[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit  (Read 22637 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
From UNC site....

Re: Koenig who was offered a schollie Friday by Roy who broke his own rule about not offering until after sophomore year.....

"@EvanDanielscout
Evan Daniels
Bronson Koenig was offered a scholarship from North Carolina. Just got off the phone with Ritchie Davis."

"Just as I saw Evan's tweet...I got text from Koenig confirming

he also said that watching UNC practice was "awesome" & that he got to shoot with Harrison & Reggie after

another quote "he is a great guy..wow" (RE: Roy)"

Re: Tokoto

"Sunday, 11:30am -- Just talked to Trevor Trimble -- Tokoto's father. They are planning to stay until Tuesday. Trevor wanted JP to experience college life and be on campus while class was in session.

He said they had a great time at the game. They were able to see the new offices and a bunch of other stuff. They have family in town as well.

Take from that what you'd like but sounds like Roy might snag a pair from Wisconsin....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:38:01 PM by texaswarrior74 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »
Good for them, they should stay a few extra days and take it all in.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if one or both commits to UNC. Wouldn't blame them one bit.  Wishing them the best.   I found out my wife was pregnant with our first child when I was on the UNC campus...got the call from her.  Special place for me.  Great campus, beautiful part of the country, unbelievable tradition and fans that are psycho for hoops.

Good luck to them both.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:11:19 PM »
Think of all those students who have experienced conception in the Dean Dome. Now that's what I call a special place. Carolina In My Mind just popped up on my IPod.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:31:13 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »
So why did UNC change their rule about offering sophomores?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
Maybe 'cause Koenig's the best traditional lead guard Roy's ever laid eyes on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
Maybe 'cause Koenig's the best traditional lead guard Roy's ever laid eyes on.

ESPN has him ranked 73rd overall and the 16th best guard in his class.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/116312/bronson-koenig

I'm guessing here but I think Roy has tried to recruit players better than 73rd before and did not need to break his June 15 rule.

Or, now that Koenig has been offered by Roy, will all the services now move him to #1?

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
Roy says he reminds him of Kirk Hinrich.....and thinks his upside is  enormous.

Wants in before he blows up.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
Good for them, they should stay a few extra days and take it all in.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if one or both commits to UNC. Wouldn't blame them one bit.  Wishing them the best.   I found out my wife was pregnant with our first child when I was on the UNC campus...got the call from her.  Special place for me.  Great campus, beautiful part of the country, unbelievable tradition and fans that are psycho for hoops.

Good luck to them both.

Impressive to see that type of talent come from WI.  Wish it would come to MU, but I certainly don't blame them.  If their NBA talent (and that's what their goal has got to be) I think you go to UNC and figure if you can't get minutes, you're not playing at the next level anyhow. 

I never really liked the UNC campus, thought it was pretty spread out.  They do offer amazing opportunites to in-state students.  It's a very affordable college education. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:06:50 PM »
Think of all those students who have experienced conception in the Dean Dome. Now that's what I call a special place. Carolina In My Mind just popped up on my IPod.
Aren't "Dean Domes" a brand of condom out there?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »
Rican, yes they're similar to the French tickler ribbed version that was popular when we were kids except in Carolina they are tobacco scented. BTW, in Indiana, the same raincoats are as known as Crean Domes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:36:59 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
"I never really liked the UNC campus, thought it was pretty spread out...."

Man, I hope you're kidding.....Chapel Hill and UNC are practically the quintessential college town/campus.....it's a huge campus but really laid out well and really beautiful.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
in Indiana, the same raincoats are as known as Crean Domes.

Wrong. Crean Crammers is the official nomenclature

Eye

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
Rumor around these parts is that Coach K might be at the Aquinas (#1 D3 Koenig) at Onalaska (#1 D2) game Monday. Onalaska's got a pretty good sophomore guard, too, Matt Thomas, who's had to take over as a leader of sorts now that Onalaska has lost its best two big guys. Thomas getting some mid-major looks (Creighton, Northern Iowa) so far, but he's a guy I'd like to see MU get involved on. His older brother was one of those two good big guys and hit a growth spurt in high school to get to 6-6. Thomas grew from 5-9 last year to 6-1/6-2 this year, and maybe the potential to grow more based on his brother.

GO WARRIORS!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:42 PM »
If their NBA talent (and that's what their goal has got to be) I think you go to UNC and figure if you can't get minutes, you're not playing at the next level anyhow. 

