[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is DePaul Really Even A Rival Anymore?  (Read 22395 times)

Sheriff

• Starter
Re: Is DePaul Really Even A Rival Anymore?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
FYI, Loyola of Chicago was the bigger rival in the 1960s and early 70s.  The Ramblers won an NCAA title in the 60s and were beating Marquette in the early 1970s.  The were filling up Chicago Stadium.

Having been to a few games in the old Alimni Gym under the L tracks in Rogers Park in the late 1970's I can tell you that Loyola and DePaul had quite a rivalry back then as well.

Too bad DePaul won't schedule Loyola now.  Competition with the Ramblers is probably more suited for DePaul than Big East play.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
Depaul and St. John's two great programs that have hit rock bottom

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
I'm a transplant cheesehead not a native, grew up in Detroit lived in Chicago and Milwaukee so the perspective is not exactly true cheesehead.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
The Big East needs a strong program in Chicago for marketing purposes.  It would be good for Marquette to have that geographic rival back.

The Big East seems to have done just fine on the exposure front with DePaul licking the rest of the Conference's boots.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
I guess one team took tonight's game a bit more serious and looked at it as a game versus their top rival.  Hhhmmm... I wonder which team that was?

Hat's off to DePaul tonight... they deserved to win.  We couldn't get in a groove and played very FLAT.

A lot of basketball to play but tonight's loss HURT... BAD.  I'm NOW for keeping Junior on the bench until next year... let this team earn their NCAA bid with the current roster.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Now they are

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 07:39:33 PM »
Last night was the 108th meeting between Marquette and DePaul. The are, and always will be, rivals. To say otherwise is to be completely ignorant of the history of the two schools. If you don't think they are rivals, then you didn't watch the game on tv or at the Horizon last night. The fans for both Marquette and DePaul were electric. Small crowd, but absolutely electric.

History of playing each other, proximity, similar Catholic missions, urban schools, conference companions since the days of being independents all make Marquette and DePaul rivals for as long as there is college basketball.

The Packers beat the bears 8 times over 4 years in the mid-90's. Packers vs. Bears is still one of the biggest rivalries in sports. Competitiveness is only one ingredient in what makes a rival.
We Are Marquette

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
I'm old enough to remember playing DePaul when they were good, but now that we are in the Big East, i don't feel any extra juice to face them than if we were playing say St. John's. It's just pretty much another game on the schedule for me.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »
A large part of us FIBS can't stand Cubs fans either 8-)

Sox fans dislike Cubs fans much, much, much more than Brewers fans dislike Cubs fans.
We Are Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
History of playing each other, proximity, similar Catholic missions, urban schools, conference companions since the days of being independents all make Marquette and DePaul rivals for as long as there is college basketball.

No way, there's simply no such thing as an eternal rivalry.  All it takes is one of the school's making the decision to downplay the importance of athletics and the rivalry will fade away.  Don't believe me, just look at our history with Loyola-Chicago.

One could make nearly the exact same argument for them as you are making for MU-DPU.  Proximity, mission, history of playing each other going back to nearly the beginning of the program.  The only thing you don't have is the conference tie in(outside of a few years in the MCC), but Loyola has the Jesuit connection that DePaul doesn't.  And yet, no one even considers them a rival, and we have played them only one time in the past 19 years.  Why?  Because they made the conscious decision that they no longer wanted to compete at the top levels of college basketball, and MU does.  Our diverging paths killed the rivalry.

If one or the other of MU and DePaul ever end up on opposite sides, where one is a high major and the other a mid major at best, the rivalry will fade just like it did with Loyola.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:49:47 PM by bma725 »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
What's a FIB?

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »
Rivalries evolve.  For many who went to MU in the early '80's, DePaul, ND, Dayton, and Creighton were the big rivalry games (Hey, what about Athletes in Action??).

As we went from an independent to conference play, other schools jumped up as rivals including L'ville and Cinn.  Heck, teams like Charlotte and even UAB were begining to fit the role back in CUSA days.

Today, our rivals will always be first our conference foes.  Teams like DePaul, ND, L'ville and Cinn are up on the top of the list due to history + conference affiliation.  Others like our new brothers in the BE (Pitt, GT, Nova) are rising as rivals as we play them 2+ times a year.

