Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My son was just threatened with ejection from the game......  (Read 58172 times)

pitz

My son was just threatened with ejection from the game......
« on: March 02, 2007, 12:44:09 PM »
if he wears the Warriors headress that he has been wearing to the games since the Rutgers game.
He sits in the front row and Jim McMahon VP of residence life or something like that called him into his office and told him that if he wears it for Game day or the game tomorrow it will be confiscated and he will most likely be ejected.  He told him that we need to be sensitive to Native American feelings.
Quite ironic since tomorrow we are honoring the 77 WARRIORS !!!!!!!!!

>:(

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: My son was just threatened with ejection from the game......
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »
Hmm...
Here's the guy's contact info:
McMahon, Dr. James (Jim)
(414) 288-7208
Assistant Vice President/Dean
Residence Life
M. Carpenter Tower 203
james.mcmahon@marquette.edu

Could start an e-mail/phone electro/tele-thon on this to let him know how strong-arm tactics are viewed by the Marquette community as a whole.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
McMahon's a good guy.  I had a few run-ins during college and he was reasonable.

Don't think for a second that this is his call.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »
The only reason they're saying it now is because it's Gameday coming in, although that still doesn't excuse the threat.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »
Jim Mac Mahon ,name sounds familiar . Did he play ball for MU and graduate in the mid '70's . Is he from NY?

State

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
if he wears the Warriors headress that he has been wearing to the games since the Rutgers game.
He sits in the front row and Jim McMahon VP of residence life or something like that called him into his office and told him that if he wears it for Game day or the game tomorrow it will be confiscated and he will most likely be ejected.  He told him that we need to be sensitive to Native American feelings.
Quite ironic since tomorrow we are honoring the 77 WARRIORS !!!!!!!!!

>:(

I applaud McMahon's decision...unfortunate Jim has to make these types of  decision...whatever happened to parenting??

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:10:14 PM »
He would do that too. I doubt it's just a threat, unless there is unwaivering support against him, which there will be in this case, he carries through w/ his actions. Very monotone guy that could put you to sleep if ya have to listen to him too long but he carries through with what he says most of the time.

Wow State, you gotta be kidding me.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 01:12:13 PM »
Why would Native Americans find a headdress offensive? What a joke!!! I would like to see the crowd's reaction if they openly ejected an individual for wearing Warriors gear.

I wonder if the Dutch are offended by wooden shoes.

Incidentally, I've seen your son and commented on it to several guests. That's a great look!  

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »
I'm part Irish and that ND caricature and belligerent stereotype of their mascot offends me.   

stop the madness

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
I applaud McMahon's decision...unfortunate Jim has to make these types of  decision...whatever happened to parenting??

Whatever happened to parenting? Somebody should put State over their knee!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »
Well, if your son wants to be famous, he should do it anyhow.  Make sure he's got a friend taping the ejection, and presto, hello news coverage.  

Where does it stop?  A feather in his cap?  Moccasins?

It is safe to assume MU officials are now reading this thread.

Gentlemen:  Do as you must, but in one hand, you've got an enthusiastic fan doing little (if any) harm.  In the other, a big public relations pie in the face. 

Choose wisely.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »
Excellent point, NY.  I'm Irish too, and I hate the stereotypes.  Every time I hear/see them, it makes me want to get drunk and punch somebody!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »
During the "pick a winner" section of the GameDay show, I'd love to see Digger Phelps don a headdress (a la Lee Corso) and pick Marquette. I would LOVE IT!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 01:27:09 PM »
Excellent point, NY.  I'm Irish too, and I hate the stereotypes.  Every time I hear/see them, it makes me want to get drunk and punch somebody!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »

Could start an e-mail/phone electro/tele-thon on this to let him know how strong-arm tactics are viewed by the Marquette community as a whole.

The Marquette community "as a whole" is not in disagreement with the university on this one. Telling a student in advance that if they chose to do something that has been repeatedly stated as being contrary to the university's mission will result in him "likely" being ejected from the game is the farthest thing from "strong arm tactics." Considering MU's public stance on the Native American imagery issue, this is utterly reasonably.

I agree with the university. Wearing the headress would be pretty embarassing.
We Are Marquette

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »
x
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:56:20 AM by drewm88 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:45:51 PM »

That is total BS. Embarrassing for what/whom? I think it would be great -- and I hope he chooses to wear it.

