'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cubillian Player of game Hands DOWN!!  (Read 3716 times)

Mu2323

• Starter
Cubillian Player of game Hands DOWN!!
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »
6-6 3 pt fg Unbelievable performance.

AZWarrior

• All American
Re: Cubillian Player of game Hands DOWN!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
A performance worthy of Sportcenter highlights, fer sure!
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

BostonBaller

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
It is safe to say Cubillian has his stroke back from the double shoulder surgery! Love to see such a nice hardworking senior finally get some respect!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »
Strange....I had read he wasn't Big East caliber.

Nice job Mr. Cubillan

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »
Didn't Jerel set the Big East record last year going 6 for 6 against Cincinnati?  I believe Cubes tied the record.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »
Didn't Jerel set the Big East record last year going 6 for 6 against Cincinnati?  I believe Cubes tied the record.

'Rel was 7-7

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Great to see David back and hitting open threes. God do we need that. And most of all, he's shooting with confidence.

I love this team. Regardless how we end up, they are fun to watch. And I'm really, really looking forward to the next three years. Last year's team we had four guys who could score. Period. This year, we have six that could put up 20 on any given night. Great to see that...height not withstanding.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »
Strange....I had read he wasn't Big East caliber.

Nice job Mr. Cubillan

I was just about to post kudos to you for calling this win. Then I read your first thought after the game and it's this crap. Couldn't you wait a day or two before trying to start a fight or hijacking another post?

Cooby followed one of his best halves ever (2nd vs Villanova) with his best game ever. There's a reason why he's beaten out Acker as the starting point guard even though its not his real position. Let's celebrate his great performance and this big win. Let's hope he continues to play like this and proves he a Big East caliber player.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
It is safe to say Cubillian has his stroke back from the double shoulder surgery! Love to see such a nice hardworking senior finally get some respect!

I wouldnt call that safe to say quite yet. Dont forget, kinsella found his stroke for a while too...

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:42:56 PM »
This is the guy that we remember from his Frosh season
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
'Rel was 7-7

Cubes hit his last two vs. Nova to go with the six tonight.  8 in a row and counting...just not one game.  Impressive none-the-less

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Interesting comments
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
I was just about to post kudos to you for calling this win. Then I read your first thought after the game and it's this crap. Couldn't you wait a day or two before trying to start a fight or hijacking another post?

Cooby followed one of his best halves ever (2nd vs Villanova) with his best game ever. There's a reason why he's beaten out Acker as the starting point guard even though its not his real position. Let's celebrate his great performance and this big win. Let's hope he continues to play like this and proves he a Big East caliber player.

Actually it wasn't my first thought and nothing was hijacked at all.  You are just so damn conditioned it's incredible.  Sigh.  It is interesting to watch fans pound on a player one day and fall in love with him the next.  It's part of being a fan, but I never quite understood it at the college level.  They're kids and the attacks against him and Acker saying they were NOT Big East caliber were terrible and ridiculous.  Never should have happened.  Good for Cubillan to shut their asses up.

And the prediction was fairly easy.  I honestly didn't think it would be this close, but figured more like a 7 to 10 point win.  The Big East is down, many good teams but no great teams.  MU can play with any of them, the game was at home and you could tell the players were just sick of the losing.  Unfortunately, I see a pretty convincing loss to Nova but then two wins which would put us at 3-3. 

By the way, interesting comments from Buzz Williams after the game (please, don't read into them and accuse me of anything, I'm merely pointing out that they are interesting....nothing more)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300070269

Cubillan made all six of his 3-point attempts in 29 minutes. Williams said the senior guard had been in his doghouse last season, but his play against Georgetown brought him to tears in the locker room after the game.

"I had frozen Cubbie out because he didn't take a charge against Tennessee [on Dec. 16, 2008]," Williams said. "I'd never play him again. He was at a point where he was ready to roll and I was at the point where I was ready for him to roll."

After the game against Tennessee, they had a meeting to discuss their relationship.

Williams said he told Cubillan: "'If you'll trust me I'll never betray your trust.' I'm really proud, not that he made the shot, but I'm really proud of the change that he has had and his leadership has been outstanding."

For the game, the Golden Eagles made 12 of 26 3-pointers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Interesting comments
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 12:12:02 AM »
Actually it wasn't my first thought and nothing was hijacked at all.  You are just so damn conditioned it's incredible.  Sigh.  It is interesting to watch fans pound on a player one day and fall in love with him the next.  It's part of being a fan, but I never quite understood it at the college level.  They're kids and the attacks against him and Acker saying they were NOT Big East caliber were terrible and ridiculous.  Never should have happened.  Good for Cubillan to shut their asses up.

And the prediction was fairly easy.  I honestly didn't think it would be this close, but figured more like a 7 to 10 point win.  The Big East is down, many good teams but no great teams.  MU can play with any of them, the game was at home and you could tell the players were just sick of the losing.  Unfortunately, I see a pretty convincing loss to Nova but then two wins which would put us at 3-3. 

By the way, interesting comments from Buzz Williams after the game (please, don't read into them and accuse me of anything, I'm merely pointing out that they are interesting....nothing more)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300070269

Cubillan made all six of his 3-point attempts in 29 minutes. Williams said the senior guard had been in his doghouse last season, but his play against Georgetown brought him to tears in the locker room after the game.

"I had frozen Cubbie out because he didn't take a charge against Tennessee [on Dec. 16, 2008]," Williams said. "I'd never play him again. He was at a point where he was ready to roll and I was at the point where I was ready for him to roll."

After the game against Tennessee, they had a meeting to discuss their relationship.

Williams said he told Cubillan: "'If you'll trust me I'll never betray your trust.' I'm really proud, not that he made the shot, but I'm really proud of the change that he has had and his leadership has been outstanding."

For the game, the Golden Eagles made 12 of 26 3-pointers.

Buzz will often say "So and so is a really good player but an even better person". I think a similar thing can be said about Buzz - He's a really good basketball coach, but he's an even better human being. I come away thinking this most times I hear him speak and this is no exception.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
The funny thing is he wasn't even on the text-to-vote on who should be player of the game. Yet, he won it anyways.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
The funny thing is he wasn't even on the text-to-vote on who should be player of the game. Yet, he won it anyways.

Yeah at least they realized the oversight and gave him the player of the game.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
I voted for him

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »

I think they just have a standard screen that they put up, because you have to text a name to a number, not text to a specific number to vote.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »

They create the graphic with the options before the game so they have to guess who will be the best players that day because only a certain number of names will fit on the screen.

If they just had people text in the player's uniform number to the number given that might help things.