Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: We were no longer recruiting Jamil Wilson...now I have no freaking idea....  (Read 50899 times)

drbchilds

• Starter
It's not because we felt we were out of it, but more due to the fact that we already have his position covered with 3 forwards.  A little disappointing, but I still feel even if Snaer or Colvin don't sign, this is still one of the best classes we have ever had.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:43:26 AM by drbchilds »

SoCalstu09

• Starter
Re: We are no longer recruiting Jamil Wilson
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
I know that we were recruiting him up till Marquette Madness. He was scheduled to be in attendance, and for whatever reason, decided not to show up. I have a friend who was in charge of waiting for him and his family at the Al left hanging. This was more of his choice, than ours.
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, his volleyball team played until later in the day Saturday, so he had no choice but to miss it.

Regardless, with Roseboro on board, no need for his position. Hopefully the staff can lure Chris Colvin and put the finishing touches in a very strong class.

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:52:25 PM »
I know that we were recruiting him up till Marquette Madness. He was scheduled to be in attendance, and for whatever reason, decided not to show up. I have a friend who was in charge of waiting for him and his family at the Al left hanging. This was more of his choice, than ours.

After the scrimmage there was a big kid with H on the back of his letterman jacket on the floor. I thought that might have been him? Any idea's?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:29:44 PM by MUFan71 »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »
With Roseboro, MU now has three forwards in the 2009 class. The main reason...?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
Anybody have a source or is this just pure speculation?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »
Anybody have a source or is this just pure speculation?

Not sure if it's just speculation, but Dr. Childs historically has been very accurate with his information.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
Mark Miller's Site had it:

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=123&id=963691

Marquette University has pulled out of the recruiting sweepstakes for Racine Horlick senior Jamil Wilson.

Horlick coach Jason Treutelaar confirmed today Marquette coach Buzz Williams called Wilson and his father on Monday evening with the news the Golden Eagles were no longer actively recruiting the talented 6-foot-7 senior.

Marquette received a verbal commitment from 6-9 senior Brett Roseboro of Quakertown, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, which in effect ended the Golden Eagles’ pursuit of Wilson. Marquette had previously received verbal commitments from forwards Jeronne Maymon of Madison Memorial and Erik Williams of Houston, along with guards Junior Cadougan of Houston and Dwight Buycks of Indian Hills Community College and Milwaukee Bay View.

Michigan State appears to be the current leader for Wilson, who is ranked No. 2 among state prospects in the class of 2009 by Wishoops.net. Oregon and Texas also remain in the hunt for Wilson, who may take an official visit to Oregon on Nov. 6-7.

jce

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »
Mark Miller's Site had it:

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=123&id=963691

Marquette University has pulled out of the recruiting sweepstakes for Racine Horlick senior Jamil Wilson.

Horlick coach Jason Treutelaar confirmed today Marquette coach Buzz Williams called Wilson and his father on Monday evening with the news the Golden Eagles were no longer actively recruiting the talented 6-foot-7 senior.

Marquette received a verbal commitment from 6-9 senior Brett Roseboro of Quakertown, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, which in effect ended the Golden Eagles’ pursuit of Wilson. Marquette had previously received verbal commitments from forwards Jeronne Maymon of Madison Memorial and Erik Williams of Houston, along with guards Junior Cadougan of Houston and Dwight Buycks of Indian Hills Community College and Milwaukee Bay View.

Michigan State appears to be the current leader for Wilson, who is ranked No. 2 among state prospects in the class of 2009 by Wishoops.net. Oregon and Texas also remain in the hunt for Wilson, who may take an official visit to Oregon on Nov. 6-7.

Oregon?  Boy the last few months have really limited his options.  I bet if he could do this entire thing over, he would have declared much earlier.

On an interesting side note, I coached against the other kid mentioned in the article - Mike Boebel from Marshall - when he was in sixth grade.  You could see then what a player he was.  Glad to see he's getting a scholie somewhere.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
hopefully im wrong about this one, but it seems a bit odd to take a relatively unknown kid who has 'blown up' in the past 2 months than to pursue a top 100 kid in your back yard that you may have had a very good shot at snagging. I cant doubt Buzz in this aspect because we havent seen any of his recruits yet, so i hope he's right on this one. Maybe he knew jamil was headed to MSU?

I think its a bit risky to take a kid who has impressed in the last month over one who has impressed over the last 2 yrs but dropped in the last few months- maybe one is on the way up and the other on the way down, but we are talking about a top 100 kid and a top 300 kid, with the top 100 kid being local and the 2nd best player in your state. Maybe this is why coachs have scouts i suppose. And even if Roseboro impresses everyone and lives upto the coachs expectations, does even that make him better than Wilson?? We shall see

Heres to hoping Roseboro is the stuff the staff thinks he is

MarkMiller

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
Roseboro is a better fit in that his skill set is different than Wilson's and he thus fits in better with Maymon and Erik Williams.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »
Roseboro is a better fit in that his skill set is different than Wilson's and he thus fits in better with Maymon and Erik Williams.

you are confident that he is a better fit? if you are then im on board. however, having different skill set doesnt make you a better fit. I have always thought that college basketball was about taking the best players possible, with keeping in mind academic and personal concerns (amoroso, mason, mbakwe, etc etc) I believe that if you take the best players, they can fill their different roles. That said, you dont want 5 of the same type of player on the same team.