If the 77 team is shown during the telecast, would it be "embarrassing" for one of them to discuss the nickname?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »

The Marquette community "as a whole" is not in disagreement with the university on this one. Telling a student in advance that if they chose to do something that has been repeatedly stated as being contrary to the university's mission will result in him "likely" being ejected from the game is the farthest thing from "strong arm tactics." Considering MU's public stance on the Native American imagery issue, this is utterly reasonably.

Note - I purposely did not take a side in my post as I am undecided about whether the headdress is appropriate as well.  I am and always will be a warrior - but I strongly feel that the continuous linking of the name to the native american mascot is only hurting the argument that we can be warriors AND be politically sensitive at the same time (since, for example, when I asked about 20 people down here in TX the other day what their first thought was when I said the word warrior - they all basically said "heroic fighter" and shook their head in disagreement when I asked whether it might be more closely associated with a native american figure).  On the other hand, it does seem to be a strong-arm tactic - but is it an appropriate time to use such a tactic.

I am sure people will voice their opinion to him that he is wrong.  I was also intending that people could voice their opinion to him that he is right (and thus get both sides to represent the whole).

If you want my opinion, I would probably slightly prefer that the headdress not be associated with or used at marquette games.  But I also am not comfortable with the administration threatening to eject a patron for wearing it (there is such thing as freedom of speech/expression).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
There is really two issue here:

1)  Continued debate over the name, and I would state that the vast majority of the MU community is not offended by it and prefer Warriors.  I don't think that is debatable.  Many people realize it will never happen and have dropped it, or don't care enought to keep fighting, but a choice of preference is certainly there.

2)  Whether the use on this day would be permissible, particularly given that it is a celebration of our '77 Warriors.  Believe it or not, they were the Warriors and as much as MU can try, they will never run from it.  I think this would be his stronger argument, and certainly reasonable.  It is weakened, however, by the use in past games.

The interesting question will be how much "warriors" material gets on television.  I see plenty of it when I attend games, but I bet MU polices it pretty heavily.  Pretty "closed-minded" if you ask me, but it is a private event and they have that right to exclude anything they want.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 01:57:50 PM »
Clearly the fact that this guy's kid is a Marquette student demonstrates that he's been a lousy father.

For shame.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »
x
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:56:33 AM by drewm88 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
drew is correct!!! If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...I graduated in 1990 and I never once saw a Willie Wampum image until after the name change. Never. The ridiculous name is causing people to bring back the offensive images as a protest!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Well then... there is some native american significance to saturday and it is good for us!

There will be a total lunar eclipse occurring between 2:18PM and 4:44PM on Saturday (see this CNN article).  A quick check online of what the native americans thought of lunar eclipses yields this quote
When a lunar eclipse occurs it is viewed as recognizable change in energy, heat and strength of light.
at about 3/4ths the way down on the third page of this article.  So that means we'll be playing with a lot more energy (since we can only go up in that department), putting more heat on the ball, and performing strong under the (spot)light!  Even the ancient americans predict a victory for us tomorrow - now we cannot fail! ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 02:25:09 PM »
Student Life employees...same at every school.  I'm having a Sheery Coe Perkins flashback...Ugh.

What's next, banning of Warrior T-Shirts?  Banning of "Let's Go Warriors"? 

Considering what Student Life has endorsed over the years and allows frequently, their hypocrisy is staggering

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
There is a simple solution here--pitz' son should dress up in a way to honor Joan of Arc.

We keep hearing that MU fans support only the Warrior name and not the native American image.  We keep hearing that they would find a Joan of Arc image perfectly acceptable--if ONLY the administration would officially bless this move to the Joan of Arc mascot.  

Then, and only then could MU fans who want to honor the Warrior name could do so without an Indian as part of the image.

We've all heard the excuse--since MU won't provide an alternate to the Indian images, well, we'll just have to keep using the Indian.  

Are you all stupid?  You haven't yet figured out that nobody is stopping you from dressing up like Joan of Arc and honoring the Warrior image you all swear it your true intent?

Perhps if the administration saw the honor and dignity and support you show for the Joan of Arc Warrior, they might agree that it IS possible to keep the Warrior name.  

I say it's time for you to take the initiative.  Show the world you stand behind your the Joan of Arc imagery.  Why wait for the administration to bless your decision to switch en masse to Joan of Arc.  

You certainly don't accept the administration's blessing of the Golden Eagle name, so it is a bit confusing that you're holding off on this move until this same group gives you the thumbs up.

So this is your chance, Warrior supporters--dress up in your finest Joan of Arc regaila!!  You've been saying that is what you've wanted for years.  

feedback