'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Favorite DJames memory?  (Read 14336 times)

nola03

Re: Favorite DJames memory?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
Without exaggerating, there are 15-20 moments that were amazing. Just to stay recent, I'll go with:

**The block on 6'7'' Scotty Hopson of Tennessee. Hopson was downright stunned.

**The one-handed reach behind the head alley-oop from the @Villanova game. At 5'11'', it almost defies physics.

**Most importantly, I felt Dominic James was the one voice that glued the transition from Crean to Buzz for those of us who were wary of where Marquette was headed. That was maturity defined.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
His put back dunk (off a of 3 pointer....an he came out of no where!!!) at WVU his freshman year that was by far his most ridiculous play!!

Love this kid and will really miss seeing him play.

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:01 AM »
**The block on 6'7'' Scotty Hopson of Tennessee. Hopson was downright stunned.

Ditto.  One of the two times he made sports center top 10 this year.  I think the other was as a three he hit from about 40 feet out.

Dom's ability to marshall the ball this year was phenomenal, it's heartbreaking to see him out.  We will also miss his leadership on the court.  I think one of my favorite little examples was when he pulled Lazar back from getting in Harangody's face after a contested basket.  Dom thank you for four years of greatness.  You were part of what made the games so fun to watch.  You kept our team at the top for four years and made us proud of Marquette.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
The way he took ownership this year, put the team before him, and became a great floor leader.

This is what I'm going to miss most of all. What a shame. It's so unfair to this tremendous kid and tremendous athlete. He will continue to lead this team...even if it's from the bench.

Mr. Acker...Your table's ready!

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Two moments stick out for me.

#1 The double technical at UW last year.  Hughes pissed off James, you don't want to piss off James.  I turned to my three buddies and screamed: "WE'RE GONNA WIN!!"  Sure enough, he dominated the rest of the game, fed Burke like crazy and then delivered the exclamation point with the rejection on Hughes.

#2 @DePaul his freshman year.  He was right in front of the students and the ball went out of bounds, clearly off of him.  The refs missed it and gave the ball to MU.  The students went berserk and Dom looked at them, smiled and pulled his jersey up over his smile.  Absolute stones!

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »
The way he took ownership this year, put the team before him, and became a great floor leader.

AMEN... DJ really showed leadership this year after Tommy left.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
The Duke game two years ago.  He was a flat out monster.  Knocking down free throws to beat Pitt.  The list could go on and on.  The kid is a warrior and a great player.  He never shied away from a big situation and always seemed able to step up.  He's been a great leader.  It was great to get to watch him for 4 years.  Really sucks that he'll miss senior night and his last chance at NCAA glory.  Great Player.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 12:35:47 PM »
oh he'll be at senior night.  and he will get the loudest cheer that any athlete has ever heard in that stadium.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 04:31:09 PM »
I thought when he deliberately took time to go over and shake the hand of one of the Kentucky players in the NCAA tourny last year after the game.  It got a shout out from Jay Bilas on his blog as the best instance of sportsmanship at that regional.  It shows his class and represents MU well.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
January 2007 game at Pitt when he sealed the deal at the free throw line after being thugged for 38 minutes.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »
1. The Hughes block......I have that framed in my basement.
2. Valpo...clutch
3. @ NCSU
4. kicking Duke's a$$

most of all......I'll miss his moxie and the evolution of his game from scorer to distributor/defender.  Despite the critics, his game improved annually and he became such a well-rounded player.  He's been a tremendous player for MU rah-rah.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
When little shaq got to meet him at the open scrimmage this past fall.  Little shaq was really sad last night when he learned his favorite player had broken his foot.  He loved the fact that DJ was a little guy with "superhero strength  and jumping ability."  If you've ever had a chance to meet DJ, you realize quickly what a great kid he is. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
When little shaq got to meet him at the open scrimmage this past fall.  Little shaq was really sad last night when he learned his favorite player had broken his foot.  He loved the fact that DJ was a little guy with "superhero strength  and jumping ability."  If you've ever had a chance to meet DJ, you realize quickly what a great kid he is. 

A great memory...my kids met DJ a few yrs ago as well, he was very nice to them.  DJ took a photo with my oldest son -- I sent it to DJ hoping he'd autograph it....he did, and sent it back to me.  The photo is framed in my son's room.

Needless to say, my guy is not happy today.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 01:35:06 AM »
Listening to Homer and Mac call the games from the computer on my kitchen table, and all the times Homer would gush "Oh, BABY!!," and then describe the latest indescribable thing James just did.  I loved his will.  The way he went about his business, coming back to improve his game, naysayers be damned, and leading this team the way he did, spoke volumes about his heart and character, and I think MU fans around the country admire him for that, as much as for the excitement he created on the court. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:55:10 AM by MOwarrior »

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 04:39:53 AM »
I will never forget the game against Valpo. DJ took over that game. Most importantly for me is the picture on the left of MUScoop. DJ was pointing up to me and the other MU fans around me. Probably in my top 3 of college memories. Dominique, I am pointing back at you. Thank you for everything.

feedback