[Today at 09:49:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Tennessee to be subject of NCAA probe  (Read 14540 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: OT: Tennessee to be subject of NCAA probe
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 06:16:02 AM »
Lots of coaches cheat in recruiting, no shocker there...are we and has MU always been above it??....pretty naive to believe so as Al was pulling stud recruits to a tiny campus in Milwaukee, WI.  (hell the greatest gentleman the college game has seen John Wooden cheated like a hitched hooker).

don't know Pearl personally but it's more important if he is honorable in his personal life dealings then if he's sending cash to an AAU coach.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:25:13 AM by Stone Cold »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 06:37:48 AM »
Hey, isn't this the same guy who complained publicly about other coaches cheating a few years back and had the college BB community turn its' back on him?  Ironic.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
pearl was involved back in late 80's-deon thomas scandle-oops?
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »
Hey, isn't this the same guy who complained publicly about other coaches cheating a few years back and had the college BB community turn its' back on him?  Ironic.

yup-that's why i say, he who laughs last...laughs...last

he was involved in the deon thomas war between iowa and illinois and turned over some tapes.  now he gets his.  illinois must be partying!!

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/supplementary/bruce_pearl_ncaa_memo.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:51:17 AM by wyzgy »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
Lots of coaches cheat in recruiting, no shocker there...are we and has MU always been above it??....pretty naive to believe so as Al was pulling stud recruits to a tiny campus in Milwaukee, WI.  (hell the greatest gentleman the college game has seen John Wooden cheated like a hitched hooker).

don't know Pearl personally but it's more important if he is honorable in his personal life dealings then if he's sending cash to an AAU coach.  

Are we above it....I'll say a resounding NO.  Have we done some things that make me squirm that we didn't use to do....unfortunately YES.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
Are we above it....I'll say a resounding NO.  Have we done some things that make me squirm that we didn't use to do....unfortunately YES.

Buzz made me squirm a little over his dust up with Mac and the Newbill incident. Still a refreshing change from the constant squirming caused by the previous administration.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »

1. Al was a special person
2. Al was a New Yorker
3. Al was recruiting black inner city kids when half the country would not recruit them. Kentucky's first black player was the same year as Jim Chones. He ended up being charged with rape. I still wonder if it was set up.

Al was able to recruit good black players because he was able to relate with them, not because he cheated.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »
1. Al was a special person
2. Al was a New Yorker
3. Al was recruiting black inner city kids when half the country would not recruit them. Kentucky's first black player was the same year as Jim Chones. He ended up being charged with rape. I still wonder if it was set up.

Al was able to recruit good black players because he was able to relate with them, not because he cheated.

That would be Tom Payne.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »
Buzz made me squirm a little over his dust up with Mac and the Newbill incident. Still a refreshing change from the constant squirming caused by the previous administration.

Posit of the day: is it better to squirm as a result of an off-putting personality or better to squirm as a result of bending the rules? Which squirm is better? And which squirm is easier to digest? Is it easier to squirm when the program is naughty or easier to squirm when you simply will never like one person in the program?

These are questions I ask myself every day.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »
Posit of the day: is it better to squirm as a result of an off-putting personality or better to squirm as a result of bending the rules? Which squirm is better? And which squirm is easier to digest? Is it easier to squirm when the program is naughty or easier to squirm when you simply will never like one person in the program?

These are questions I ask myself every day.

Posit of the day: Which is worse? Calling someone dirty without a shred of evidence or calling someone slimy based on mountains of it.

I only had to ask myself once.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »

That would be Tom Payne.

Did he write "Common Sense" from his jail cell?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
Posit of the day: Which is worse? Calling someone dirty without a shred of evidence or calling someone slimy based on mountains of it.

I only had to ask myself once.

Not for one minute do I believe your head is that far in the sand.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
Not for one minute do I believe your head is that far in the sand.

Please share your evidence that Buzz and Marquette are a dirty program. If you've got the goods, I'll pull my head out of the sand. If you've got nothing (as I suspect you do), perhaps you'll pull yours out of your backside.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
Please share your evidence that Buzz and Marquette are a dirty program. If you've got the goods, I'll pull my head out of the sand. If you've got nothing (as I suspect you do), perhaps you'll pull yours out of your backside.

You have mail

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
You have mail

Sorry you are squirming. My sources paint a decidedly different picture.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
I'd like to hear this too....

But no PMs. If you got something legit, post it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »
I'd like to hear this too....

But no PMs. If you got something legit, post it.

