[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

NCAA Ticket Strategy by MU82
[March 18, 2024, 10:06:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer to be named head coach at Liberty  (Read 21917 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Layer to be named head coach at Liberty
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:03 AM »
Layer to be named head coach at Liberty

According to a report, MU assistant Dale Layer will be named the next head coach at Liberty University.

Layer had been listed as one of five potential candidates for the job in another report on Tuesday.

A news conference announcing the hire could come as early as this afternoon.

Layer was an assistant at Liberty in the 2007-'08 season under then-coach Ritchie McKay, but left to join Buzz Williams' staff when Williams was hired as head coach at MU early last April.

Williams had previously worked as an assistant to Layer at Colorado State.

McKay resigned as Liberty's coach last week in order to join Tony Bennett's staff at Virginia.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42678942.html

muarmy81

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer to be named head coach at Liberty
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
Where's Tulsa Warrior...Get that screen ready!!!

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Layer to be named head coach at Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
Layer to be named head coach at Liberty

According to a report, MU assistant Dale Layer will be named the next head coach at Liberty University.

Layer had been listed as one of five potential candidates for the job in another report on Tuesday.

A news conference announcing the hire could come as early as this afternoon.

Layer was an assistant at Liberty in the 2007-'08 season under then-coach Ritchie McKay, but left to join Buzz Williams' staff when Williams was hired as head coach at MU early last April.

Williams had previously worked as an assistant to Layer at Colorado State, from 2000-'04.

McKay resigned as Liberty's coach last week in order to join Tony Bennett's staff at Virginia.

Layer was the most experienced of Williams' assistants, and the only one who'd previously served as a head coach.

Expect Williams to be looking for similar bench experience during his search for Layer's replacement.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42678942.html

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
Do you guys just realized what just happened.  This just boggles the mind :-\

Marquette lost a assistent coach to Jerry Falwell University and it is in the Big South Conference!!  This is really bad news because its well Jerry Falwell University.

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
Looking forward to Tulsa Warrior's youtube video :)

Tulsa Warrior
Starter

Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer a candidate at Liberty
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:32 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this on the other board as well.  Look, I've worked in the media market where Liberty University is located.  I know the beat reporters.  The Layer name was just thrown in -- he is not a candidate and I doubt he would consider it if approached.  I will eat my computer video, tape the act and post it on YouTube if this happens.

Once a warrior always a warrior.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
I hope he's got something to wash that computer down with.  That's gonna hurt on the way down.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
Layer was the one assistant I didn't want to lose.  He's a very good offensive coach.  Benford and Aki haven't impressed me as much.   Oh well, Congrats Dale and better luck on the second go around. 

Any implications for Aaron Bowen?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:54:04 AM »
JD, can I send you some of Milwakee's best brew to wash down your meal?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
Layer was the one assistant I didn't want to lose.  He's a very good offensive coach.  Benford and Aki haven't impressed me as much.   Oh well, Congrats Dale and better luck on the second go around. 

Unless you were directly behind the bench most games, how could be impressed/unimpressed by assistant coaches? Do you know the input given? What it relates to? Benford is a stud when it comes to recruiting, and most around the program were more worried about him getting a HC job this year.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just really curious how you came to this.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »
Do you guys just realized what just happened.  This just boggles the mind :-\

Marquette lost a assistent coach to Jerry Falwell University and it is in the Big South Conference!!  This is really bad news because its well Jerry Falwell University.
Ummm.  He gets to be a Div I HC at a school he is already familiar with.  And he is from the area originally and still has a home there.  Why would he not go.  As a former HC, he would obviously rather be a HC than an assistant.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
Thank God Crean isn't still here, otherwise there would be fifty posts on how Crean pissed off the coach so he left.  Just like head coaches, this appears to be the state of NCAA basketball these days... people with very short tenures.  Really a shame.

Just seems like Marquette has no continuity in their coaching staff from year to year.  It would be nice Buzz hired someone who would stick around even five years.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »
Given that Richie McKay just showed the Liberty HC job to be worse than a Virginia assistants job, does that mean that an MU assistants job is now not as good as a UVA assistants job?

Or does the transitive property not work here.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
So, does this officially start the "Buzz Williams Coaching Tree?"

::)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
So, does this officially start the "Buzz Williams Coaching Tree?"

::)
Given that Buzz worked for Layer, I guess this is more of a derivative cross-over planting than a seedling...?  :D

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
Unless you were directly behind the bench most games, how could be impressed/unimpressed by assistant coaches? Do you know the input given? What it relates to? Benford is a stud when it comes to recruiting, and most around the program were more worried about him getting a HC job this year.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just really curious how you came to this.

