[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Goodman: MARQUETTE FRESHMAN CADOUGAN CLEARED; BUZZ NOT SURE IF AND WHEN HE'LL PL  (Read 31491 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JakeBarnes

• All American
What's in the article:

Marquette freshman Junior Cadougan, who suffered an Achilles injury back in September that appeared to end his freshman season, practiced for the first time Thursday and could play this season.

``He’s cleared,” Marquette coach Buzz Williams told FOXSports.com. ``We’ll see how he progresses and that will determine whether he plays.”

Cadougan, a Toronto native, was expected to start at point guard this season. Instead, the Golden Eagles have gone with veteran Maurice Acker, who is averaging 7.6 points and 3.2 assists per game this season.

``Nothing is for certain,” Williams added. ``We want to do what’s right for Junior while at the same time doing what’s fair for our program.”

Marquette is 11-6 overall and 2-3 in Big East play after a home victory over Providence on Sunday. The Golden Eagles have lost three Big East games – two against Villanova and one against West Virginia – by a combined five points.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I'll say the same thing I did with Trevor 2 years ago.  If the DOCTORS say he's cleared and the coach AND player want to play, then LET HIM PLAY.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Though I feel inclined to say, "Play him," I - as a fan - feel a healthy Junior will be better for us next year.

I'm sure Buzz and Junior both want to see some PT going to the frosh, but a freak accident or possible reinjury is a huge concern.

I hope Buzz can tell us how Junior's been in practice and if he's 100%/90%/80%70%/etc.
SS Marquette

ATWizJr

• All American
Though I feel inclined to say, "Play him," I - as a fan - feel a healthy Junior will be better for us next year.

I'm sure Buzz and Junior both want to see some PT going to the frosh, but a freak accident or possible reinjury is a huge concern.

I hope Buzz can tell us how Junior's been in practice and if he's 100%/90%/80%70%/etc.

How would you like a healthy Junior next year with half a season's BE experience?  Might that not be worth a year of eligibility?  I think so.

mug644

• All American
I have loads of faith in Buzz to consider the strategic issues--both for this year and the future--in making a final decision about having Cadougan play this year. For example, I read somewhere that it might be best to hold off on Junior playing this year, so he can be a surprise to BEast teams next. Well, I'm guessing Buzz recognizes that it would be a bigger surprise for those teams to see Junior this year, because by next year's BEast season opener, there would be plenty of game film to review in preparation. Right now there is nothing.

Gotta also believe that Buzz is weighing the idea of having Cadougan for 4 years beyond this year. Again, I trust him to be best positioned to decide whether any benefits of having him play this year outweigh benefits of having him here for a 5th year.

I also wonder if Buzz is trying to keep a flame under Acker and Cubillan. No doubt that if Cadougan plays, their minutes go down. They've played well enough overall, but with Buzz's thin margin, he needs to keep them alert. I think they have both played beyond expectations, and the team is clicking right now.

The depth issue does certainly concern me, and having another guard couldn't hurt.

I'm not convinced that Junior can come in and be a critical contributor himself, but his presence might provide valuable breaks to others that are key. Plus, he'd get useful game experience.

If there are no significant worries about reinjury, and Buzz and Junior choose to put him out there, I don't think it makes much sense to second guess it.

4everwarriors

• All American
We shouldn't be discussing topics like this on the board. It will be read by our opponents.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
How would you like a healthy Junior next year with half a season's BE experience?  Might that not be worth a year of eligibility?  I think so.

That's what I'm thinking.  Next year we don't have PG options besides Junior.  It would be nice if he had a few games of experience.  Yeah I know that this means sacrificing the 2013-14 year, but that is a LOOOONNNGGGG way away.  Who knows who Buzz will get by then?

4everwarriors

• All American
The Bucks' medical staff cleared Michael Redd to play also.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
He may be cleared to play, but, IMO, he probably isn't ready. If he was, say 85%, he probably would've seen the court in a 30-point blowout over PC-but alas, he did not.

I have mixed feelings about him playing this year, although an extra body (once he's up to it, he's clearly more than just a body) for February and March Big East games, the Beast tourney, and hopefully the NCAAs would be key. I'd love to see him toss a couple of lobs to Fulce and DJO on Gonzo's boys...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
The Bucks' medical staff cleared Michael Redd to play also.

And? That's related to this how?

muarmy81

• All American
Someone mentioned this on a different thread but does everyone think Junior wants to play for 5 years?  If he's healthy and he wants to play, let him play.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Someone mentioned this on a different thread but does everyone think Junior wants to play for 5 years?  If he's healthy and he wants to play, let him play.

