[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kevin Williard to Seton Hall; DePaul & St. John's Flailing Away  (Read 11209 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Good hire by Seton Hall in my opinion.  Good recruiter, knows the Big East, and will bring a good staff with him. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5035678

Meanwhile, St. John's is just swinging and missing horrendously with Paul Hewitt and may be taking a shot at Steve Lavin now, and DePaul's delusion may be starting to meet reality after getting shot down by Tony Barbee and Ben Howland.
The General has taken on a new command.

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Kevin Williard to Seton Hall; DePaul & St. John's Flailing Away
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Rod Strickland (currently a UK assistant) is being linked to the DePaul job now. He played at DePaul as well as the NBA, so has the name recognition. He is from NYC, so he has those connections as well. Oh...and he has the Worldwide Wes connections, so that should help him get players.  One thing that has been brought up with him, is that he does not yet have his college degree.

I am also suprised Jerrance Howard's name hasnt been brought up for that job yet.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
From what I am reading, Lavin will be offered the HC job, and his assistants would be Dave Leitao, who did a lot of the NYC recruiting while at UConn, and current Manhattan head coach Barry Rohrssen.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
DePaul is waiting for Coach K's season to end. He's a local kid and probably grew up dreaming of coaching at DePaul.
We Are Marquette

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
From what I am reading, Lavin will be offered the HC job, and his assistants would be Dave Leitao, who did a lot of the NYC recruiting while at UConn, and current Manhattan head coach Barry Rohrssen.

If St. John's pulls off all 3 of those as a package deal, that would be one impressive staff. Rohrssen was the recruiting force behind getting Pitt into NYC under Howland and the early Dixon years.  Even if Lavin is an iffy Xs and Os guy, they will get a LOT of talent in there with those 3.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
Good hire by Seton Hall in my opinion.  Good recruiter, knows the Big East, and will bring a good staff with him. 

Meanwhile, St. John's is just swinging and missing horrendously with Paul Hewitt and may be taking a shot at Steve Lavin now, and DePaul's delusion may be starting to meet reality after getting shot down by Tony Barbee and Ben Howland.

Disagree, they're taking their time and not panicking into a hire.  Let them spend a few weeks, as they should.  If it doesn't work out, at least they gave it a good shot and can always back into someone they can get today anyway.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
They have to take their time, Buzz Williams is not out there!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »
Rod Strickland (currently a UK assistant) is being linked to the DePaul job now. He played at DePaul as well as the NBA, so has the name recognition. He is from NYC, so he has those connections as well. Oh...and he has the Worldwide Wes connections, so that should help him get players.  One thing that has been brought up with him, is that he does not yet have his college degree.

I am also suprised Jerrance Howard's name hasnt been brought up for that job yet.

Unless he earns his degree in the next couple weeks, he isn't eligible to be a head coach. Then again, I bet Worldwide Wes could find a way for him to earn his degree in 10 days.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
Unless he earns his degree in the next couple weeks, he isn't eligible to be a head coach. Then again, I bet Worldwide Wes could find a way for him to earn his degree in 10 days.

Pretty sure he finished that last year.  He started working on finishing his degree as a grad assistant at Memphis back in 2006 and was on track to finish before Cal took the UK job.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:13 AM »
Disagree, they're taking their time and not panicking into a hire.  Let them spend a few weeks, as they should.  If it doesn't work out, at least they gave it a good shot and can always back into someone they can get today anyway.

How much time does DePaul really need?  They have been planning out a search since mid-January.  Not saying that DePaul should have it done by now, but one would figure they'd actually have some traction and be close at this point, not look completely delusional and caught pantsless by every big name they've allegedly solicited.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »
Pretty sure he finished that last year.  He started working on finishing his degree as a grad assistant at Memphis back in 2006 and was on track to finish before Cal took the UK job.

Is a degree from Memphis recognized by other intitutions?

