[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647352 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »
I'm a huge fan of stone and I've really disliked their smoked porters. The smoked chipotle porter was pretty awful, the chipotle flavor wasn't exactly what you would call "subtle."

I usually really like smoked beers, but I have to agree that Stone's are not very good. Tastes like what I imagine a dirty sweatsock would. Now Alaska Smoked Porter - AMAZING!
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1426 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »
The Chicago Tribune had an article about Minneapolis Breweries. Just came back from there this weekend and got a chance to visit the new Surly Brewery beer hall. Worth the trip. Enjoyed several beverages (liked their seasonal Mild) with good food and a great atmosphere. Also had the chance to tour Lift Bridge in Stillwater, another enjoyable outing.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: January 23, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
The Chicago Tribune had an article about Minneapolis Breweries. Just came back from there this weekend and got a chance to visit the new Surly Brewery beer hall. Worth the trip. Enjoyed several beverages (liked their seasonal Mild) with good food and a great atmosphere. Also had the chance to tour Lift Bridge in Stillwater, another enjoyable outing.

A visit to any brewery named Surly has to end in a good time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1428 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
No clocks on the wall.   Why?  
"I don't care what time it is.   I just know it's Surly"   (rimshot)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1429 on: January 23, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
We checked out the new Brass Tap in Greenfield for the MU game Wednesday, 80 beers on tap and none by Miller-Coors or AB (got to buy those in bottles). Still some growing pains being so new like the bartenders don't know the beers or even where everything is. They will fill 32 oz. growlers of any beer on tap, something about Greenfield ordinances don't allow 64 oz. growlers.

I tried a Brau Brothers peated scotch ale - I had never heard of this MN brewery before, a bit disappointing, thin head and little peat flavor.

BTW, they currently have Goose Island bourbon County stout and barleywine on tap.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: January 23, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
We checked out the new Brass Tap in Greenfield for the MU game Wednesday, 80 beers on tap and none by Miller-Coors or AB (got to buy those in bottles). Still some growing pains being so new like the bartenders don't know the beers or even where everything is. They will fill 32 oz. growlers of any beer on tap, something about Greenfield ordinances don't allow 64 oz. growlers.

I tried a Brau Brothers peated scotch ale - I had never heard of this MN brewery before, a bit disappointing, thin head and little peat flavor.

BTW, they currently have Goose Island bourbon County stout and barleywine on tap.

Nice to hear. Need my bonus check.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1431 on: January 23, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Update:  no growler fills on high abv brews like Bourbon County at Brass Tap. Still available on tap though #cheers

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1432 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
After two years of searching, found a Pipeworks' "Hey Careful Man, There's a Beverage Here".

Milk Stout that is light and delicious.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: January 26, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Just picked up SN Camp 2015, very very nice.  Will keep me company during this end of times blizzard.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/beer-camp-hoppy-lager

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1434 on: January 26, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
Just picked up SN Camp 2015, very very nice.  Will keep me company during this end of times blizzard.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/beer-camp-hoppy-lager

Saw that at my local Kroger last night.

I still owe you a 6 pack of something.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1435 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:44 AM »
http://www.perrinbrewing.com/#perrin-brewing-company

My current favorite local beer is the Perrin Black Ale.   I know it is on tap in about a 30 mile radius, but I don't think it has really gone outside Michigan yet.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1436 on: February 12, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
Didn't know Maui shipped as far inland as CO... is Coco Porter an easy find?  I'm in Denver next week and might have to pick some up.  Sure beats a take-home gift from the airport.

Sorry...completely missed this.  Not always easy to find, but I think primarily because the distributor doesn't  get much.  I'll see it pop up on shelves occasionally, and then be gone in a month or so.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Fathers Day suggestion if any of my kids are reading this:

http://Www.beercapmaps.com

Ludum habemus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1438 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
Sorry...completely missed this.  Not always easy to find, but I think primarily because the distributor doesn't  get much.  I'll see it pop up on shelves occasionally, and then be gone in a month or so.

Hey Rocky, I'm going to be in the Denver area next weekend for some skiing and good times with friends....where's a good place to go for quality microbrews on tap?  Specifically quality porters and stouts?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1439 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »
Hey Rocky, I'm going to be in the Denver area next weekend for some skiing and good times with friends....where's a good place to go for quality microbrews on tap?  Specifically quality porters and stouts?

Bummer, you just missed Stout Month (Feb) at Vine St. Pub (Mountain Sun...etc)!  But, we still have lots of beer...no fear! A good start with taphouses....(and one brewery)

Denver - Falling Rock Taphouse, Freshcraft, Cheeky Monk, World of Beer, Hops & Pie (This is the only one I haven't been to)

Boulder - Backcountry Pizza , Avery Brewery (new location, 30 taps, will fill a growler with anything...even 16% beers)

Winter Park - Cheeky Monk

Breckenridge - Après Handcrafted Libations

Vail - Vail Ale House

If there's any specific beer you're looking for, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:57:47 AM by rocky_warrior »

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #1440 on: March 07, 2015, 04:41:43 AM »
Going to Hawaii (5 days in Kaoai and 5 in Hilo) as a Road Scholar.  Any recommendations as to local brews? 
Thanks.
wb
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: March 07, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
Going to Hawaii (5 days in Kaoai and 5 in Hilo) as a Road Scholar.  Any recommendations as to local brews? 
Thanks.
wb

Maui Brewing Co. -- their coconut porter is fantastic.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1442 on: March 07, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
Thanks.
wb

Don't know when you are going, but the Kona Brewers Festival is upcoming.  Hopefully, that overlaps your Hilo stay.

http://konabrewersfestival.com

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1443 on: March 10, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
Ludum habemus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1445 on: April 01, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
so did anyone else manage to get any KBS?

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1446 on: April 01, 2015, 05:06:49 PM »
so did anyone else manage to get any KBS?

I've been fiending to try it, but I don't think I want it as bad as most who get it. At least the Binny's near me always has a BCBS on tap year round which will tide me over.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1447 on: April 02, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »
I've been fiending to try it, but I don't think I want it as bad as most who get it. At least the Binny's near me always has a BCBS on tap year round which will tide me over.

Even though I am biased, BCBS is better than KBS so you should be ok.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1448 on: April 02, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »

It's not even close how much better BCBS is than KBS. Although BCBCS vs. KBS would be more fair of a comparison in terms of style, but BCBCS makes the disparity even greater over KBS.

KBS is a good beer but not worth the trouble.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1449 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »

I try a bunch of "top rated" Bourbon Stouts (though never had KBS), and BCBS is consistently the most enjoyable.  Kudos to them for keeping a consistent product that also hard to rival.