[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DeCourcy on BE- Calls out MU  (Read 25818 times)

MUfan12

• All American
DeCourcy on BE- Calls out MU
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-11/big-east-expansion/story/big-east-football-plan-does-marquette-dirty#subnav

I want to be pissed about this, but he might have a point. My problem with this whole situation, as others have said, is Seton Hall and Providence aren't stepping up to the plate financially but are getting no scrutiny. PC I can understand, since the offices are there.

GGGG

• All American
Re: DeCourcy on BE- Calls out MU
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
The headline is a little jarring, but the meat of the story is essentially correct.  The BE's alligence to basketball has been a problem for its development as a football conference for 20+ years.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
The Big East can have the best of both worlds but need to be proactive and selective about expansion.  I'd target a Florida or Texas strategy.  Maybe both.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
Could the other 14 schools get together and boot out Marquette and Depaul for this reason? I know its somewhat far fetched, but do the big east by-laws prevent this?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
The only answer left is to add football.

As I have previously stated, my understanding is that it will only cost $13.74 to get the program up and running.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
The only answer left is to add football.

As I have previously stated, my understanding is that it will only cost $13.74 to get the program up and running.

Cool. I'm in. Pencil me down for $1.53, which is what I have in my pocket in change right now. Just another $12.21 and we've got a football program!

...and I suggest pencil because I may spend that money at the vending machine later.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
This is not good news.  If we are doing all the right things and still getting articles like this, then there is not much we can do.  

If they do kick out 2 bball only schools, will they go with tradition and boot MU and DePaul, or will they go with winning and the chance at the Chicago market and kick out PC and SH.  GTown and St. John's sound safe based on the NY/DC market, tradition, and winning.  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
I think the point of the article is that MU has been too successful to throw out.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »
I think the point of the article is that football rules, basketball success be damned.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
I think the point of the article is that MU has been too successful to throw out.

+1.  Otherwise, DeCourcy would have picked on DePaul... a much easier target.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
This is not good news.  If we are doing all the right things and still getting articles like this, then there is not much we can do.

That was my gut reaction at first as well. It can't help recruiting, that's for sure.

I think the point of the article is that football rules, basketball success be damned.

I hate that it comes down to that, but it's true. Disappointing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »

That's exactly right.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
I've got to believe once MU and DePaul signed in they became just as hard to throw out as an original member.  With that in mind I can't imagine that MU would be any more of a target than say Providence.  If anyone is asked to leave (and I doubt that in the first place as from a money standpoint more is almost always better) it will probably be the cold calculus of which BB only schools bring in the least money for BE, which enhance BE the least in tv revenue and tv market reach and which have the least likelihood of getting better based on program investment.  Based on those parameters we are currently towards the top of that list, not towards the bottom.  Short of all BB only schools being cut loose I wouldn't be too concerned.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
Kick out PC and Seton Hall.

I don't think anyone is going to get the boot anyways.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »

I can see where you're going, but I think it would be better if it read:

"I think the point of the article is that football the BCS rules, basketball success NCAA be damned."

So how soon before the NCAA wises up and kick the BCS to the curb?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 12:11:26 PM »
Nothing is going to happen for another year or two so just relax so all we can do is relax and enjoy the season

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
Marquette fans calling for Providence to go is like Sonny Corleone trying to kick Vito out of the family. Politically, they are a giant fish in the Big East. We'd have a better bet of seeing DePaul and Seton Hall go, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing either. If DePaul leaves, it puts Marquette on an island with a relatively small television market.

I'd say that along with SHU and DePaul we are most vulnerable, but my gut says if DePaul goes, we go with them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 12:19:29 PM »

No. Marquette wil get tossed at some point, along with DePaul, for the sake of football. football is the engine in big time college sports.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
No. Marquette wil get tossed at some point, along with DePaul, for the sake of football. football is the engine in big time college sports.

Correct.  Basketball revenue is a tiny drop in the ocean.  Yes, the NCAA tournament money is huge, but it's spent on ALL sports and not just on basketball.  Football is king.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »
Marquette fans calling for Providence to go is like Sonny Corleone trying to kick Vito out of the family.

Providence= Fredo.  Fredo was older and should have had more political power but got passed up by Michael.  

Times change.  MU/DePaul is a bigger money maker in the long run.  Chicago would embrace DePaul if they started winning and this recent MU renaissance in hoops helps us too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
Providence= Fredo.  Fredo was older and should have had more political power but got passed up by Michael.  

Times change.  MU/DePaul is a bigger money maker in the long run.  Chicago would embrace DePaul if they started winning and this recent MU renaissance in hoops helps us too.

The thing with Chicago is that it's more than just the DMA size, which is obviously huge, but the recruiting angle.  The other schools want DePaul for the recruiting base.  They can come in there and say we're playing in Chicago and Milwaukee every year, plus Notre Dame just up the road.  The television eyeballs in Chicago that give a damn about DePaul is super low right now.  The recruiting base is a gold mine, potentially, for the conference.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »

This.

Knowing we'd be kicked out eventually we should have just packed it up after Crean departed and sucked hard like DePaul. A lot less stressful.

But we hired Buzz and now we'll elevate our winning and it will be more excruciating when they drop us.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
The thing with Chicago is that it's more than just the DMA size, which is obviously huge, but the recruiting angle.  The other schools want DePaul for the recruiting base.  They can come in there and say we're playing in Chicago and Milwaukee every year, plus Notre Dame just up the road.  The television eyeballs in Chicago that give a damn about DePaul is super low right now.  The recruiting base is a gold mine, potentially, for the conference.

I never thought about that form a recruiting perspective.  That is a very good point.

I think that rating/attendance would go up with DePaul's improvement.  Chicago will wake up and support and any winner, and many fans will stay loyal through tough times once they are hooked. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
This.

Knowing we'd be kicked out eventually we should have just packed it up after Crean departed and sucked hard like DePaul. A lot less stressful.

But we hired Buzz and now we'll elevate our winning and it will be more excruciating when they drop us.

Yep. That is the way it goes. It will be tough but with some planning we can be ok. It will not be terrible if we can position ourselves into a quality hoops league.

The Maestro

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
No one has mentioned Notre Dame in all this yet. They're obviously a huge part in an expansion discussion, be it Big East or Big Ten.