Actually, if he is now an assitant he must have gotten his degree, before he was a grad assitsnt or something not requiring a degree at Memphis.  Now it all makes sense....Cal took the UK job becuase UK was the only school that recognizes a degree form Memphis
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:21:45 AM by Canadian Dimes »

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
How much time does DePaul really need?  They have been planning out a search since mid-January.  Not saying that DePaul should have it done by now, but one would figure they'd actually have some traction and be close at this point, not look completely delusional and caught pantsless by every big name they've allegedly solicited.

No matter how much sense you make, it doesn't make Chicos point of Marquette screwing up their search because he doesn't feel like they did it the right way. If anything Marquette will be lucky if Buzz can reproduce the track record of TC in 9 years. Also they didn't confer with any of his "buddies" before they made a decision so he didn't have a chance to drop a name on Scoop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »
I have to be honest with you, ten years ago, Rod Strickland would have been the last guy in the world I thought would be a head coach.  He was pretty much your typical NBA millionaire head case.  But if the guy got his degree and has put in his work as an assistant, well...good for him.  Looks like his life with have a better ending than AI's.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:11:28 AM »
I have to be honest with you, ten years ago, Rod Strickland would have been the last guy in the world I thought would be a head coach.  He was pretty much your typical NBA millionaire head case.  But if the guy got his degree and has put in his work as an assistant, well...good for him.  Looks like his life with have a better ending than AI's.

+1

It makes me wonder if it holds true that "once a headcase, always a headcase" or if a guy like Strickland truly has his act together now and could take young headcase and help him through "don't be like me" mentoring.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »
How much time does DePaul really need?  They have been planning out a search since mid-January.  Not saying that DePaul should have it done by now, but one would figure they'd actually have some traction and be close at this point, not look completely delusional and caught pantsless by every big name they've allegedly solicited.

Look at it the other way, what's the hurry?  Their team is a total joke, if players leave the squad is it a negative?  Are any good recruits that are considering DePaul anyway?  They need to take as long as they need to try and get an eye opener.  Why settle now?

It's one thing if your entire recruiting class is hanging in the balance or your top players are going to bolt if you don't lock down a coach, but DePaul isn't in that situation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:40:57 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
Pretty sure he finished that last year.  He started working on finishing his degree as a grad assistant at Memphis back in 2006 and was on track to finish before Cal took the UK job.

I got my info from Dan Wetzel's (yahoo sports) Twitter:

"Alum Rod Strickland is gaining momentum as a candidate at DePaul. NBA star now a UK assistant. Rod Strickland still a couple classes from degree, but NBA pedigree, three years working w DRose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall."

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
I got my info from Dan Wetzel's (yahoo sports) Twitter:

"Alum Rod Strickland is gaining momentum as a candidate at DePaul. NBA star now a UK assistant. Rod Strickland still a couple classes from degree, but NBA pedigree, three years working w DRose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall."

Making those guys look good isn't exactly what I'd call a difficult task.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
Just read on the DePaul board that Dan Bernstein on the Score in CHI is reporting that DePaul is upping the ante to about $2.5-$3 million per for a coach, and the target now is Scott Drew. 

Two more threads down, they're trashing David Haugh for writing in the Chicago Tribune today that the target should be Brian Gregory, stating that Gregory "isn't good enough" for DePaul.

The delusion is incredible.  At this point, they're almost better hoping for a Chris Lowery/Mac Irvin package deal (a la the St. John's Lavin/Leitao/Rohnssen rumored combo) at worst, or just swallow their pride and get a guy like a Tony Jones from Tennessee that can recruit.  That's the only way they can not only get a coach, but players to come to DePaul at this point.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »

That's pretty inaccurate. Hewitt's decision to remain with Georgia Tech had everything to do with Georgia Tech and not St. John's. He has a $7 million buy out clause if he gets fired. So he can easily take that cash and then go out and get another job soon after. There is more to it but thats it in a nut shell.