Precisely. That's what its about. If he is able to play, and wants to play, its his decision, and a bunch of 20, 30, 40 year old guys saying he should wait so that we can be better next year or two years from now should frankly be ashamed of themselves for that incredibly selfish attitude.

willie warrior

• All American
If the Drs. give him clearance and weigh the options with him, let Jr. decide.

Kids that age have a remarkable recovery span. My son ruptured his spleen in a HS football game and initially the Dr. said he was done for the season. He came back 5 weeks later and played, although there was a risk. It was his decision, along with guidance from the Dr. and his parents.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LON

• All American
Precisely. That's what its about. If he is able to play, and wants to play, its his decision, and a bunch of 20, 30, 40 year old guys saying he should wait so that we can be better next year or two years from now should frankly be ashamed of themselves for that incredibly selfish attitude.

100% agree.  How would you feel if you were healthy and wanted to go and were told "no" because we want you for the next 4 years instead of 3 1/2...I'd be pretty pissed

Benny B

• All American
For the love of all that is good and holy, LET THE KID PLAY THE GAME.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
If Buzz & Junior really think that Junior would have been a difference maker in the WVU and Nova games, I think they need to take a long look at playing him.

And as far as guys playing their way into Buzz's rotation, Jimmy played 8 minutes in the 5th game of the BE schedule last season.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

kmwtrucks

• All American
I'm fine either way, as long as he does not get hurt again by coming back to quickly.  I am encouraged by the fact that it has healed quickly and that by next year he will be 100%.  I had worried with a injury like this that it might take away quickness and jumping ability.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
I've changed my mind. I would love to see him play this year-just really makes me nervous considering how snakebit this team has been injury-wise.

Badgerhater

• All American
He should only play if he is clearly better than Cubi or Acker with regard to conditioning and understanding of the offense/defense etc.  

MU right operates well because everyone knows what they are supposed to do and where they need to be.  They rely on timing and positioning because of their lack of size.  A healthy Cadougan who is lost out there will impact the other four players far worse than when EWill is out there looking lost.  Can't hide a lost PG.

Big Papi

• All American
Too many factors involved in this desicion that only Buzz, the medical staff, Junior and his Mom can determine what is in fact best for MU and Junior but I think we are all missing the point that this is a HUGE plus for us, no matter the decision.  He will get to, at the very least, practice with this team for the rest of the year.  That experience alone will be a huge benefit for him and the team next year. 

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
By the time he gets in real game shape, too much of the season will have passed for it to be worthwhile.   Don't kill a year of eligibility for a few months of so-so play. 

And the team just isn't that good where he can put them over the top, imo.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Why is everyone assuming that JC will be around for all 4 years of eligibility?

I say play if he wants and Buzz and the Dr.s okay it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
For most players, even some of the top ones, it takes time to relate to the speed of Division I ball. If he plays, Cadougan will have to learn in the toughest environment on our schedule -- Big East play.

Can he penetrate at this level? Can he make those passes out of the lane when the players are 6'9'' instead of the 6'4'' ones he saw in high school? Can he understand the spacing of the offense coming in cold? Can he understand that turning up the tempo in high school is different then when to turn it up in college?

These are the questions Buzz will ask and answer before he decides whether to let the Bulldog roam the court.

Normally, I'd say we're at risk of losing Acker or Cubillan mentally if Cadougan comes back. Not that the Bulldog would play 25 minutes straight away but imagine being in their shoes and the coach decides to play a kid who's never seen the court in college -- and does it in the heart of Big East play.

But those two are seniors and both have been to hell and back in the program and are very strong. I think both realize they have 20 games left in their careers and anything that helps the team is good. Besides, it may also serve to free up their minds a bit and let them play at their relaxed best.

Knight Commission

• All American
Why is everyone assuming that JC will be around for all 4 years of eligibility?

I say play if he wants and Buzz and the Dr.s okay it.

I cant imagine anyone would disagree. It is not and should not be Buzz's decision. Im ok, though, if Buzz tries to influence him based on what is best for the school (whichever way that is).

I cant imagine staying redshirted would be best for him (i.e. forgo a year of pay in Europe or the NBA), unless somehow he can predict that staying the extra year will earn him an NBA contract, where it otherwise wouldn't--which is impossible to predict.

This year we will be a bubble team. Junior could put us over the edge--that is valuable to both the school and Buzz. As such, his contributions will likely be more valuable to us (in terms of revenue) this year, than in 4 years.  

feedback