[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler...  (Read 5653 times)

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Jimmy Butler...
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »
I came away from today's game very impressed with his play. Long, quick, and in control. Looks like he's definitely going to earn some playing time this season. He was also 7-7 from the line which might be the most impressive statistic from today's boxscore. Other than that, Lazar was really impressive with 23 and 13. I've got a good feeling about this group.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Jimmy Butler...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
I just love that fact that he brings height to our backcourt.  He seems to get fouled a lot down low, and as long as he hits his free throws that's perfect.  His defense seemed to be alright, got lost a few times but solid overall. 

Otule might be able to provide some inside scoring if we can feed him underneath.  He did foul out, but in his defense some of the calls on him were pretty ticky tac foul calls.  Of course Lazar and Jerel were the best today, but Mcneal needs to hit more free throws.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:25:05 PM by Jeronne_toMU09 »

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
I thought Butler was written off after the Midnight Madness practice? In fact, I believe I read that he was likely to be a "waste."

I guess making strong statements like that based on 20 minutes of scrimmage is a little reckless.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
I was impressed with both Butler and Otule.

Butler brings a tall swing man who can handle the ball and is good down low.  Many times he kept the ball alive on offense and he was hitting his free throws.

Otule I was very impressed with.  The man brings size, but with his size he flashed some good post moves that resulted in points.  Granted he was guarded by #34, and for anyone was at the game, #34 on CSU-Pueblo was the hated man on their team, and for good reason. 

It really looks like Buzz is giving McNeal free range of what to do on offense, shoot the three, drive to the hoop, everything is open for McNeal to do, which is great to see.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 04:33:20 AM »
I couldn't really take much out of the game.  It was against a D2 school and we looked sloppy at alot of times. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

JSwarriors08

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »
I couldn't really take much out of the game.  It was against a D2 school and we looked sloppy at alot of times. 

I disagree.  I think there are still a lot of things that we can look at in this game and be encouraged by.  With Jimmy, he looked in control down low and while attacking loose balls.  That is something that has been noticeably absent on our team the last few seasons.

In addition, I felt like this is one of the few games where we went in and rolled in a game where we should have.  When Tan Tom was here, it seemed like we would always have won a game like that by an unconvincing 12 points, and have been up by about 5 or 6 consistently throughout.  With the exception of a few, I thought these kinds of games were always the worst to watch with him, because we continually played down to frustratingly insignificant opponents.  Yesterday it seemed like we were in control and truly played above the other team, albeit with significant amounts of rust.  I'm hoping this is a byproduct of Buzz's ability to bring focus to the team to help reign them in a bit.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »
What a waste of a thread... just kidding.

Butler will create some matchup problems for teams that put a smaller 2G on him. Quick, strong, and his size gives our backcourt some versatility. Defensively he needs some work, but I like the dimension he could add off the bench.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
Since I was the first to make comments regarding JB I am not one to run and hide. Right now I stand by my comments. So far we have seen that JB can shoot FT. MUFAN is correct that his defense is very suspect right now and if you cannot play defense I don't believe that you will play for Buzz in meaningful situations.

3 of JB's rebounds came all from the weekside where he was able to take advantage of his size difference to gather these in, but unfortunately he was not strong enough (against D2 players, not BE) to turn these into baskets, FT yes, but not baskets.

JB is suppose to have a great shooting touch and we have not seen it. for a team that shot 30% from outside the arch it would be good to have seen some from JB and again that was in a game against significantly lower competition than we will see in the BE. 2 shots in 19 minutes??

He did have one good drive in the first half when took the ball from the left elbow and drove the lane, but he was not able to finish and make the basket.

Again I hope I am wrong and that JB improves dramatically, but if anyone thinks he will average more than 4 points a game this year let me know and we can discuss a friendly wager.  He is right now our 10th man and if Cuby is healthy will see very few minuntes in any meaningful games.

I am glad others see the potential in Otule, as I said in the same posting where I shared my concerns about JB I also praised CO and that he was far better than I hoped. He has good hands and needs to get much stronger, you can tell he is still not totally comfortable with his size, but he has the skills and instincts to be a good player down the road and should offer some solid minutes behind Burke.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
We don't need his scoring...we need his rebounding and that's the biggest positive I took away from the game with Jimmy.  He crashed the glass and kept possessions alive and got a few others.  I'm sure he wasn't trying to be too aggressive but maybe he'll look for his shot a bit more as the season progresses but behind the big 4, shots will be few.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »
Based on my memory he finished on a drive he was fouled on for the only basket he made. The amount of rebounds he got for the time he played was impressive. Only Otule and Butler were new players, so they have much more to learn. Otule did not jump much. I am not sure if they are coaching him not to leave his feet, but he often appeared to be a flat footed rebounder. I was unimpressed with that.

feedback