Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Chris Colvin to visit Marquette.  (Read 12048 times)

cyismydog

• Walk-On
Chris Colvin to visit Marquette.
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »
He is visiting Marquette on an official next week.
http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/highschool/blog/2008/10/20/31/
If you guys get another recruit that ISU was a leader or co-leader of before you offered (Buycks, Maymon), I will really start to hate Marquette basketball recruiting. ;)

nyg

• All American
Re: Chris Colvin to visit Marquette.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »
I would be believe Colvin would be behind Snaer and Wilson on MU staff's wishlist.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:07:35 AM »
He is visiting Marquette on an official next week.
http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/highschool/blog/2008/10/20/31/
If you guys get another recruit that ISU was a leader or co-leader of before you offered (Buycks, Maymon), I will really start to hate Marquette basketball recruiting. ;)

Don't forget about Jimmy Butler, but hey look at the bright side....you got Scott Christopherson from MU.

nola03

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
I would be believe Colvin would be behind Snaer and Wilson on MU staff's wishlist.

Bringing a combo like Colvin in for an official this late in the recruiting period shows they want to add to their SG options and, to me, shows that Snaer is not playing in the Big East.

No surprise and considering the amassed talent of our 09 class it isn't that big of a negative.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Who besides Tobias Harris and Colvin will be there this weekend
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
Is Kyle Kelm still in the picture for MU?

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
Marquette Madness recruits...
Sasa Borovnjak (09)
Chris Colvin (09)
Tobias Harris (10)
Rod Odom (10)
Shane Southwell (10)

Possibility of others, not sure though. Also, Maymon will be in attendance.
Tradition Never Graduates..

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
Marquette Madness recruits...
Sasa Borovnjak (09)
Chris Colvin (09)
Tobias Harris (10)
Rod Odom (10)
Shane Southwell (10)

Possibility of others, not sure though. Also, Maymon will be in attendance.

Odom may not make it.  A quote from Zagsblog last week: "He plans to visit Georgetown for Midnight Madness on Oct. 17 and may try to squeeze in another visit to Marquette this month, “but I don’t think he’s going to be able to do Marquette,” Odom Sr. said."

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/10/11/boston-college-offers-odom-will-visit-gtown-ru/

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
Bringing a combo like Colvin in for an official this late in the recruiting period shows they want to add to their SG options and, to me, shows that Snaer is not playing in the Big East.

No surprise and considering the amassed talent of our 09 class it isn't that big of a negative.

Just like Signing Maymon and E Williams put Jamil Wilson out....right?  Give me a break, now maybe he won't play with Marquette, but having another 2 gaurd in for MM doesn't mean he's out. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »

I would expect Snaer to make up his mind this week. If he goes elsewhere, then it makes sense to bring in another recruit. If he commits to MU, then they will not be recruiting Colvin. You have to continue to recruit until you know what happens.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »
+1 bilsu. 

Is it just me or are more recruits' names being thrown into the mix lately?  Like...since Buzz took over.

I honestly don't remember hearing much about recruits the first three years I was here except for Shumpert. 

Maybe I just wasn't paying much attention?

nola03

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »
Just like Signing Maymon and E Williams put Jamil Wilson out....right?  Give me a break, now maybe he won't play with Marquette, but having another 2 gaurd in for MM doesn't mean he's out. 

I have not once written that Wilson was out of the picture. In fact, I've wanted Buzz to land Jamil since his first day on the job (which I believe was somewhere around 193 days ago, give or take).

Keep recruiting until you know what happens is how another poster phrased it. With recruiting, you have to read between the lines. Colvin is just another example of that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 10:23:51 PM »
I've wanted Buzz to land Jamil since his first day on the job (which I believe was somewhere around 193 days ago, give or take)

The stats page says 196 days.  The stats page doesn't lie.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=stats

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 08:19:42 AM »
I have not once written that Wilson was out of the picture. In fact, I've wanted Buzz to land Jamil since his first day on the job (which I believe was somewhere around 193 days ago, give or take).

Keep recruiting until you know what happens is how another poster phrased it. With recruiting, you have to read between the lines. Colvin is just another example of that.

I agree with you, but why would Wilson then narrow his schools and include Marquette?  If he picks Marquette then your theory is out the window.

jce

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
Is Kyle Kelm still in the picture for MU?

