[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8339026 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9600 on: September 22, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »
Borzello thinks Grimes to Kansas. He doesn't believe that prescence of another point guard doesn't matter as he can play both on and off ball.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #9601 on: September 22, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »
Borzello thinks Grimes to Kansas. He doesn't believe that prescence of another point guard doesn't matter as he can play both on and off ball.

Buzz kill :P

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9602 on: September 22, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Well atleast we tried...

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #9603 on: September 22, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »

It's not like any of this is new information, and doesn't sound like he has inside information. Definitely not going to let this random prediction get me down about our chances.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9604 on: September 22, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »

Could end up being the case, but there is a loooong way to go in this recruitment.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #9605 on: September 22, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
Sorry, but gotta defend Jay Bee here.  He spends a lot of time watching these kids play and notices guys with potential long before any of us have heard of them.  And I have to agree with him, the Crystal Ball is completely lame.  It's based on a bunch of "experts," usually with little or no information other than what is made public in player interviews and offers, guessing which school they are going to go to.  What's more, they can change their guess any time they want, and many of them do at the last possible minute when information has leaked about what a player's decision is, and that is what determines their "percent correct" on whatever stupid stats the site keeps.  A lot of times it is the homer writers predicting a kid will go to the home team.  Completely worthless when you compare it to the information we get from Jay Bee, Freeport and Big Daddy.  Even Mark Miller, who sadly participates in the Crystal Ball exercise, drops a gem on us now and again. 

Those that have been around Scoop long enough know that if you cite Crystal Ball, you're going to get a comment from Jay Bee.  In fact, many times people come in an attempt to good-naturedly preempt his comment. If you don't like it, you can ignore him.  It works pretty well.  However, I will note that it's extremely difficult to ignore Sand-Knit, because he says such ridiculous stuff that people are always quoting him before responding to his ridiculousness.   :o
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #9606 on: September 22, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »

FWIW, I don't think the family connection to Kansas is worth much. I've heard that if it was up to the mom, he'd be in Blue and Gold.

I've heard the same thing about Mrs. Grimes. And she's a Jayhawk!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9607 on: September 22, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
I've seen way too many examples of kids who "would be at school X if it was up to his mom/dad/parents" and ends up at school Y to get excited about that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9608 on: September 22, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
So with Quickely expected to announce his commitment today and the possibility that it could ultimately have an effect on Quentin Grimes's decision, let's take a look at what the experts are predicting for his decision to be.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Immanuel-Quickley-at-John-Carroll-School-148233/CurrentExpertPredictions

It looks like Kentucky is the heavy favorite.  That would be helpful, especially if Devon Dotson chooses Kansas.  Based on the expert predictions, it looks like Kansas is the favorite for his services, but Florida is gaining some momentum.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Devon-Dotson-at-Providence-Day-School-155792/CurrentExpertPredictions

It may not end up mattering, but it can't hurt, so let's hope the experts are correct in both of these cases!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9609 on: September 22, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »
Well atleast we tried...

So he committed, hey?
I must have missed that.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #9610 on: September 22, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
So with Quickely expected to announce his commitment today and the possibility that it could ultimately have an effect on Quentin Grimes's decision, let's take a look at what the experts are predicting for his decision to be.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Immanuel-Quickley-at-John-Carroll-School-148233/CurrentExpertPredictions

It looks like Kentucky is the heavy favorite.  That would be helpful, especially if Devon Dotson chooses Kansas.  Based on the expert predictions, it looks like Kansas is the favorite for his services, but Florida is gaining some momentum.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Devon-Dotson-at-Providence-Day-School-155792/CurrentExpertPredictions

It may not end up mattering, but it can't hurt, so let's hope the experts are correct in both of these cases!

I know there's quite a lot of commentary about how valuable the crystal ball predictions are, and that "experts" can help their percentages by making changes throughout the year as new info comes out.  But I wish 24/7 would track that a bit more and track percentages historically.  That way there is more credence to certain "experts" making earlier predictions and we can value those earlier predictions (or not value them) a bit more.

That aside, has there been any discussion about when Dotson was thinking about making a decision?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9611 on: September 22, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
I've seen way too many examples of kids who "would be at school X if it was up to his mom/dad/parents" and ends up at school Y to get excited about that.

Yep. I even gave an example of one in my post. I was more counteracting the "his mom went to KU so he must be going there" argument.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9612 on: September 22, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »
That aside, has there been any discussion about when Dotson was thinking about making a decision?

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/20/devon-dotson-weighing-options-florida-visit/

Just took his visit to Florida. Dad say he plans to take a week off and consider his options. Could mean a commitment is coming soon. Could mean he wants to open up his recruitment to other schools.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9613 on: September 22, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »

Here's what I don't get about Kansas. Their fans and some of the experts would have you believe that KU is going to have a ton of minutes available for freshmen in 18-19. They will graduate PG Devonte' Graham and Wing Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk....but they have a ton of talent coming in from transfers....that won't likely go pro. Here's what their depth chart looks like for 18-19:

