31:56 PM »
I noticed the conflicting stories too.  I found it strange after reading Rosiak and seeing on ESPN that he would be out for the tournament that Sportsline's story said he was out for the first round.  Then ESPN changed their Bottomline story to say he was out for Thursday, and Rosiak also changed his blog.  I guess there's hope if we make the Sweet Sixteen without him...or if you believe what Sportsline and ESPN are reporting there's hope if we win on Thursday.

I'm not buying it. Rosiak would not have filed the initial report without several sources.  methinks he was 'convinved' to refile

PaintCrew93

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 09:45:35 PM »
enough with the mcneal injury.  We just gotta suck it up and get ready for MS.  who ever is able to play needs to bring it, because we are gonna need it.  I am picking us to to win a really tough slugfest with everybody involved from D james to Lott to getting a few 3's from kinsella to be able to win.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
People are really obsessed with this McNeal injury.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Right up there with who shot Kennedy.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 11:04:38 PM »
cant we get an updated picture of his thumb, so we can assess the situation.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 12:11:45 AM »
To add some more fuel to the fire, ESPN is reporting on College Game Night that if Marquette gets past Michigan State that they would "more than likely" get McNeal back for Saturday vs. UNC. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 06:44:58 AM »
well now that'd be motivation from a master motivator type (a la milk carton in the locker)... "come on guys - let's win this one so mcneal has a chance to play in the ncaa tourney he so richly deserves to be a part of!"
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »
To add some more fuel to the fire, ESPN is reporting on College Game Night that if Marquette gets past Michigan State that they would "more than likely" get McNeal back for Saturday vs. UNC. 

Well that certainly makes sense. If he could more than likely play Saturady, isn't it logical to assume he could possibly play 48 hours earlier? Why do I get the feeling Rosial's original report was the correct one?

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 08:00:03 AM »
cant we get an updated picture of his thumb, so we can assess the situation.

i heard that during the injury it went back and to the left, back and to the left. . . .

feedback