I think it really going to depend how this year goes for him.  Buzz made the offer...so it's out there...but if he doesn't take that next step, I'm sure he will fall off their radar.  I mean, right now he's been offered by the likes of ISU, Bradley, and UWGB.

nola03

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »
I agree with you, but why would Wilson then narrow his schools and include Marquette?  If he picks Marquette then your theory is out the window.

Colvin/Snaer is different then Wilson/Maymon/Williams. We are nearly set at the 1/2 with Acker, Cadougan, and Buycks. We need one more option for the long term. It's an either/or with Snaer or Colvin (if either of the prospects even picks MU).

With Wilson, Maymon, and Williams they are filling the 3/4 spots with an eye on the 5 if Buzz sticks with his 5 small lineup. The reason they are highly valued and highly rated is due to versatility. In essence, it's not an either/or situation since multiple positions are involved.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »
+1 bilsu. 

Is it just me or are more recruits' names being thrown into the mix lately?  Like...since Buzz took over.

I honestly don't remember hearing much about recruits the first three years I was here except for Shumpert. 

In the past there was not much to pay attention too.  Crean would recruit a few high flyers yet inexplicably not recruit many kids that you would think we should.  Meanwhile the guys we are not recruitng sign with our competition and the guys he is recruitng sign with bigger name programs.  then Crean scrablles and fills the spots with the likes of Kinsella, berkowitz, christion, Bradley, Lott, and on and on.  Not to be too unfair to him he signed good class his first year and we reaped a Final 4.  But after that his classes were so poor we endured 2 NITs in a row.  then he signed another good class in this years 4 seniors and we have gone to 3 staright NCAA's.  Thank God for Buzz's recruiting efforts this summer or we would be entering another dark stretch.   Bottom line is you did not hear all that much becisue crean did not work that hard at recruitng and he was not recruitng enough big name guys, i dont think he ever felt he could land them at MU.  i think Shumpert sealed the deal in his mind.  Come on who would not be impressed by some clown coming out of a limo at midnight with a handful of balloons??  Who ever said Crean was all pomp?  That has changed.   
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:03:18 AM by MR.HAYWARD »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
+1 bilsu. 

That's because buzz "keeps things close to the vest" unlike "the peacock" crean!

I think it is about the same as it was 3 years ago, although bloggers do nothing but continue to increase the transperency of the process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:05:51 PM by RawdogDX »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »

In the past there was not much to pay attention too.  Crean would recruit a few high flyers yet inexplicably not recruit many kids that you would think we should.  Meanwhile the guys we are not recruitng sign with our competition and the guys he is recruitng sign with bigger name programs.  then Crean scrablles and fills the spots with the likes of Kinsella, berkowitz, christion, Bradley, Lott, and on and on.  Not to be too unfair to him he signed good class his first year and we reaped a Final 4.  But after that his classes were so poor we endured 2 NITs in a row.  then he signed another good class in this years 4 seniors and we have gone to 3 staright NCAA's.  Thank God for Buzz's recruiting efforts this summer or we would be entering another dark stretch.   Bottom line is you did not hear all that much becisue crean did not work that hard at recruitng and he was not recruitng enough big name guys, i dont think he ever felt he could land them at MU.  i think Shumpert sealed the deal in his mind.  Come on who would not be impressed by some clown coming out of a limo at midnight with a handful of balloons??  Who ever said Crean was all pomp?  That has changed.   

Not to take the thread off topic, but I think the 2 NITs that MU had were just part of a learning/growing process for a program on the rebound with a young head coach.

Crean did some things well, while he was deficient in some areas as well. I'm certainly not making excuses... just trying to be a realist when evaluating a coach and when setting up expectations for our current coach.

My guess is that we will see some ups and downs with Buzz as well. He has very limited coaching experience, so he is similar to Crean in that he will be learning how to run a large, (relatively) high profile program.

He appears to have some sort of "Texas charm" as he has been able to land some good recruits and hire good assistants. We'll see what kind of floor general he is.

