[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does everyone think MU is going to get screwed tomorrow?  (Read 7126 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Does everyone think MU is going to get screwed tomorrow?
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
Or is that just my pessimistic mind set?  I guess I would be ok with anything except an 8/9 with Kansas/Kentucky waiting. There really aren't that many "big" teams that MU would have trouble with.  They have proven they can disrupt most big teams with their speed, however GTech, Fl State, and Wake all have talented size that could cause problems.

Husker4MU

• Starter
Re: Does everyone think MU is going to get screwed tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »
I really hope we get "screwed" with an 11 or 12 seed

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »

Exactly. An 11 seed would be delightful.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:02:14 PM »
In my mind, the only way we get "screwed" is if we don't hear our name called. I'm just happy to be there.
We Are Marquette

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
I'm with Avenue on this. 

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:27:56 PM »
In a word.....yes.  Don't we always.  I noticed Lunardi's latest has MU a 9 seed facing Texas.  Texas as an 8???  That is one 8 seed that I don't think we match up well with.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
In my mind, the only way we get "screwed" is if we don't hear our name called. I'm just happy to be there.

Agree, but we're more screwed as an 8/9 seed. "Screwed," like many said is an 11-12 seed

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 01:45:11 PM »
The seed will be higher than we are expecting, no doubt.  Year after year, it is always worse than what we are anticipating.  An 8 or 9 is a very strong possibility, but hopefully we can move up to a 10 or 11. 

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
In a word.....yes.  Don't we always.  I noticed Lunardi's latest has MU a 9 seed facing Texas.  Texas as an 8???  That is one 8 seed that I don't think we match up well with.

Have you seen Texas lately?  I actually think we would beat them.  It's amazing to me that so many people are already looking past the first round.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »
By the time you get to a the second round there are not many week teams. I would rather lose to a number 1 seed, then lose to a lessor team. If we are in the 8/9 ame, I hope we are the 9 seed. 9 seeds usually beat 8 seeds.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
After reading the last couple weeks how everyone wants an 11-12 instead of 8-9, I can't agree with that logic.  Granted we don't have to matchup with a 1 seed in the 2nd rd, but the competition is much tougher in the 1st round... we are less likely to reach the Sat/Sun games than I think people realize.

As 11/12 seed, we're playing a 17-24th rated team in the 1st rd.  
As 8/9 seed, we'd play a 29-36th rated team.

Does everyone really think that the 5/6 seeds we'd play in the 1st rd are the same level as the 8/9 teams?  Since it's one and done in the ncaa's, I'd much rather have our first game be easier.

This all being said, I think we get a 7 seed.  We didn't have legs last night, and ran out of juice... it's going to happen with a squad like ours for 3 tough games in 3 days.  The big L didn't help matters, but our resume isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Btw, this is the hands-down the best time of the year

leglegle

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
I'd like an 8 as long as we are in the Duke bracket.  Maybe I'm wrong but they don't look that strong. I could eat my words but I like the match-up

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
By the time you get to a the second round there are not many week teams. I would rather lose to a number 1 seed, then lose to a lessor team. If we are in the 8/9 ame, I hope we are the 9 seed. 9 seeds usually beat 8 seeds.

Compleley agree.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »

Took off Thursday and Friday-friend flying in from San Diego (I visited him last year) and all day it is Basketball and Beer. 

That being said, I think we'll get a 10 seed.  And I'll agree with Avenue, I only see being screwed as being out of the tourney-it's all gravy this year.  I thought this was possible, but didn't think we'd be locked for the NCAA tourney at the beginning of the year.
Marquette University, Spring '08

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
I guess I would be ok with anything except an 8/9 with Kansas/Kentucky waiting.

The only place UK will be waiting for MU is the FF if MU ends up as an 8/9.  Kentucky will end up as a #1 in Milwaukee, so there's no chance that MU is placed opposite UK.

My guess is that MU will get the 8/9 opposite Kansas in Oklahoma City.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
I just hope we go to Buffalo  ;D
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
Kentucky is unbeatable, so that's good to hear that we can't play UK if we're an 8/9.   

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »

EXACTLY my thought. 

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
If we are in the 8/9 ame, I hope we are the 9 seed. 9 seeds usually beat 8 seeds.

According to this website, statistically, 9 seeds win EXACTLY 50% of the time.  So much for that theory...
http://mcubed.net/ncaab/seeds.shtml

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
The seed will be higher than we are expecting, no doubt.  Year after year, it is always worse than what we are anticipating.  An 8 or 9 is a very strong possibility, but hopefully we can move up to a 10 or 11. 

Actually, we would be moving down to a 10 or 11, not up.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
Just come to Providence.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
Everyone should be grateful we are in the show. Geez! ::)

Reading comprehension is not your friend.  Try again. 

The point I made in my post above it is a lot easier to beat a 8 or 9 seed in the first round, than it is to beat a 5 or 6 seed.  It had nothing to do with just being happy being in the tournament.

Geez  ::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
After reading the last couple weeks how everyone wants an 11-12 instead of 8-9, I can't agree with that logic.  Granted we don't have to matchup with a 1 seed in the 2nd rd, but the competition is much tougher in the 1st round... we are less likely to reach the Sat/Sun games than I think people realize.

As 11/12 seed, we're playing a 17-24th rated team in the 1st rd.  
As 8/9 seed, we'd play a 29-36th rated team.

Does everyone really think that the 5/6 seeds we'd play in the 1st rd are the same level as the 8/9 teams?  Since it's one and done in the ncaa's, I'd much rather have our first game be easier.

This all being said, I think we get a 7 seed.  We didn't have legs last night, and ran out of juice... it's going to happen with a squad like ours for 3 tough games in 3 days.  The big L didn't help matters, but our resume isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Completely agree on all points. Complain about the 8/9 after we get annilhilated by a 1.  Not before we even play the other 8/9.  And we should hope for and believe that we deserve the 7, not that we want to get "screwed" to a 10 or 11...sometimes we have the most annoyingly pessimistic fans.

romey

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
I'll say this again.  BEFORE we played Georgetown, was there not a general feeling that we were a seven seed after having just knocked off Villanova and that beating G'town would possibly improve us to a 6 seed?  Also, it was said even a loss would not cause us to slip to an 8 or none?  So now why are so many so pessimistic and not still thinking we deserve a 7?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
If we get in the 8/9 slot, I want to be matched up with Kentucky. We have no business beating Kentucky, but you have to realize that matchup is the most common matchup in the NCAA tourney and MU leads holds a winning record against Kentucky. We have played 14 or 15 times in the tourney and MU was probably the higher rated team ionly 2 or 3 times. So we have a history of beating good Kentucky teams. We would problably get killed, but just having the opportunity to take them down again would be great.