It was a personal email not a public one.  I wanted Lenny to know how much he makes squirm and how I dream of him nightly before going to bed.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »
unless any of yous guyses have any evidence of chicanery by mu, we remain as pure as the wind driven snow.  don't have any ncaa'ers bustin our balls that i know of and no chinks in our armour-so...PLAY BALL!!!  ;D

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »
From:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13947411/sources-exrecruit-craft-at-center-of-ncaas-tennessee-probe

Bruce Pearl's admitted "mistakes" during an investigation into his men's basketball program include the Tennessee coach providing "incorrect and misleading information" to the NCAA about illegally hosting recruits at his home during the Fall of 2008, multiple sources have told CBSSports.com.

Class of 2010 standout Aaron Craft is at the center of the investigation, according to sources. The point guard from Ohio committed to Tennessee in September 2008, i.e., at the beginning of his junior year.

Sources told CBSSports.com that Craft -- along with fellow Class of 2010 prospect Josh Selby, who also was committed to Tennessee at the time, and perhaps another recruit -- visited Pearl's home during an unofficial visit to Tennessee later that same year, which is a violation of NCAA rules because high school juniors aren't allowed to engage college coaches away from campus. Pearl denied that Craft and Selby ever had been to his home when NCAA assistant director of enforcement Kristen Matha initially asked. The problem with that approach was that the NCAA, according to sources, already had in its possession a picture of Pearl and Craft that was snapped inside Pearl's home, which led to the line of questioning in the first place. It's unclear who took the picture or how the NCAA obtained it.

Craft, like Selby, ultimately decommitted from Tennessee.

Craft is now a freshman at Ohio State and Selby is enrolled at Kansas.

"I learned that it's not OK to tell the truth most of the time, but that you have to tell the truth all the time," Pearl said during Friday's news conference shortly after school officials announced it had received a letter of inquiry from the NCAA, just before school officials declined comment when asked for details on the case. "I have no tolerable answer for why I didn't tell the truth the first time, and I take full responsibility for my actions."

An attempt by CBSSports.com to reach Pearl for comment Tuesday was unsuccessful.

Aaron Craft's father, John Craft, acknowledged to CBSSports.com by phone this week that an Ohio State "compliance guy" contacted him "earlier in the summer" and informed him "Aaron might be questioned." A source told CBSSports.com that Aaron Craft later spoke with the NCAA by phone, but John Craft denied that happened. Asked if Aaron Craft and other prospects visited Pearl's home in 2008, John Craft said "I have no comment about that." Asked if the NCAA has a picture of his son with Pearl at Pearl's home from 2008, Craft said he's heard about the existence of such a picture "through the grapevine," but added that he's never actually seen the picture and thus didn't feel comfortable commenting on it in any way.

Tennessee announced Friday that Pearl will lose $1.5 million in salary over the next five years and be banned from off-campus recruiting from Sept. 24, 2010 to Sept. 23, 2011 as part of self-imposed penalties. Still, the NCAA has yet to file a notice of allegations against UT. So it's unclear if Pearl or his staff will receive further punishment at a later date.

"I have confidence that [Pearl] will do the right things in the future," Tennessee chancellor Jimmy Cheek said at Friday's press conference. "He is one of our family members, and we stand with him and his family at this point in time."

Pearl is 126-46 in five seasons at Tennessee and has led the Vols to five straight NCAA tournaments.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
Bilsu, I read your email about Al McGuire being a saint in recruiting, I would say that is far from the truth.  That era had
there issues no differently than right now.  George Thompson was signed without visiting the school, come on.  Dean
Memminger, seriously you think nothing happened there, get your head out of the sand.  MU and Al had Herb Kohl and
UCLA had Sam Gilbert.  There is no reason to drag up the past, but I played with a few of the players in that generation.
Dean had 4 leather coats, Ace Vollmer had none. 

thanooj

• Starter
Re: pearl was involved back in late 80's-deon thomas scandle-oops?
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
yup-that's why i say, he who laughs last...laughs...last

he was involved in the deon thomas war between iowa and illinois and turned over some tapes.  now he gets his.  illinois must be partying!!

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/supplementary/bruce_pearl_ncaa_memo.html

I think Pearl is slimy.  But a sidebar to the Iowa Illinois incident is that Dr. Tom Davis probably gave his consent if not pulled the strings to get his assistant Pearl to record phone conversations with recruits and blow the whistle and Bruce Pearl fell on the sword for his head coach.  I believe that Bruce was respected in certain coaching circles for his loyalty to Tom Davis.  He never ever pointed a finger.  The shame was that it took a very long time for that blemish to shrink enough for him to get a DI head coaching job.
point?  pearl is loyal.  Really slimy and dirty and probably corrupt.  but loyal.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

feedback