Also Lavin wants to come here and he's meeting with the AD again tonight in Manhattan. Someone posted before about possible assistant. Slice is a hot name but at this point he's just rumored. Leitao and Jay Williams would be two people who would join Lavin on staff. 
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
Just read on the DePaul board that Dan Bernstein on the Score in CHI is reporting that DePaul is upping the ante to about $2.5-$3 million per for a coach, and the target now is Scott Drew. 

Two more threads down, they're trashing David Haugh for writing in the Chicago Tribune today that the target should be Brian Gregory, stating that Gregory "isn't good enough" for DePaul.

The delusion is incredible.  At this point, they're almost better hoping for a Chris Lowery/Mac Irvin package deal (a la the St. John's Lavin/Leitao/Rohnssen rumored combo) at worst, or just swallow their pride and get a guy like a Tony Jones from Tennessee that can recruit.  That's the only way they can not only get a coach, but players to come to DePaul at this point.

Here's the problem.  They went public with the salary they are offering and said that they are looking for a proven coach.  So if everyone like Drew and Gregory says "no," are they going to give Tony Jones $2.5 million?  I doubt it. 

They are going to come out looking like complete morons if they don't land someone big.  This is why you play your cards close to the vest and not make such bold statements that can bite you in the butt later.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »

Here's the problem.  They went public with the salary they are offering and said that they are looking for a proven coach.  So if everyone like Drew and Gregory says "no," are they going to give Tony Jones $2.5 million?  I doubt it. 

They are going to come out looking like complete morons if they don't land someone big.  This is why you play your cards close to the vest and not make such bold statements that can bite you in the butt later.

They should keep the cards close to the vest, but they also have a PR play they are trying to make which is to tell the city, the media and their fanbase that they are no longer going to go on the cheap.  That they will play to win and will do whatever they can to make DePaul a winner again.

That's the tough spot they are in.  If they play the cards so close that every big name they go after says no and they end up with Tony Jones, then the media, fans, city, etc, say DePaul is not out to win again....they're cheap, etc.

At least now, they can say they gave it their best shot, were willing to pay whatever it took.  Because of the state of DePaul basketball, in my opinion that is the better message to convey at this point. 

As for Brian Gregory, they could do a ton worse than him.  He would not be a bad hire.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »
That's the tough spot they are in.  If they play the cards so close that every big name they go after says no and they end up with Tony Jones, then the media, fans, city, etc, say DePaul is not out to win again....they're cheap, etc.

At least now, they can say they gave it their best shot, were willing to pay whatever it took.  Because of the state of DePaul basketball, in my opinion that is the better message to convey at this point. 

As for Brian Gregory, they could do a ton worse than him.  He would not be a bad hire.

Disagree Chicos. If DePaul doesn't get a big name, all they did was hop up their fanbase (a small, dying one at that) with false hope. Very depressing for a fanbase, especially one that hasn't had much to root for during the past 20 years.

Gregory would be just an ok hire. Yes, he will get DePaul back to being decent, but can turn them into a program that's a consistent tourney team, I doubt it. If I was DePaul and could not lure a big-name coach, I would go the young assistant route.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »
They should keep the cards close to the vest, but they also have a PR play they are trying to make which is to tell the city, the media and their fanbase that they are no longer going to go on the cheap.  That they will play to win and will do whatever they can to make DePaul a winner again.

Chicago sports radio would have a field day if they hired Tony Jones right now.  RJax is right...they raised the sights beyond what is realistic and they are going to look like failures if they don't get what they promised their fans they would.

But I do agree that Gregory would be a good hire.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
What would Chicago radio, the media, etc do if they came out and said NOTHING and hired Tony Jones?

chren21

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
What about Chris Collins to DePaul?  He is local boy and although I played against him in HS and really disliked him I think it could be a good fit...  You would think he has the name and ability to recruit the area??

feedback