'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does Junior Cadougan bring to the court, especially on offense?  (Read 13668 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I watch and I watch yet I struggle to determine Junior Cadougan’s strengths. What are they?

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Re: What does Junior Cadougan bring to the court, especially on offense?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:02:37 PM »
dribble penetration......finds the open man.....makes good decisions in passing the ball.....high assist to turnover ratio.....oh, and he also brings his heart.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
All of that and heart, too?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 08:06:44 PM »
dribble penetration......finds the open man.....makes good decisions in passing the ball.....high assist to turnover ratio.....oh, and he also brings his heart.

Wow, how have I missed that Junior Cadougan brings so much to the court, including heart?

I am not sure how one determines “heart,” but I am not seeing the rest of it, murobrob.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
I watch and I watch yet I struggle to determine Junior Cadougan’s strengths. What are they?

Do you actually watch the games?

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
I respect your opinion MU Ave.....he has not been an offensive juggernaut.   But, I have seen a lot of progress this season and trust the dude at pg running the offense.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
He has more game than Vander right now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
Best ball distributor on the team--no comparison.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
He has more game than Vander right now.

+1

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
He's a good backup point guard, and slowly improving. 

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
There were already two topics about Cadougan's game on the first page of topics... or was this just intended as a dig at him? ?-(

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »
Junior had a solid game tonight.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dienerfor3

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
Junior is an asset to the team when he is on the floor. I'm not sure how you've been missing that

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »
How can you miss JC's contributions tonight?

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
A lot of unsubstantiated support here for Junior Cadougan
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
How can you miss JC's contributions tonight?

Many here are doing the expected by providing a lot of unsubstantiated support -- and applause -- for Junior Cadougan.

Please be very specific about his strengths, because all I see is an inconsistent-but-OK basketball player who seems almost incapable of scoring.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
He creates shots for others, he attacks the basket and makes layups, and he makes free throws...now. He also can't make a shot from the field other than a layup. And he has gotten better as the season has progressed.

chren21

• All American
Re: A lot of unsubstantiated support here for Junior Cadougan
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
Many here are doing the expected by providing a lot of unsubstantiated support -- and applause -- for Junior Cadougan.

Please be very specific about his strengths, because all I see is an inconsistent-but-OK basketball player who seems almost incapable of scoring.

I dont think anyone is saying he is a god... He has improved considerably though.  Agree with WarriorH

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
I wish we had Acker.  Or Mbakwe.  Ackwe.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
The question remains
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 07:04:08 AM »
What does Junior Cadougan bring to the court, especially on offense?

What happens between high school and college that players such as Cadougan become so anemic?

I know there are many here who insist that Cadougan brings much to the court. I still struggle to see any of it.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
Re: The question remains
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:49 AM »
What happens between high school and college that players such as Cadougan become so anemic?
MU Ave- I ask this question all the time...and it is absolutely is a fair question. I believe in HS, Junior was the type of PG that ALWAYS had the ball in his hands. He was quite a bit bigger/stronger than a lot of other PGs (a little 'overweight' perhaps) but really used that to his advantage in HS. He used his body so well to shield defenders and get to the hoop against seemingly smaller/weaker guards (Off Topic- but if you were at Midnight Madness he also did this to Reggie Smith the entire night during the scrimmage). The BE is much different...as he is finding out...getting blocked, tougher to finish in the lane, etc. As far as your question about HS to college....I have kind of thought the same thing regarding Junior too. I think the answer is that the learning curve is different for everyone - and i dont mean this as an 'easy way out'. It has been hard for Junior b/c he isnt the biggest/fastest PG out there anymore.

I think Junior is a good back-up point guard this year. He can come in provide a spark. At times he looks a little shaky with the ball...but I think that will continue to come with his confidence. He is 100% improved from the beginning of the year and I think he is only going to get better (not proclaiming him to be a NBA pick) and become a good D-1 point guard.

Offensively, I'll admit, at times he can be a liability as far as scoring goes. But do we honestly think Buzz doesnt know that? But if we get Junior in the game with scorers like Crowder/DJO/Butler...theres no doubt he will find them...and he will deliver the ball in a way to help them score.

Side Note- I do think that we tend to look our "worst" offensively when Blue and Junior are both in the game at the same time...at least at this point in their careers.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:44 AM »

I know there are many here who insist that Cadougan brings much to the court. I still struggle to see any of it.
Do you really not understand the difference in maturity and talent between high school and college basketball?  He's playing against MEN now.  If anything "happened" to him it's that he's returning from a devastating, potentially career-ending injury that has slowed his development.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
My recollection is that we made our biggest run in the second half with blue and junior on the floor. Junior has improved to a solid backup PG. Much better than Mo was at this point. He will be a solid starter the next two years.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:42:29 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 08:39:16 AM »
Junior has excellent court vision, which is the best thing he brings to the court.  He is an OK defender, he anticipates well and can harrass a bit and get in the passing lanes.

His deficiencies are shooting and lateral quickness.  The first can be fixed, not so sure about the second.  Levance Fields was a very nice player with those deficiencies, though he was physically much, much stronger than Junior. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »

So, you're just going to continue to repeat the question? There've been multiple responses to your repeated question, yet that is not enough for you. He brings multiple things aside from scoring. If, to you, scoring is the only thing that is required for being a good offensive player, then you are right, Junior, to you, is and will be a terrible offensive player. If you keep searching for what he brings to the game offensively and keep coming back to the ppg category, then yes, you will be underwhelmed.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: All of that and heart, too?
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
Wow, how have I missed that Junior Cadougan brings so much to the court, including heart?

I am not sure how one determines “heart,” but I am not seeing the rest of it, murobrob.
You're a buffoon. Junior had a great game last night.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 08:54:47 AM »
I wish we had Acker.  Or Mbakwe.  Ackwe.

I wish we had Mo Lucas, Butch Lee, Doc Rivers, Tony Smith, Jim Mac, Wade and Novak.

feedback