[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU officially making the "jump" to Jumpman ...  (Read 20293 times)

jimmyrizzle

• Walk-On
MU officially making the "jump" to Jumpman ...
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:48:45 PM »
Per DJO and Buycks on Facebook.

GGGG

• All American
Re: MU officially making the "jump" to Jumpman ...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »
Why do we feel it necessary to follow whatever Wade does in this regard?  Does Wade insist on something that really benefits us as part of his deal, or do we just want to keep that link going?

I really hope they keep the same look to the jerseys though.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »
Are you kidding Sultan this is a huge step up for MU basketball. I believe only 4 other college bball teams wear Jordan brand: Georgetown, UNC, Cal and North Carolina A&T. Why would we stick with Converse when we have the highest profile name in the business to go to. I agree the Converse jerseys are sick, but I can only dream what the Jordan brand will look like.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:23:51 PM »
Couldn't agree more with AWEGZ.  Having the jumpman logo on our jerseys would put us into an elite category.  And it also wouldn't hurt on the recruiting front!! 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »
Are you kidding Sultan this is a huge step up for MU basketball. I believe only 4 other college bball teams wear Jordan brand: Georgetown, UNC, Cal and North Carolina A&T. Why would we stick with Converse when we have the highest profile name in the business to go to. I agree the Converse jerseys are sick, but I can only dream what the Jordan brand will look like.

Shouldn't NC A&T, Cal and even G'Town be better with this magical elixir that the Jordan brand provides?     ;)

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:44:22 PM »
I don't the "jump" will make that big of a difference.  I can't see a big recruit making his decision on where to play based on whether the jerseys are branded by Nike, the Jumpman brand, Under Armour, etc.  I think it will help MU move some more jerseys though, and more $$$ is always a good thing, except if you are Tim Floyd. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
Wow.. right up there with North Carolina A&T!  Not just anyone can get these jerseys.. how sweet!

Plus, we get to emulate Georgetown now.. wow.. maybe we can get together with them and drink hot cocoa after games.. throw in a little kumbaya..  hold hands and walk through the park.. how nice!  Definitely a huge step for us.

Personally I'm there to watch a good game and lose my voice cheering.  Throw in a beer or two and a few dozen more afterwards (particularly after the rare losses) and it's all good.  I really don't care what the kids wear as long as they play well wearing it and it says MU on it somewhere prominently.  Having said that, it's a slow summer so far so can we petition to ditch the powder blues?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 11:33:44 PM »
Wow.. right up there with North Carolina A&T!  Not just anyone can get these jerseys.. how sweet!

Plus, we get to emulate Georgetown now.. wow.. maybe we can get together with them and drink hot cocoa after games.. throw in a little kumbaya..  hold hands and walk through the park.. how nice!  Definitely a huge step for us.

Maybe we should do a little more emulating of Georgetown, if you haven't noticed they have one of the most recognizable college basketball lines in the country. The same can't be said for us yet. And if you don't think shoe contracts, uniforms and the like have an effect on a program's national image then you are ignorant. But go ahead and be cynical if that is the worldview you prefer.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:34 AM »
Maybe we should do a little more emulating of Georgetown, if you haven't noticed they have one of the most recognizable college basketball lines in the country. The same can't be said for us yet. And if you don't think shoe contracts, uniforms and the like have an effect on a program's national image then you are ignorant. But go ahead and be cynical if that is the worldview you prefer.

Yes, but much of that was driven by gangsta hip hop nonsense that didn't exactly paint the image of the school very well. 

The Georgetown "G" stood for Gangsters for many of these people.

Hoyas stands for "Hoovers on your ass"

BostonBaller

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:18:46 AM »
Wegz is right on and I think that this could benefit Marquette program with national exposure because in reality no one in our generation knows crap about Marquette outside the Midwest other than D-Wade! Lets make the switch, because who really cares???

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 05:53:40 AM »
This will be a good move.  Since DWade still has creative control on "his stuff" I don't think the uniforms will change that much and if they do you can see that Carolina still uses the baby-blues so I don't foresee MU loosing the retro look we have now.

As for moving into the company of Cal, UNC, and GTown...for many kids, Jumpman is held in higher regard than Converse.  I hate to be the one to break it to the older guys but you see more Jumpman clothing (and school merchandise for that matter) in more of the chain - clothing stores than you find Converse clothing.  Converse just hasn't been cool since the early 80's.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:28:12 AM »
Wanna sell more MU stuff? Put Warriors on the front of the unis.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:55:49 AM »
Clearly some people place more importance than I do on this, but it clearly can't hurt.  I also get the impression that Wade insisted on this as part of his deal.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Converse just hasn't been cool since the early 80's.

Actually Converse is extremely popular - just not as sport apparel. It is now a lifestyle brand much like Puma.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »
this is good for the school if we move to jumpman, but i guess i don't see how its good for wade. he had his own brand and he pretty much owned Converse. now he's lumped in with Melo and CP3 and Jeter... i guess i just kind of liked the idea that Brand Wade and MU were exclusive. Oh well, Jumpan is better for the program in just about every way.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 08:20:19 AM »
Actually Converse is extremely popular - just not as sport apparel. It is now a lifestyle brand much like Puma.

Very true... which is why it wouldn't shock me if Converse drops its updated basketball shoe line in the next couple of years.

The retro and lifestyle stuff is great. Their new basketball shoes have been average. I was hoping they could build momentum by adding more schools and creating a great retro line featuring of schools, uniforms and shoes, but it hasn't happened.

I'm not a huge fan of Jumpman, but it is more well known in modern day than Converse.

Is St. John's still with Jumpman? Weren't they for a while?

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »
Will they have a clearence sale on the basketball jerseys and shorts? Because I want to get myself both.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »
John  Varvatos is designing shirts for Converse. Just saw $149 shirts yesterday in So Cal

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
As long as we have BABY BLUES I will be happy. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »
As long as we have BABY BLUES I will be happy. 
As long as they don't actually wear them, I will be happy.   ;D

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
Just as a reminder, if you get the shorts, and are under 6'2", get a small, they are wicked long, but extremely comfortable.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 11:19:35 AM »

Fair point but what do we wear on the court?  We're not rockin' skechers or "soccer" Pumas that's for sure.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
Fair point but what do we wear on the court?  We're not rockin' skechers or "soccer" Pumas that's for sure.

That wasn't the point - it was about branding. Which is what I went with. You said popularity - and that is measured in brand strength.
But I like to throw handfuls...

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
Will they have a clearence sale on the basketball jerseys and shorts? Because I want to get myself both.

Just FYI, I was in there last week and they didn't have any shorts or jerseys left in the adult sizes. Although it looks like the website still has a few shorts and one jersey left in XL and XXL:

http://shop.marquette.edu/32_Twill_Replica_Jersey_p/18707.htm
http://shop.marquette.edu/Converse_Replica_Player_Shorts_White_p/17444.htm
http://shop.marquette.edu/Converse_Replica_Player_Shorts_Valour_Blue_p/18708.htm
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »
Clearly some people place more importance than I do on this, but it clearly can't hurt.  I also get the impression that Wade insisted on this as part of his deal.

It was actually part of the contract MU set-up with Converse. If Wade ever moved, MU had the option of jumping Converse and joining his new brand. Considering Jumpman and Converse live under the same roof, it was a no brainer move.