[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hilsdale/MU  (Read 7455 times)

Murffieus

• All American
Hilsdale/MU
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
Hillsdale is well coached but not stocked with talent and NO athleticism whatsoever -----earlier in the week they lost to Akron 83-65.

IMO we are in too much of a hurry too early in the possession cycle (shot clock)-----we didn't play like that last year in the 2nd half of the Alabama game or against GT or Pitt at the BC-------why we're doing that now----I dion't have the feintest idea. But if the hurry up game doesn't work against Hillsdale----it's certainly not going to fly in the BE!

Also disturbing is that DJ's perimeter shot hasn't improved one iota----in fact it seems to have regressed (1 for 10) so far! IMO he needs a complete overhaul on his trey shooting form ! How he's going to leave after this year (shooting like that) for the NBA is a mystery to me.

Defensively we got caught too much overplaying passing lanes as they reversed a lot for the pass to get inside our defense and break it down. IMO we should be concentrating more on one on one position defense and less on trying for deflections----too much gambling/exposure with little success against the better teams overplaying like that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 12:55:37 PM by Murffieus »

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Hilsdale/MU
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »
Well, I think it was a given that DJ is not a shooter. He'd be better served to try to penetrate and if it's not there, get it to somebody else. He should NOT be taking 3 pointers. Honestly, I think he's really a more athletic version of Tony Miller. DJ will score much more than Tony because of his quickness, but they're both terrible shooters.

What is more alarming to me are the 22 shots that McNeal put up. In a perfect world, McNeal would be a defensive stopper...certainly not one of the focal points of the offense. In fact, I'd much prefer Matthews take a greater role on the offensive end than Jerel. All these comparisons to the Villanova teams of the last couple years make for good copy, but it's just not accurate. I love DJ, McNeal and Matthews, but they don't have the offensive talent of the three Villanova stars.

The bottom line is that we have built this team on perimeter players that have below average shots. Furthermore, they're not exceptional free throw shooters. I expect things to improve a little...and the Big East is not as strong as it was last year...but I can't see how this team is better than last year's 10-6 team. Novak is a HUGE loss...a bigger loss than Diener.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:36:37 PM »
What is more alarming to me are the 22 shots that McNeal put up.

Yeah, that stuck out to me in the box score big time.

We're going to need to shoot the ball well this year, no doubt. Last night raised some concerns, but  it's too early to get a read on things (at least to me, esp. only being able to follow via the news/radio at this point).

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »
Though the guard play was disappointing----I thought our bigs did OK offensively. Barro had a couple of nice moves which resulted inscores----Lott hit a couple of 7-8 footers----and did you see that power dunk by Burke off a rebound-----almost had another one like it in only 6 minutes of PT-----most explosive move I've seen by an MU big in a long, long tme!

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »
Hillsdale was sound-
played a lot like Princeton.
now, they were outtalented and should not have been in the game, but they executed--- was that because MU was awful?
to a degree, yup... but I still think TC was tinkering.
DJ was out there a lot, but early was not playing the point--- rotated between Wes, Jer, Daveeed and DJ.

MU didn't hit any shots- many were in and out, some longer shots were just bad.

Lott and Ooze looked good----
Kinsella didn't play.

we moved the ball pretty well all in all, had some good penetration.
d was active, but brokedown too much... it's what happens against a princeton-type team, for certain.

there's still a lot of young on MU--- at one point, I think we had like 2 frosh 3 soph in there???

we're definately not a great team right now--- emphasis on team.

DJ had a bad night-
Wes wasn't in the flow-
Fitz was nonexistant-
Lazar scored on 2 cherry picking dunks.

these guys need to gel-- not get too fancy or wrapped up in their own talents, which are obviously great.. but work more as a team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »
not get too fancy or wrapped up in their own talents

That is the key right there. Dominic has got to rediscover what it means to run the team, not run up his own stats. Very rarely did he make a pass after MU didnt get anything out of their primary and secondary break. It was either recklessly attack the hoop or take a pullup jumper early in the shot clock.

Jerel is also trying way too hard, 22 shots for him was alarming, and as far as I'm concerned bad shots are as bad as turnovers.  Those two have to start letting the game come to them if this team is going to do anything this year.

tomahawkchop

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:46:21 PM »
I think the loss of Novak has been terribly underestimated.  Watching Fitzgerald, it's becoming obvious he's not capable of performing consistantly at this level.

MU might be the most overrated team in college BBall this season, imo.  The only one of the "big 3" who looks like he's improved is Matthews.

