Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: CBE in KC this November  (Read 11965 times)

MARQKC

• Starter
CBE in KC this November
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
Marquette plays in the CBE Classic in Kansas City, Mo., on Nov. 22 and 23, 2010. Also in the field: Gonzaga and Two Elite Eight programs: Kansas State and Duke. With this field, including especially Kansas State, which has a deep alumni base in the Kansas City area, demand for tickets will be high.

However, $25, lower level end zone seats are available on a Buy One, Get One Free basis until the end of this season's NCAA Tournament, April 5. Log onto Ticketmaster and enter the promo code MADNESS to take advantage of this discount.

More information: http://www.sprintcenter.com/default.asp?id=87&objid=667

smrunner99

• Starter
Re: CBE in KC this November
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
Just bought 8.  Thanks.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »
wonder how they determine who play who? I dont really like these match ups. We could have two early losses.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
I would love to see the Jesuit matchup of MU/Zags.  I would imagine they would want a Duke/K-State final though so I have a feeling we'll see either Duke or K-State to start it off. 

Duke is losing a lot of some key seniors so we will possibly catch them early in a rebuilding/reloading year.  Especialy if Singler goes to the draft early or if Nolan Smith leaves early.  K-State will be tough given their proximity to KC though. 

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »
I would love to see the Jesuit matchup of MU/Zags.  I would imagine they would want a Duke/K-State final though so I have a feeling we'll see either Duke or K-State to start it off. 

Duke is losing a lot of some key seniors so we will possibly catch them early in a rebuilding/reloading year.  Especialy if Singler goes to the draft early or if Nolan Smith leaves early.  K-State will be tough given their proximity to KC though. 

I recall there ar set-up games the week before this tournament. I think MU/Zag/K-State/Duke each host at their home courts, but then these four "advance" to Kansas City. Records in those games might determine "seeding" in Kansas City. But maybe not. Does anybody know? I suspect, though, as suggested, that the TV folks will be itching for a matchup of the Elite Eight schools on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, so we'll probably get either Duke or K-State on Monday.

And, yeah, this will be a virtual home game for K-State. They just about fill up the Sprint Center (about 18K) every November vs. a pre-conference-season cupcake. With the Dukies in town, I'm imagining a full house both nights.

As part of this tournament, Warrior Coach Tex Winter is to be honored at a program on Sunday night. Also, the Marquette Club of KC is working with the alumni engagement office to try to make some other stuff happen that weekend.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
I can't believe Singler is only a junior.

It seems like he has been there for 6 years already...................

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
I can't believe Singler is only a junior.

It seems like he has been there for 6 years already...................

Any chance that he or Smith would leave early?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
There is a great chance that atleast 1 of them bolts

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »
Good find on that one. A friend and I just got our tickets for it.  This kinda got me excited a bit more for next year, although it is kinda like a smack in the face because 1 team is still playing, another lost this weekend, and it feels like our season has been over for a long time.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
I was just looking at the ticket page.  Decent lower level seats available for $12.50 with the 2-for-1 discount.  And if you are willing to drop some money, you can get courtside seats for $500 and seats on the baseline for $250.  That's still pricey, but you don't often even get a chance to buy those type of seats.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
Thought about the court-side seats, but just nabbed 4 via this deal.  Thanks for posting, since I was planning on going anyway!

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
Tickets purchased - thanks for posting this!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
Um...just to make sure...you have to purchase 2 sets of tickets, right?  One set for the 22nd, and another for the 23rd? 

At first I thought I was buying tickets for the whole event, but now that I look back, it looks like I need to order for the 23rd too...right?

Still a great deal, but I want to make sure I'm not ordering more than I need...

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »
I recall there ar set-up games the week before this tournament. I think MU/Zag/K-State/Duke each host at their home courts, but then these four "advance" to Kansas City. Records in those games might determine "seeding" in Kansas City. But maybe not. Does anybody know? I suspect, though, as suggested, that the TV folks will be itching for a matchup of the Elite Eight schools on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, so we'll probably get either Duke or K-State on Monday.

And, yeah, this will be a virtual home game for K-State. They just about fill up the Sprint Center (about 18K) every November vs. a pre-conference-season cupcake. With the Dukies in town, I'm imagining a full house both nights.
As part of this tournament, Warrior Coach Tex Winter is to be honored at a program on Sunday night. Also, the Marquette Club of KC is working with the alumni engagement office to try to make some other stuff happen that weekend.