I think there are plenty of guys who didn't (or couldn't, meaning they weren't recruited by) play at UNC that not only make it to but succeed in the NBA. Including some MU guys.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
Rumor around these parts is that Coach K might be at the Aquinas (#1 D3 Koenig) at Onalaska (#1 D2) game Monday. Onalaska's got a pretty good sophomore guard, too, Matt Thomas, who's had to take over as a leader of sorts now that Onalaska has lost its best two big guys. Thomas getting some mid-major looks (Creighton, Northern Iowa) so far, but he's a guy I'd like to see MU get involved on. His older brother was one of those two good big guys and hit a growth spurt in high school to get to 6-6. Thomas grew from 5-9 last year to 6-1/6-2 this year, and maybe the potential to grow more based on his brother.

That's being reported on TDD, the Duke board, as well. 

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:06:58 AM »
I have no reason for thinking this beyond a gut feeling, by i see Koenig choosing Wisconsin and Tokoto shunning both state schools for one of the national powers recruiting him.

I wouldn't blame Tokoto at all either. If he chooses Wisconsin or Marquette, many in the fan bases of both programs are going to have massive expectations for him right off the bat, that's lots of pressure. If he struggles as a freshman or even is just solid, many of those fans will likely start wondering what's going wrong. Questioning if he was overrated.

At an elite program like say North Carolina or Kansas though, he'd not only be just one of other upper tier recruits on the roster, he won't have tons of their fans expecting him to be fabulous the minute he steps on the court. With as much strength as he needs to put on and a skillset that does need refining, not having to be "the man" on campus could save J.P. some angst is his development isn't immediate.

Obviously i hope i'm wrong though. I'd love to see him first on Marquette, but if not, Wisconsin next. Unlike many here who are a Marquette student currently or a Marquette alum and thus they hate Wisconsin, i'm simply a fan of all college teams in the state, but specifically MU and UW. I just cheer a bit more for Marquette because i live in Milwaukee.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:50 AM »
Carolina would be a strong favorite for Koenig at this point. Everyone else is a distant second.
GO WARRIORS!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
I have no reason for thinking this beyond a gut feeling, by i see Koenig choosing Wisconsin and Tokoto shunning both state schools for one of the national powers recruiting him.

Let me ask an uncomfortable question ... what do you base your "gut feeling" on that Koenig will choose UW?  Is it that white kids from Wisconsin choose UW?  Is it a race thing?  White kids no longer go to MU?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
Why is it that everybody coceded Carolina for these ywo? Why cabn't we land them? Why is this a forgone conclusion? What about Buzz's prowess as a recruiter?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »
Multiple legit "insiders" on the UNC premium boards are saying it's a done deal with Tokoto....he extended his stay until Tuesday to be able to attend classes and see the campus with normal day-to-day activity....they're expecting an announcement relatively "soon."

UNC has always been Koenig's "dream school"...they offered...he had a great time visiting and shooting around with current freshmen who would still be there when he arrived....they are the team to beat right now...

Oh and it's 75 and sunny there.....

groove

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:40 AM »
Multiple legit "insiders" on the UNC premium boards are saying it's a done deal with Tokoto....he extended his stay until Tuesday to be able to attend classes and see the campus with normal day-to-day activity....they're expecting an announcement relatively "soon."

UNC has always been Koenig's "dream school"...they offered...he had a great time visiting and shooting around with current freshmen who would still be there when he arrived....they are the team to beat right now...

Oh and it's 75 and sunny there.....

The weekend weather was incredible here. great weekend.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
Why is it that everybody coceded Carolina for these ywo? Why cabn't we land them? Why is this a forgone conclusion? What about Buzz's prowess as a recruiter?

Until MU becomes a program with the stature of a North Carolina - it will always be difficult to win head to head battles against North Carolina.  Sounds like Tokoto and Koenig could become Top 40 type players - MU has never had a legacy of landing Top 40 players.  Pretty sure North Carolina has.

But Willie - What coach out there can reverse this trend for MU?  How can MU hire a coach that can all of a sudden win recruiting battles against the UNC's, Dukes, Kansas's?  Perahps Al McGuire can be reincarnated?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
Roy says he reminds him of Kirk Hinrich.....and thinks his upside is  enormous.

Wants in before he blows up.

I thought coaches weren't allowed to talk about recruits until after a LOI..

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »
I thought coaches weren't allowed to talk about recruits until after a LOI..

According to Koenig this is what Roy said to him when he met with him and his parents Friday night....you can understand why Koenig was excited given that comparison...and the fact that Roy broke his own rule to extend the offer....

Roy didn't say it in public....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:58:48 AM by texaswarrior74 »

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
Until MU becomes a program with the stature of a North Carolina - it will always be difficult to win head to head battles against North Carolina.

Sooo, never. MU will never be UNC. Best MU can do is be a consistent winner in the BEast (expectations for the program to always be in the top echelon of the conference). If they do that, we'll always have a shot of landing a few top players, but we'll never have the name/brand of UNC. No harm in that, just won't ever happen. It's like college football. The big names will always be the big names. Flashes in the pan may come along, but there's usually an 'order' to things.

feedback