Buzz could turn out to be an awesome coach, but certainly he will experience his share of successes and failures.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
Sorry but the 2 NITS had nothing to do with coaching prowess.  Did the NCAA have to do with coaching prowess?  and then he isnatantly got dumber?  Crean has never been a good coach, still today he is not a good coach.  he works hard and likes to get maximum publicity of rlittle accomplishment but i think he has very little intuitive feel for the game.  at least that has been my impression.  The reason we went to the NIT is After his 1st class his next 3 or 4 classes were very poor.  he did get Diener and Novak, But Novak was so limited in what he could bring to a team apart from shooting. Only other good recruit was Mason who immediately bolted.  Apart from thos three he recruited a dozen or so players that were arguably not D1 players, at a minimum they were not C_USA contributors.  Let's not confuse it with coaching ...Crean did not all of a sudden become a genius again when he signed the 3  amigos.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
Sorry but the 2 NITS had nothing to do with coaching prowess.  Did the NCAA have to do with coaching prowess?  and then he isnatantly got dumber?  Crean has never been a good coach, still today he is not a good coach.  he works hard and likes to get maximum publicity of rlittle accomplishment but i think he has very little intuitive feel for the game.  at least that has been my impression.  The reason we went to the NIT is After his 1st class his next 3 or 4 classes were very poor.  he did get Diener and Novak, But Novak was so limited in what he could bring to a team apart from shooting. Only other good recruit was Mason who immediately bolted.  Apart from thos three he recruited a dozen or so players that were arguably not D1 players, at a minimum they were not C_USA contributors.  Let's not confuse it with coaching ...Crean did not all of a sudden become a genius again when he signed the 3  amigos.

For clarification, I consider  x and o's, recruiting, program management, marketing and player academics as part of the responsibilities of the college coach.

don't think that Crean suddenly became smart or dumb at basketball, I do believe that he was still developing his skills in all of the areas listed above.

I was using the generic term of "coaching" for all of the roles that a coach has.

I do not want to turn this into a "Crean evaluation thread", I'm simply trying to state that ultimately (young) coaches are humans that have strengths and weakness and will evolve with experience.

My assumption is that Buzz will excel in some areas and need work in other areas (similar to our old coach).

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
Not to be a Crean defender BUT one of those NITs may have had something to do with Diener, the teams point guard, leading scorer and mr everything going down for the season in late February.  Take Stephen Curry off Davidson in late February and they are likely NIT bound

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
 ::)
Can people stop quoting him it defeats my ignore button.

cyismydog

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »
http://ilprepbullseye.com/page47.html
Also 2012 Phenom Bobo Drummond, and '10 guard Lavonte Dority, and cameron harvey.

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
Nothing really new here, but an update from bullseye.

http://ilprepbu.ipower.com/page20.html

Finally A List For Colvin That Has Significance

October 20, 2008

11:00 A.M. CST

At long last there is finally some information surrounding the recruitment of Chris Colvin that we can regard as concrete.  Up until now it had all been speculation and hearsay.  But then again, such is the nature of the internet, where there is no such thing as accountability, objectivity gets thrown out the window and fans will believe any tidbit that comes their way on the web if it is favorable to their school.

With that being said, Colvin is now down to four schools and before he makes his final decision will have taken official visits to all of them.  They are Providence, Iowa State, Marquette and USC.  Colvin has already visited both Providence and Iowa State and his next official visit will be to Marquette next weekend for their Midnight Madness, where everyone can best believe that the Marquette faithful will pull out all the stops in their effort to land Colvin.  He visited USC unofficially last month and is scheduled to take a return visit there on November 5, which will be an official. 

At the present time we believe that all four of the schools that remain in the running for Colvin's services stand an equal chance of landing him.  Colvin's final four also provides a great illustration of the factors that in all likelihood will come into play with respect to his final choice, which include connections and relationships, style of play and possibly location.  Both Providence assistant coach Rodell Davis and Iowa State assistant coach Daniyal Robinson are extremely well-connected throughout the Chicago area and as a result have built strong relationships with many recruits and their families.  As for USC, the Colvin family has known head coach Tim Floyd for years and therefore has a very strong relationship with him as well.  Marquette is close to home and offers a style of play which emphasizes guard play and is most conducive to Colvin's game.

Over the past few months we continually hinted at how speculation concerning how heavily both Illinois and Kentucky were involved in Colvin's recruitment was being massively overblown.  But of course, it didn't stop plenty of internet "analysts" with attachments to both of those schools from writing about it despite the lack of concrete information.

Colvin has also finally determined a timetable for making his decision, as he has said that he plans to announce in November right around the start of the Fall signing period.

Continue to check in with Illinois Prep Bulls-eye for all of the latest as it pertains to recruiting and high school basketball in Illinois.

feedback