[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oregon says eligibility of 'former' players is in question  (Read 23228 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Oregon says eligibility of 'former' players is in question
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/09/oregon_says_eligibility_of_for.html

Um.

So, I know this is in response to Michael Dunigan going to Isreal, and I know my gut reaction should be to trust that Buzz & the athletic department did their due diligence on Jamil Wilson, but this is at least slightly concerning, right?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Oregon says eligibility of 'former' players is in question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
The reference to "members" is disconcerting. I don't have the ability to check now to see how many "former members" of the team there are in the timeframe referenced, but that would provide some insight. I sure hope MU doesn't become part of the story as it goes forward.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »
NOW, Oregon is looking into the eligibility of FORMER members???
Sounds like they have an axe to grind.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
Well, even in the worst case scenario, Wilson has a year to get his house in order before he takes the floor. 

A freshman transferring is not that big of a deal.  Players and non-players do it for a variety of good reasons.  I am surprised Oregon would spend time on this.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
#1) It seems that retroactively looking into players' eligibility would be most applicable if you have a situation where something was either covered-up or not uncovered when the clearinghouse did it's initial review -- in other words, foreign players whose academic and athletic histories are not well documented or "elite" players who play for guys like John Calipari.

#2) What sort of eligibility are we talking here?

Amateur?  I'm pretty sure Jamil hasn't played professionally, and he doesn't exactly strike me as "elite" enough to have been garnering beni's from agents, coaches, etc.

Academic qualified?  MU surely already has this information.  Oregon surely had the information.  Racine School District already has this information.  If the NCAA hasn't said anything by now, this is

Academic performance?  I would assume that MU has Jamil's transcript from Oregon.  Even if there was grade embellishment (i.e. Jamil received grades he didn't earn), that's on Oregon, not MU.  Regardless, as previously indicated, he has a year to "right the ship." 

A non-issue for Jamil and MU in my opinion.  I could be wrong, but I hope not.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5578250

Michael Dunigan quits Oregon for Israel.

An ESPN article that may add some info on the situation

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »
NOW, Oregon is looking into the eligibility of FORMER members???
Sounds like they have an axe to grind.

This has nothing to do with that.  They are making sure that they do their due dilligence for the sake of their own program.  They may look into Jamil's situation, but I doubt they'll find anything.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
Why no current players?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Maybe there are no suspicions around current players.

Look, no program really has the time or the energy to worry about trying to get payback on players that transfer out of the program.  They just want to make sure to CYA to keep their programs from getting hit too hard with sanctions.  It serves Oregon no good to blackball Jamil Wilson for the sake of blackballing Jamil Wilson.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »
Not saying they're picking out one player.  Investigating 5 or so that leave, none within the program.  What a coincidence...  What are the odds of that actually being on the up and up?  Perhaps they're trying to make it look like they're policing themselves in front of the NCAA, without affecting their current roster?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Well, unless Jamil did something wrong, he really has nothing to worry about.  If he did take illegal benefits of some sort, then he doesn't deserve to play anyway.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
Just here whistlin  ♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫

Why don't you check with Lenny's sources, he seems to have the picture painting down pat   :o

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=21408.25

I'll leave it at that, but as he will state (if he's honest about it), there is a reason why I "squirm".   I wouldn't be all that surprised about anything coming out of this....and that goes both ways (it might amount to nothing and then again).

But Lenny will fill you in.   ::)

♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »

Why don't you check with Lenny's sources, he seems to have the picture painting down pat   :o

I'll leave it at that, but as he will state (if he's honest about it), there is a reason why I "squirm".   I wouldn't be all that surprised about anything coming out of this....and that goes both ways (it might amount to nothing and then again).

♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫

Sounds to me like you know absolutely nothing concrete. And why am I not surprised you are sitting here patting yourself on the back when based on the above there is no way you can possibly be wrong.  "it might be something...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not" 

WTF is that?

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »

♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♫♫♪♫

Hey Chicos,
If you actually have something, then out with it. All this beating around the bush is really annoying, and does nobody any good.

If, as I suspect, you are just trying to be provocative (and I mean that in the worst sense of the word),  give it a rest. Nobody on this board loves quoting long-ago threads to make themselves look like Nostradamus as much as you, so I guess this is just your m.o. As ATL says, you are saying so little that there is no real way you will be completely wrong. Thats a piss-poor way of making a point, if you ask me.

chicos: "it could be this, or it could be that. just don't say i didn't warn you"

chicos (4 months later): "Told you! you all have your heads in the sand. But I'll just leave it at that"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »
No one is Nostradamus or pretending to be.  I don't like what I've been hearing for awhile on certain things.   And when I say I don't like what I'm hearing, that doesn't necessarily mean something illegal is going on.  Things like recruiting kids that already have verballed to other schools, I don't like it but we do it now.  That stuff makes me squirm, especially when in years past we screamed bloody murder when schools did it against us.  Bad Ju-Ju in my opinion.

