MUScoop > Hangin' at the Al
Maurice Lucas 1952-2010
<< < (7/8) > >>
NYWarrior:
Charlie Pierce!

http://bit.ly/a0OPiV
dgies9156:

--- Quote from: nyg on October 31, 2010, 10:11:20 PM ---Very sad and where does time go.  The epitome of a true man and a power forward beast.  Opposing players used to stay away from his presence on the court and I never saw him smile when playing.  He was all business, very intimidating and could back it up.  He is now sitting next to AL on the heavenly bench.

RIP Luke and thanks for the memories.

--- End quote ---

Since when did Al or Maurice Lucas ever "sit" on a bench?

OK, if Lucas fouled out, maybe!

To the comment that he was among the most underrated Warriors ever, NO WAY! Maurice was simply among the best Warriors ever. If I had to pick an all-time starting five, there's no way I'd pick a team without Maurice Lucas. Personally, I'd pick Maurice Lucas before I'd pick that "other guy" who played in 2003. I saw them both extensively and while I love D-Wade, Maurice was truly special.

Maurice -- you were the best.

HoopsMalone:
Very nice words from Crean:  http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/remembering_maurice_lucas_tom.html

4everwarriors:
I have several Maurice stories and memories. Luke was 1 of 4 on my Individual and Dual Sports class bowling team. One of the others was George "Sugar" Frazier. Neither had bowled much before and with George, it was obvious. Lucas, on the other hand, while he didn't have proper form or even the steps down pat, would knock the pins over consistently. First game he ever bowled in class was around 160.
While I don't exactly remember the facts, Maurice was drafted by both the Bulls and the St. Louis Spirits. I remember him returning briefly to MU and ready to challenge his loss of college eligibility while unhappy with his draft slot with the Bulls. Saw him on the 14th St. mall and talked for a while. He asked if he could stay at my place for a while until he found his own pad, but he never did. Went off to the Spirits soon thereafter.
Met his mother at a NCAA Tournament game one year. I believe she was a school principal.
Also heard the story, urban legend or not, of the time he held the floor nerd by the ankles out of a McCormick Hall window.
I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, #20 was the ultimate Warrior.

Marqevans:

--- Quote from: bilsu on November 01, 2010, 08:38:32 AM ---I was a freshmen the same year he was. He was in the last class that freshmen were not allowed to play. He was on the freshmen team when Chones jumped ship. There was some wishful thinking that the NCAA would allow him to replace Chones as it was already expected that freshmen would be allowed to play the next year. Two years later Ellis was a freshmen. I still can remember saying after the first game I saw Ellis play "I cannot believe it Ellis is better than Lucas". What a tandem junior Lucas and freshmen Ellis made. They lost in 1974 champioship game.

--- End quote ---

I was a freshman that year also.  Watching him play in those freshmen games was a joke!In my opinion he was the most dominant Marquette player to ever wear the uniform. That Wisconsin game that he hit the winning shot was one of the most exciting Marquette games ever.  Rest in peace Luke!
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version