And James better learn how to shoot the ball before he even thinks about the NBA.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 06:47:53 PM by tomahawkchop »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 06:49:24 PM »
The problem with Fitz is he is someone whose scoring opportunities come primarily in the halfcourt, from sets and kick-outs from dribble penetration. Right now, the guards aren't looking to run a halfcourt offense most of the time, and are definitely not looking for the kick-out. Fitz and Hayward were open numerous times in the corner last night, while James and McNeal forced up wild shots.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »
Fitz has to learn to look for the trey first----then the drive or pass-----and he needs to learn a quicker release ! Could be a poor man's Novak, if he makes those adjustments!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:38 AM »
WOW!  We play one game and everyone is out of the woodworks talking about how we are overrated, and in some cases, the most overrated team in basketball.  It was a piss poor performance no doubts about it but it was 1 game. A game where we did some experimenting and played just about everyone on our bench for extended minutes.  Lets at least wait a week before we make claims like we are the most overrated team in basketaball.  It very well could turn out that this game will be our worst of the season or that we are in fact the most overrated team in basketball but not after one game.  What I will say is that this team has the talent to be better than last years team by the end of the year.

tomahawkchop

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 01:01:40 PM »
WOW!  We play one game and everyone is out of the woodworks talking about how we are overrated, and in some cases, the most overrated team in basketball.  It was a piss poor performance no doubts about it but it was 1 game. A game where we did some experimenting and played just about everyone on our bench for extended minutes.  Lets at least wait a week before we make claims like we are the most overrated team in basketaball.  It very well could turn out that this game will be our worst of the season or that we are in fact the most overrated team in basketball but not after one game.  What I will say is that this team has the talent to be better than last years team by the end of the year.

I'm sorry, but the inside game is no better, and McNeal and DJ are the same players as last season (fine for DJ, not fine for McNeal).  Matthews is raising the level of his game, but there is no consistant outside threat to even come close to making up for the loss of Steve.

What makes you think they can even approach the highs of last season (even if they ended on a down note)?

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 01:08:20 PM »
tomahawk...how can YOU say, after ONE game, that the inside game is no better, and mcneal and DJ have not improved???  when last year did we ever get 19 and 13 out of only 2 big guys (ignore ammo aberration)?  so after one game, i would say the inside game is better.  and while mcneal and dj did not play a good game, to already say they have not improved at all is at least premature, and at most irresponsible.  what makes me think they can approach the highs of last year is that the talent level is greater overall, and everyone has another year of experience under their belts.  give this team a chance man.  i'd like to know how you can make your claims after one game?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 02:54:24 PM by dwaderoy2004 »

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 01:33:11 PM »
tomahawk...how can YOU say, after ONE game, that the inside game is no better, and mcneal and DJ have not improved???  when last year did we ever get 19 and 13 out of only 2 big guys (ignore ammo aberration)?  so after one game, i would say the inside game is better.  and while mcneal and dj did not play a good game, to already say they have not improved at all is at least immature, at at most irresponsible.  what makes me think they can approach the highs of last year is that the talent level is greater overall, and everyone has another year of experience under their belts.  give this team a chance man.  i'd like to know how you can make your claims after one game?

Thank you for adding common sense to the conversation, dwaderoy. I blows my mind that people are already jumping ship after one game. I'll admit that I didn't walk away happy after friday night's game, but it was because I was frustrated that we are not yet playing like a team, not because we're all the sudden the most overrated team in college basketball. Unbelievable.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »
Did anyone notice that Rodrick Rhodes - a member of the Kentucky team that lost to MU on their way to the Sweet 16 in 93/94 - is an Assistant Coach for ISU?!?
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 04:55:34 PM »
Did anyone notice that Rodrick Rhodes - a member of the Kentucky team that lost to MU on their way to the Sweet 16 in 93/94 - is an Assistant Coach for ISU?!?

That's a good tidbit!  I wonder if he'll be doing ISU's motivational speech before the game...

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 07:39:42 PM »

I'm sorry, but the inside game is no better, and McNeal and DJ are the same players as last season (fine for DJ, not fine for McNeal).  Matthews is raising the level of his game, but there is no consistant outside threat to even come close to making up for the loss of Steve.

What makes you think they can even approach the highs of last season (even if they ended on a down note)?

We can approach the highs of last year because overall we are a more talented team.  We had more of an inside game against Hillsdale than we did most of last year.  I will continue to say that while Novak was a great player, we can replace his production as a team.  Hayward and Fitz have reputations as good outside shooters.  Matthews has shown this year that he has a good outside shot and I have heard a lot of testimony from practices that McNeal has improved his outside shot as well.  Cubillan definitely looks like he can hit the three as well.  None can replace Novak individually but as a team we will be a decent shooting team.

I guess we will see throughout the course of the year who is right.

feedback