[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wade in IU shorts....again  (Read 19021 times)

brewnewsman

• Scholarship Player
Wade in IU shorts....again
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
From the 76rs director of PR on twitter:

Dwyane Wade just walked out of the gym at @usabasketball practice wearing adidas branded Indiana University shorts ... Odd

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Wade in IU shorts....again
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
Can't the guy afford MU shorts? Maybe not with the money he left on the table.

Moderator: please start a fund raising thread to get contributions for Wade to have MU shorts. I will contribute!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »
I usually try not to get too worked up about trivial stuff like this, but this really pisses me off.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
I don't really understand why this is such a big deal.  I wear Alabama shorts, Oklahoma shorts, and Illinois shorts.  I don't attend there, but I like the shorts.  I would love North Carolina shorts as well if they weren't always sold out in every size other than XL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
Probably pisses off Jordan Brand more than anyone.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
yeah, think its lame to get all worked up about this.  D-Wade owes a lot to TC, no matter how much anyone here might hate him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »
yeah, think its lame to get all worked up about this.  D-Wade owes a lot to TC, no matter how much anyone here might hate him.
Other way around--crean owes a lot to wade, considering Wade carried the team to the Final 4.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »
Other way around--crean owes a lot to wade, considering Wade carried the team to the Final 4.

An emphatic +1.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
I didn't mind when he was at the Indiana camp wearing them or whatever it was related to IU because he was clearly there to support Crean I can live with that.  I just bugs me at a USA Basketball practice he's wearing them.  I don't even really hate Crean that much, i guess i just wish he would rep Marquette a little more is what it really comes down to.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
I don't really understand why this is such a big deal.  I wear Alabama shorts, Oklahoma shorts, and Illinois shorts.  I don't attend there, but I like the shorts.  I would love North Carolina shorts as well if they weren't always sold out in every size other than XL.

Yeah, but you aren't the most recognizable public figure we have to represent the university, and aren't part of what Marquette uses to brand itself. Would it be okay for Wade to show up in Bulls' gear because he cheered for them as a kid? Not to your average Heat fan, I would imagine. If it's a one-time promotional thing for his old coach, or if he's helping out specifically at an Indiana camp, that's one thing. But I'd much rather that he represents the school that made him on a day-to-day basis. Wade is a big part of Marquette's tradition, and I think that most alumni would appreciate him sporting our apparel as a way to show that Marquette is also a big part of his past.

This is stuff that irritates me, if he doesn't want to wear Marquette stuff, fine, wear your pro gear, or wear Jordan Brand. I'm a Chicago Cubs fan, and I'm going to a Brewers game this weekend against the Nationals for a charity thing. Will I wear Brewers stuff? No, I have no affiliation or fan love for them. Will I wear Cubs stuff? No, while some Cubs fans would, I consider that to be pretty classless. I'll go with something that is neutral to the game at hand. If Wade doesn't want to wear MU gear, fine, but the options left are to wear USA basketball stuff (relevant to the practice), Jordan Brand (relevant to his endorsements), or Miami Heat (relevant to his pro contract). Wearing something that is not relevant to either his personal past or the event at hand doesn't make much sense to me, and as a Marquette alum, feels like a bit of a slight.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
With his new contract I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Wade make a major donation to MU to fund scholarships for inner city kids or anything like that.....  >:(

After his recent PR gaffes and the bad press surrounding his very messy divorce, something like that would go a long way to help improve his off the court image.

He has no connection to Buzz and more and more it seems like little connection to MU as well.

Let's hope that Wes, Zar and eventually Jimmy represent us well in the public eye and the NBA.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
Can't the guy afford MU shorts? Maybe not with the money he left on the table.

Moderator: please start a fund raising thread to get contributions for Wade to have MU shorts. I will contribute!

