collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647370 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1350 on: July 29, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
I've started trying to drink local beer only.  Wherever I'm at I try to find a good beer that is relatively close.

I'm no beer expert, but I had what I thought was a great "Alt" beer from Metropolitan Brewery at a restaurant a few weeks ago.  They don't list this particular beer on their website. It is a beer that I'd never buy if I saw the bottle first,but since I was at a restaurant, it didn't come into play.  The bottle had some video game type of robot on it.  Very Strange.

Anyway, has anyone tried any of the other beers from this company:  http://metrobrewing.com/

Metropolitan is great. Right up there with Pipeworks as a great up and comer.

Metro only produces traditional lagers, an art not practiced much in the IPA craft typhoon lately. The beer you drank is actually Iron Works, a great offering. The 'alt' part is short for Altbier, German for Old Beer. Alt's use top fermenting yeast and are aged at a cooler temperature which give them a crisp, fruitier taste. I actually happen to have Iron Works along with some Generator (really good dopple) in my basement.

If you're in Chicago, grab Metro for lagers, Pipeworks for Ales and Goose Island to keep Chili happy.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: July 30, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
It's always been a hot mess but I didn't realize as much until I started drinking much better Imperial Stouts like Alesmith Speedway, Founders Breakfast Stout, etc. Then there are the barrel aged stouts which kick the crap out of DL like Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (yes I work for them but ours is the original and still best), Alesmith Barrel Aged Speedway Stout, some years of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, ect. I just think Dark Lord is all hype and not a good beer. Also, they are prone to infection problems at times.

It truly is amazing what is available at a fairly regular clip within this category but, as we know, hype can drive a beer for so long it seems some places go for that rather than quality.

I'm partial to Belgians so anything Struise does whether in barrel or not with Black Albert, Delphine, their Damnation series is in my cellar. Cigar City's Zhukov is tasty. Thornbridge and Thirsty Dog both have an underrated RIS. One of the best I've ever had is by TAPS out of SoCal called Remy. Blew me out of my chair as if I was at a late night bordello.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1352 on: July 30, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
Metropolitan is great. Right up there with Pipeworks as a great up and comer.

Metro only produces traditional lagers, an art not practiced much in the IPA craft typhoon lately. The beer you drank is actually Iron Works, a great offering. The 'alt' part is short for Altbier, German for Old Beer. Alt's use top fermenting yeast and are aged at a cooler temperature which give them a crisp, fruitier taste. I actually happen to have Iron Works along with some Generator (really good dopple) in my basement.

If you're in Chicago, grab Metro for lagers, Pipeworks for Ales and Goose Island to keep Chili happy.

Don't forget about Half Acre either.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: July 30, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
Don't forget about Half Acre either.

I didn't. I love Half Acre too, Daisy Cutter is better than Zombie Dust and you can buy it anyday of the week.

Pipeworks just dominated the Ales and Metro for lagers. Half Acre for everything.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: July 30, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »
I assume that Metropolitan is only available in Chicago?  I really liked that AltBier.  I'm not big on IPA's.  More of an Pale Al or Czech-Pilsner, Guiness, or Kolsch drinker. 

I've noticed that Goose Island is not brewed in Chicago anymore.  Disappointing.  Or is the product sold in Chicago still brewed there? 

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1355 on: July 30, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
I assume that Metropolitan is only available in Chicago?  I really liked that AltBier.  I'm not big on IPA's.  More of an Pale Al or Czech-Pilsner, Guiness, or Kolsch drinker. 

I've noticed that Goose Island is not brewed in Chicago anymore.  Disappointing.  Or is the product sold in Chicago still brewed there? 

Most of their stuff is still brewed in Chicago. I believe only 312 and Honker's Ale are brewed out of state in New York and Colorado since Anheuser-Busch InBev bought Goose Island in 2011. Don't worry though all the good stuff (ie. the Bourbon County line and the Vintage Ale line) is still brewed in Chicago.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »

Correct, metro-Chicagoland only.

As JoeSmith said, GI does their own brewing still, but not 312 & Honk's.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1357 on: July 30, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »

Nope, I am sitting in our marketing office right now with our brewers in a meeting. We still brew 75% of different beers at our Fulton Street Brewery.

To add to Chicago Breweries my favorites are Off Color, Penrose(well they're in Geneva), Revolution, Two Brothers Sidekick Pale Ale (also in the burbs) & Half Acre. 
But I like to throw handfuls...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1358 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1359 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1360 on: August 01, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »
I think Revolution usually needs to be thrown into the Chicago brewery conversation as well. I've really liked everything I've tried (mainly Anti-Hero, Double Fist), the only one of their beers I've had that I don't really care for is the Rosa.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: August 01, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »
I think Revolution usually needs to be thrown into the Chicago brewery conversation as well. I've really liked everything I've tried (mainly Anti-Hero, Double Fist), the only one of their beers I've had that I don't really care for is the Rosa.

Agree. Revolution is the best in Chicago.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: August 01, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »
Most of their stuff is still brewed in Chicago. I believe only 312 and Honker's Ale are brewed out of state in New York and Colorado since Anheuser-Busch InBev bought Goose Island in 2011. Don't worry though all the good stuff (ie. the Bourbon County line and the Vintage Ale line) is still brewed in Chicago.
Good to know.  My grocery store only has the stuff not brewed in Chicago (brewed in Colorado).  I guess it is time to shop somewhere else  :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: August 01, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
Anyone know of any good breweries or brew pubs in Philly?   

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1364 on: August 01, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
Anyone know of any good breweries or brew pubs in Philly?   

When in doubt, check on BeerAdvocate.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/13/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1365 on: August 01, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
I'm partial to Belgians so anything Struise does whether in barrel or not with Black Albert, Delphine, their Damnation series is in my cellar.

I share your taste for Belgian beers, and have found that Boulevard Brewery in KC does some fantastic ones.  The Sixth Glass strong Belgian ale, Long Strange Tripel and Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale are all excellent.  IMHO the Boulevard offerings are worlds better than the "standard" US-made Belgian offerings from Ommegang.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: August 01, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:21:24 AM by madhouse »

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #1367 on: August 01, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »

Agree 100%. Their Bottom Up Wit is probably my favorite beer right now, and I'm a big fan of their Cross of Gold, Anti-Hero, and Double Fist on the IPA side. The Rosa is interesting. And by interesting, I mean it doesn't taste like beer.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: August 08, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »
Great Taste is tomorrow, I know I've got my tickets...  Anyone that is interested here is the lineup for the local bars that pair with breweries!

http://greattaste.org/great_taste_eve/

See you there!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: August 11, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
I've had a few bottles of Central Waters La Petit Mort - a collaboration with Local Option. I really like this one.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1371 on: August 30, 2014, 12:36:33 AM »
Ballantine is back after years of disappearance....the original IPA in the U.S.

http://gizmodo.com/how-pabst-brought-a-136-year-old-beer-back-from-the-dea-1628690352

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: September 15, 2014, 07:58:56 AM »
Enjoyed a few Founders All Day IPAs over the weekend.  Good hop, not over powering, but really solid and smooth going down.  A bonus, the 15 pack of cans, is only $18.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #1373 on: September 15, 2014, 02:07:07 PM »
Swung by 3 floyds over the weekend.  Picked up their Man - o - Awe, which I absolutely love.  Big APA fan here.  Like the IPAs and DIPAS but am a little more particular in those categories.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: September 15, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
Enjoyed a few Founders All Day IPAs over the weekend.  Good hop, not over powering, but really solid and smooth going down.  A bonus, the 15 pack of cans, is only $18.

Founder's decided to make a mainstream, easy drinking, lighter summer beer, realizing they had nothing for the casual beer drinker.    I agree with your assessment. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.