collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644660 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1325 on: April 07, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
So I finally found a 6-pack of Zombie Dust this year. Has someting changed?

Don't get me wrong here, it's good. Really good.

However, I do not think it's the best APA ever though. Give me Sierra Nevada, Daisy Cutter, Burning River and Founders over Zombie Dust.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:58:57 AM by PTM »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #1326 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:34 AM »
It's a funny world we live in when a guy who frequents an Internet message board can try to make fun of others for being a geek.

To get back on topic, it looks like I missed the bottle release of KBS this year. All my usually beer spots had week day releases and by the time I go off work they were sold out. I did make it to the sugar maple tapping last week and got 2 glasses before the keg kicked. Fantastic stuff.

I wasn't making fun of him.  In fact, I appreciate the geeky passion and give it utmost respect.  If I opened a fridge and saw those 3 bottles, I would be amused.  Definitely a great conversation starter!  Let me know how they taste!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
So I finally found a 6-pack of Zombie Dust this year. Has someting changed?

Don't get me wrong here, it's good. Really good.

However, I do not think it's the best APA ever though. Give me Sierra Nevada, Daisy Cutter, Burning River and Founders over Zombie Dust.

Agreed.  ZD is good, but not out of this world.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: April 07, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
I could drink Daisy Cutter every day for the rest of my life and be ok with it.

Went on the Half Acre tour a couple weeks ago, its worth a trip, if you are in the Chicago area.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
Today is National Beer Day!

1st day after Prohibition that beer was legal, booze was still illegal until the end of the year.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #1330 on: April 07, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »

1st day after Prohibition that beer was legal, booze was still illegal until the end of the year.

In order to enjoy this day, don't you have to have at least 1 scar on your liver?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »

Holy sh*t! National Beer Day is my birthday and I didn't know it?!!!! Well I've been celebrating properly anyways. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: April 19, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
Sitting in Smalley's Carribean BBQ right now, enjoying a Midnight Ryder American Black Ale from Indeed Brewing Co.

Nummy

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: April 20, 2014, 01:26:41 AM »
Agreed.  ZD is good, but not out of this world.

I really enjoyed my Zombie Dust.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: April 20, 2014, 08:10:31 AM »
I tried DuClaw Brewing's Sweet Baby Jesus (a chocolate peanut butter porter) at the in-laws yesterday, from Baltimore and pretty good IMO, don't knock the peanut butter beers until you've tried some. I also had their Dirty Little Freak (coconut chocolate brown ale), not bad considering it had coconut in it but not great either. Yes, these were given to me by a woman, you knew they were chick beers from the styles.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:36:51 PM by Tyrion »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
Local golf course had Left Hand Sawtooth Ale on nitro.   It was very nice after a round of golf...

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #1336 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to try some Epic Big Bad Baptist.  WOW is that a strong start…. was too cold at first.  Once it warmed up, it was an excellent glass.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:01 AM »
Anyone get their hands on the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America 12-pack? If so, thoughts?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: July 22, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
I was lucky enough to try some Epic Big Bad Baptist.  WOW is that a strong start…. was too cold at first.  Once it warmed up, it was an excellent glass.

I have a bottle down in the cellar. :)

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1339 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Anyone get their hands on the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America 12-pack? If so, thoughts?

Sharing a few of them tonight with a friend (who was cool enough to share these with me) - I'll report back.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: July 25, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
I've started trying to drink local beer only.  Wherever I'm at I try to find a good beer that is relatively close.

I'm no beer expert, but I had what I thought was a great "Alt" beer from Metropolitan Brewery at a restaurant a few weeks ago.  They don't list this particular beer on their website. It is a beer that I'd never buy if I saw the bottle first,but since I was at a restaurant, it didn't come into play.  The bottle had some video game type of robot on it.  Very Strange.

Anyway, has anyone tried any of the other beers from this company:  http://metrobrewing.com/

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1341 on: July 26, 2014, 12:55:15 AM »
A friend of mine got a bottle of Pliny the Elder for me the other day. It was really outstanding.

I also had the opportunity to sample a Dark Lord. My disappointment is immeasurable. Borderline undrinkable

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1342 on: July 26, 2014, 02:42:02 AM »
Sitting in Smalley's Carribean BBQ

Roy?

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »
A friend of mine got a bottle of Pliny the Elder for me the other day. It was really outstanding.

I also had the opportunity to sample a Dark Lord. My disappointment is immeasurable. Borderline undrinkable

Too sweet?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1344 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »

Most overrated beer in the world. It tastes like boozy hot soy sauce. I still, and I am ashamed I spent so much money on them, about 14 bottles in my cellar.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #1345 on: July 26, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »
Most overrated beer in the world. It tastes like boozy hot soy sauce. I still, and I am ashamed I spent so much money on them, about 14 bottles in my cellar.

I love 3Floyds, and I always wanted to try Dark Lord, when I finally had the opportunity I was shocked, it was not what I expected.  I love challenging beers, but Dark Lord tasted like a mixture of motor oil and bourbon.  That being said, I wouldn't say it's overrated, but BIG in every way. First taste is holy crap, it levels out ok, but the bottom of the glass as it warms up is wow.  Not a session beer, I wouldn't buy 14 of them, but worth the effort to try if you dabble in beer tasting.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: July 26, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »
I love 3Floyds, and I always wanted to try Dark Lord, when I finally had the opportunity I was shocked, it was not what I expected.  I love challenging beers, but Dark Lord tasted like a mixture of motor oil and bourbon.  That being said, I wouldn't say it's overrated, but BIG in every way. First taste is holy crap, it levels out ok, but the bottom of the glass as it warms up is wow.  Not a session beer, I wouldn't buy 14 of them, but worth the effort to try if you dabble in beer tasting.

Completely disagree. The beer is hot mess and completely out of balance for a Russian Imperial Stout and even Barrel Aged beers. I think FFF does a great job with hoppy beers but and some of their monthly beers (Moloko for instant) but Dark Lord just sucks.

Now the event is still a blast to go to every year - but would never spend a dime on another bottle. If any wants any verticals let me know.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: July 26, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »
Completely disagree. The beer is hot mess and completely out of balance for a Russian Imperial Stout and even Barrel Aged beers. I think FFF does a great job with hoppy beers but and some of their monthly beers (Moloko for instant) but Dark Lord just sucks.

Now the event is still a blast to go to every year - but would never spend a dime on another bottle. If any wants any verticals let me know.

I've never had a chance, interested.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: July 29, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »

Had you always disliked it or was it standard fare early in your beer drinking and perhaps lost luster as your palate developed? It's a beer that certainly engenders strong opinion either way.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
Had you always disliked it or was it standard fare early in your beer drinking and perhaps lost luster as your palate developed? It's a beer that certainly engenders strong opinion either way.

It's always been a hot mess but I didn't realize as much until I started drinking much better Imperial Stouts like Alesmith Speedway, Founders Breakfast Stout, etc. Then there are the barrel aged stouts which kick the crap out of DL like Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (yes I work for them but ours is the original and still best), Alesmith Barrel Aged Speedway Stout, some years of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, ect. I just think Dark Lord is all hype and not a good beer. Also, they are prone to infection problems at times.

Now for a different thing, if anyone is looking to drink a ton of insane beers this Saturday at 6pm at Goose Island Wrigleyville as we try and raise money for one of our former brewers kids who has brain cancer. Here are the details as well as what we're (Goose Island) are bringing:

Goose Island Wrigleyville is celebrating their 15th Anniversary. In collaboration with the Illinois Craft Brewers' Guild, we invite you to join us for an evening of local beer and food in the shadow of Wrigley Field.

Proceeds benefit Gordon Biersch and former Goose Island brewer, John Wyzkiewicz's six year old son, Bodhi, who in May 2013 was diagnosed with a highly malignant form of childhood brain cancer, medulloblastoma. His prognosis is excellent, and the Chicagoland craft beer community has rallied to raise money to help defray some of the costs associated with Bodhi's ongoing care.

Be sure to purchase an official 2015 Brewers of Goose Island Beer Company Calendar. Trust us, you don't want to pass up this calendar. All Proceeds from calendar will go directly to the family of Bodhi.

Tickets: http://goose15.brownpapertickets.com/

-Participating Breweries include:
-Revolution Brewing
-Rock Bottom - Warrenville
-Temperance Beer Company
-Atlas Brewing Company along
-Penrose Brewing
-Perennial Artisan Ales
-Solemn Oath Brewery
-Illuminated Brew Works
-Goose Island Beer Co.

We are also very excited about Gunthorp Farms joining us for this event for a pig roast in our Beer Garden!

*Check back for more participating breweries.

feedback