And sorry, but if you think I'm stupid enough to put what I've heard on a public board... you're crazy. I have no way of knowing if it's concrete, or if one school is upset at another, or a player just being goofy.  So sorry, not going there.  But, I was not surprised at all to see that news report come out of Oregon on Dunigan. And some of you might say, what does Dunigan have to do with Marquette.  Ask Lenny's sources....they apparently paint pictures well.  :o  Would it surprise me if other players are mentioned further in this story?  No. 

In the meantime, I'll just squirm and rely on Lenny's sources and pray they are right. I'll strike it up as a pure coincidence with what appeared in the Oregon news a few days ago is remarkably similar to what I've been hearing for months from some folks from Pac Ten schools here on the left coast.  Purely coincidental.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
Do you even like Marquette? You never have anything positive to say about the program

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
im just really sick of everyone inflating their own sense of self importance with whatever their sources might be.

if you have sources you can talk about, please do so. if you dont, shut up - no one cares that you have them, we only care about what info you can reputably tell everyone.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Jamil Wilson's academic standing is fine.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
im just really sick of everyone inflating their own sense of self importance with whatever their sources might be.

if you have sources you can talk about, please do so. if you dont, shut up - no one cares that you have them, we only care about what info you can reputably tell everyone.

+1

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »

amen brother (or sister).

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »
No one is Nostradamus or pretending to be.  I don't like what I've been hearing for awhile on certain things.   And when I say I don't like what I'm hearing, that doesn't necessarily mean something illegal is going on.  Things like recruiting kids that already have verballed to other schools, I don't like it but we do it now.  That stuff makes me squirm, especially when in years past we screamed bloody murder when schools did it against us.  Bad Ju-Ju in my opinion.

And sorry, but if you think I'm stupid enough to put what I've heard on a public board... you're crazy. I have no way of knowing if it's concrete, or if one school is upset at another, or a player just being goofy.  So sorry, not going there.  But, I was not surprised at all to see that news report come out of Oregon on Dunigan. And some of you might say, what does Dunigan have to do with Marquette.  Ask Lenny's sources....they apparently paint pictures well.  :o  Would it surprise me if other players are mentioned further in this story?  No.  

In the meantime, I'll just squirm and rely on Lenny's sources and pray they are right. I'll strike it up as a pure coincidence with what appeared in the Oregon news a few days ago is remarkably similar to what I've been hearing for months from some folks from Pac Ten schools here on the left coast.  Purely coincidental.

When did other schools do this against us, and when did we scream bloody murder? Seriously, just having a kid transfer doesn't mean he was recruited out, I can't think of a time when I felt a kid was recruited away more than simply didn't want to be here...or when I saw this board scream bloody murder over it and accuse another team.

But please, keep covering all your bases so you are never wrong....so far your statements have equaled - "I'm won't be surprised if anything happens or doesn't happen." Thanks for the insight.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »
Jamil Wilson's academic standing is fine.

Thats all I need to hear. From a real source no less!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
"An undisclosed number of former players are involved in this investigation, which reportedly includes fellow Chicagoans Matthew Humphrey and Josh Crittle, both of whom transferred after Ernie Kent's dismissal in March." 

Mean Streets connection? 

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/09/oregon_basketball_michael_duni_2.html

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
I just got word from Chico's sources about some really big stuff...that might end up being small stuff...or nothing at all. I can't tell you who or what it's about or if it will actually happen but if something does (or does not) happen, just remember that you heard it from me first. You're welcome!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:42 AM »
Do you even like Marquette? You never have anything positive to say about the program

Damn....you know if only you could have found a way to say NEVER and ALWAYS you could have won the daily double.  Sorry, but whenever people use NEVER and ALWAYS I can tell right away they're full of crap because it's such a lazy response and ridiculously untrue.

But yes, I like love Marquette.  If I criticize the gov't, does that mean I hate the USA?  If I come down on my kids does that mean I hate them?  Of course not.  Sounds like you only want fanboys here.   

You'll have to answer that question because I know where my heart is at....with MU and to do things the right way.  I don't think that's asking a lot.  It means things like, when a kid has verballed to another school, honor that verbal commitment.  It means when accepting a LOI, we honor that LOI.  Etc, etc (which I won't get into now).  Not asking the world here.  Just common sense stuff.  Some of you don't agree, that's fine.  It's a free country.  Doesn't mean I love MU any less than anyone else.

MarkCharles.....academics was never an issue nor did anyone ever say it was.  I'm thrilled MM confirmed that, but it was unnecessary as it has nothing to do with the situation at hand.