[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 648928 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1400 on: November 28, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
We'll see if I get it (I mean, if they still have it tomorrow morning), If I do I'll post a pic.  It'd be my most expensive keg ever.  The current record holder was the 20 liter of Chimay white that I got a few years ago.

What's the tag?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1401 on: November 28, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »
What's the tag?

Kegs can be had Binny's Marcy usually around this time if you're willing pay - but you must go to the degobah.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1402 on: November 29, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
What's the tag?

$250 for 5 gal (about $4.50 per 12/oz)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1403 on: November 29, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
New wholesaler in Chicago decided to cut supply of variants to most shops....even i got shutout at my normal honey holes.

I thought you worked for Goose? Was I mistaken? If not, you don't get a token in-house bottle as a thank you?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1404 on: November 29, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
I thought you worked for Goose? Was I mistaken? If not, you don't get a token in-house bottle as a thank you?

We do get an employee allotment however I wanted more Proprietors if I could get some, but I didn't. Plus I like to be out at stores talking to fans. Though, the bar events are now more fun as my hangover today would indicate.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1405 on: November 29, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
We'll see if I get it (I mean, if they still have it tomorrow morning), If I do I'll post a pic.  It'd be my most expensive keg ever.  The current record holder was the 20 liter of Chimay white that I got a few years ago.

Sadly, It was reserved already this morning.  But, they thought they could get more, I have to call their beer guy on Monday.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1406 on: December 01, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
We do get an employee allotment however I wanted more Proprietors if I could get some, but I didn't. Plus I like to be out at stores talking to fans. Though, the bar events are now more fun as my hangover today would indicate.

One other question I have is that I've noticed this year's stout has two different abv markings (13.8 & 14.4). Is that down to the climate during barreling?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1407 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
One other question I have is that I've noticed this year's stout has two different abv markings (13.8 & 14.4). Is that down to the climate during barreling?

Correct. We normally do not control any of the temps in the bourbon barrel warehouse (only in the wine barrel part) but this past winter was so damn cold in Chicago we actually turned the heaters on a few days as we were scared the beer might freeze.

My personal taste is that I actually like the lower ABV - on both. Easier to drink right out of the bottle.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1408 on: December 01, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
Correct. We normally do not control any of the temps in the bourbon barrel warehouse (only in the wine barrel part) but this past winter was so damn cold in Chicago we actually turned the heaters on a few days as we were scared the beer might freeze.

My personal taste is that I actually like the lower ABV - on both. Easier to drink right out of the bottle.

Reinforces the living product. I find at times people expect it the same every single vintage without understanding the variables involved. Got to look around and try both versions.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1409 on: December 10, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
Founders Canadian Breakfast stout being released in very limited quantities.   Good luck.
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/12/cbs_founders_michigan.html#incart_river
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1410 on: December 11, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
Founders Canadian Breakfast stout being released in very limited quantities.   Good luck.
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/12/cbs_founders_michigan.html#incart_river

I had several bottles of IIRC, the 2009 release, those really needed a long time in the cellar to be at their prime but damn were they good then. Romans had the 2011 on tap in '12 and I didn't think it tasted like it was quite matured enough yet, besides the crazy price of something like $10 for 5 oz.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:48:16 AM by Michael Kenyon »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1411 on: December 11, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »

Didn't even know you could buy kegs of Chimay, I've only ever seen it in bottles around here.

I want a keg of Chimay Bleu now....

To the guy who said he liked Duvel, try a Tripel Karmeliet, much better IMHO.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1412 on: December 23, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »
Just got back from Honolulu and wanted to put a plug in for Kona Brewery. Pretty much every product we tried was very enjoyable. (Of course, it could have been the setting also.  ;) ) They have a restaurant on the island which is also worth a trip. Nice setting, good food and they brought samplers while we waited for our pizza.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1413 on: December 23, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
Didn't even know you could buy kegs of Chimay, I've only ever seen it in bottles around here.

I want a keg of Chimay Bleu now....

To the guy who said he liked Duvel, try a Tripel Karmeliet, much better IMHO.

How much would a keg of chimay run you, like 600 bucks?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: December 24, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Just got back from Honolulu and wanted to put a plug in for Kona Brewery. Pretty much every product we tried was very enjoyable. (Of course, it could have been the setting also.  ;) ) They have a restaurant on the island which is also worth a trip. Nice setting, good food and they brought samplers while we waited for our pizza.