I guess that DP will always be a rival as long as they stay in the BE.  If they ever left the BE, they might fall away like our current rivalry status between Dayton and/or Creighton.  Whether they're good, bad or average, teams like DePaul and ND will remain rivals as we continue to see them in the BE standings.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
What's a FIB?

A F**king Illinois Bastard.

A Wisconsinite term for our reckless-driving flatlander neighbors to the south.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
BMA is spot on - I thought Boston College - Holy Cross would be rivals forever.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
No way, there's simply no such thing as an eternal rivalry.  All it takes is one of the school's making the decision to downplay the importance of athletics and the rivalry will fade away.  Don't believe me, just look at our history with Loyola-Chicago.

One could make nearly the exact same argument for them as you are making for MU-DPU.  Proximity, mission, history of playing each other going back to nearly the beginning of the program.  The only thing you don't have is the conference tie in(outside of a few years in the MCC), but Loyola has the Jesuit connection that DePaul doesn't.  And yet, no one even considers them a rival, and we have played them only one time in the past 19 years.  Why?  Because they made the conscious decision that they no longer wanted to compete at the top levels of college basketball, and MU does.  Our diverging paths killed the rivalry.

If one or the other of MU and DePaul ever end up on opposite sides, where one is a high major and the other a mid major at best, the rivalry will fade just like it did with Loyola.

You kind of make my point for me. I noted that both Marquette and DePaul were are and, for the foreseeable future, in the same conference. As long as that is the case, combined with the other factors, Marquette and DePaul will be rivals.
We Are Marquette

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
A F**king Illinois Bastard.

A Wisconsinite term for our reckless-driving flatlander neighbors to the south.

Not reckless.  Just trying to get around the locals driving slowly in the left lane.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »
Not reckless.  Just trying to get around the locals driving slowly in the left lane.

+1, from a Wisconsinite.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&f=2585&t=5574237

They are having the same debate on DePaul's board on whether or not we are rivals.  I didn't realize how much they hated us! 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&f=2585&t=5574237

- When I see a car with a Marquette license plate frame or window sticker, I immediately think less of the driver. Do I try to run him/her off the road? No, because I'm not a psychopath.

- A few weeks ago, I was waiting to pick up a pizza at a suburban Lou Malnati's, and several of the high school kids working there were talking about which colleges they were getting letters from. When one kid said he got accepted to Marquette, I held my tongue. But when he started to try and talk another undecided kid into coming to MU as well, I said "that would be the biggest mistake you could ever make." Then I paid for my pizza and left. 

- If I was stuck on a desert island with access to only one 10-second clip of TV footage that played over and over and over again, I would want it to be of the Marquette players, coaches, and fans at a Selection Sunday party finding out that their NCAA Tournament bubble got popped.

Forget the recent competitive disparity, folks. It's simply the hatred that we have to keep alive.

Wow, that is pretty hostile. I just don't understand the basis.  Now, replace Marquette with UW in any of those sentences and it makes perfect sense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
its cute, thats all it is.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »
Wow, that is pretty hostile. I just don't understand the basis.  Now, replace Marquette with UW in any of those sentences and it makes perfect sense.

sounds like something that would come from a UWM fan.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »

All fixed now.....

[b]- A few weeks ago, I was waiting to pick up a working my job makingpizza at a suburban Lou Malnati's, and several of the high school kids working there were talking about which colleges they were getting letters from. When one kid said he got accepted to Marquette, I held my tongue. But when he started to try and talk another undecided kid into coming to MU as well, I said "that would be the biggest mistake you could ever make." Then quit my job making pizza's and went to McDonald's to fill out an applicationI paid for my pizza and left.  [/b]

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
I'm surprised to see the hatred too.  I always viewed DePaul as sort of a sibling rivalry, since the schools and fan-bases are so similar.  They're just like us, except our rent was cheaper.  I save the hated-rivals tag for UW.

boyonthedock

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »
I hate Notre Dame, and that is probably the most common rival for the current crop of MU students. G'town, Pitt, and Louisville would be the games with a heightened atmosphere with more of respected rival slant, excepting perhaps louisville.

Depaul sucks too bad to care about as a recent-ish follower of MU basketball.

LON

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »

feedback