[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Bands  (Read 26850 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: MU Bands
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »
Simon & Garfunkel appeared at the old gym in the mid sixties

Simon sans Garfunkel was phenomenal in Central Park back in the summer of 1991.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 08:13:56 AM »
Southbound is still playing .. I booked them for our 4th of July in WFB.  C'mon down.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
I went to MU from 89-93.  I played in the MU based band "Secret Goldfish".  A friend from the MU days pointed me to this site.  MU has always had great, fun bands.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but I had a blast listening to and playing shows with several talented musicians from the late 80's and early 90's.  Plus the free beer (being a broke college kid) made playing out that much more fun!

Some of my favorites:
1. Big Sky (Peter Mulvey and Joe Panzetta still out there playing today).
2. R. Mutt
3. Surrender Dorothy
4. West Of Everywhere
5. Blue Utah
6. Big Mother Gig
7. Ventriloquist Cat
8. Richards Himself Again
9. Double Take

The cool thing about these bands...most, if not all of them wrote their own songs and put out tapes and CDs.  I still enjoy listening to those tracks today.

I saw a few posts regarding Pearl Jam.  They played the Varsity Theatre. My buddy and I were local "roadies" for the band.  We drove them around town, to music stores and their hotel (they stayed at the Pfister).  MU booked Pearl Jam just before the album "10" took off.  Pearl Jam was playing venues much larger (and for more money) by the time the rolled into Milwaukee.  MU got very lucky...the band almost cancelled the show when they realized the varsity theatre had seats that could not be removed!  This was one of the first shows at MU that required an MU ID to get in due to the band's popularity.  A very cool moment in MU Concerts. MU always did a great job booking bands and the students did a great job forming bands (not sure where the MU bands play today...there aren't too many bars left in the MU neighborhood that can handle live music) and putting on shows.  Most important...the general student population supported their friends which made the whole "Marquette Music Scene" an awesome thing.  And Jiggles Fest?...that is a weekend I'd go back to the late 80" for in a heartbeat!

Great post - I was MU 90-94, and every band on that list and the PJ show are still vivid memories. 

I was playing R*Mutt about a week ago!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
I went to MU from 89-93.  I played in the MU based band "Secret Goldfish".  A friend from the MU days pointed me to this site.  MU has always had great, fun bands.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but I had a blast listening to and playing shows with several talented musicians from the late 80's and early 90's.  Plus the free beer (being a broke college kid) made playing out that much more fun!

Some of my favorites:
1. Big Sky (Peter Mulvey and Joe Panzetta still out there playing today).
2. R. Mutt
3. Surrender Dorothy
4. West Of Everywhere
5. Blue Utah
6. Big Mother Gig
7. Ventriloquist Cat
8. Richards Himself Again
9. Double Take

The cool thing about these bands...most, if not all of them wrote their own songs and put out tapes and CDs.  I still enjoy listening to those tracks today.

I saw a few posts regarding Pearl Jam.  They played the Varsity Theatre. My buddy and I were local "roadies" for the band.  We drove them around town, to music stores and their hotel (they stayed at the Pfister).  MU booked Pearl Jam just before the album "10" took off.  Pearl Jam was playing venues much larger (and for more money) by the time the rolled into Milwaukee.  MU got very lucky...the band almost cancelled the show when they realized the varsity theatre had seats that could not be removed!  This was one of the first shows at MU that required an MU ID to get in due to the band's popularity.  A very cool moment in MU Concerts. MU always did a great job booking bands and the students did a great job forming bands (not sure where the MU bands play today...there aren't too many bars left in the MU neighborhood that can handle live music) and putting on shows.  Most important...the general student population supported their friends which made the whole "Marquette Music Scene" an awesome thing.  And Jiggles Fest?...that is a weekend I'd go back to the late 80" for in a heartbeat!

I remember it was either R. Mutt or Surrender Dorothy playing at a house party on Kilbourn during Senior Week 1991.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »
Southbound is still playing .. I booked them for our 4th of July in WFB.  C'mon down.

Scoop party at your crib?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2014, 09:23:02 PM »

Couldn't get Snopek, eh?

I'll bring the chili.

BTW, had lunch today at the Nook....across the street from your alma mater.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:41 PM »
My brother is an MU '93 grad and I remember him telling me he went to see them at the ASMU and that it was a hot ticket on campus.

Pearl Jam was March of 92 and was at the Varsity Theater.  The entire concert is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzfL51ntNJU

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
Scoop party at your crib?

Unfortunately, I'll be at the park all day, bossing people around.  -- Hah, just remembered a MU/4th of July story.  I saw Joe Nethen there about 5 years ago.  I looked at him and said, "Hey, aren't you Joe Nethen?  We lived at McCormick at the same time.."  His first word were something like "hey, I didn't hurt you or nothin, did I?  Sorry."

I don't think I ever set foot in there.  RanHam bowling, yeah.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »
Pearl Jam was March of 92 and was at the Varsity Theater.  The entire concert is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzfL51ntNJU
Cheers for the link - audio is surprisingly good.  Pretty sure I saw the back of my head on one of the zooms.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
Here I thought this thread was about Wm. J. Geisheker and the Pep Band. Silly me
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »

I don't think I ever set foot in there.  RanHam bowling, yeah.

I was also at the Nook yesterday for lunch...GD.  The new owners of the Nook also own RanHam now and they have a dumb waiter(I think?) to deliver food to the alley.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
I think the Violent Femmes played in AMU back in the early 80's

I was a little intoxicated most of the time so it may have also been Weird Al
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:08:36 PM by PBRme »
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:49 AM »
Hey almost new grads and recent grads.

Any cool bands play at MU during your time there?
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
I think the Violent Femmes played in AMU back in the early 80's

I was a little intoxicated most of the time so it may have also been Weird Al

I agree with you, too many here are not old enough to remember the Femmes shows back in the day.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2015, 11:28:59 AM »
Simon & Garfunkel appeared at the old gym in the mid sixties

Didn't the Four Seasons (The Jersey Boys) perform at the Old Gym as well around 65-66?

feedback