[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DeCourcy weighs in...  (Read 5716 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
DeCourcy weighs in...
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
...and gets it wrong! He writes that today's signing of Jones is proof Buzz can recruit beneath the long shadow of Tom Crean. I think the real story is that, unlike II,II, Buzz can string together stellar recruiting classes. I seem to recall DeCourcy and the Buffoon of Bloomington were buds.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheRecruitnik/entry/view/42801/in_jamail_jones,_marquette_lands_key_program-building_recruit

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
Re: DeCourcy weighs in...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
Ha, I liked your comment posted underneath his story. Gee, I wonder if he'll respond :-X

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:50 PM »
Ha, I liked your comment posted underneath his story. Gee, I wonder if he'll respond :-X

He's responded to me many times over the years via email.  Send him an email and I'll bet he responds...be nice and your chances are infinitely higher.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:50:49 PM »
DeCourcy deserves to be called out. His premise is that It's Indiana is so great and casted such a huge shadow that Buzz may not be able to overcome the greatness that is Tanned Tommy. No mention of last year's class or Vander Blue. I know that sports journalists get more latitude than guys on the city desk but DeCourcy's objectivity is clouded by his butt brother friendship with It's Indiana.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
What was ranking of Jimmy Butler as a juco player?  Wasn't Chris Otule a 3 star recruit?  I also recall Joe Fulce having a rather high ranking out of high school ( prior to his long journey to high DI).  I think an arguement could be made for three straight years of highly ranked recruiting class.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:29:53 PM by westcoastwarrior »

LON

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:16:59 AM »
But then your facts would tangle up the spin machine...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »
What was ranking of Jimmy Butler as a juco player?  Wasn't Chris Otule a 3 star recruit?  I also recall Joe Fulce having a rather high ranking out of high school ( prior to his long journey to high DI). I think an arguement could be made for three straight years of highly ranked recruiting class. 

You would be wrong. That arguement cannot be made.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
I don't know if you could term the 08-09 class as "highly ranked" but it certainly was solid to say the least; not to mention that considering the circumstances, it speaks volumes for Buzz that he was able to recruit/retain some talent after the abrupt departure of TC.  
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
Buzz wasn't named head coach until April 2008. MU's recruiting class had been completed the previous November under our old coach. The class included Tyshawn Taylor, Nick Williams, Joe Fulce and Chris OTule. We lost Taylor to Kansas (his dream school) and Williams followed TC to Indiana (our good fortune). Buzz convinced Fulce and OTule to honor their committments. He then sifted through the dregs of the unsigned and found a true diamond in the rough in Jimmy Butler. So Butler IS Buzz's first recruiting class - an outstanding late signing after years of failures in the spring under Crean. Last year Buzz and TC both had tons of playing time to offer and had very good (and essentially equally rated) recruiting classes. This year Buzz has signed a top 30 and a top 70 player. Crean inked some guy barely rated in the top 150. All this has occured while TC was enjoying the myriad advantages associated with Indiana. To suggest that Jones somehow brings Buzz out of the shadow cast by the great TC is nonsense. Everything we've seen since day one indicates that Buzz stands taller and casts a larger shadow than TC as a recruiter, coach and person.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »
My allegiance is 100%  Marquette.  I did not think DeCourcy was belittling Buzz at all.  Whenever a successful head coach leaves (and as much as we distain Crean he did raise the Marquette Basketball program), everyone wonders if the successor will be as successful as the predecessor.  I think DeCourcy calls that out.  Yes, Buzz had a great first year recruiting class that DeCourcy overlooked.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:56:29 AM by NCMUFan »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 09:39:54 AM »
Buzz wasn't named head coach until April 2008. MU's recruiting class had been completed the previous November under our old coach. The class included Tyshawn Taylor, Nick Williams, Joe Fulce and Chris OTule. We lost Taylor to Kansas (his dream school) and Williams followed TC to Indiana (our good fortune). Buzz convinced Fulce and OTule to honor their committments. He then sifted through the dregs of the unsigned and found a true diamond in the rough in Jimmy Butler. So Butler IS Buzz's first recruiting class - an outstanding late signing after years of failures in the spring under Crean. Last year Buzz and TC both had tons of playing time to offer and had very good (and essentially equally rated) recruiting classes. This year Buzz has signed a top 30 and a top 70 player. Crean inked some guy barely rated in the top 150. All this has occured while TC was enjoying the myriad advantages associated with Indiana. To suggest that Jones somehow brings Buzz out of the shadow cast by the great TC is nonsense. Everything we've seen since day one indicates that Buzz stands taller and casts a larger shadow than TC as a recruiter, coach and person.

Both Fulce and Otule were Buzz recruits. Neither of them were going anywhere, even after TC left.  There wasnt much "convincing" that needed to take place.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 09:48:18 AM »
You guys really need to get over TC.

This article paints Buzz and MU is a very positive light, and all you can focus on is TC, and how how DeCourcy is somehow slighting Buzz.

For those who didn't click the link, here is the exact blog/story in question.

Some of you guys are way to sensitive.  ::)

Jamail Jones does not bring along the same recruiting prestige that Wesley Matthews or Dominic James did when they signed at Marquette, and it's highly unlikely he has the same sort of "sleeper" potential as Dwyane Wade.

But Jones is an important recruit for Marquette because he helps to demonstrate coach Buzz Williams can land coveted recruits for the Golden Eagles in the post-Tom Crean era. Jones is a consensus top-100 type, a 6-6 wing ranked as high as 61st in the nation, by ESPNU. Marquette announced Wednesday morning it had received Jones' signed letter of intent.

Jones averaged 17 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists last season at Green Forest Christian Academy in Decatur, Ga. He is at Monteverde Academy this season.

"From the very first time I met Jamail, I genuinely appreciated his spirit," Williams said in the release announcing Jones' signing.  "In many ways, he reminded me of Wesley Matthews during that initial encounter. He has an outgoing personality, he is confident in who he is, yet humble and thankful for where he is. His parents and coaches have been perfect role models for him and within minutes he is someone you want to root for on and off the floor."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »
My allegiance is 100%  Marquette.  I did not think DeCourcy was belittling Buzz at all.  Whenever a successful head coach leaves (and as much as we distain Crean he did raise the Marquette Basketball program), everyone wonders if the successor will be as successful as the predecessor.  I think DeCourcy calls that out.  Yes, Buzz had a great first year recruiting class that DeCourcy overlooked.  

I agree. There's no denying that Buzz was pretty much an unknown quantity when hired by MU. I think he's simply pointing out that it's "so far, so good."

Incidentally, Crean was a much higher profile hire when he came to MU, as was Mike Deane, O'Neill and Dukiet. I think DeCourcy was being complimentary and simply giving Buzz his due.

I also agree with warhog, however. The idea that Buzz has large shoes to fill is nonsense. If Crean's shoes were tough to fill, it's because he's such a Bozo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »
You guys really need to get over TC.

This article paints Buzz and MU is a very positive light, and all you can focus on is TC, and how how DeCourcy is somehow slighting Buzz.

For those who didn't click the link, here is the exact blog/story in question.

Some of you guys are way to sensitive.  ::)

Jamail Jones does not bring along the same recruiting prestige that Wesley Matthews or Dominic James did when they signed at Marquette, and it's highly unlikely he has the same sort of "sleeper" potential as Dwyane Wade.

But Jones is an important recruit for Marquette because he helps to demonstrate coach Buzz Williams can land coveted recruits for the Golden Eagles in the post-Tom Crean era. Jones is a consensus top-100 type, a 6-6 wing ranked as high as 61st in the nation, by ESPNU. Marquette announced Wednesday morning it had received Jones' signed letter of intent.

Jones averaged 17 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists last season at Green Forest Christian Academy in Decatur, Ga. He is at Monteverde Academy this season.

"From the very first time I met Jamail, I genuinely appreciated his spirit," Williams said in the release announcing Jones' signing.  "In many ways, he reminded me of Wesley Matthews during that initial encounter. He has an outgoing personality, he is confident in who he is, yet humble and thankful for where he is. His parents and coaches have been perfect role models for him and within minutes he is someone you want to root for on and off the floor."

Let's see. DeCourcey decides to focus on the importance of Jamail Jones to the Marquette program, saying it "demonstrates that Buzz Williams can land coveted recruits...in the post Tom Crean era". Of course, Jones doesn't bring the "recruiting prestige that Wesley Matthews or Dominic James did". And, in another news flash, he won't be as good as Dwyane Wade. Well, in case DeCourcey (or you for that matter) wasn't paying attention, Buzz Williams has proven outside of Jones that he can recruit top players. Junior Cadougan was rated higher than Matthews and Maymon was seen as at least his equal. Vander Blue is rated higher than James. So why does DeCourcey use Jones instead of Cadougan or Blue or Maymon as the measuring stick? Because it conveniently fits his "my buddy TC was sooo wonderful and difficult to replace" narrative - and would instead show that MU hasn't even skipped a beat in the "post TC era". In fact, the situation improved almost immediately.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »

Let's see. DeCourcey decides to focus on the importance of Jamail Jones to the Marquette program, saying it "demonstrates that Buzz Williams can land coveted recruits...in the post Tom Crean era". Of course, Jones doesn't bring the "recruiting prestige that Wesley Matthews or Dominic James did". And, in another news flash, he won't be as good as Dwyane Wade. Well, in case DeCourcey (or you for that matter) wasn't paying attention, Buzz Williams has proven outside of Jones that he can recruit top players. Junior Cadougan was rated higher than Matthews and Maymon was seen as at least his equal. Vander Blue is rated higher than James. So why does DeCourcey use Jones instead of Cadougan or Blue or Maymon as the measuring stick? Because it conveniently fits his "my buddy TC was sooo wonderful and difficult to replace" narrative - and would instead show that MU hasn't even skipped a beat in the "post TC era". In fact, the situation improved almost immediately.

We'll have to just agree to disagree.

I didn't read that much into it.

A lot of schools can fall off after a successful coach leaves. DeCourcey simply wrote about how MU and Buzz are doing well post TC.

Replace the words "Crean" with "Monson" and "Williams" with "Few" and I bet you can find a similar article from 6 or 7 years ago.

This isn't groundbreaking territory. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »
What was ranking of Jimmy Butler as a juco player?  Wasn't Chris Otule a 3 star recruit?  I also recall Joe Fulce having a rather high ranking out of high school ( prior to his long journey to high DI).  I think an arguement could be made for three straight years of highly ranked recruiting class.  

If Otule was a three star recruit then the ratings are a joke,

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:47 PM »

I don't think Otule was a 3 star. didn't he shoot up 8 inches during high school?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »

Otule was a 2 star on both Rivals and Scout.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »

Otule was a 2 star recruit.  Fulce was not a highly ranked player coming out of high school or prep school, most thought him going to Texas A&M as originally planned was a bit of a reach.  No one really does thorough rankings of JUCO players, especially first year JUCO players, so it's tough to say where Butler and Fulce were ranked.  Clark Francis had them pretty high, but his ranking was such a mess there's no way to trust it.