I don't ever recall K-State playing a neutral site game in KC. I know that KU does every year (lost to UMass two years ago), but don't remember K-State doing it.  In fact - K-State has really struggled to get people to attend their football games in KC.  They weren't able to fill half of Arrowhead against ISU this past fall.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
Um...just to make sure...you have to purchase 2 sets of tickets, right?  One set for the 22nd, and another for the 23rd? 

At first I thought I was buying tickets for the whole event, but now that I look back, it looks like I need to order for the 23rd too...right?

Still a great deal, but I want to make sure I'm not ordering more than I need...

Yes, you have to order separately for both nights. I guess it's a chance you take as to buying tickets for a night if Marquette doesn't play both nights. Not like that's gonna happen!  ;D
The link for the second night is smaller at the bottom of the page.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Yes, you have to order separately for both nights. I guess it's a chance you take as to buying tickets for a night if Marquette doesn't play both nights. Not like that's gonna happen!  ;D
The link for the second night is smaller at the bottom of the page.

Ah thanks...and guaranteed Marquette plays both days.  Well, at least all the previous years of the CBE the second day includes a consolation game, and a championship game!

Also note that last year Iowa lost their two "play-in" games, but still made it to KC  :D
http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbe/cbe09_bracket.pdf

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
I remember watching MU beat Duke 4 yrs ago on ESPN and assuming Duke is in this tourny should be nationally broadcasted right? I hope MU can get a few/lot more games on ESPN/2 this year than the crappy fullcourt.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »
According to last years brackets, all 5 of the 8 "play-in" games were on ESPNU, 1 was on ESPN2.  Then the first day in KC the games were both on ESPN2.  The "final" is also on ESPN2, but the consolation is on ESPNU.

So, good chance we get at least 3 ESPNx games out of this.  Possibly 4.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
I hope we dont pull a Iowa and go 0-4

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
I hope we dont pull a Iowa and go 0-4

If this helps:
The MU track record for games Rocky and I went to this year.. 3-0.. (although all three were OT games).

MU track record for CBE games Rocky and I have gone to: 2-0.

MU track record for elite 8 games Rocky and I have gone to: 1-0.

There were other games we went to in the other years but I am conveniently forgetting them.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
Just bought a couple of tickets for both nights behind the basket in row 5 one night and row 3 the next.  After all of the fees they come out to $22.30/ticket at half off.  Face value is $25.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:41:32 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
We have four tickets, both nights in section 110 - row 8.  The KC Alumni group is a fantastic group of folks, and will certainly welcome everyone to Kansas City.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »
I don't ever recall K-State playing a neutral site game in KC. I know that KU does every year (lost to UMass two years ago), but don't remember K-State doing it.  In fact - K-State has really struggled to get people to attend their football games in KC.  They weren't able to fill half of Arrowhead against ISU this past fall.

I attended a K-State game in the Sprint Center the year it opened and recall that game was well attended.  Thought they played this season, too, but maybe not.

With a new contract for Frank Martin and an Elite Eight season this year, I'm expecting a lot if purple in November.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
I don't ever recall K-State playing a neutral site game in KC.

Got me curious, so I looked it up:

IUPUI vs Kansas State (11/28/09 at Kansas City, Mo. - Sprint Center), Attendance: 7053.
http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3086&SPID=213&DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=204841258

Also played three games in the Big 12 Championship this year, March 11, 12 and 13.

Southern Miss vs Kansas State (12/11/08 at Kansas City, Mo. - Sprint Center), Attendance: 6054.
http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3086&SPID=213&DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=3632112

Florida A&M vs Kansas State (12/17/07 at Kansas City, Mo. - Sprint Center), Attendance: 17699.
http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3086&SPID=213&DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=1353611

Also played one game in the Big 12 Championship, March 13, 2008.

The November and the two December games are billed by the Sprint Center as the "K-State Holiday Classic presented by Subway."  I attended in 2007, when the place was filled. I see now that the crowds dropped off significantly in 2008 and 2009.

stl_warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Thanks for posting this MARQKC !!!  Also, thanks to crackedsidewalks for posting the link to this!!  I just bought tickets for both games.  It was a blast last time when we beat Duke!

feedback