However, ill give an extreme example. Some might say, and said last season, that mo acker's pass first type of skill set where he sets everyone up better fits this teams style than DJ's because of DJ's erratic play and shoot first mentality at times. That, to me, is pure bullocks. Id take DJ any day in the lineup over acker, as id take a top 100 player over a top 300 player and then find a way to make it fit

I know i know thats why the recruiters are there and the rankings arent always a good representation. All im saying is that conceptually, if Wilson is much more skilled than Roseboro like the rankings say, Id def go after Wilson, even if his 'skill set' wasnt what you were looking for to compliment everyone else.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »

I think that is probably accurate.

I have never seen any of these kids play, so I cannot comment on specifics.

However, I can speculate that there is only 1 ball used in a regulation game, and only 40 minutes of game time. Therefore, I don't know if it's always the best decision to keep piling up a bunch of recruits who want/expect to play a lot.

I'm not saying MU shouldn't stockpile talent, but there is a fine line between getting talent and getting players that fit together.

We'll see if Buzz made the right call.

MarkMiller

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Put it this way ... Wilson is much more like Erik Williams and Jeronne Maymon than Brett Roseboro.

Finding the right players with the right mental makeup is key along with finding the best players available.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
Wilson should have committed earlier.  He goes from a top ten recruit to a much lower ranking.  Goes from the best player in state, to the second.  Loses his spot on a Big East team close to home to an unranked prospect from Quakerstown.  Goes to probably bench warming at MSU and Texas, both of whom are loaded.  Or, goes out to Oregon and is miserable being far away from home in a rural environment.  Shame, he would have look good in blue and gold with his family rooting him on in the stands.  

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »

Oregon?  Boy the last few months have really limited his options.  I bet if he could do this entire thing over, he would have declared much earlier.

On an interesting side note, I coached against the other kid mentioned in the article - Mike Boebel from Marshall - when he was in sixth grade.  You could see then what a player he was.  Glad to see he's getting a scholie somewhere.

I'd love to play for Oregon.  Ernie Kent was one of my favorite speakers at clinics I go to, and these includes Roy Williams, Billy Donovan, Jim Calhoun etc.  He has a player friendly offense, his teams have had success, and he's put players in the NBA. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »
you are confident that he is a better fit? if you are then im on board. however, having different skill set doesnt make you a better fit. I have always thought that college basketball was about taking the best players possible, with keeping in mind academic and personal concerns (amoroso, mason, mbakwe, etc etc) I believe that if you take the best players, they can fill their different roles. That said, you dont want 5 of the same type of player on the same team.

However, ill give an extreme example. Some might say, and said last season, that mo acker's pass first type of skill set where he sets everyone up better fits this teams style than DJ's because of DJ's erratic play and shoot first mentality at times. That, to me, is pure bullocks. Id take DJ any day in the lineup over acker, as id take a top 100 player over a top 300 player and then find a way to make it fit

I know i know thats why the recruiters are there and the rankings arent always a good representation. All im saying is that conceptually, if Wilson is much more skilled than Roseboro like the rankings say, Id def go after Wilson, even if his 'skill set' wasnt what you were looking for to compliment everyone else.

Having a different skillset can absolutely make a player a better fit.  You can't just have a bunch of perimeter shooters, or a bunch of slashers, or a bunch of inside guys etc.   It limits what you can do offensively, and limits your ability to win games.  To be successful at the highest levels, you need to have multiple players with multiple different abilities so that you don't get tied down into only being able to play one way. 

Individually, Wilson probably is more skilled or more talented than Roseboro.  But this isn't an individual game.  The things he's good at are things that are already provided by Maymon, Williams, and to a lesser extent Fulce and Hayward.  It's a nice idea to say you'd make it work with players of similar skills, but the reality is it generally doesn't work out.  Not only is it very tough to get a player to adapt their game into something they generally aren't good at, it hampers the other players and the team as a whole because their abilities won't be utilized in the best way possible.

In order to maximize the talents of those other players, you need the variety that someone like Roseboro may provide.  It would be a different story if Wilson were a highly ranked player based on ability as a great perimeter shooter, or if MU didn't already have the guys they do.  But recruiting doesn't happen in a vacuum, you have to get players with abilities that mesh well....sometimes that means passing on a highly ranked kid.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:30 PM »
I know nothing, of course, but I trust Buzz on this one. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
I have no idea, but I wonder if Wilson not making midnight madness turned Buzz off. Buzz has repeatedly stated that he wants players who want to be at Marquette. If Wilson did not show up without calling Buzz, I would think that would turn Buzz off.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »
I have no idea, but I wonder if Wilson not making midnight madness turned Buzz off. Buzz has repeatedly stated that he wants players who want to be at Marquette. If Wilson did not show up without calling Buzz, I would think that would turn Buzz off.

Right, so Buzz told him to "Buzz Off".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

nola03

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
Disappointing. But closure.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »
Wilson is a tremendously gifted athlete-----I don't think he has received the type of coaching on the HS or AAu level that would allow him to develop on schedule-----if anyone can bring it out of him it's Izzo!

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »

Jamil had a HS volleyball tournament that ended up going into Midnight Madness.  If his team was out earlier he would have been there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
Jamil had a HS volleyball tournament that ended up going into Midnight Madness.  If his team was out earlier he would have been there.
I definitely do not doubt this.  I coach high school volleyball in Wisconsin and varsity conference tournaments were this Saturday.  I know for a fact that they played in the championship match.  I'm not sure the format of their tournament, but if they were in the championship match they were probably there pretty late.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »
Best of luck to him at MSU or Texas, but MU got the real prize when Maymon committed.  Wilson through no fault of his own has been over-rated since he entered HS.  It doesn't make him a bad kid but it does make him a less than desired recruit.  He is not anywhere near the program changer that people have made him out to be.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart