[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647882 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1775 on: January 04, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
I was back in the Great State of Wisconsin over Christmas and was driving to Green Bay to visit with friends when we pulled over in Neenah to visit Lion's Tail Brewing
http://lionstailbrewing.com/
Two thumbs up.

The brewery is located in building from the 1890's that used to be an insurance company, which give it a fairly unique ambiance.  The beers were quite good.  They had a pineapple (just the right hint) golden wheat that had been barreled in rum casks for an extra kick, and the Quicksand brown sugar oatmeal stout was good as well.  They were sadly out of the Belgian trappist ale at the moment.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1776 on: January 04, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Edit: Double post.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:07:12 PM by Lazar's Headband »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1777 on: January 04, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »
I was back in the Great State of Wisconsin over Christmas and was driving to Green Bay to visit with friends when we pulled over in Neenah to visit Lion's Tail Brewing
http://lionstailbrewing.com/
They were sadly out of the Belgian trappist ale at the moment.

FYI, there are a limited number of trappist breweries in the world.  The term "trappist" is a specific certification that only 7 breweries have.  Their beer really should be called "Abbey style".

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1778 on: January 05, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
FYI, there are a limited number of trappist breweries in the world.  The term "trappist" is a specific certification that only 7 breweries have.  Their beer really should be called "Abbey style".
I admit, I looked around the brew kettles and saw absolutely zero monks hanging around back there. 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1779 on: January 06, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
I admit, I looked around the brew kettles and saw absolutely zero monks hanging around back there.

And I'm pretty sure they aren't giving their profits away either.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »
Don't have time to go through 72 pages so quickly, when cannonball running from MN back to IL, what do I bring back (i.e. what's a must-have craft/micro sold in stores in MN that's not available in IL)?

e.g. Surly doesn't count because I can get that at Binnys.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1781 on: March 31, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
Don't have time to go through 72 pages so quickly, when cannonball running from MN back to IL, what do I bring back (i.e. what's a must-have craft/micro sold in stores in MN that's not available in IL)?

GrainBelt

Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1782 on: March 31, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »

Stop in WI for New Glarus other than that go to Iowa for the really good Toppling Goliath. Or else, drink local in Chicago. Hailstorm, Brickstone, Pipeworks, Half Acre, Goose, Rev - you're good to go.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1783 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:53 PM »
We get it in WI, so I'm sure you'll get it in IL, but I've enjoyed a few of Fulton's offerings.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1784 on: April 01, 2017, 12:27:35 AM »
go to Iowa for the really good Toppling Goliath.

This.  If you like IPA's you should get some from TG.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: April 01, 2017, 08:16:20 PM »
This.  If you like IPA's you should get some from TG.

But they distribute to Wisconsin as well.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #1786 on: April 01, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
Funny, I saw TG at Trader Joe's on Friday, hadn't seen it before. I will have to give it a try.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: April 04, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
Ended up picking up a Bent Paddle (Golden IPA) - decent but nothing to write home about - and another one that was a perfect balance of quality and memorability... both the beer and my recollection of what it's called was gone within 24 hours.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1788 on: June 27, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
I don't know if any one else in WI has been following the battle between the Tavern League etc. and state's craft breweries/wineries. It seems they suspect the Tavern League might attempt to insert changes to Chapter 125 of WI State code at the last minute of the budget bill process. The changes could force all tasting rooms to be closed. Raised Grain Brewery in Waukesha has penned an open letter mentioning that would probably put them out of business.

Here is a link to the Raised Grain letter which includes a form letter you can send to your reps in Madison (as well as a link to find who your reps are).
http://www.raisedgrainbrewing.com/news-blog/open-letter-opposing-budget-bill-amendments

Friends & Fans,

We did not start Raised Grain with the intent of getting involved in politics. However, we feel that our hand is being forced by the threat of a last minute amendment to this year's State Budget Bill that would jeopardize the very existence of our brewery. Please read below and reach out to your State Representative and urge them to support the craft brewing business in Wisconsin.

The proposed language would "more strictly define" the three-tier system, which consists of manufacturers (breweries big and small), wholesalers/distributors, and retailers (bars/restaurants/liquor stores). If this were to unfold, we could lose our right to self-distribute and our right to have a taproom. Without these avenues, we are unable to build our brand as we choose to.

More importantly, we wouldn't be able to afford the sizable investments we have made in a new building, a shiny new brewhouse, new fermenters, a new canning line and all the other brewery equipment we will be purchasing. We'd close in under a month without taproom revenue.

Raised Grain would be gone. It's that simple.

We are not unique in this situation. There are many other small start-up breweries in Wisconsin that would face the same fate. Probably some mid-to-large craft breweries, too.

The outlook for Wisconsin would be bleak. The trend for craft beer is "local, local, local." If Wisconsin were to lose many of its 140 craft breweries, this would affect so many industries, including tourism (which is partially driven by craft breweries), as well as bars and restaurants that would not have any local beer options to serve.

As we near two years of operations, we have developed strong relationships with nearly 100 bars, restaurants and liquor stores (and counting). We support their growth by supplying them with exciting (fresh) beer choices that help their businesses grow and attract new customers.

We donated over $6,000 worth of goods and services to local charities in our first year of operation. We are on track to double that this year. Again, we are not unique in this regard. Craft breweries play very active roles within their local communities.

Please take the time to voice your opposition to any last-minute amendments to this year's Budget Bill that would so negatively impact Raised Grain, other craft breweries, you as craft beer fans, and the great State of Wisconsin. You can find your State Senator and Representative information on the State of Wisconsin website.

Thank you,

- Raised Grain Brewing Co.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:28:13 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1789 on: June 27, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »

Dangerous Man brewing is fantastic in Minn. I know it is out of season tastewise but their Peanut butter porter is something special. Their other beers are all good too.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: June 27, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
Dangerous Man brewing is fantastic in Minn. I know it is out of season tastewise but their Peanut butter porter is something special. Their other beers are all good too.

My favorites in Minny:

--Steel Toe Brewing in St. Louis Park, MN. Very good IPA (Size 7)
--LTD Brewing in Hopkins, MN. Great selection of beer and a better ambiance than the above
--Inbound Brew Co. in the North Loop (Minneapolis, MN). Dog allowed inside, great selection and food trucks every day
--Able in Northeast (Minneapolis, MN). Very cool space, great IPA and dogs allowed.
--Clockwerks Brewing downtown (Minneapolis, MN). New and I've only been a handful of times, but the beer is great. They reserve a tap for a rotating local homebrew recipe.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1791 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
My favorites in Minny:

--Steel Toe Brewing in St. Louis Park, MN. Very good IPA (Size 7)
--LTD Brewing in Hopkins, MN. Great selection of beer and a better ambiance than the above
--Inbound Brew Co. in the North Loop (Minneapolis, MN). Dog allowed inside, great selection and food trucks every day
--Able in Northeast (Minneapolis, MN). Very cool space, great IPA and dogs allowed.
--Clockwerks Brewing downtown (Minneapolis, MN). New and I've only been a handful of times, but the beer is great. They reserve a tap for a rotating local homebrew recipe.

I'll have to check them out next time I roll through Minneapolis. I only had one day so my time was limited and Surly did a number on me early on.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1792 on: July 06, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »
If you are into sours, had a great one from a brewery in Brookfield the other weekend. It's a sour they produced from their bourbon barrel aged smoked porter (Smokin Gramma, which is also good) called Sour Smokin Gramma. Highly recommended
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1793 on: July 11, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1794 on: August 01, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »
Brewing up a NEDIPA... hope it turns out alright.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1795 on: August 02, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »

New England IPA?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1796 on: August 02, 2017, 12:35:06 PM »

Few questions:

What was your grain bill? Yeast strain? Using hop powder?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1797 on: August 02, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »
New England IPA?

looks like that would be New England Double IPA

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1798 on: August 02, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
Few questions:

What was your grain bill? Yeast strain? Using hop powder?

Mostly UK Pale Ale almost 13lbs.
4oz caravienne
4oz Torrified Wheat

So yeah the grain bill is pretty boring.  I'm not sure why I even bothered adding the caravienne and torrified wheat... since 4 oz???...

Used both American Ale Wyeast 1056 and American Ale II Wyeast 1272... this is because the local brew store was out of the London 3 Wyeast 1318.

currently fermenting like crazy even though its in a 63F basement... 70F on its own.

I did not use hop powder, I have a ton of varieties of hops in this thing... Chinook mostly (out of Simcoe, so I am making do), Centennial, Cascade, Columbus (SUPER INTERESTING HOP), Mandarina Bavaria, Citra...   Some added at knockout, then 30 min steep, and another 30 min steep... plus there will be two seperate dry hop additions... 

OG was a tad low around 1.064... so the ABV shouldn't be as high as I wanted (in fact, I probably shouldn't call it a DIPA at all), but its homebrew and that is what I expect to happen.

Calling this a NEDIPA may be a bit of a stretch, but it will be interesting.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: August 03, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
Mostly UK Pale Ale almost 13lbs.
4oz caravienne
4oz Torrified Wheat

So yeah the grain bill is pretty boring.  I'm not sure why I even bothered adding the caravienne and torrified wheat... since 4 oz???...

Used both American Ale Wyeast 1056 and American Ale II Wyeast 1272... this is because the local brew store was out of the London 3 Wyeast 1318.

currently fermenting like crazy even though its in a 63F basement... 70F on its own.

I did not use hop powder, I have a ton of varieties of hops in this thing... Chinook mostly (out of Simcoe, so I am making do), Centennial, Cascade, Columbus (SUPER INTERESTING HOP), Mandarina Bavaria, Citra...   Some added at knockout, then 30 min steep, and another 30 min steep... plus there will be two seperate dry hop additions... 

OG was a tad low around 1.064... so the ABV shouldn't be as high as I wanted (in fact, I probably shouldn't call it a DIPA at all), but its homebrew and that is what I expect to happen.

Calling this a NEDIPA may be a bit of a stretch, but it will be interesting.

Yeah, it sounds more like an intense DIPA vs. NE since a NE style has almost no bittering. Also, an addition of oats can really help round the body to give it the the creamy texture. One thing to watch when making a NE is that since you leave the yeast in, you need to manage hop additions so it's not too bitter. I asked about hop powder because it can really help you get that juicy character you want from a NE IPA.

Good luck and let us know how your current beer turns out.

feedback