You're right it would be unfair for me to judge off coaching since I'm not in practice,etc.  Buzz has referred to Layer as the best offensive coach he's ever been around.   But my opinion is based off the recruiting realm.   Jerrance Howard is a recruiting stud.  Not seeing Benford putting marquette in the lead in chicago with a lot of 4 and 5 star players.   I'm probably more irked by the fact we haven't gotten a stud from Chicago coming on 5 years now.   So in Layer we're losing a offensive coaching stud but losing Benford or Collins doesn't seem like it would hurt as much at this point.  Could be way off could be right.  But that's where I'm coming from.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 12:23:16 PM »
You're right it would be unfair for me to judge off coaching since I'm not in practice,etc.  Buzz has referred to Layer as the best offensive coach he's ever been around.   But my opinion is based off the recruiting realm.   Jerrance Howard is a recruiting stud.  Not seeing Benford putting marquette in the lead in chicago with a lot of 4 and 5 star players.   I'm probably more irked by the fact we haven't gotten a stud from Chicago coming on 5 years now.   So in Layer we're losing a offensive coaching stud but losing Benford or Collins doesn't seem like it would hurt as much at this point.  Could be way off could be right.  But that's where I'm coming from.

So "recruiting studs" are only judged by how they do in Chicago?

You need to read up on Benford before you make statements about his recruiting ability, you'd find out that you are dead wrong.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »
Given that Richie McKay just showed the Liberty HC job to be worse than a Virginia assistants job, does that mean that an MU assistants job is now not as good as a UVA assistants job?

Or does the transitive property not work here.

Wasn't McKay named the Associate Head Coach??   ;)  ;D
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
So "recruiting studs" are only judged by how they do in Chicago?

You need to read up on Benford before you make statements about his recruiting ability, you'd find out that you are dead wrong.

BMA, I've read the same articles as you.. I know he supposedly landed Eddie House and Ike but I've also read opinions from Arizona State people that he actually didn't play that big of a part.   His main target area is Chicago, we'll see how he does. Not seeing it yet. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
BMA, I've read the same articles as you.. I know he supposedly landed Eddie House and Ike but I've also read opinions from Arizona State people that he actually didn't play that big of a part.   His main target area is Chicago, we'll see how he does. Not seeing it yet. 

Not talking just about those articles.  Read what the Bullseye brothers have had to say about him.  Read what the Nebraska media had to say about him.  Look at the rankings and the players he recruited at Nebraska.  Look at the interviews we've done on CS when other coaches talk about Benford.

I can tell you that I've had a lot of communication with different AAU coaches around the country trying to get them to do interviews for CS.  While most won't go on the record about these kind of things, every single one of them has made a point to mention Benford and how great of a recruiter he is.  Some have mentioned how shocked they were that he would even come to MU when they figured he would be getting a head coaching job within a year or two if he stayed at Nebraska.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »

What exactly were you expecting from a guy who's been on the job for less than a year?
Outside of Darius Smith, MU was not heavily involved with any Chicago players in the Class of 2009, and no recruiter was going to land Smith at MU after his dream school, UConn, offered a scholarship.
You're essentially bagging on the guy for not landing commitments from players who weren't offered scholarships.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
Obviously I'll give the 2009 class a pass.   But so far in our 10 class we've got a kid Layer got out of Florida and a JUCO.  Not seeing many '10 guys from Chicago listing us on top.  So I have a different opinion from the company line, it's about results.   Might rile feathers b/c I'm not kissing butt of all our guys but I'm calling it like I see it. 

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »
Obviously I'll give the 2009 class a pass.   But so far in our 10 class we've got a kid Layer got out of Florida and a JUCO.  Not seeing many '10 guys from Chicago listing us on top.  So I have a different opinion from the company line, it's about results.   Might rile feathers b/c I'm not kissing butt of all our guys but I'm calling it like I see it. 

You must not follow MU recruiting very closely.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 01:27:40 PM »
You must not follow MU recruiting very closely.
How about you write a post worth something and tell me where I'm wrong. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »

Given that five of the top six 2010 players from Illinois already have given verbal commitments (in most cases many months ago), don't hold your breath.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
Given that five of the top six 2010 players from Illinois already have given verbal commitments (in most cases many months ago), don't hold your breath.

And the guy who's got most of those commitments has earned the right of the label "recruiting stud".   It's about results fellas.  If you want to pump sunshine go ahead hopefully you can handle a different opinion.