[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647907 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1475 on: May 29, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
Anything you liked in particular from those New England breweries? Looking for a good summer brew available in New England. I think sam summer is solid but nothing too special. I hear good things about harpoon ipa but It's been a while since I've had it. Also a lot of people like allagash white. Anything that stood out to you?

If you're into white ales, Harpoon's UFO White is great.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: May 29, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »
My brother brought over a bottle of 3 Sheeps Roll out the Barrel, a strong Belgian pale ale aged in Chardonnay barrels. This was very good IMO, the chardonnay flavor really pared well with the Belgian yeast flavors.

The 1st 3 Sheeps beer that I really liked.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: May 30, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
My brother brought over a bottle of 3 Sheeps Roll out the Barrel, a strong Belgian pale ale aged in Chardonnay barrels. This was very good IMO, the chardonnay flavor really pared well with the Belgian yeast flavors.

The 1st 3 Sheeps beer that I really liked.

Tried Ewephoria or the one off bottle Hoedown!?

Both pretty decent.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: May 30, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
I have been. Mike's an interesting dude, but you can tell he really knows his stuff. The beer was pretty solid. The sour was especially good, and I liked the pale ale's since they weren't too aggressively hopped. Bacon bomb is one you have to try. Super smokey rauchbier.

I went on a Saturday and it was organized chaos. I'd recommend a tasting flight if you want to sample them, it'll cut down on time spent waiting in line at the taps.

A good, low key tour that Mike prefers to lead. Mike has a variety of brewing choices he learned in Europe.  Open fermentation, some wood barrels, and heavy investment in the facility.  Just going retail in the last few weeks.  Bacon Bomb is very interesting.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #1479 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »
Anything you liked in particular from those New England breweries? Looking for a good summer brew available in New England. I think sam summer is solid but nothing too special. I hear good things about harpoon ipa but It's been a while since I've had it. Also a lot of people like allagash white. Anything that stood out to you?

Sam Adams was neat because that location is their test factory. We got to try a beer that wasn't even on the market. Allagash was neat. Really liked their Victor beer. Made from New York Cabernet Frac. Harpoon had no good ambers etc, but their IPA's were stellar.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1480 on: June 05, 2015, 07:22:08 AM »

Magic Hat Brewing is great in Vermont....#9 is an outstanding beer.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: June 05, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »

It's psychedelic-like inside the brewery if I recall too.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1482 on: June 05, 2015, 09:53:58 AM »

Really? It tastes like a fruit salad gone bad in my opinion. Sweet hot mess.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1483 on: June 05, 2015, 10:02:44 AM »

Ya sorry, #9 is a borderline average beer, if you're looking in Vermont hit up the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Lawsons's, Fiddlehead, etc.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: June 05, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
We're going to check out Brenner Brewing this afternoon, still need to check out Biloba Brewing.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1485 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
We're going to check out Brenner Brewing this afternoon, still need to check out Biloba Brewing.

I liked Brenner a lot.  The Bacon Bomb was outstanding....was disappointed they didn't have any of the oak barrel aged beer available when I was there.

The interesting thing with Brenner and Wisconsin Brewing....both are technically start-ups but not in the traditional micro brew model (scrap, beg, borrow, and steal equipment).  Both breweries invested a lot of coin in new equipment and facilities, will be interesting to see how they do.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: June 05, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
The interesting thing with Brenner and Wisconsin Brewing....both are technically start-ups but not in the traditional micro brew model (scrap, beg, borrow, and steal equipment).  Both breweries invested a lot of coin in new equipment and facilities, will be interesting to see how they do.

Wisconsin Brewing's facility is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see if they can get the foothold on the market to justify a brewery like that. So far I find their brand, and their beer, a touch generic. Nothing I'd go out of my way for.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1487 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:58 AM »
Wisconsin Brewing's facility is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see if they can get the foothold on the market to justify a brewery like that. So far I find their brand, and their beer, a touch generic. Nothing I'd go out of my way for.

Ultimately, I agree.  I like their beer and if it's available I'll drink (favorite right now is their Inaugural Red) but you are right there is nothing about them that really drives me to seek them out.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: June 05, 2015, 11:32:13 PM »
Had a 2012 Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek tonight. So damn good. The little eruption when the cork was pulled did lead to a little scare but that is one great beer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: June 07, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
I liked Brenner a lot.  The Bacon Bomb was outstanding....was disappointed they didn't have any of the oak barrel aged beer available when I was there.

They did have the oak aged Anxious on tap. All of the samples were good, none were any better than that IMO. Seems odd with all brand new equipment, especially the non-working super duper growler filler that even Rays doesn't need.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: June 07, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
Quinn's Amber Lager by Pecotonica Beer Company.  Delicious!  Like Fat Tire but better!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: June 25, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: June 25, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-06-25/can-craft-beer-survive-ab-inbev-

I didn't know Founders had sold 30% to another brewer

For the record Larry bell is not hurting for money despite what he seems to imply and he's a dick I was at his wedding, didn't even have an open bar (though it was bottomless champagne and caviar)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:22:08 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1493 on: June 26, 2015, 11:20:59 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-06-25/can-craft-beer-survive-ab-inbev-

I didn't know Founders had sold 30% to another brewer

As long as Goose Island keeps making BCBS I don't care who owns them. Most of the other stuff they have was pretty mediocre to begin with anyway.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: June 26, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
As long as Goose Island keeps making BCBS I don't care who owns them. Most of the other stuff they have was pretty mediocre to begin with anyway.

I beg to differ but that's ok.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: June 26, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »

Definitely a huge difference between the mass produced Goose Island stuff (Honkers, 312, etc.) and real craft stuff like their BCBS and Belgian beers (Sofie, Matilda, Pere Jacques, etc.). The good stuff is still made in Chicago while the rest of it is made in Budweiser breweries. Only thing similar is the label on the bottle, but might as well be a completely different company.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1496 on: June 26, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
Definitely a huge difference between the mass produced Goose Island stuff (Honkers, 312, etc.) and real craft stuff like their BCBS and Belgian beers (Sofie, Matilda, Pere Jacques, etc.). The good stuff is still made in Chicago while the rest of it is made in Budweiser breweries. Only thing similar is the label on the bottle, but might as well be a completely different company.

Pretty much nailed what I was trying to say. They often have some interesting (and pretty good) choices at the place on Clybourn as well, but the more mass produced stuff (312, Honkers, etc.) doesn't really impress me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: June 30, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »

Apparently, GI isn't cool enough for you then.

The quality has not dropped a bit.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1498 on: June 30, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »
Apparently, GI isn't cool enough for you then.

The quality has not dropped a bit.

My not being impressed by their more standard line of beers has nothing to do with me thinking its an uncool brewery, it has to do with the beer being just decent quality. I liked the Ten Hills a lot though.

I think they're kind of in the vein of (but much better than) Sam Adams, most of the stuff the make thats relatively easy to find is just decent/pretty good. Although I don't think Goose Island has made a beer as terrible as the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:52:35 PM by JuniorCardigan »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: July 07, 2015, 12:37:05 AM »
For those in the Carolinas who like a nice Hefe, Olde Mecklenberg's Hornets Nest is a very nice choice. It's on a limited run and it has to be refrigerated, so I only bought a couple of 6-packs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback