[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?  (Read 26990 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:51 PM »
He had 21 points tonight as a freshman for Becky.  He's a point guard and had some offers from high major programs (Maryland, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Northwestern, SLU) but most were from the next stop down (Bucknell, UWM, etc).  Played in our backyard but doesn't look like we even offered (at least the recruiting sites don't suggest we did).

What was the scoop there?

mviale

• All American
Re: Josh Gasser....what was the MU recruiting deal with this kid?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »
Gardner or Gasser?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »
...and you would rather have him than........?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
Dont know...dont care.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
Read your own post. It answers the question.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »
How did Evan Anderson look? doh

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:44:15 PM »
How did Evan Anderson look? doh

I know this may come as a surprise to everyone here, but Anderson is redshirting this year. Shocking, I know.

thebadge10

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
Josh Gasser is a stud!  21 points 9 rebounds and 0 turnovers.  Any top 25 program would love to have him.  Way better than anybody thought, including Bo!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
Sure blew open a tight 1st half against prairie view. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
Late bloomer. Wasn't really offered by uw until late. Was actually going to walk on I believe. They didn't offer until blue came here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
Well, many posts in and no one really answered it.  I'm guessing it was because he was deemed not athletic enough for Buzz's style of play???  I don't know, that's why I put the question out there. Very intelligent kid, nice ball player, good outside shooter. 

It's obvious Buzz likes athletic players, slashers, etc....I wonder if down the road he will recruit one or two "traditional" basketball players that are more of your spot up and shoot type players...like Gasser.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
Well, many posts in and no one really answered it.  I'm guessing it was because he was deemed not athletic enough for Buzz's style of play???  I don't know, that's why I put the question out there. Very intelligent kid, nice ball player, good outside shooter. 

It's obvious Buzz likes athletic players, slashers, etc....I wonder if down the road he will recruit one or two "traditional" basketball players that are more of your spot up and shoot type players...like Gasser.

Like Jamail Jones?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »

Wow. "Traditional", non athletic, spot up shooters? Sounds "code word" to me, and I'm sure we're (thankfully) waaaaay past that. I think Buzz prefers "non traditional" players who can spot up shoot AND slash (think DJO).

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
And the witch hunt continues....anything we can possibly find to indict or call into question the current coaching staff.  Priceless.

Anyway, we'll get to see how Gasser fares against MU's guards.  I look forward to Vander matching up with Gasser.  Considering Gasser got state player of the year...I like Vander's motivation to completely shut him down..and expect that he will.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »

What on earth does your second paragraph mean?  Please explain exactly what a "traditional" basketball player is.

DJO
Jones
Michael Snaer

Just a few of the many guys Buzz has recruited who I would consider to be excellent spot-up shooters.  I'm sure GOMU1104 or BMA could provide more detail on some of the other players Buzz has went after who were that type of player.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Impressive debut, let's see what the dude does vs tOSU, MSU, or even MU. In all honesty, I haven't seen the cat ball. Maybe he's a white DWade or maybe he's more like SC. I'm not for sure.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
Wow. "Traditional", non athletic, spot up shooters? Sounds "code word" to me, and I'm sure we're (thankfully) waaaaay past that. I think Buzz prefers "non traditional" players who can spot up shoot AND slash (think DJO).

+1

Why didn't you just say you wanted us to recruit more white guys?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
Josh Gasser is a stud!  21 points 9 rebounds and 0 turnovers.  Any top 25 program would love to have him.  Way better than anybody thought, including Bo!

I'll let Coach K know he messed that one up

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
What on earth does your second paragraph mean?  Please explain exactly what a "traditional" basketball player is.

DJO
Jones
Michael Snaer

Just a few of the many guys Buzz has recruited who I would consider to be excellent spot-up shooters.  I'm sure GOMU1104 or BMA could provide more detail on some of the other players Buzz has went after who were that type of player.

Off the top of my head, Buzz was on Jamel Jackson (Seton Hall) for a bit after he got his academics figured out...a definite spot up shooter. One game last year he was something like 13 for 16 from deep, something ridiculous like that.

Also, DeAngelo Harrison (St. Johns commit) is every bit the spot up shooter...some might call him a chucker. MU was in his final 3.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:44:07 PM by GOMU1104 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
And the witch hunt continues....anything we can possibly find to indict or call into question the current coaching staff.  Priceless.

Anyway, we'll get to see how Gasser fares against MU's guards.  I look forward to Vander matching up with Gasser.  Considering Gasser got state player of the year...I like Vander's motivation to completely shut him down..and expect that he will.

Ya sure that wasn't TJ Bray?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
Are we even sure Gasser is a "traditional" player as you say? He was 2 of 4 on 3 pointers, but also went to the line to shoot 10 free throws. So sounds like he does some attacking the basket. Buycks went 3-3 from 3 and went to the line for 6 fts. Is Gasser that much more "traditional" than Buycks?

I have never seen Gasser play, but I've heard he is very good. I think the Badgers were offering him a 5 for 4 deal or something like that where he would start as a walk-on and get the scholarship the following year until Blue decommitted and Diamond Taylor was kicked off the team, then he was offered a scholarship right away and was made a higher priority. I could be wrong, but that's what I gathered reading their board. Like others have said, I will be interested to see how he does against better teams, but if he has a good freshman year, they will be very tough again.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
Gasser came to Marquette for an unofficial visit(s) over the summer, but I'm not sure if he was ever interested in going to Marquette. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
How's that big, white dude from Catholic Memorial doin' who folks wanted Buzz to offer? Man, all the Einsteins on this board wanted Mills instead of Gardner.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:50:20 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »

Ya sure that wasn't TJ Bray?

Maybe it was Bray - Player of year in Wisconsin last year??  I'm sure someone can clarify - either way..I look forward to Vander d'ing up Gasser.  Could be a great match up for the next few years to come.  But..I'm gonna have to put my money on Vander to win that battle.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »
Bray was Mr. Basketball in 2009, given out by the WBCA.

Gasser was the Gatorade Player of the Year in 2009.

feedback