PG: Charlie Moore (12.2 ppg 3.5 apg at Cal), Marcus Garrett (2016 Top 50 PG)
SG: Malik Newman (11.3 ppg at MS State), Sam Culiffe (9.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg at AZ State)
SF: LaGerald Vick (7.4 ppg at Kansas), KJ Lawson (12.3 ppg 8.1 rpg at Memphis)
PF: Dedric Lawson (19.2 ppg, 9.9 rpg at Memphis), Silvio De Sousa (2017 top 40 PF), Mitch Lightfoot (back of the bench at Kansas)
C: Billy Preston (2016 top 25 PF), Udoka Azubuike (5.0 ppg 4.4 rpg at Kansas)

If Grimes wants to play from day 1 is he really going to be able to beat out Senior LaGerald Vick, Redshirt Junior Malik Newman, Redshirt Junior KJ Lawson, Junior Sam Cunliffe, Redshirt Sophomore Charlie Moore, and Sophomore Marcus Garrett for minutes? You add Devon Dotson or any other guards to the mix and its getting really crowded for playing time. Maybe Preston and Vick go pro, but both of those are big maybes. I can't find any current mock drafts that list either of them as a first round pick.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:44:20 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9614 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

Which would be a fine point had Grimes not eliminated Arizona within an hour of Quinerly's commitment. Now maybe they were on the fringe anyway, but that seemed like a quick and decisive reaction to knowing you'd likely be off the ball quite a bit.

Sorry, but gotta defend Jay Bee here.  He spends a lot of time watching these kids play and notices guys with potential long before any of us have heard of them.  And I have to agree with him, the Crystal Ball is completely lame...

Those that have been around Scoop long enough know that if you cite Crystal Ball, you're going to get a comment from Jay Bee.

No one doubts his credentials. But the trolling narrow of crying "Waaaaah Cristal Bowel" every time it's mentioned is like having to put up with a know it all teenager. Everyone knows its value, when it's worth paying attention to, and Jay Bee's obnoxious expected response. Just because we all know the first thing he does when he logs on to Scoop is search "Crystal Ball" so he can mock other posters doesn't make it any less annoying or inane.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9615 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
Which would be a fine point had Grimes not eliminated Arizona within an hour of Quinerly's commitment. Now maybe they were on the fringe anyway, but that seemed like a quick and decisive reaction to knowing you'd likely be off the ball quite a bit.

Yep. And it doesn't seem like Arizona was on the fringe. Earlier in the week he had listed Arizona as one of his three schools who were definitely getting a visit. I also recall Miller bringing the entire AZ staff to watch a few of Grimes' games.

Of course we don't know the whole story. Maybe Miller had told him that he was the only guard they were after or that he would hold off an accepting any other commitments until he heard from Grimes. Maybe it wasn't about splitting time, maybe it was about feeling lied to. Who knows?
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9616 on: September 22, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/jbbauer612/status/891383025304387584

Dotson is legit. If QG was OK playing off ball a ton, could work together... but I think MU has a better sell w/QG at 1, Markus playing off more
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #9617 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
I think we need to show QG some love on Twitter when he comes and visits the weekend of 10/20. He was eating up the love he was getting from UT fans. Time to make a few new accounts!

Cream Biggums

• Starter
« Reply #9618 on: September 22, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »
Sorry, but gotta defend Jay Bee here.  He spends a lot of time watching these kids play and notices guys with potential long before any of us have heard of them.  And I have to agree with him, the Crystal Ball is completely lame.  It's based on a bunch of "experts," usually with little or no information other than what is made public in player interviews and offers, guessing which school they are going to go to.  What's more, they can change their guess any time they want, and many of them do at the last possible minute when information has leaked about what a player's decision is, and that is what determines their "percent correct" on whatever stupid stats the site keeps.  A lot of times it is the homer writers predicting a kid will go to the home team.  Completely worthless when you compare it to the information we get from Jay Bee, Freeport and Big Daddy.  Even Mark Miller, who sadly participates in the Crystal Ball exercise, drops a gem on us now and again. 

Those that have been around Scoop long enough know that if you cite Crystal Ball, you're going to get a comment from Jay Bee.  In fact, many times people come in an attempt to good-naturedly preempt his comment. If you don't like it, you can ignore him.  It works pretty well.  However, I will note that it's extremely difficult to ignore Sand-Knit, because he says such ridiculous stuff that people are always quoting him before responding to his ridiculousness.   :o

One of these is not like the others

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #9619 on: September 22, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
I think we need to show QG some love on Twitter when he comes and visits the weekend of 10/20. He was eating up the love he was getting from UT fans. Time to make a few new accounts!

Get Durant on the job

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #9620 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/jbbauer612/status/891383025304387584

Dotson is legit. If QG was OK playing off ball a ton, could work together... but I think MU has a better sell w/QG at 1, Markus playing off more

Thanks, Jay Bee, appreciate your insight.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9621 on: September 22, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
Sorry, but gotta defend Jay Bee here.  .   :o
Agree with all you say here Mom.  Jay Bee certainly knows his stuff and has valuable input on these various MU boards.  Just gets kind of snarky to others about stats, FTs and the Crystal Ball.  Does not need to do that.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #9622 on: September 22, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
This thread is becoming a Jay Bee circle jerk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9623 on: September 22, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »
BeeJay couldn't hold my jock strap on the basketball court even if we could freeze him for the next 12 years while I catch up to his old ass in age.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9624 on: September 22, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
BeeJay couldn't hold my jock strap on the basketball court even if we could freeze him for the next 12 years while I catch up to his old ass in age.

Ha!