[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: how do we get vander and have no chance at koenig?  (Read 4481 times)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
how do we get vander and have no chance at koenig?
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
just wondering why marquette isn't at all in the mix for this guy from aquinas............... seems like basically an anthony pieper type ballplayer, we get the number 24 ranked guy to come here , vander, and we have ZERO chance for him at MU???? anybody know why he generated so much national interrest seemingly more than vander.????

this guy can play.........saw him look fantastic the other night in onalaska.

tower912

• All American
Re: how do we get vander and have no chance at koenig?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
He read some of your posts. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »
It's simple. One is traditional and the other is non-traditional. I think the million dollar question is who will have the better college career.....Koenig or Gasser?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
Didn't Christopherson go to the same school? That surely couldn't help us.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
While he's only a sophomore, Koenig has publicly stated that UNC is his dream school. Guess what? He's just been offered by his dream school. Now, you tell me what's logically likely to happen next.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
There was some ESPN Insider article recently, and he said something to the degree of Wisconsin, and UNC are the top 2 easily. Buzz is on him, but he isn't coming to MU.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:25 AM »
Are we all now drinking the UNC kool-aid?

This kid was only tangentially mentioned around here until last week.  At this point last year their was 10 times the discussion of Tokoto compared to Koenig.  He is still only ranked as a top 100 guy in his class (73 by ESPN, 16th best guard) and was being recruited by the likes of UW, MU and Virginia.  A nice player, ranked similar to Junior.

Then Roy Williams supposedly breaks the UNC rule of not offering sophomores and gives this kid an offer.  Now he's the second coming of Kirk Heinrich and we have lost the ability to recruit the state.

From what I read so far, he's sounds like a nice player.  He could be a starter, and lead scorer, for for Iowa State and lead them to an NIT bid, like SC is currently doing.  He could play at MU, probably start by his junior year.  I'm not buying this Kirk Heinrich stuff.  Why?  Because no one mentioned it before Roy offered last week.  The only reason everyone is talking about him in the last 10 days is the Roy offer, not what his perceived ability was before the offer.

History shows the most over-valued players are UNC/Duke players.  I have no doubt Koenig will shoot up the rankings because UNC offered.  But until I see him do it next year, and everyone (not just Roy) agrees this kid is the real deal, I will remain skeptical that he is more than a top 100 D1 player, something we already have 8 or 9 of on our team.

Lastly, Roy has two NCAA championships.  I understand that means many think he is the best at every and all aspects of the game.  Weather recruiting, designing players, or waxing the gym floor.  But, Roy has not shown an ability to pick diamonds in the rough.  Why?  He doesn't have to.  He can let the world tell him who the 10 best players are in the country and then go get three of them.  So, I'm also not buying that Roy has an extraordinary ability to spot talent when no one else said this kid was the next Heinrick before Roy offered.

Add:

I sense many of you think losing this kid means we lost our ability to recruit the state.  Did UNC/Duke lose their ability to recruit North Carolina when John Wall (from Charlotte) decided to go to Kentucky?  Possibly the best player from NC since MJ and he did not go to Duke or UNC!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:19:24 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:59 AM »
FYI -

In the same class we have offered Duane Wilson out of Dominican.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
Let me know when we've offered a point guard capable of starting in the BE.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
FYI -

In the same class we have offered Duane Wilson out of Dominican.

And he is ranked just a notch or two below Koenig.  More of an combo type than a pure point.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »

And he is ranked just a notch or two below Koenig.  More of an combo type than a pure point.

I'm sure he is a nice player, but with all these "switchables", we need a distributor.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:23 AM »
Add:

I sense many of you think losing this kid means we lost our ability to recruit the state.  Did UNC/Duke lose their ability to recruit North Carolina when John Wall (from Charlotte) decided to go to Kentucky?  Possibly the best player from NC since MJ and he did not go to Duke or UNC!

Please name names.  I don't see what posts are causing this 'sense'.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »
It would be interesting to learn how others feel about Buzz recruiting in state players--at least the top ones. It seems like he has been doing OK; but I guess an argument could be made that he isn't.

He did land Vander, but he may have been overrated. He did land Maymon, but that did not work out. Wilson has transferred to us, but we did not get him coming out of HS. It seems that we lose almost all the bigs from instate to Wisky. And now it appears that Tokoto and Koenig will be going out of state, with MU investing much effort on Tokoto.

What do others think about Buzz's in state recruiting?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
It seems that we lose almost all the bigs from instate to Wisky.

Since Buzz ... who?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
Please name names.  I don't see what posts are causing this 'sense'.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24673.0

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
I think Buzz is an excellent recruiter.  There are not too many, athletic "bigs", in Wisconsin.  Hopefully, he will land one or two "bigs" this year.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
It would be interesting to learn how others feel about Buzz recruiting in state players--at least the top ones. It seems like he has been doing OK; but I guess an argument could be made that he isn't.

He did land Vander, but he may have been overrated. He did land Maymon, but that did not work out. Wilson has transferred to us, but we did not get him coming out of HS. It seems that we lose almost all the bigs from instate to Wisky. And now it appears that Tokoto and Koenig will be going out of state, with MU investing much effort on Tokoto.

So it's bad that we got Maymon right out of highschool because he transferred away AND it's bad we got Wilson because he transffered to us. Don't mind that he got a free extra year to develop and will contribute more to our team than he would have if he had come freshman year.

We got Vander Maymon and Wilson. Wilson and Vander are still here and ooze raw athletic NBA potential and it is my guess they will both start for the next three years. I call that a success.

Where I think buzz is recruiting poorly is Chicago. He really needs to get a pipeline established and pull in some big recruits from there.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24673.0

Thanks for the link to a 4 page thread but it wasn't much help.  I only read page 1 before giving up.  Nothing there (possibly Avid's post) and I didn't want to spend the next 20 minutes trying to figure out what you were talking about.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »

It's fine...he's gotten Maymon (mistake), Blue and Wilson.  Ryan has gotten Evan Anderson (who slipped in the rankings completely) and Gasser (who he kind of fell into after Blue decommitted...but IMO is much better than most felt he would be.)

During Buzz's time, no top rated prospect that Buzz has wanted has left the state.  (Except Wilson.)

And losing out to North Carolina isn't the worst thing in the world.  It happens all of the time across the country.  I would be more worried if we started losing in-state recruits that we want to places like Purdue or Illinois.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »
You also realize that Koenig has been described as a Combo guard.  Let's face it, any player on a high school team that is worthy of a D1 High Major scholarship is going to be a main player on their team and going to score a lot of points.  Hence they are going to show up as a combo guard.  If the choice came down to Koenig or Wilson, I would be just as happy with either.

Who knows at this point they are sophomores.  We may end up getting the chance to seem them play eachother.  Both are on D3 teams right now, Duane plays for the #5 ranked Dominican team, and Bronson for the the #1 Aquinas team.  Dominican has beaten the #2 ranked St. Cat's team twice this year, so they must be doing something right.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:22:12 PM by Strokin 3s »

feedback