Did you have anything from Maui Brewing Co.? Their Coconut Porter is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1415 on: December 26, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
Nope. Don't recall seeing anything offered in the bars we went to, and only a few Kona offerings in our small (but lively) hotel bar. Coconut Porter sounds unique to say the least.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1416 on: December 26, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
Did you have anything from Maui Brewing Co.? Their Coconut Porter is one of my favorite beers of all time.

That stuff is so good that my wife and I brought a few coconuts home from Maui for the sole purpose of cloning the beer.  The exchange went something like this:

Wife: "Why are you bringing coconuts home?"
Me: "For beer."
Wife: "I'll grab some more."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1417 on: December 26, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »
Nope. Don't recall seeing anything offered in the bars we went to, and only a few Kona offerings in our small (but lively) hotel bar. Coconut Porter sounds unique to say the least.

Huh, they distribute to Colorado (and it looks like most of the western states, plus Virginia and Maryland).  I didn't think coconut porter was that hard to get :)

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to mention, a buddy of mine has been looking for someone in Wisconsin to do so beer trading with (i.e. - You ship him stuff from New Glarus and other tasty and harder to find goodies from the state, and he reciprocates back to you with Colorado and other west coast hard to find stuff).  He's got quite an extensive collection, so if any beer snobs already have a good cellar, and would like to do some trading, PM me.  I'll get you two in contact.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1418 on: December 26, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »
Founders Canadian Breakfast stout being released in very limited quantities.   Good luck.

I've had this a few times now. It's easily the best beer I've ever tried. You can taste the bourbon, but it's still very smooth with a nice chocolate flavor.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1419 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:27 AM »
I've had this a few times now. It's easily the best beer I've ever tried. You can taste the bourbon, but it's still very smooth with a nice chocolate flavor.

Just to add on to my own post, for anyone in GR, Founder's seems to have actually made enough CBS this time. It's still hard to get outside their taproom, but I was there tonight (for the second straight weekend) and it was available the entire time I was there

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1420 on: December 28, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I will have to visit their construction site....err....tasting room this week.   For those who don't know, they are doing a huge expansion right now. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1421 on: December 28, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »
Went to Lift Bridge yesterday and picked up their Commander barley wine ale.  $18 for a 750ml bottle.

They've run out of it on tap, and have a few cases left.

Note:  barrel aged too.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:56:31 AM by real chili 83 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1422 on: December 28, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
For a couple actual tasting notes tried a couple bottles yesteday...

Port Brewing Barrel Aged Santa's Little Helper (Stout) - The first couple ounces were sweet, but good.  After that the sweetness was too much and it wasn't as enjoyable.

Copper Kettle Well Bred - Barrel Aged Barleywine - Not likely available to those outside Denver, but a good aged barleywine.  I enjoyed, even though I don't usually like the sweetness of barleywine.  Still..more enjoyable than the aforementioned stout.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1423 on: December 29, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »
Wife bought a smoked vanilla porter by Stone Brewing (San Diego) yesterday.  Highly reminiscent of the last iterations of my past trials to see how much chocolate malt I could cram into a batch before it offended.  Completely overwhelmed the smoked malt.  However, highly recommended if you like your porter on the burnt side.

Huh, they distribute to Colorado (and it looks like most of the western states, plus Virginia and Maryland).  I didn't think coconut porter was that hard to get :)

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to mention, a buddy of mine has been looking for someone in Wisconsin to do so beer trading with (i.e. - You ship him stuff from New Glarus and other tasty and harder to find goodies from the state, and he reciprocates back to you with Colorado and other west coast hard to find stuff).  He's got quite an extensive collection, so if any beer snobs already have a good cellar, and would like to do some trading, PM me.  I'll get you two in contact.

Didn't know Maui shipped as far inland as CO... is Coco Porter an easy find?  I'm in Denver next week and might have to pick some up.  Sure beats a take-home gift from the airport.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1424 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
Wife bought a smoked vanilla porter by Stone Brewing (San Diego) yesterday.  Highly reminiscent of the last iterations of my past trials to see how much chocolate malt I could cram into a batch before it offended.  Completely overwhelmed the smoked malt.  However, highly recommended if you like your porter on the burnt side.

I'm a huge fan of stone and I've really disliked their smoked porters. The smoked chipotle porter was pretty awful, the chipotle flavor wasn't exactly what you would call "subtle."

feedback