That would actually be pretty funny.  Wade has not been linked to MU in a while and maybe we can grab a headline in the NBA and college offseason with this renewed interest in Wade.  Rosiak could pick up the story and see where it went.  It would actually benefit Crean too, since IU would get into the story, so everyone would win!  

We all gotta be loyal to Wade.  He has been a pretty good representative of MU and we can all appreciate the way he has played when he had the blue and gold on and with the Heat.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:40 PM »
They're probably just shorts.  I don't think about the clothes that I've had for a long time.  After a while they turn into "just shirts" or "just shorts" until someone mentions something.  I'm sure Crean sent DWade shorts for free.  I'm sure that if Buzz sent Wade shorts he'd wander around in those too.  With the amount of free athletic gear that guy's given on a yearly basis do you really think he's wandering over to the Marquette Spirit Shop online to buy himself a set of baby blues and a Jimmy Butler jersey? 

And hating on him for not donating enough money fast enough?  Let the guy be.  He gives a lot of time and money to philanthropic causes and I'm sure that'll continue because he's a good man.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »
That would actually be pretty funny.  Wade has not been linked to MU in a while and maybe we can grab a headline in the NBA and college offseason with this renewed interest in Wade.  Rosiak could pick up the story and see where it went.  It would actually benefit Crean too, since IU would get into the story, so everyone would win!  

We all gotta be loyal to Wade.  He has been a pretty good representative of MU and we can all appreciate the way he has played when he had the blue and gold on and with the Heat.

How often do you want Wade and MU to be linked?

Just last year MU switched completely over to Jordan brand because Dwyane switched. I mean, that's a pretty big deal.

How much pub do we expect the guy to give MU?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
Probably pisses off Jordan Brand more than anyone.

This seems like the biggest issue to me.  He's getting paid millions of dollars to be a spokesman for Nike/Jordan Brand, and he's wearing adidas shorts.  Look at the stink Jordan made about his kid having to wear adidas at UCF, and about hiding the competing logo with the flag on the olympic medal stand.  Someone out in Oregon should get Wade on the phone, better yet, this sounds like a job for Michael Jordan himself, seeing as he like to give free career advice in the media to LeBron and Wade lately.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:10:03 PM by Litehouse »

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
Come on, people.  Wade has established a scholarship for poor kids to come to MU through the Boys and Girls Club of Milwaukee.  I believe it sends 2 students a year to MU.  What more does he need to do to satisfy some of you.  Wade always speaks very highly of MU, and especially of the education he received here.  While we might not see him around here much in the future because the coaches he had relationships with are no longer here, some of you are treating him as if he is a traitor or something because he continues to maintain a relationship with his former coach. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »
How often do you want Wade and MU to be linked?

as much as possible?  

He doesn't owe MU much, but it's always nice to be linked with DWade.  I love when all of our alums are involved/linked to MU.  It creates a nice family atmosphere.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
His wife got the MU shorts in the settlement.  Now do we know if he was drinking a DP or did he switch to a DC like CTC?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
Yeah, but you aren't the most recognizable public figure we have to represent the university, and aren't part of what Marquette uses to brand itself. Would it be okay for Wade to show up in Bulls' gear because he cheered for them as a kid? Not to your average Heat fan, I would imagine. If it's a one-time promotional thing for his old coach, or if he's helping out specifically at an Indiana camp, that's one thing. But I'd much rather that he represents the school that made him on a day-to-day basis. Wade is a big part of Marquette's tradition, and I think that most alumni would appreciate him sporting our apparel as a way to show that Marquette is also a big part of his past.

This is stuff that irritates me, if he doesn't want to wear Marquette stuff, fine, wear your pro gear, or wear Jordan Brand. I'm a Chicago Cubs fan, and I'm going to a Brewers game this weekend against the Nationals for a charity thing. Will I wear Brewers stuff? No, I have no affiliation or fan love for them. Will I wear Cubs stuff? No, while some Cubs fans would, I consider that to be pretty classless. I'll go with something that is neutral to the game at hand. If Wade doesn't want to wear MU gear, fine, but the options left are to wear USA basketball stuff (relevant to the practice), Jordan Brand (relevant to his endorsements), or Miami Heat (relevant to his pro contract). Wearing something that is not relevant to either his personal past or the event at hand doesn't make much sense to me, and as a Marquette alum, feels like a bit of a slight.
A better comparison would be if Pat Riley became the GM of the Bulls and 7 years after Wade retired from the NBA and the Heat he wore some Bulls shorts to the gym.  In my opinion, that is completely fine.  If he was still attending Marquette University I might be more worried if he was wearing Indiana shorts, but he's 7 years out of Marquette and the guy who coached him at Marquette now coaches at Indiana.  I doubt Wade bought those shorts on his own.

And again, you wouldn't wear Brewers stuff because you have no affiliation with them.  Wade is connected to Indiana in that his former coach now coaches there.  It's not like Wade will all of a sudden not be related to Marquette because he wore some Indiana shorts.  When people talk about Wade's college career, they will talk about Marquette and his Final Four run there, not his wearing Indiana shorts to a camp and a practice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Probably wore them because he met with Crean.

Isn't TC down in Vegas for the AAU tourney?
And the US National team IS practicing in Las Vegas this week/end too...
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
And again, you wouldn't wear Brewers stuff because you have no affiliation with them.  Wade is connected to Indiana in that his former coach now coaches there.  It's not like Wade will all of a sudden not be related to Marquette because he wore some Indiana shorts.  When people talk about Wade's college career, they will talk about Marquette and his Final Four run there, not his wearing Indiana shorts to a camp and a practice.

Well, my girlfriend's a Brewers fan. Sort of like Wade's buddy coaching at Indiana. But that doesn't make me a Brewer fan, nor does it make Wade a IU alum. And the further people get from college, the less their college careers and accolades are discussed. For that reason, it'd be nice of him to wear MU stuff as a reminder to future generations who may not be familiar with his college career that he went here. If your average 10-year-old future phenom sees his hero D-Wade in IU gear today, he may think in 7 years when he's committing "I wanna go to IU, that's D-Wade's school" if he doesn't bother to do any more research (and how many modern kids bother with research?) into Wade's college career.

I like the idea about buying MU gear to send to him. I'll happily donate money to contribute to that cause :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »

Chicken or egg argument.  Wade doesn't go t Marquette, he doesn't lead any team to the Final Four.  He was down to Illinois State, Marquette and DePaul. 

Crean got him to Marquette....they both helped each other immensely, neither hits the Final Four without the other.

Secondly, Wade did not carry MU to the Final Four.  Please watch Holy Cross and Missouri games again.

I always find it amazing how much people here hate Crean, yet some of the best players that ever came through Marquette don't.  Says something.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
With his new contract I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Wade make a major donation to MU to fund scholarships for inner city kids or anything like that.....  >:(

After his recent PR gaffes and the bad press surrounding his very messy divorce, something like that would go a long way to help improve his off the court image.

He has no connection to Buzz and more and more it seems like little connection to MU as well.

Let's hope that Wes, Zar and eventually Jimmy represent us well in the public eye and the NBA.

With the settlement I imagine Siogvaughn is one of (if not the) richest MU alumni.  She should contribute the schollie.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
as much as possible?  

He doesn't owe MU much, but it's always nice to be linked with DWade.  I love when all of our alums are involved/linked to MU.  It creates a nice family atmosphere.

Agreed.

But, I don't think I can judge him for his choice in athletic wear.

Dwyane has done plenty for MU. If he wants to wear IU shorts once in a while because his friend coaches at IU, no big deal.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
 The real question here is what he's wearing under the IU shorts. I'm down with it if he's got a Marquette jockstrap on underneath. If, on the other hand, he's goin' commando, well then, that's a different deal all together.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback