[Today at 07:56:19 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: buzz says that Jame's career at Marquette is over....  (Read 16055 times)

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
buzz says that Jame's career at Marquette is over....
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
OMG....Thank you James, you were one of the best!!!

MUWarrior06

• Starter
Re: buzz says that Jame's career at Marquette is over....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
I expected this. One place in the foot you absolutely do not want to fracture. Tough break.

He gave his heart to this program and I give him credit. He's earned a lot of respect.

I just hope Acker can play as well as he did tonight the rest of the year. He filled in well and did all anyone could ask of him.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »
Just made Senior Night alittle more tougher for emotions.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
Very tough to swallow for DJ.  His leadership will be missed on the court, but hopefully he can motivate Mo and Cubes to step it up.  Too bad for one of our great players.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:02 PM »
As a fan for many years, I cant remember an event that affected this program as much.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:44:52 PM by Knight Commission »

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
Buzz was all class talking about how he & MU will be always behind DJ for what ever he needs.   Wow, I can't believe how cruel the injury bug bites us late in the season

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
dieners neck injury, jerel, and dominic's injury. What do we have to do to stay healthy.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
tough, tough... he was a warrior and should not have had to go out like this.  man... i wish nothing but the best for DJ... the young man was all class and heart.  my favorite of the bunch.  i'm having a hard time with this one... no way for a warrior to go out.   :'(
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »
Tough tough pill to swallow. I think I'm still in denial. :'(
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
He was also just 36 points shy of passing George Thompson for 2nd on the all time mu scoring lists.  Its a shame he had to go out like this.  I wish him the best of luck in the NBA

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »
Personally, I can't even find any words to say right now for how painful this all is.  If you took the feeling I had after the Gaines, Garcia, Jerry Smith, and Lopez buzzer beaters, and the feeling I had when I learned Diener broke his hand, we're not even halfway there with how I'm feeling right now  :'(

It's not right.  Not for a kid like DJ.  Not for his family.  Not for his teammates.  Not for Marquette University.

We'll have to fight on without him.  But damn does this hurt. 
The General has taken on a new command.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
dieners neck injury, jerel, and dominic's injury. What do we have to do to stay healthy.

Wasn't Diener's a hand injury? Either way, this is ridiculous. Let's hope Cadougan can carry on DJ's legacy.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »
As a fan for many years, I cant remember an event that affected this program as much.

I think Diener going down leaving us with no point guard was worse.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
I think Diener going down leaving us with no point guard was worse.

Maybe, but even with Diener that team was a borderline NCAA team at best.  This team had a shot at winning the toughest conference in basketball and being a top seed in the NCAA tournament with DJ.  Without him, we'll struggle to win a game the rest of the year.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
i dont know about anyone else but yea i love our guards, but i am sick and tired of being so small and having to overcome height no matter who were playing, even if its houston baptist.  yes james will be missed and missed big time, but i cannot wait until the future when we actually have a balanced team.  im tired of this crap!

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
Maybe, but even with Diener that team was a borderline NCAA team at best.  This team had a shot at winning the toughest conference in basketball and being a top seed in the NCAA tournament with DJ.  Without him, we'll struggle to win a game the rest of the year.

No. There is no maybe about it. Losing Diener was far worse. Thanks again to Crean's inability to put together more than one class in four years, I believe we actually had a walk-on running the point for a few games.

It was the most painful basketball I've ever watched. Marcus Jackson was bringing the ball up the court during some games.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:17:21 PM by SCdem@MU »

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »
I hate you Jones' fracture!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU SUCK!!

Please let everyone take the vitamin D and tums from now on!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
No. There is no maybe about it. Losing Diener was far worse. Thanks again to Crean's inability to put together more than one class in four years, I believe we actually had a walk-on running the point for a few games.

It was the most painful basketball I've ever watched. Marcus Jackson was bringing the ball up the court during some games.

You must have missed when Logterman ran point under O'Neill and we went 11-18. That was the most painful basketball I've ever watched.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »

It's not a question of what resulted in worse basketball, it's a question of which team had more to lose.  Diener was a great player, but even with him at 100% they had only an outside shot at making the tournament.

This was one of the truly special teams in MU history.  We may never see a collection of guard talent especially senior guard talent like this again in our history.  We had the opportunity to win what nearly everyone is calling the toughest conference in the country, perhaps the toughest conference ever.  We had the opportunity to be one of the top seeds in the NCAA tournament and make a deep run. 

Now, we've got nothing, and quite honestly we'll be lucky to win another game.

Friends call me Shaka

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
You must have missed when Logterman ran point under O'Neill and we went 11-18. That was the most painful basketball I've ever watched"

You obviously didn't watch a Bob Dukiet coached team in the late 80's when A. Candelino was PG.

Also, I loved this comment:
"yes james will be missed and missed big time, but i cannot wait until the future when we actually have a balanced team.  im tired of this crap!"

My God - we were 8th in the country -

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
Yes, Logterman running the point was awful basketball.
Yes, the Diener injury hurt.  But that team was going nowhere.  Would have been lucky to win 1 game in the tourney.

But this is worse than I've felt in a long time.  James gave MU everything he had and his injury is not only devastating to him, but to Matthews and McNeal as well.  They've played so well together and overcome so much to put together a great season.  Even if we won tonight, I'd have felt terrible.  It's just not right.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
DJs defense was the best this year
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
I'm still in shock.  I didn't see it happen, and we just got more and more nervous as the half went on looking for him on the bench.  I mentioned in a blog post early in the year that one player from the 1950s told me at a game that Dominic was playing the best defense he had ever seen a guard play at MU.  Price is awesome, but now way he scores 34 with DJ on him.

I agree - I will always believe this team would have made an Elite 8 run with DJ - but have to give up.

As for greatest loss ever - as sick as I am write now Chones was the biggest loss ever.  No. 2 in the country at 21-0 with him, to 4-4 without him.  This year we do still have phenomenal guards to pick up the pieces.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
I know everyone feels bad now, but just prepare yourself for the next day or two when you are forced to see/hear Tom Crean's comments on DJ's injury. I am assuming sadness will turn to some form of anger at that point. You've been warned.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »
I know everyone feels bad now, but just prepare yourself for the next day or two when you are forced to see/hear Tom Crean's comments on DJ's injury. I am assuming sadness will turn to some form of anger at that point. You've been warned.

why should his comments matter? i assume he would be nothing but sympathetic, but maybe that's just my lapse in logic.  I am sure he feels for DJ.

warrior_jr

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
No. There is no maybe about it. Losing Diener was far worse.

We went to Freedom hall the game after that and lost by 44 points or so.  So, yeah I'd say that was worse (Todd Townsend has the sickest dunk of his career in that game though).  

And to respond to some posts earlier... yes it was a hand injury, not neck.